Why You Should Read BATMAN: HUSH

  • 122 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#51 Posted by bloggerboy (634 posts) - - Show Bio

My Holy Trinity of Batman stories (that also happen to be a trilogy on their own):

The Long Halloween

Dark Victory

Hush

#52 Posted by NightFang (10274 posts) - - Show Bio

Should be the next direct to video movie by DC.

#53 Posted by iceslick (807 posts) - - Show Bio

@NightFang said:

Should be the next direct to video movie by DC.

@NightFang: It sucked that Hush never got to appear in the cartoon. :-(

#54 Posted by lightsout (1836 posts) - - Show Bio

First "major" Batman arc I ever read. LOVED it.

#55 Posted by Batnandez (511 posts) - - Show Bio

@saoakden: no way

#56 Posted by xxxddd (3593 posts) - - Show Bio

@Z3RO180 said:

Read this....stop reading this and go dread hush as in NOW

Do you mean "read?"

#57 Posted by SlickyMike88 (235 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the interaction between bats and catwoman in this , it felt as a evolution to the characters , keep in mind that this was my first arc in reading batman:P

#58 Posted by NightFang (10274 posts) - - Show Bio

@iceslick said:

@NightFang said:

Should be the next direct to video movie by DC.

@NightFang: It sucked that Hush never got to appear in the cartoon. :-(

I'm still confused they did make it direct to video, like Batman VS. Dracula.

#59 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

One of the first stories that I read :D so long ago...

#60 Posted by ectoborge (209 posts) - - Show Bio

How should Hush be introduced in the New 52?

I am a huge fan of this story but I am ok if it doesn't work with current continuity.

#61 Posted by VZA (186 posts) - - Show Bio

Very relevant video...

#62 Edited by Vitaeleous (70 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n Well written, sir; a solid ode to one of the most engaging Dark Knight tales to date. I always liked the fact that there's at least one staffer here who's a solid Batman fan.

In response to , I think some think some things are best left to the past. Both Hush and Terry McGinnis ought to be left alone. Not everything needs to change.

#63 Posted by TimeLordScience (1426 posts) - - Show Bio

Why would you make an article like this? Batman: Hush doesn't need advertising...it's already wildly successful...it'd obviously be a better choice to write about a lesser known book that people don't already know about. Right now you're just preaching to the choir.

#64 Posted by iceslick (807 posts) - - Show Bio

@NightFang: There was plans to release Hush into DTV. But it had got cancelled, so it was never released or be produced. :-(

#65 Posted by JamDamage (1118 posts) - - Show Bio

This book was so good when it came out. A gripping mystery. A horde of the rouges and we also got to see Superman drawn by Lee. The introductiong of a new villain, and what we thought was he 1st resurrection of Jason Todd. It floored us readers when we thought it was him, and we new right there. "Jason Todd will be coming back" It was obvious. The art was second to none. The only draw back tho was that after this, Long Halloween, and Dark Vivtory Loeb dried up and never wrote another good story. His Rulk story was only okay and Ultimatum.............well..................it was Ultimatum and that speaks louder then the works he's ever written. It was so bad that he's almost remembered for how bad that story was instead of how good those other 3 Batman classics are.

#66 Posted by fodigg (6136 posts) - - Show Bio

Hush was very, very good. Fantastic way to launch another great Batman villain, and wasn't topped until the introduction of Professor Pyg.

Looking back on that storyline, the only qualm I have over it has less to do with the story itself as it's inevitable connection to the dubious return of Jason Todd (the method, not the return itself).

#67 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

I dug this story a lot. It read like a really long TAS episode, and Lee's pencils only made it better. Great way to introduce anyone to the comics, as it showcases pretty much every major Batman villain (which is almost exclusively why I read his series anyway).

#68 Posted by DCWarFan73 (148 posts) - - Show Bio

Absolutely classic Batman detective story arc. Love it.

#69 Edited by NightFang (10274 posts) - - Show Bio

@iceslick said:

@NightFang: There was plans to release Hush into DTV. But it had got cancelled, so it was never released or be produced. :-(

I knew all that, I'm just wondering why didn't they go through with it?

