Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23645 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Why we think the 1989 Batman is the best film of them all.

Avatar image for wewatchedamovie
    WeWatchedAMovie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By WeWatchedAMovie

Plus you might think the beginning is funny. Thanks!

WeWatchedAMovie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By WeWatchedAMovie
    Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Xanni15

Cool. I'm not a fan of the Burton films but nice review.

WeWatchedAMovie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By WeWatchedAMovie

Sorry didnt mean to post twice! Thanks Xanni15!

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Xanni15

@WeWatchedAMovie said:

Sorry didnt mean to post twice! Thanks Xanni15!

You're welcome. :]

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FatihBATMAN

love Burtons atmosphere! thats it...

MrShway88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MrShway88

Burton's films and the Animated series was what first introduced me to the Batman franchise. Plus the 89 film didn't have mouth-breather Bale in it.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Eternal19

The Burton Batman was good for its time. I hated how they made batman kill though it annoyed me throughout the whole movie

wessaari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By wessaari

someone said it before, this movie as well as the animated series got my into batman, but looking at it now with better insight to the comics, it is incredibly annoying to watch. Burton has openly admitted he has never read a comic book, and honestly if you are not going to even take the time to have better knowledge of what you are doing, it is incredibly disrespectful. that being said, i think acting wise, Keaton was quite good, and Nicholson haunted my nightmares as a child.

neale7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By neale7

@WeWatchedAMovie:

Love the Burton/Keaton films. I think they will always be my favourite of the whole of the Batman film series. Love the gothic setting and grimness of Gotham city. I agree about the films having all my favourites, suit, car, tone, most importantly the actor's who played the characters and the portrayal of the characters themselves.

Totally get what you both were saying about the toys being in the gold boxes, loved that. They were so eye catching.

I do think you are right in how under appreciated these films are though. I think there under appreciated because super maniac batman fans are like “Well this is wrong, this isn't how it's supposed to be, Batman kills." Seriously who cares? As long as the story, acting, direction and the vision are there, it’s all-good. Which I think both the Burton/Keaton films have. It was Burton’s vision, which worked at the time, like Chris Nolan’s has worked for this generation, but even his version isn't a perfect representation of Batman. His version still has bits that are wrong or not correct by comic standard. I mean you never know, maybe in 15years time, Nolan’s films won't be as appreciated as the batman films then.

I think us as batman fans should also appreciate the Burton/Keaton films more, as in my opinion, it set up the stage for Batman: The Animated Series, not only with the tone but with the grown up story telling.

Whodid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Whodid

Burton's Batman did a great job at introducing a darker Batman to the world of films, and I really do like both films but there is just two things about Batman 1989 that just annoyed me, 1 Batman kills a lot and 2 the Joker he is just portrayed as a psychotic mob boss, nothing like the Joker we know from the comics, or at least any I have read. But despite that the 2 films are a lot of fun, and in a way you could say Batman The Animated Series took what was great about Burton's Batman and improved on the areas the films wasn't so strong in.

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FatihBATMAN

Tim burton not having read a single batman comic..jesus.....good lord..

Red_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Red_Jack

What's all this about Tim Burton not reading a single Batman comic. I don't believe that. I n fact, I've read from many sources that Tim Burton was inspired by The Killing Joke novel by Alan Moore. I've seen all the batman films except the newest one. The first ever one is still my favourite because for some reason, Michael Keaton fitted Bruce Wayne very well. The first film had some epic moments. Joker frying a guy with the hand buzzer; Batman fighting Jokers goons for the first time until only Jack runs away; Batman getting his ass kicked up on the bell tower by that african ninja dude; Joker plummeting to the earth with a gargoyle strapped to his ankle; Jake getting instantly killed by Joker because he lost his balloons. Finally, my fave part of that film "Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?"

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FatihBATMAN

you make some pretty good moments there....Batman Begins for me is in the top 2...i loved all the philosophy it had..about fear and what not...it was great.

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15  Edited By lorex

Good review. While the Nolan Batman movies might be better theater I would say the 1st Tim Burton Batman movie was the best adaptation of the comic book Batman to the big screen.

DarkKnight1939

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DarkKnight1939

Tim Burton did read a Batman comic; he was inspired by The Killing Joke:

"I was never a giant comic book fan, but I've always loved the image of Batman and The Joker. The reason I've never been a comic book fan - and I think it started when I was a child - is because I could never tell which box I was supposed to read. I don't know if it was dyslexia or whatever, but that's why I loved The Killing Joke, because for the first time I could tell which one to read. It's my favorite. It's the first comic I've ever loved. And the success of those graphic novels made our ideas more acceptable." Tim Burton.

I believe that Keaton's performance as the Batman and Bruce Wayne was very poor and he shouldn't have been put into the role. Another negative factor is the terrible fighting scenes and the fact that Batman kills. However, I love Jack Nicholson's performance of the Joker and Burton's portrayal of him. The dark undertones in Burton's films helped usher in a new era of a "darker" Batman.

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FatihBATMAN

But one must come to realise...that, this thought of simply putting a character from COMICS to FILM, and hope to take ALL the atmosphere, character traits design, etc. into a MOTION picture....there is bound to happen some change...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.