Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Why You Should Read BATMAN: HUSH

• 125 results
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Us Batman fans are an incredibly lucky bunch. When it comes to The Dark Knight, there's a jaw-droppingly large library of fantastic and engaging stories just waiting to be read. Plenty of gifted writers have had the pleasure of jumping into Bruce Wayne's head over the years and crafted marvelous tales. From Frank Miller to Grant Morrison, these talented writers have blessed our eyes and our brains with some genuinely stunning stories.

When it comes to Jeph Loeb's time with Batman, many think of 'The Long Halloween' and understandably so. Me, though? 'Hush' immediately comes to mind. While it isn't the strongest mystery around, it's wildly entertaining and a visual masterpiece that I firmly believe is worth reading.

No Caption Provided

The twelve-issue story arc began in 2002 and is a crime thriller focused on an unknown stalker sabotaging Batman at every possible turn. This shadowy mastermind isn't working alone, either. Said villain has apparently manipulated a staggeringly impressive number of Batman's foes and even allies. Everyone from the all-powerful Superman to a virus-infected Killer Croc take part in this mystery and make the Caped Crusader's experience a living hell.

Despite the physical and mental stress of having so many villains come out of the woodwork, a huge part of this adventure is also Batman developing a relationship with Catwoman. Additionally, Loeb dives into Bruce's earlier years and introduces a childhood friend who is now a skilled doctor, Thomas "Tommy" Elliot. Who's behind it all and what does everyone hope to accomplish? Well, you'll just have to read it to find out, won't you?

No Caption Provided

While the story is a solid dose of popcorn entertainment, what makes it truly special is artist Jim Lee's pencils. From the first panel to the very last one, Lee fills each and every scene with amazingly detailed and magnificent work. Combined with Alex Sinclair's coloring and Scott Williams' inks, this is easily one of the best looking stories out there. Even if you're not the biggest fan of Loeb's writing, there's no denying the artwork will leave you impressed. There are countless scenes here that are sure to keep a firm spot in your memory. Batman's bloody hands as he stands over the Joker? Catwoman and Batman kissing on a rooftop? Batman slugging Superman across the face? These visuals are nothing short of brilliant.

No Caption Provided

One of the many elements which make this story so superb is its ability to please both new and old readers. You could have never read a single Batman comic in your life and this would still serve as a reading experience you can fully enjoy and comprehend. Not only does it cover a huge gauntlet of Batman's characters, it also does so in a manner that doesn't force feed you with tons of exposition -- therefore not alienating longtime Batman fans. Characters are introduced and, for the most part, discussed in a fairly organic manner. It'll inform you who the character is, but not weigh you down with their entire history. Furthermore, Loeb displays a solid understanding of each character and does justice to their distinct personalities.

Speaking of the massive cast of characters, 'Hush' is sporting quite a few iconic moments in Batman's rich history. Here, we see our hero pushed to the edge against the Clown Prince of Crime and comes extremely close to crossing the line. His fight against Joker in 'Death of the Family' looked like a stroll in the park compared to this one. The image of Wayne's blood-soaked gloves is one you're sure to never forget.

And how could I not talk about the Superman fight? I dare to say this fight with the Man of Steel is second to only their encounter in Frank Miller's THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS. We all know Superman could obliterate Batman if he really wanted to, but Loeb places a key focus on why that'll never happen. People love abusing the image of Batman slugging Superman in the face, but I assure you Loeb's captions give both characters justice given the scenario. Simply put: it's a blast.

No Caption Provided

Red Hood fans, did you know this is the story that technically sees the return of the second Robin? Yes, Judd Winick's 'Under the Red Hood' is the story arc which revolves around his resurrection, but this tale has the little moments which buildup to it and are even reflected on down the road. And if you loathe the character, fear not because this is by no means a major part of the journey whatsoever.

Opinions are definitely mixed on the conclusion, but even if you're not a fan of how it all wraps up, it hardly diminishes the entire ride you'll experience. Filled with first-class artwork, immensely fun character battles featuring tons of familiar faces, an engrossing romance and solid writing, 'Hush' is a story every Batman fan needs to read at least once.

Gregg Katzman is a freelance writer for Comic Vine and IGN Entertainment. This is the part where he shamelessly plugs his Google+ andTwitter pagein hopes of getting a new follower or two.

mcgregorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mcgregorp

love this story arc

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By saoakden

I remember reading this story. I love this story. Its in my top 5 favorite Batman stories. The art was amazing, the story was very interesting, the villain one of my favorite Batman villains. Now I think about it, there is a good chance that parts of this story is still canon and some of it isn't. Still its a good story to read.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

The Intermission Chapter <3333

Avatar image for teamunitednerds
    TeamUnitedNerds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By TeamUnitedNerds

I think that this story is overrated. It just didn't do anything for me, and if it wasn't for Jim Lee's artwork, I doubt many people would like it as much

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By ccraft

Hush is one of my favorite Batman arcs! But I don't like Jim's Joker though...

