Worst Batman writer in you're opinion

• 105 results
#1 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

Couldn't find this in the Search so excuse me if it has been done. I'm doing worst, best and one with most potential:

• Worst - Grant Morrison
  • Best - Loeb/Miller (1980s Miller)
  • Most potential - Snyder
#2 Posted by Death Certificate (5438 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicdude23 said:

Couldn't find this in the Search so excuse me if it has been done. I'm doing worst, best and one with most potential:

• Worst - Grant Morrison
  • Best - Loeb/Miller (1980s Miller)
  • Most potential - Snyder

I get that you don't like morrison, but calling him the worst? Hyperbole much

#3 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

@Death Certificate: God dammit. Why can't I state my opinion without getting attacked or something. Either attack my opinion and make an entire argument or just state you're best, worst and one with most potential.

#4 Posted by MasterDetective (833 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Worst - Grant Morrison, Loeb/Miller
#5 Edited by Suprman (442 posts) - - Show Bio

Morrison is mixed for me, as I've stated before, but calling him the worst is something I disagree with. Miller has only written one good Batman book imo and that was Year One. I think that Scott Synder is the best Batman writer at least of the last decade, I've read all his work on Batman and I think it's all phenomenal, but I'm just a reader with an opinion.

#6 Edited by JohnnyWalker (821 posts) - - Show Bio

you have achieved batman tas nr 1 fanboy status. in record time. now leave.

#7 Posted by Death Certificate (5438 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicdude23: None of morrsion's works on batman are bad enough to placed as the worst writer for batman, considering that most of your arguments against morrison are purely subjective, aka putting batman outside of normal elements. I don't have a problem you or anybody else not liking morrison, what I don't like is when people over exaggerate their disliking.

#8 Posted by Squalleon (4610 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Worst : Tony S. Daniel
  • Most Potential : Scott Snyder
    as for best i don't know....depends
#9 Posted by Z3RO180 (6549 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squalleon:i though tony s daniels battle for the cowl was really awesome

#10 Posted by Batnandez (511 posts) - - Show Bio

Best-Morrison

Worst-Tony S. Daniel

Most Potential- I would say Snyder but Black Mirror was amazing and Court of Owls was pretty good.

#11 Posted by Squalleon (4610 posts) - - Show Bio

@Z3RO180: It was a 3-issue series you didn't have the chance of getting bored.His story was to predictable.Ok we knew the ending but he could have put some twists.

#12 Edited by InnerVenom123 (29501 posts) - - Show Bio

Frank Miller's later work is really, really bad.

#13 Posted by Billy Batson (58026 posts) - - Show Bio

*Your
Best - O'Neil, Dixon and Alan Grant
Worst - Loeb, Kevin Smith,
Potential - Snyder
BB

#14 Edited by InnerVenom123 (29501 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicdude23 said:

@Death Certificate: God dammit. Why can't I state my opinion without getting attacked or something. Either attack my opinion and make an entire argument or just state you're best, worst and one with most potential.

Ok.

Why do you hate Morrison again?

#15 Posted by Suprman (442 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squalleon said:

@Z3RO180: It was a 3-issue series you didn't have the chance of getting bored.His story was to predictable.Ok we knew the ending but he could have put some twists.

I enjoyed Battle for the Cowl as well but I do see what you mean about it's predictability.

#16 Posted by borges (65 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicdude23 said:

@Death Certificate: God dammit. Why can't I state my opinion without getting attacked or something.

Because you bait people in order to get attacked? There's little possibility that you genuinely believe Morrison is the worst (especially since Loeb holds that mantle).

#17 Posted by Night Thrasher (3689 posts) - - Show Bio
@comicdude23 said:

Because, that's your opinion. If you stand by it, fine. But, don't get defensive when someone has an opposing view. I think your wrong about him being the worst, I personally think Morrison is hit or miss. 
#18 Edited by entropy_aegis (15319 posts) - - Show Bio

Worst=Miller after DKSA ,Kevin Smith,Tony Daniel,David Finch.

Best=Morrison,Dixon and O'Neal.

Solid=Greg Rucka,Alan Grant

Hit or miss=Winick,Snyder.

Average=Ed Brubaker

Most potential=everyone has potential,it's how you use it.

Loeb needs a special category of his own,I cant decide where to place him.

#19 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@Death Certificate said:

None of morrsion's works on batman are bad enough to placed as the worst writer for batman, considering that most of your arguments against morrison are purely subjective, aka putting batman outside of normal elements. I don't have a problem you or anybody else not liking morrison, what I don't like is when people over exaggerate their disliking.