#70 Posted by iceslick (807 posts) - - Show Bio

@NightFang: Well it says here, that WB forced him to scrap it because they wanted to a Batman vs a monster series, which became The Batman VS Dracula. I honestly think Hush would have been a better idea.

http://www.toonzone.net/forums/dc-animation-forum/203812-dtv-could-have-been-batman-versus-hush.html#.UUpuVByR-Sp

#71 Posted by StMichalofWilson (4119 posts) - - Show Bio

Denfinetly one of the best story arcs in Batman comics!

#72 Edited by badaboop (138 posts) - - Show Bio

Need to read this story, I've always meant to. I remember when it came out, there was a lot of coverage about it. Somehow I just forgot about it, especially once the New 52 started.

Also, side note: really miss the old Tim Drake Robin outfit. Didn't realize it until I saw that amazing Batfamily image by Jim Lee

#73 Posted by Batman242 (4862 posts) - - Show Bio

Hush is the reason I really started reading comics :). It's a great read.

#74 Posted by Queso6p4 (1465 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

@Queso6p4 said:

@TeamUnitedNerds said:

I think that this story is overrated. It just didn't do anything for me, and if it wasn't for Jim Lee's artwork, I doubt many people would like it as much

Fair enough. I do think it was decent overall. Jeph Loeb needs to only stick to Batman stories.

@sinestro_GL said:

Well this article is...11 years too late

Haha! When I read the title I mentioned that to my friend. I said "This came out over a a decade ago."

@sinestro_GL said:

Well this article is...11 years too late

"Why You Should Read" is a weekly segment where the staff alternates recommending different stories we love. Age is totally irrelevant. Tony covered Secret Wars, Mat covered Y: The Last Man, and next week I believe Sara will select something else. While most Batman fans have obviously read this by now, there's still plenty of people who haven't. I really wanted to come out of the gate with a Batman story and Hush immediately came to my mind. As I write more and more of these I'm sure I'll start picking lesser known stories. For example, I'll eventually want to recommend Bane's story in Azrael's title.

Fair enough. A retrospective/introductory review of stories could definitely do some good. That Bane story would be a nice pick.

#75 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2137 posts) - - Show Bio

@JamDamage said:

This book was so good when it came out. A gripping mystery. A horde of the rouges and we also got to see Superman drawn by Lee. The introductiong of a new villain, and what we thought was he 1st resurrection of Jason Todd. It floored us readers when we thought it was him, and we new right there. "Jason Todd will be coming back" It was obvious. The art was second to none. The only draw back tho was that after this, Long Halloween, and Dark Vivtory Loeb dried up and never wrote another good story. His Rulk story was only okay and Ultimatum.............well..................it was Ultimatum and that speaks louder then the works he's ever written. It was so bad that he's almost remembered for how bad that story was instead of how good those other 3 Batman classics are.

It's going to sound a bit callous, but Loeb just hasn't been the same since his son died. I really just feel bad for the guy, that lately his name is treated with groans due to Rulk and Ultimatum when his name used to be synonymous with masterpieces like Hush, Long Halloween, Public Enemies, etc.

#76 Posted by ccraft (5612 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

@texasdeathmatch said:

Interesting...

Have you read it?

@Mucklefluga said:

Who hasn't read HUSH?, it is a must read for sure.

I'm sure there's still quite a few!

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

Wasn't the Jason Todd in Batman : Hush Clayface, but was hired when Hush and Jason had struck a deal?

During the second part of their fight, yes. It's later revealed (not in this story) that it was indeed Jason during the first part of the fight in the graveyard, though. This story also revealed that Jason's grave is now empty. *insert dramatic music here*

Hush is what got my sister into comics.

#77 Posted by spidermonkey2099 (615 posts) - - Show Bio

Hush is good, but it's a little overrated in my opinion. It's been a while since I've read it, but I seem to recall that a lot the scenes just seemed a little too corny and melodramatic to me. That being said, though, it's still a fun read.