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Mucklefluga

Who hasn't read HUSH?, it is a must read for sure.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
    YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

Wasn't the Jason Todd in Batman : Hush Clayface, but was hired when Hush and Jason had struck a deal?

Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
    texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By texasdeathmatch

Interesting...

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9  Edited By Pokeysteve

"Why You Shouldn't Read Hush" would have been a shorter article. One of the best Batman (Batman family) stories ever.

It had it all. Story, art, and mystery.

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
    Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

I read it....TWICE.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jnr6Lil

Great story arc. Hush is easily in the top 10 Batman villains, pushed him to his limits and was like the anti-Batman

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@texasdeathmatch said:

Interesting...

Have you read it?

@Mucklefluga said:

I'm sure there's still quite a few!

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

Wasn't the Jason Todd in Batman : Hush Clayface, but was hired when Hush and Jason had struck a deal?

During the second part of their fight, yes. It's later revealed (not in this story) that it was indeed Jason during the first part of the fight in the graveyard, though. This story also revealed that Jason's grave is now empty. *insert dramatic music here*

Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
    texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By texasdeathmatch
    @k4tzm4n: No, just diving into some of the Batman trades. Still have to read the Court of Owls one with him, but I'll have to add this to the list.
    SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By SoA

i liked hush it had a good overall story , every gotham character was in it , and i love "anti-batman " characters . my only complaint : it gave rise to the Resurrection of jason todd . could've been a great villain (assassin with batman's training and secrets?) or could have been made to be a better anti-hero ,(RHATO has not impressed me ) i feel hush may have been over shadowed by the red hood arc that followed and that's a damn shame . a anti-batman who changes his face could do a whole lot of damage and really give batman hell.

detective38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By detective38

Oh pre-new 52 huntress I miss you...

wessaari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By wessaari

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: Jason was in hush, but was only officially added when Winnick wrote Red Hood. Jason is present when he first reveals himself but switches with Clayface. Not the best way to do things or reintroduce Jason, but its all done now. Im still glad that Winick thought that, because it inspired him to write Under the Red Hood, and give rise to the return of Jason Todd.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By sinestro_GL

Well this article is...11 years too late

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

One of the top Batman stories of all time...no longer canon obviously to what the current order of things are, but a must for any Dark Knight fan. And now Katz for me thet itle for this article should be "Why I should Re-Read Batman: Hush"...now Im off to reread!

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Billy Batson

Nope.
    BB

gregroyj42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By gregroyj42

I just read this about 6 months ago got it cheap digitally. I read it once and was not amazed by it, however the second time blew me away. Jason Todd is my favorite robin and I enjoyed that part of the story. The art was incredible and the story was solid.

hyenascar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21  Edited By hyenascar

why wouldn't you love Hush. Batman in actual peril. Punching Superman. Seriously screw Superman

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By z3ro180

Read this....stop reading this and go dread hush as in NOW

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dondave

The first Batman story that I actually liked

Batnandez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Batnandez

@saoakden: top 5? year one is better, black mirror better, rip better, tdkr better, batman and robin reborn better, long halloween better, killing joke, arkham asylum etc...

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
    YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

@k4tzm4n: @wessaari: Oh yeah I forgot about that. Thanks for clearing that up.

xxxddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By xxxddd

@mcgregorp said:

love this story arc

xxxddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#27  Edited By xxxddd

@k4tzm4n said:

This story also revealed that Jason's grave is now empty. *insert dramatic music here*

Didn't Todd dig out the grave with his finger nails then was trained by Talia?

If so, what book am I referring to? I remember reading some "prelude" or "lost years" arc that wasn't the Red Hood.

iceslick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 83

#28  Edited By iceslick

My first jump on point in reading comic books!! Love this series and I still have every single issue in print in good mint condition!!! I also have all the toys based on that series! :-)

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By reignmaker

Everything about the Hush storyline was entertaining except for Hush.

I prefer The Long Halloween and Dark Victory.

nickxh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By nickxh

I think this was the first Batman story I actually read from start to finish. I wonder if Hush will make a return in the New 52.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By TDK_1997

Because the story was just good and entertaining.It had weak points but it was making you interested more and more with every single issue.

Grey56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By Grey56

@Mucklefluga said:

This was my knee jerk response. I don't know many folks whom haven't read it that I've encountered. It is quality stuff.

Trevel8182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#33  Edited By Trevel8182

My Favorite Batman story to bad I remember it more as Jeph Loeb's last good story.

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 21

#34  Edited By Queso6p4

@TeamUnitedNerds said:

I think that this story is overrated. It just didn't do anything for me, and if it wasn't for Jim Lee's artwork, I doubt many people would like it as much

Fair enough. I do think it was decent overall. Jeph Loeb needs to only stick to Batman stories.

