Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23635 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

With Damien gone, does really Batman need another Robin?

• 91 results
    HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HushoftheWind

I honestly think Batman should stay flying solo. Even though Damien did a damn good job filling that role, Batman should not have anymore young teen or preteen sidekicks. He already groomed 3 robins who became into their own in some shape or form and frankly that's enough. Adding another young ward will just age the character to an already unbelievable timeline. What do you guys and girls think? Should Batman keep to his tradition in adding another sidekick or should Batman just glide through the night on his own with maybe a team up or 2 from his previous partners?

Edit: Sorry for the botch title my effing cat was being an attention grabber

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Eeshaan1685

Simply getting another Robin and moving on after like 5 issues of mourning for Damian will be distasteful and disrespectful to his SON. And it's also time for Batman to go Batshit.

gettogaara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By gettogaara

No. Being the second time that a Robin has died, I think it's time for Batman to stop endangering kids no matter how much they're capable of.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Phaedrusgr

I prefer him "robinless", at least for a long while.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By saoakden

Batman should fly solo for a while. Jason was killed and somehow he came back to life but I don't see that happening to Damian anytime soon. Tim Drake said Batman needs a Robin but right now Batman doesn't need a Robin. He shouldn't get another sidekick for a while. A LONG while.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By sinestro_GL

Most likely Bruce will retire the Robin mantle...until Damian comes back anyway...

Stronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Stronger

IMO Batman should continue on his own.

He has lost too many Robins.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By SupBatz

Batman needs a Robin. I like solo Batman as much as the next guy. But that's why we have the Batman, Batman: The Dark Knight, and Detective Comics titles. They give us our chance to see Batman opporating on his own.

Robin, regardless of who is behind the mask, adds a new dynamic to Batman. And while it may seem reckless and impracticle for Batman to need a young sidekick, it just works and always has. I, personally, would rather Damian just stay Robin. But if his death does, in fact, proove permanent then I truly believe that Batman will need a new Robin. Not immediately. But someday the time will come and we'll see a new sidekick.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By End_Boss

Whether any of us like it or not, Batman will have another Robin. The sidekick is an essential facet of that character, and fills a vital role. That is, a sounding board for Batman's thoughts (this is why we don't have entire issues told only through Batman's thought process. That might sound cool on its face, but after the fifth or sixth issue of it, it would wear thin.).

I'm still livid that Morrison killed Damian. What a dick. Just attention seeking.

Anyway, Harper Row will be the next Robin and we'll all like it, I guess.

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xblah_blahx

No I dont think he should be partnered with another Robin. Hes better solo. But its inevitable that he will get another partner. Hopefully at least his next partner is someone a little older than a 10 year old boy.

gettogaara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By gettogaara

Giving him another Robin in the near future would just be bad writing in my opinion. Harper Row has not made much of an impression on me and if she becomes Robin I will seriously cancel my subscription to the title. I mean, if we're talking a few years down the line then maybe but this is not Jason Todd. This is his flesh and blood son who just died, barely having time to live his life. What father would honestly be okay with replacing him? Hell, he might prefer being alone for a while just so he can reflect. I think it's time to forget about sidekicks and start going darker. If he absolutely needs to work with someone else it should be Nightwing or Batgirl(she seems to need the help).

Morrison really put DC in a bad position though. If Batman recovers too quickly from this, people are going to be pissed. If he never gets another Robin due to the fear of losing them, people are going to be pissed. If Damian comes back through some crazy method, people are going to be pissed. I can't think of a method (other then this all being some sort of cruel joke/dream sequence) where the majority comes out happy.

chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By chasereis

@End_Boss said:

Whether any of us like it or not, Batman will have another Robin...Morrison killed Damian. What a dick. Just attention seeking.

Anyway, Harper Row will be the next Robin and we'll all like it, I guess.

I don't any further point in discussion past this. What is understood need not be discussed, to coin a phrase. Well said End Boss...bravo.

Suprman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Suprman

As a big fan of the Robin character in general. I think Bruce will always need a robin. It doesn't have to be a character that goes on patrol with him every night just someone to turn to when he needs backup or support. I hope another Robin isn't introduced anytime soon, it would be kind of disrespectful to Damian. Bruce needs time to heal and another Robin out with him every night isn't gonna heal him.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Phaedrusgr

@End_Boss: Haha...You spoke like a boss...Morrison has a thing with attention. Nobody can deny it.