#78 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

I've only read the first Hush issue that was released during DC's Watchmen promotion (where they printed first issues of certain arcs). It was alright, though I won't exactly judge the entire story with a single issue. Still, feedback from others seems to range from 'one of the best modern Batman stories' to 'The Lamer Long Halloween'. General consensus seems to state that it's similar to most of Loeb's writing. A mystery with lots of red herrings, using all of the characters and villains from Batman's world, and a mysterious person from the past who has a connection to the hero (see: Red Hulk, Romulus).

Still, Jim Lee's art does look pretty sweet, and Hush has some iconic moments and panels. I've always considered picking the entire story up (though I still haven't got round to it), but it looks like a fun romp. 'Masterpiece' seems a stretch, though?

#79 Edited by k4tzm4n (34954 posts) - - Show Bio

@Veshark said:

I've only read the first Hush issue that was released during DC's Watchmen promotion (where they printed first issues of certain arcs). It was alright, though I won't exactly judge the entire story with a single issue. Still, feedback from others seems to range from 'one of the best modern Batman stories' to 'The Lamer Long Halloween'. General consensus seems to state that it's similar to most of Loeb's writing. A mystery with lots of red herrings, using all of the characters and villains from Batman's world, and a mysterious person from the past who has a connection to the hero (see: Red Hulk, Romulus).

Still, Jim Lee's art does look pretty sweet, and Hush has some iconic moments and panels. I've always considered picking the entire story up (though I still haven't got round to it), but it looks like a fun romp. 'Masterpiece' seems a stretch, though?

I called Jim Lee's artwork a masterpiece, not the overall product.

#80 Posted by Ellie_Knightfall (4820 posts) - - Show Bio

One of my favorite things I've read.

#81 Posted by KnightofSteel (273 posts) - - Show Bio

I consider "Hush" one of my favorite Batman story arcs. I slowly got back into comics around 2000 after barely following anything for much of the early/mid 90's. And I remember when this came out in 2002 -- it was the catalyst that got me back into comics....right to this day.

"Hush" didn't have an earth-shattering story I must say but it was entertaining and suspenseful. And the artwork... this was Jim Lee at the top of his game - with the talented Scott Williams making Lee's line work more tight and clean.

I'm proud to own all the single issues of the story arc, the absolute edition (which translates very well to this format by the way), and I bought the trade a couple of years ago as a road trip companion.

#82 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

I know, I'm well-aware of that. I'm referring to others on this thread referring to the story as such, as well as other reviews I've read online. Apologies for not making that clear.

#83 Posted by Billy Batson (58381 posts) - - Show Bio

@TimeLordScience said:

Why would you make an article like this? Batman: Hush doesn't need advertising...it's already wildly successful...it'd obviously be a better choice to write about a lesser known book that people don't already know about. Right now you're just preaching to the choir.

Agreed.
BB

#84 Posted by Billy Batson (58381 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

@Queso6p4 said:

@TeamUnitedNerds said:

I think that this story is overrated. It just didn't do anything for me, and if it wasn't for Jim Lee's artwork, I doubt many people would like it as much

Fair enough. I do think it was decent overall. Jeph Loeb needs to only stick to Batman stories.

@sinestro_GL said:

Well this article is...11 years too late

Haha! When I read the title I mentioned that to my friend. I said "This came out over a a decade ago."

@sinestro_GL said:

Well this article is...11 years too late

"Why You Should Read" is a weekly segment where the staff alternates recommending different stories we love. Age is totally irrelevant. Tony covered Secret Wars, Mat covered Y: The Last Man, and next week I believe Sara will select something else. While most Batman fans have obviously read this by now, there's still plenty of people who haven't. I really wanted to come out of the gate with a Batman story and Hush immediately came to my mind. As I write more and more of these I'm sure I'll start picking lesser known stories. For example, I'll eventually want to recommend Bane's story in Azrael's title.

