Why was Batman Returns so stupid?

#1 Posted by comicdude23 (11397 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought the 89 Batman was okay. Though my main complaint was that The Joker wasn't crazy enough, but anyways. The sequel sucked, they ruined The Penguin (instead of making him a gangster they made him a supernatural freak who bites people's noses), they had an army of Penguins working for him (wtf?), Catwoman literally had 9 lives (how did she live each time?), she also came back to life. Batman killed a guy for no reason (what's the point?), etc. Another complaint was Gordon (who was a fat cop that didn't give a shit). I rewatched the 89 Batman and it was a damn good stand alone film (still don't think it's anywhere near the Nolan's films) but was quite good. The sequel however sucked.

#2 Edited by SupBatz (1489 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually prefered Batman Returns to any other of the Burton/Schuemier (sp?) films. The '89 Batman was pretty good but it had a lot of slow scenes and lacked depth in some areas. Batman Returns felt a lot more fun. I try to view it as a fun film rather than a serious one. True, Batman killing people and Catwoman having nine lives are both a bit of a turn off. But I think the dark comedy and overall tone of the film makes up for its flaws.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.