Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23645 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Worst Case Scenarios For "A Death Of The Family"

wessaari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By wessaari

Now there is alot of speculations for the upcoming Joker arc, and most if not all of the Bat-Family will participate and fall victim to the Joker's plan. But who are the ones who will suffer the most from the "Death of the Family".

These are WORST case scenarios, meaning that these are the WORST possible outcomes, but most likely will not occur, unless the writers want to make a dramatic statement.

Bruce Wayne: Now obviously, Bruce wont die from this encounter, but the level that he could suffer is high. All of his surrogate children, as well as his own son, are facing off against his deadliest foe. The most i can see Bruce suffering is the loss of faith that he can protect Gotham. He will either stop Damian from being Batman and reject Dick, Tim, and Jason, OR stop being Batman all together and in the future try and find himself again so that he can be Batman.

Alfred Pennyworth: Honestly, from the solicits, it is possible that Alfred could die. This is the worst thing the Joker could do to demoralize Bruce, assuming that he knows Bruce's identity as Batman. The second possible choice is that he will kidnap Alfred, and torture him in some fashion. After the experience Bruce will rescue him and in the end Alfred will be emotionally scarred by the Joker, but still determined to stand by Bruce's side. At first I figured he could pull a TDKR and leave, but i doubt he would ever do that unless Bruce fired him.

Dick Grayson: From Higgins's tweet, we see that Nightwing doesnt have to be Dick Grayson. Meaning that Dick could either die, or pass on the mantle of Nightwing. It is highly unlikely that Nightwing will die, there is so much set up for him and it will be a terribe move to his fans. Which leaves that the worst case scenario is that the Joker's plans or actions will force Dick to stop being Nightwing. This could support my theory of Bruce taking a break from being Batman and Dick taking the reigns again, OR Dick will stop vigilantism all together and most likely focus on the circus and possibly get out of Gotham.

Damian Wayne: Let's be honest, I think Damian can take the Joker's chaos, because frankly Damian is a bit crazy himself. The biggest threat I can see Damian facing is holding back his assassin urges, and I think he will be able to face those challenges and overcome them. But what i think will affect Damian the most is how much the Joker affects Bruce and Dick. These are the two people he looks up to the most, and in seeing how much the Joker has affected them, will in turn affect him.

Tim Drake: From what i can see, Tim is off in Gotham helping out against the Joker's plans and the Teen Titans are sure to follow. In the solicits it says that Tim and Jason team up, so it doesnt look like Tim is facing something incredibly serious. BUT, worst case scenrio is that the Joker has found his parents and one or both will die. I should mention this, but i find it highly unlikely. If my theory that Dick will drop the Nightwing mantle is correct, Tim could be a candidate to become Nightwing. I have a feeling he could leave the Titans, and if that is true he is either going solo as Red Robin or taking up Dick's place. (NOTED: I FIND THIS HIGHLY UNLIKELY, BUT I DO FIND THAT TIM COULD LEAVE THE TITANS IN ORDER TO TRY AND PROTECT PEOPLE BY GOING SOLO AS RED ROBIN, THAT THEORY I FIND QUITE PLAUSIBLE)

Barbara Gordon: This might be just me, but i am very afraid for Babs. Joker most likely knows Batgirl's identity, and from the covers ive seen Joker has something big planned for Batgirl. Now, i doubt she will die but she will most likely encounter extreme psychological, and physical torture. Joker will most likely make Babs relive the night she was shot, or even worse make sure she doesnt walk again. I doubt she will revert back to her Oracle title, though it is slightly possible, but the worst i see is that she will stop being Batgirl for a while and maybe Cass Cain or Steph Brown will make an appearance. Now i doubt that will happen, but one thing is certain; Babs is not coming out of this unscathed.

Jason Todd: Again, Jason is facing some high potential danger here. Though he is taking on some of the heat with Tim, it is still likely Jason will have some one on one time with Joker. At the same time, Joker is facing some danger with Jason. Especially if Joker reveals that he is responsible for Jason's turmoil in his childhood. If Joker says that, it will take alot to stop Jason from killing him, possibly Tim. Now this could mean that he stops him physically or calms him down enough. But we are talking worst case scenarios. And in the worst case, Jason could die again. OR he kills Joker and loses any ties with the Bat-family, possibly Tim as well. (BECAUSE I HIGHLY DOUBT TIM WILL ABANDON JASON, EVEN IF HE DOES KILL THE JOKER)

These are my worst case predictions, feel free to comment, agree, disagree, and tell me what you think is the worst case scenario, best case, or most likely.