@sinestro_GL said:

Haha! When I read the title I mentioned that to my friend. I said "This came out over a a decade ago."

AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AngeTheDude

I don't think of HUSH as a crime thriller but as a "Hollywood summer blockbuster" kind of read.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Queso6p4 said:

@TeamUnitedNerds said:

Fair enough. I do think it was decent overall. Jeph Loeb needs to only stick to Batman stories.

@sinestro_GL said:

Haha! When I read the title I mentioned that to my friend. I said "This came out over a a decade ago."

@sinestro_GL said:

"Why You Should Read" is a weekly segment where the staff alternates recommending different stories we love. Age is totally irrelevant. Tony covered Secret Wars, Mat covered Y: The Last Man, and next week I believe Sara will select something else. While most Batman fans have obviously read this by now, there's still plenty of people who haven't. I really wanted to come out of the gate with a Batman story and Hush immediately came to my mind. As I write more and more of these I'm sure I'll start picking lesser known stories. For example, I'll eventually want to recommend Bane's story in Azrael's title.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By saoakden

@Batnandez: Those are good stories but I like Hush better than some of those stories. I said it was in the Top 5 I didn't say what number it was on.

dmkicksballs13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By dmkicksballs13

To the 5 Batman comic fans who haven't read Hush:

It's not essential reading. Lee's artwork is awesome in this and the back story with Eliot and Bruce is entertaining and necessary, but other than that, everything is a mixed bag. It tried too hard to include every citizen of Gotham (bad or good), Hush is barely a part of it, The Joker is way too goofy in this arc, and the Catwoman drama is way too forced. Seriously Batman decides to tell Catwoman he is Bruce, and 10 issues later they "break-up".

Lord_Pyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Lord_Pyre

I read this a while back and didn't like it at all. It never really felt like a mystery to me. Felt just like a cheap reason to throw in as many bat characters in one book. I dunno, maybe I'll reread it, but I certainly wasn't impressed the first time around.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SmashBrawler

Hush was a lot of fun. Sure, it wasn't anything deep and Hush himself sucked, but I enjoyed it.

Who's behind it all and what does everyone hope to accomplish? Well, you'll just have to read it to find out, won't you?

And right next to this: "Dig Deeper into Hush Thomas Elliot is a renowned surgeon and childhood friend of Bruce Wayne. A meticulous planner, Elliot resents the fact that Bruce's father thwarted his plot to murder his parents. Aware of Bruce Wayne's secret identity, and assuming the identity of criminal mastermind Hush, he sets out to destroy Batman."

Sorry, I thought this was kinda funny :P

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By HushoftheWind

Just like to point it out that i DID NOT get my name from this story arc, i've been going by Hush since Dreamcast.

Now that that's out the way, this arc was amazing. If not for the story itself, definitely for the artwork. Jim Lee pretty much set the standard on drawing Batman/Bruce the others such as Superman, Nightwing, Catwoman, ect.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

#42  Edited By SynCig

I absolutely love this story. As stated, the art is beyond incredible and the plot is quite entertaining. My favorite aspect of the arc was the Batman and Catwoman relationship.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@SmashBrawler said:

Hush was a lot of fun. Sure, it wasn't anything deep and Hush himself sucked, but I enjoyed it.

Who's behind it all and what does everyone hope to accomplish? Well, you'll just have to read it to find out, won't you?

And right next to this: "Dig Deeper into Hush Thomas Elliot is a renowned surgeon and childhood friend of Bruce Wayne. A meticulous planner, Elliot resents the fact that Bruce's father thwarted his plot to murder his parents. Aware of Bruce Wayne's secret identity, and assuming the identity of criminal mastermind Hush, he sets out to destroy Batman."

Wow, that's priceless.

AVERT YOUR EYES TO THE FEATURE ONLY, NEW READERS!

Novemberx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Novemberx2

i actually think this a terrible story...

CodyRADkinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By CodyRADkinson

@k4tzm4n This was the first batman graphic novel I ever read and I loved it! What other Graphic Novels would you recommend?

Mokey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Mokey

Remember when Jeph Loeb wrote that Batman story that featured a mysterious villain that was always one step ahead of Batman, had all his biggest rogues cameo-ing to pad the story and was 12 issues long?

What was it called again? The Long Halloween? Dark Victory? No, wait! Hush!

Zblayde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Zblayde

Yeah, you people don't know what the fuck you're doing. There are so many other Batman stories so much better than this crap.

Avatar image for johnkmccubbin91
    johnkmccubbin91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 672

User Lists: 103

#48  Edited By johnkmccubbin91

I loved this story, what got me into comics

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SmashBrawler

@k4tzm4n said:

@SmashBrawler said:

Wow, that's priceless.

AVERT YOUR EYES TO THE FEATURE ONLY, NEW READERS!

LOL, I guess they're safe if they're reading this in forum format.

Kesho_Ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Kesho_Ronin

One of the best batman stories and one of the finest work of Jim Lee

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.