: At last, someone noticed that "Morrison really put DC in a bad position though".

Shika1Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Shika1Dude

Personally I feel Bruce needs to move on from this whole Robin complex, Damien being Robin felt right but with his death, it should mark the end of the sidekick 'Robin', thus Bruce developing further as a character. His inability to save his son which ironically his parents succeeded in will I feel push him to become a better Batman.

Just sad that he had to go through this.... :( R.I.P Damian 'Robin' Wayne

Shika1Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Shika1Dude

@sinestro_GL: certainly hope so

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By evilvegeta74

@gettogaara said:

No. Being the second time that a Robin has died, I think it's time for Batman to stop endangering kids no matter how much they're capable of.

Bruce only needs for his son to be alive, and be a father to him. No one can replace Damian.

Avatar image for the_average_bear
    The Average Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By The Average Bear

I think Batman will have to be solo and darker for this to be realistic. But as Tim showed, Batman needs a Robin. It's only a matter of time. Whether or not that insults Damians memory, it depends.

@gettogaara said:

They are not actual children

The Average Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By The Average Bear

And when Bruce does get another Robin, whenever that'll be, I hope we're able to see his grief. For example, Bruce calling the new Robin 'Damian' on accident would really show how much he has to deal with. Losing a son, especially when you don't have a large amount of blood-relatives lying around anymore, would fracture the sanity of anyone.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By consolemaster001

no, i don't think so. Batman will declare that damian was the last robin to honor his son's memory.

gettogaara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By gettogaara

@The Average Bear said:

@gettogaara said:

I understand that they're fictional characters, I'm talking strictly in their world. Batman is not setting a good example for other heroes when he's had not one but two sidekicks die on him, especially when they're so young. I think Superman would be pretty horrified with the whole situation.

@evilvegeta74 said:

@gettogaara said:

Bruce only needs for his son to be alive, and be a father to him. No one can replace Damian.

I agree completely. I was hoping for this all to be some sort of dream sequence but then I heard about how it's affecting Batman and Robin too so all hope was lost.

@Phaedrusgr said:

: At last, someone noticed that "Morrison really put DC in a bad position though".

Yeah, it's like he just decided since he's leaving Damian goes with him. Of course he does this after the character becomes quite popular as supposed to when he first started out and people didn't like him much. On top of that I could have sworn when the New 52 started, DC said something about how they wouldn't be bringing back their characters. Anyway you look at it, DC is going to lose some money on this. I have a friend who's already thinking about dropping all of the Batman titles depending on Bruce's reaction. The funny part is he doesn't even like Damian.

Matchstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Matchstick

He should have another Robin...eventually. Not for a long long time though, at least 5 years.

The Average Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By The Average Bear

@gettogaara said:

@Phaedrusgr said:

Yeah, it's like he just decided since he's leaving Damian goes with him. Of course he does this after the character becomes quite popular as supposed to when he first started out and people didn't like him much. On top of that I could have sworn when the New 52 started, DC said something about how they wouldn't be bringing back their characters. Anyway you look at it, DC is going to lose some money on this. I have a friend who's already thinking about dropping all of the Batman titles depending on Bruce's reaction. The funny part is he doesn't even like Damian.

I also seem to remember that from somewhere. And in an interview the artist said that "Damian is as dead as Thomas and Martha Wayne" which sort of blows all resurrection hopes to hell along with everyone's respect for Morrison

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By evilvegeta74

@gettogaara said:

@The Average Bear said:

@gettogaara said:

I understand that they're fictional characters, I'm talking strictly in their world. Batman is not setting a good example for other heroes when he's had not one but two sidekicks die on him, especially when they're so young. I think Superman would be pretty horrified with the whole situation.

@evilvegeta74 said:

@gettogaara said:

I agree completely. I was hoping for this all to be some sort of dream sequence but then I heard about how it's affecting Batman and Robin too so all hope was lost.

@Phaedrusgr said:

I agree!

