Would you consider Batman as Adaptive?

#1 Posted by GUNaDAM (5 posts) - - Show Bio

Recently I attempted to update Batman's power list by adding "Adaptive" to it. My submission was denied, and it was suggested for me to poll other users regarding the matter.

My argument is that adaptive relates to the hero's ability to adapt to almost any situation: be it in a fight or an environment. Sure, there are different levels of adaptation: such as Mystique's ability to adapt to her environment via shapeshifting. But, I noticed that some of the top Adaptive heroes are: Spike, Shikamaru, Captain Picard, and Kenshin (all of which don't have a supernatural means of adapting).

And I figured that if heroes like Shikamaru are considered adaptive, then why not Batman? As a master of disguise and of thinking on his feet, wouldn't Batman be one of the best examples of an adaptive hero?

But, that's just my opinion. What does everyone else have to say? What are your definitions of adaptive? Is it an ability that only metahumans have, or can normal people display it?

#2 Posted by Eternal Chaos (22990 posts) - - Show Bio

It is arguable. I can see how he's adaptive but it's not exactly a physical trait of his so that wouldn't really count. His body isn't changing to fit the scenario, he's equipping himself so that wouldn't exactly count.

#3 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

Having looked at the rankings, there are a few people I would say don't have that power. I would say the power refers to exactly that, a power that allows them to adapt to changes in their situation. Batman and some of the others are adapting through a change in strategy, which is more an intellect/tactical thing.

#4 Posted by GUNaDAM (5 posts) - - Show Bio

So, would most people agree that Adaptive should be limited to only metahumans with DNA-altering abilities (like Shapeshifting)? And if that's the case, all the human heroes (like Captain Picard and Shikamaru) should have adaptive edited out of their power list, right?

#5 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say so, though my concern is that it just becomes another word for shapeshifting.

#6 Posted by Heart of Infinity (1045 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say a clear definition of the power is in order

on a personal basis I would say batman should get the adaptive if a character like shikamaru has it and he just adapts to situations by battle strategy

Adaptive is a generalized word. Normal humans can adapt to the enviroment changes such as i.e. putting on a jacket when it gets cold.

Batman does not have any superpowers yet we list other abilities like stamina and insanley rich into superpowers (well the superpower list should be changed to attribute list anyway)

If we agree that adapt shouldnt be on the list since its too much of a generalization and you want to change the category to natural biological adaptation then thats different untill then batman should get the ability

I am going by the definition that would be given in the dictionary

#7 Posted by GUNaDAM (5 posts) - - Show Bio

^^^ I agree.

#8 Posted by GUNaDAM (5 posts) - - Show Bio

That's true. What would differentiate "Adaptive" from "Shapeshifting" then? What makes adaptive different? Could adaptive be a human-based ability, one which is equivalent to a metahuman's shapeshifting power?

#9 Posted by Buckshot (18919 posts) - - Show Bio

Cosmic Sentinel says:

"Having looked at the rankings, there are a few people I would say *don't* have that power. I would say the power refers to exactly that, a power that allows them to adapt to changes in their situation. Batman and some of the others are adapting through a change in strategy, which is more an intellect/tactical thing."

I agree with this. His way of adapting is a mental thing that I would think falls under his intellect rather than a separate power.

I wouldn't even call pure shape shifters "adaptive" as there's already a shape shifting power. I would say characters like The Fury, Cyborg Superman, Darwin, Lifeguard, etc are adaptive because they can literally come up with new powers that directly respond to whatever situation they're in. Another reason I'd use that power for them is because they might not keep the power or change they've made so adaptive can stay there for the long term instead of adding and removing powers for every fight they have where they've adapted differently and come up with a new set of powers.

#10 Posted by GUNaDAM (5 posts) - - Show Bio

^^Nicely put.

#11 Posted by Sling Shot (3560 posts) - - Show Bio

Eternal Chaos says:

"It is arguable. I can see how he's adaptive but it's not exactly a physical trait of his so that wouldn't really count. His body isn't changing to fit the scenario, he's equipping himself so that wouldn't exactly count."

You stole my Gredel Prime avatar. lol (not really lol)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.