Babs will make an article out of All Star Superman. Calling it.
BB

#85 Posted by sinestro_GL (3323 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

@Queso6p4 said:

@TeamUnitedNerds said:

I think that this story is overrated. It just didn't do anything for me, and if it wasn't for Jim Lee's artwork, I doubt many people would like it as much

Fair enough. I do think it was decent overall. Jeph Loeb needs to only stick to Batman stories.

@sinestro_GL said:

Well this article is...11 years too late

Haha! When I read the title I mentioned that to my friend. I said "This came out over a a decade ago."

@sinestro_GL said:

Well this article is...11 years too late

"Why You Should Read" is a weekly segment where the staff alternates recommending different stories we love. Age is totally irrelevant. Tony covered Secret Wars, Mat covered Y: The Last Man, and next week I believe Sara will select something else. While most Batman fans have obviously read this by now, there's still plenty of people who haven't. I really wanted to come out of the gate with a Batman story and Hush immediately came to my mind. As I write more and more of these I'm sure I'll start picking lesser known stories. For example, I'll eventually want to recommend Bane's story in Azrael's title.

It's all right. My attempt at humour.

#86 Posted by Deadpool_Deathstroke (23 posts) - - Show Bio

I miss the Bruce Selina relationship. The new 52 has ahd a parade of story arc bimbos complaining about Bruce dissapearing then leaving. Ooooh exciting? Bruce sharing his identity with Selina was a HUGE milestone for them and now they are just casual sex buddies who occasionally try to kill each other. One of the biggest screw ups of the new 52.

#87 Posted by TheCannon (19477 posts) - - Show Bio

Best Batman story ever written.

#88 Posted by Billy Batson (58381 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon said:

Best Batman story ever written.

Yeah, no.
BB

#89 Edited by SupBatz (1855 posts) - - Show Bio

Hush is good. But I very much prefer Heart of Hush.

@Deadpool_Deathstroke said:

I miss the Bruce Selina relationship. The new 52 has ahd a parade of story arc bimbos complaining about Bruce dissapearing then leaving. Ooooh exciting? Bruce sharing his identity with Selina was a HUGE milestone for them and now they are just casual sex buddies who occasionally try to kill each other. One of the biggest screw ups of the new 52.

So true...

#90 Posted by Stronger (4948 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: Totally agree with you K4tz!

#91 Posted by neale7 (125 posts) - - Show Bio

While I enjoyed it at the time and brought the figures to along with it, it is a very overrated story. It seems that almost the whole rouges gallery is there just for Jim Lee to draw them, and the ending fell very flat in my opinion, the flashbacks to Bruce’s youth were ok.

The two shining moments in the whole story as mentioned in the article, was the Superman battle and the return of Jason Todd (who looks badass in his costume in this story. Also the white streak in the hair was cool). Nothing much else happened. Jim Lee’s art I think made the story more popular than the story itself, which isn’t a bad thing if you like Jim Lee. I personally liked his art, but now I prefer anything but Jim Lee, it’s all samey to me.

At the end of the day this is just my opinion. Its not a bad story, it’s entertaining and that’s the main thing. We buy comics to be entertained and this does that. So if anyone is curious, go have a flick through it at a comics store and read the first few pages.

If I was to recommend a Batman story, it would have to be two of them as they go hand in hand; Batman and the monster men, and Batman and the mad monk, written and drawn by Matt Wagner. Both are brilliant up to date-ish retellings of two of Batman’s earlier stories. If you’re a Batman fan and haven’t read them, go get them.

#92 Posted by RustyRoy (14041 posts) - - Show Bio

One of the best Batman stories I've read.

#93 Edited by k4tzm4n (34954 posts) - - Show Bio

@Stronger said:

@k4tzm4n: Totally agree with you K4tz!

e-high five!

@Billy Batson said:

@k4tzm4n said:

@Queso6p4 said:

@TeamUnitedNerds said:

I think that this story is overrated. It just didn't do anything for me, and if it wasn't for Jim Lee's artwork, I doubt many people would like it as much

Fair enough. I do think it was decent overall. Jeph Loeb needs to only stick to Batman stories.

@sinestro_GL said:

Well this article is...11 years too late

Haha! When I read the title I mentioned that to my friend. I said "This came out over a a decade ago."