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#25  Edited By Black_Claw

I think it's safe to say Batman's gonna go it alone this time. Losing Jason was bad enough, but this time he lost his biological kid. I highly doubt he's gonna replace his true son.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26  Edited By InnerVenom123

Batman needs a Robin and you all need to get over it.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#27  Edited By Lvenger

@HushoftheWind: So the cat typed your title? I wish I could teach my cat to type things on a keyboard :P

In all seriousness I do see the major problems in taking in a young child or teenager to be trained in the art of crime fighting which inevitably involves a lot of danger. It goes with the job and arguably Batman doesn't have the right to put a minor in that kind of danger. And yet the concept of Robin is an integral part of the Batman mythos, inextricably linked with the concept of Batman. Replacing his own son might be disrespectful to some but I guess there will come a time when Batman will need a new Robin. Tim Drake proves that as such. No one thought there could be another Robin after Jason died and now we've had 3 (ignoring the New 52 erasing Steph) Robins in the past 10+ years. But for now, I want Batman to be grieving and put away the Robin mantle for a good long time.

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By havoc1201

There should never be another Robin, im sure he will have a new partner but they will never be called Robin. after Jason and now Damian his own son the name should be retired in Memory of his son.

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FatihBATMAN

Batman can still go apeshit without killing, it would cool to see Bruce mourn his son for quite a while, and fly solo for a time..

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@The Average Bear said:

@gettogaara said:

@Phaedrusgr said:

I also seem to remember that from somewhere. And in an interview the artist said that "Damian is as dead as Thomas and Martha Wayne" which sort of blows all resurrection hopes to hell along with everyone's respect for Morrison

Why does this get rid of everyones' respect for him?

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
    Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Not really.

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FatihBATMAN

as dead as Thomas and Martha? wow thats saying something... Cool

chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By chasereis

@consolemaster001: I agree completely but I feel somehow some way there will be another "lonely place of dying" that will just put another robin with Bruce. I'm kinda exhausted by it all so if they just have Batman and Robin star Bruce with Dick one week, Tim on another I'm ok with it.

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FatihBATMAN

Hmm nice, give Tim Drake a try man! hehe

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@InnerVenom123 said:

Batman needs a Robin and you all need to get over it.

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By FatihBATMAN

In certain situations he needs one yea! Look at Batman: AC. but not all the time.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Eternal19

Batman needs a robin

/thread

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ThanosIsMad

Robin should be sidelined for the time being. Robin's death should inspire others to become vigilantes that look up to Batman during the grieving period, but that's about it. Batman and Robin could focus on adventures with Dick, Tim, and Jason.

Though if someone does become Robin and Damian comes back, he should become Redbird.

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FatihBATMAN

We can all agree on that he can survive on his own yea, but its not like its required is it?

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By John Valentine

Yes, Batman needs a Robin.

@ThanosIsMad said:

Robin should be sidelined for the time being. Robin's death should inspire others to become vigilantes that look up to Batman during the grieving period, but that's about it. Batman and Robin could focus on adventures with Dick, Tim, and Jason.

Though if someone does become Robin and Damian comes back, he should become Redbird.

Yes! He should also team up with Dick.

gecko200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By gecko200

Batman/Bruce is fighting a war and in war there are casualties,Batman reluctantly takes on his various Robins/partners but probably would feel hypocritical to him to try and stop someone from doing what he is doing and they are probably going to attempt anyway. His training tutelage has probably extended or saved the lives of his young partners even while putting them in harms way.

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FatihBATMAN

Hmm, he can live without one, sure if it, but he would e lonely though...

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ComicStooge

There shouldn't be a Robin again at least for a little while.

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By FatihBATMAN

@ComicStooge said:

I second that, at least for a year or so.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ComicStooge

@FatihBATMAN said:

@ComicStooge said:

I second that, at least for a year or so.

At the very least, yeah.

Humanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Humanoid

Harper Row incoming. Prepare for a techy suicide girl wannabe Robin who whaps out memes like "epic-fail" and also calls her brother a homo.. because he's a homo. And has better tech skills than Batman.

Matchstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Matchstick

@Humanoid: They'll make her Oracle if anything.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#49  Edited By Rumble Man
    No Caption Provided
    Humanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Humanoid

@Matchstick said:

@Humanoid: They'll make her Oracle if anything.

Suppose. I wonder if her plot power would save her from certain doom.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.