+5 ReVamp Points

• Worst: Smith atm.
  • Best: Snyder, Morrison.
  • Potential: Meh.
#20 Posted by YMCMB (160 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly it's hard to label one writer as the best or worst, considering how many people have written Batman over the last 70 years...so within the last 10 years I'm gonna say Best: Grant Morrison Worst: Tony Daniel Potential: Snyder

#21 Posted by Billy Batson (58026 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

Loeb needs a special category of his own,I cant decide where to place him.

Overrated. That'll do?
BB

#22 Posted by TDK_1997 (14896 posts) - - Show Bio

Worst:Tony Daniel,Kevin Smith.

Best:Morrison,Nixon,O'Neal.

Potential:Snyder.

#23 Posted by The_Tree (7465 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm gonna steal some of entropy's categories...

• Best - Grant Morrison
  • Worst - Tie between Tony Daniel, Paul Jenkins, and Frank Miller.
  • Most Potential - John Layman, or Scott Snyder
  • Hit/Miss - Scott Snyder
  • Solid - Peter Tomasi, Greg Rucka
#24 Posted by daredevil21134 (11816 posts) - - Show Bio

Was Kevin Smith really that bad?

#25 Posted by entropy_aegis (15319 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134 said:

Was Kevin Smith really that bad?

Yeah.

#26 Posted by Red_Jack (285 posts) - - Show Bio

For me

Best is Chuck Dixon. His work is consistant and exciting. Refreshing takes on the characters too.

Worst is David Gibbons (yes, the man who did the artwork for Watchmen alongside Alan Moore). David Gibbons made a really really crappy story of Batman meeting Superman. He made another crappy one that I can barely even remember now

Most potential is Alan Moore. He only made one story which was The Killing Joke but if he ever did more stories it'd be a must read.

#27 Posted by zexion_armando (81 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the worst is Morrison (I am not a fan of the Al Ghul's or Damian, so thats probably why)

#28 Posted by VampireSelektor (749 posts) - - Show Bio

Best: Snyder, Morrison

Worst: Kevin Smith

Most potential? As in name a potential writer who could write Batman well? Maybe Kieron Gillen?

#29 Posted by gumdealer (4 posts) - - Show Bio

@Red_Jack: Alan Moore also did a Batman annual that featured Clayface.

Worst: Kevin Smith

Best: Denny O'Neil. One of my favorite writers.

Hit/miss: Scott Snyder. I liked Black Mirror, but I'm not too big on the Court of Owls stuff.

#30 Edited by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

best:morrison

worst: Frank Miller( the good thing he wrote was Year One everything else sucked, people only like DKR because it made batman dark but it was terrible .this book is so overhyped)

most potential: Snyder, but the Court of Owls stuff didnt really make me wanna run to the comic book store to get the next issue it was above average but, it wasnt a run of epic proportions in my opinion.

#31 Posted by Vortex13 (12250 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Worst-(I'm going to get a lot of hate for this) Frank Miller.
  • Best-(I'm going to get a lot of hate for this) Grant Morrison.
  • Most potential.-Scott Snyder.
#32 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, is curious how some people think Morrison is the worst and others think is the best :P

@Vortex13 said:

• Worst-(I'm going to get a lot of hate for this) Frank Miller.
  • Best-(I'm going to get a lot of hate for this) Grant Morrison.
  • Most potential.-Scott Snyder.

Yep I hope you can share some of that hate with me, because I agree.

Everyone knows this : All Star Batman and Robin SUCKS!

I reaaaaaally enjoyed Batman And Robin, Batman Inc. is something in the middle to me.

Scott really is doing some good stuff, I'm looking forward to his Joker, I bet it's gonna be awesome

#33 Posted by dmkicksballs13 (110 posts) - - Show Bio

This is probably going to be controversial, but I believe that Dark Knight Returns is the worst Batman story arc I have ever read followed by R.I.P. That being said I don't know why Morrison is so well-liked. I just think he tries so hard to be Alan Moore. I have really enjoyed Snyder, but I must say the best writers are Chuck Dixon and Dennis O'Neil and Kevin Smith is the worst.

#34 Posted by WarBlade539 (4580 posts) - - Show Bio

@Suprman: What about 'The Dark Knight Returns'? Didn't you like it?

#35 Posted by Suprman (442 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkazrael999: It's ok, but there a lot of things in the book I don't like.

#36 Edited by Squalleon (4610 posts) - - Show Bio

Guys can you recommend me anything from Dixon or O'Neil?