@sinestro_GL said:

Well this article is...11 years too late

"Why You Should Read" is a weekly segment where the staff alternates recommending different stories we love. Age is totally irrelevant. Tony covered Secret Wars, Mat covered Y: The Last Man, and next week I believe Sara will select something else. While most Batman fans have obviously read this by now, there's still plenty of people who haven't. I really wanted to come out of the gate with a Batman story and Hush immediately came to my mind. As I write more and more of these I'm sure I'll start picking lesser known stories. For example, I'll eventually want to recommend Bane's story in Azrael's title.

Babs will make an article out of All Star Superman. Calling it.
BB

What do you think I'll pick next?

#94 Posted by Billy Batson (58381 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

What do you think I'll pick next?

Let me check my crystal ball...
Bendis' Moon Knight, Way's Deadpool and Loeb's Hulk and Wolverine.
But seriously?
It's hard to pinpoint one pick but I have a few:

  • Astonishing X-Men by Whedon and Cassaday
  • Deadpool by Joe Kelly.
  • Deadshot mini (probably the second one but yous should pick the first one since that one's excellent)
  • Something Kraven like Last Hunt or Grim Hunt.
  • The Ultimates by Millar and Hitch.
  • BB

    #95 Posted by k4tzm4n (34954 posts) - - Show Bio

    @Billy Batson: All I'm going to say is:

    #96 Posted by yo_yo_fun (639 posts) - - Show Bio

    This is a great Batman book, I absolutely love it! And this article hits the points on why it's so great.

    Jeph Loeb's Batman books were really good, my favorite Batman book of all time is The Long Halloween. Dark Victory comes close second.

    #97 Posted by Fastblender (54 posts) - - Show Bio

    Why you shouldn't read Batman: HUSH

    Primarily, it's the painfully simple reveal of Hush. So there's "an unknown stalker sabotaging Batman at every possible turn" and also it "introduces a childhood friend who is now a skilled doctor, Thomas "Tommy" Elliot". You don't think the two brand new characters could be *GASP* one and the same?! This undermines the Jason Todd reveal which would have been a bigger surprise, held more emotional weight, and offered up more future story potential. SInce then, there's been more stories and interest in Jason's return than Hush himself. It also would have avoided the often mocked "Prime Punch" which ended up being the catalyst for his return. There's also the reveal of a fully healed Two-Face which apparently wasn't important enough to actually happen on the page? It's essentially an excuse to have Jim Lee draw everything Batman and if that's your thing, more power to you. But ask yourself: how does the Huntress fight crime in that outfit? Wouldn't Croc be more complimentary batman villain as a man born to a tragic deformity rather than a mindless beast?

    #98 Posted by Billy Batson (58381 posts) - - Show Bio

    @Fastblender said:

    Why you shouldn't read Batman: HUSH

    Primarily, it's the painfully simple reveal of Hush. So there's "an unknown stalker sabotaging Batman at every possible turn" and also it "introduces a childhood friend who is now a skilled doctor, Thomas "Tommy" Elliot". You don't think the two brand new characters could be *GASP* one and the same?! This undermines the Jason Todd reveal which would have been a bigger surprise, held more emotional weight, and offered up more future story potential. SInce then, there's been more stories and interest in Jason's return than Hush himself. It also would have avoided the often mocked "Prime Punch" which ended up being the catalyst for his return. There's also the reveal of a fully healed Two-Face which apparently wasn't important enough to actually happen on the page? It's essentially an excuse to have Jim Lee draw everything Batman and if that's your thing, more power to you. But ask yourself: how does the Huntress fight crime in that outfit? Wouldn't Croc be more complimentary batman villain as a man born to a tragic deformity rather than a mindless beast?

    Well said.
    BB

    #99 Posted by michaelthemighty17 (237 posts) - - Show Bio

    the art lookes good i might pick it up

    #100 Posted by spidershamrock (1382 posts) - - Show Bio

    Recently read it after getting it at Christmas and it is really good

    This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

    Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

    Comment and Save

    Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.