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By FatihBATMAN

I seriously think Joker is planning on kidnapping Alfred....

Alfred will not become a big part in the start of the arc, but later will play maybe a big role..thats my 2centz

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By BatWatch

Good article. If I had to make a guess, I'd say that they will probably kill Alfred. It has not been done before (well, not in a long, long time), and it would hurt "the family." However, none of the options you present particularly enthrall me. Here are two things I would enjoy seeing.

In order to protect Batman (or maybe some other member of the Bat Clan), Dick kills Joker or Harley Quinn (say Joker uncovered Bruce's identity and would never stop coming after those he loves). Dick feels bad, but he realizes that it was the only way to stop the madness. Bruce turns on Dick, and the whole family fractures with Damain and Tim taking Bruce's side, and Jason and Barbara siding with Dick. The whole family is at odds with each other.

Another theory I like is that maybe Joker will manage to kill the family by destroying Bruce's fortune. With this death in the family, the whole operation would have to learn to fight crime without financial backing.

I would like to see either one of these play out, but the second especially intrigues me especially since Bruce has come to over rely on tech recently. For instance, his Bat Monger suit in Batman and Robin #12.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Lvenger

@PsychoKnights said:

Good article. If I had to make a guess, I'd say that they will probably kill Alfred. It has not been done before (well, not in a long, long time), and it would hurt "the family." However, none of the options you present particularly enthrall me. Here are two things I would enjoy seeing.

In order to protect Batman (or maybe some other member of the Bat Clan), Dick kills Joker or Harley Quinn (say Joker uncovered Bruce's identity and would never stop coming after those he loves). Dick feels bad, but he realizes that it was the only way to stop the madness. Bruce turns on Dick, and the whole family fractures with Damain and Tim taking Bruce's side, and Jason and Barbara siding with Dick. The whole family is at odds with each other.

Another theory I like is that maybe Joker will manage to kill the family by destroying Bruce's fortune. With this death in the family, the whole operation would have to learn to fight crime without financial backing.

I would like to see either one of these play out, but the second especially intrigues me especially since Bruce has come to over rely on tech recently. For instance, his Bat Monger suit in Batman and Robin #12.

First one's horrible. Sorry but it is. Besides DC wouldn't pull an Arkham City with their most popular villain. Snyder talked about how Joker should be used sparringly in Batman stories and I agree. Hopefully Death of the Family will be an epic epitome of the Joker. Now your second one is interesting. With Bruce recently admitting to 'backing' Batman financially, it would be an obvious target for the Joker to come after, crippling Batman where it hurts most: his bank account.

Avatar image for g_money_christmas
    G_Money_Christmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By G_Money_Christmas

@PsychoKnights said:

I agree with the first one but I don't see Dick killing anyone. Very possibly Jason but Dick wouldn't do it... but I don't think they're going to kill off Batman's arch nemesis in his first story arc

wessaari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By wessaari

@PsychoKnights: i can see joker draining their fortune, but i cant see Dick killing Joker, and that Damian will be on Bruce's side. if anything Damian would agree with Dick but have internal conflicts with Bruce because he is trying to learn non-lethal ways of fighting, but possibilities are possibilities :P

Strafe Prower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By Strafe Prower

Hopefully, It's Alfred.

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FatihBATMAN

we can all guess one more day :P

wessaari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By wessaari

@FatihBATMAN: ahhhh still cant wait that long

InfamousFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By InfamousFish

I think Alfred is going to die in this arc.

wessaari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By wessaari

@InfamousFish: out of all these worst case scenarios, i think Alfred dying is the most plausible, but idk if Snyder would do it

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FatihBATMAN

@InfamousFish said:

this arc is canon....if Alfred dies......we have to live with it..........forever.........

wessaari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By wessaari

@FatihBATMAN: Idk, i can see it happening, but it just depends on how it happens, which is the only way if i know if i will be ok with it or not. especially after the ending of issue 13, i doubt joker killed him, but he is defintely kidnapped

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By jwalser3

@FatihBATMAN said:

@InfamousFish said:

this arc is canon....if Alfred dies......we have to live with it..........forever.........

He better not. Just read it today, so worried now :c

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.