#37 Posted by entropy_aegis (15319 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squalleon said:

Guys can you recommend me anything from Dixon or O'Neil?

They dont really have a standout story,they have lengthy runs on various Bat titles.I guess for Dixon you can look in to Knightfall,Vengeance of Bane one shots,Nightwing Year:One and for O'Neil Tales of the Demon.They were impressive in the sense that they could write virtually any Batman character whether hero or villain with perfection and could craft any type of street level story.

#38 Posted by Squalleon (4610 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: Thanks! I have already read Knightfall,VoB and Nightwing year one (actually most of Dixon's run on nightwing) i am gonna look for tales of the demon.

#39 Posted by entropy_aegis (15319 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squalleon said:

@entropy_aegis: Thanks! I have already read Knightfall,VoB and Nightwing year one (actually most of Dixon's run on nightwing) i am gonna look for tales of the demon.

Your Welcome,Dixon also has a run on Robin and Birds Of Prey(which I personally enjoyed a lot).O'Neil also has the Azrael ongoing series,Batman:Venom and I think Shaman as well(Legends of the Dark Knight) to his credit too.He also wrote the issue where Gordon married Sarah Essen but I cant seem to remember which one(I think it was LOTDK annual)

#40 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@Squalleon: Dammit, I was going to recommend the Dixon run on Nightwing. Because its the sh!t.

#41 Posted by entropy_aegis (15319 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

@Squalleon: Dammit, I was going to recommend the Dixon run on Nightwing. Because its the sh!t.

How's Higgins doing? he's a good writer but I feel he lacks the ambition.After reading the 8 issues of his Nightwing I was left with the impression that he just wants to be Scott Snyders sidekick.

#42 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

@ReVamp said:

How's Higgins doing? he's a good writer but I feel he lacks the ambition.After reading the 8 issues of his Nightwing I was left with the impression that he just wants to be Scott Snyders sidekick.

I got to be totally honest, I read the first 9 issues and then I totally and completely took a break from comics. That said, I think he may have one of the better runs on Nightwing since Dixon.

#43 Posted by Squalleon (4610 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp: It's really great!

@entropy_aegis: I need to read Shazam and BoP immidiately!

#44 Posted by arnoldoaad (1007 posts) - - Show Bio

Worst: A.J. Lieberman

Best: Loeb/Dixon/Morrison

Potential: Fialkov, Lemire

#45 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

Would you believe I don't really have an opinion on this...

Tony Daniels gets the "voice" right often where whatever is being said is how the characters would say it, but nothing they are saying is something they'd say or do. He's interesting to say the least.

Frank Miller... Year 1 is universally loved, but everything else is just wrong. Makes me think someone else had a big hand in writing that.

Geoff Johns should never be allowed near Batman. He gets nothing right and has a disdain for him so keep him away.

Grant Morrison is good within a certain setting of known canon. Outside of that he has proven obstinate which has led him to works that aren't that good.

Snyder is good, not great. So far everything I've seen of his for Batman is either a rip off, bad, or decent but something is off about it.

Chuck Dixon is one of my favorite comic writers I've come across, but he produced one of the worst comics for Batman I forced myself through. It was one of the Legend of the Dark Knight books way back when which had funky art and it took place in the future or something.

Winick can be good or bad...Currently he sucks though.

I don't remember who did what cuz i don't really care about who did what only that the what was awesome or crap.

#46 Posted by howler412 (32 posts) - - Show Bio

Worst: Grant Morrison (killing batman, batman inc, Arkham Asylum (yeah that too), Damien Wayne, and Final Crisis are all unreadable crap)

Best: Paul Dini, and not just for Batman TAS, his other work is stellar (The TPB Detective, Heart of Hush, Streets of Gotham are all good, plus writing Arkham Asylum/City and TAS all make him good in my book)

#47 Posted by MasterDetective (833 posts) - - Show Bio

Snyder, best

Loeb, worst

#48 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

best: morrison- not an opinion, fact.

Worst- Frank Miller, Snyder(not a bad write just doesn't get batman)

#49 Posted by gator4eva (396 posts) - - Show Bio

Best: Morrison

Worst: Miller (One good book imo)

Potential: Snyder (Enjoying some of his recent work in the New 52)

#50 Posted by conradoaccorsi (301 posts) - - Show Bio

Best: Chuck Dixon/Alan Grant/Denny O'Neil/Paul Dini (they're the best deal with it)

Worst: Kevin Smith/Scott Snyder (since the start of New 52)

Potential: Jeff Lemire

Why people hate Jeph Loeb? I can't understand he wrote masterpieces in Batman history

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.