Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23535 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Why Should Bruce's Costume Change?

Avatar image for deactivated-5af7470263a09
    deactivated-5af7470263a09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

One thing that has really annoyed me since the return of Bruce Wayne is that his classic costume has been given to Dick Grayson, while he is given a new suit.  

Grayson is running around in what is essentially the real batman suit, while the original has to change for him. Why didnt Graysons suit change? Bruce wore that costume seventy years. I hope this isnt permanent. 
    Sydpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Sydpart2

Not really, Bruce went for the suit that is an icon for the Bat symbol, some of the artists make it look like the symbol is lit up, because he's now the "face" or "figure head" of Inc. makes sense when you think about it.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PrinceIMC

Bruce's costume has changed wildly over the years. Plus Dick wanted people to think he was the Batman who had always been around so of course he used Bruce's costume.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@PrinceIMC: Dick said it himself once Bruce came back hed revert back to nightwing. Why hasnt that happened? Its so stupid. And hes worn variations, sure, but the core costume (trunks ,cape) never has changed.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#5  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I like the new costume.

Batman Annual  #28
    Batman Annual #28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Sydpart2: He would have been even more the figurehead if he was in the suit he designed and has worn his entire career. Someone like batman isnt going to just change his suit to fit in with a new idea. He has made the perfect suit for himself, and now its changed because hes the leader of batman inc.? character wise, it makes no sense. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@War Killer: it is cool, but its not the classic suit. It amkes sense theyd change it for a movie, but not for Dick Grayson. And In changing bruces costume and leaving grayson in the old one, it makes it look like bruce is the imposter, instead of the other way around.
    Sydpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sydpart2
    @kev17: He won't change his outfit to help an idea? I'm sorry but didn't he make the original outfit because he wanted to embody an idea? And isn't this idea supposed to be his? Dick said he'd go back to Nightwing but in B&R 16 Bruce told him that he still wanted him to be Batman. And the new costume isn't really that big a difference from the one he was wearing in the 80's and 90's 
    http://wallpaperbase.com/wallpapers/movie/batman/batman_6.jpg
     http://www.platformnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/batman-robin.jpg
     http://thewednesdayreader.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/son-of-the-demon.jpg
     http://www.dannygraydon.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/BATMAN-THE-CULT.jpg
    I might even argue that the yellow symbol is more iconic since it's been around since the Adam West stuff, they only had him go back to the black bat on gray suit (original original) fairly recently. The new outfit is really what I linked with some extra gadgets, a re-color, and ya know generally modernized all around. I'm not really sure what you're complaining about man.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I ll be honest with you, i dont like the idea of Dick Grayson as Batman. But theres nothing i can do about that except talk about it. And seeing Bruce wearing a different suit while dick stays in the old one is a bit much for me. I know its not THAT different, but its the little things that count to me. If you think im nitpicking, then i have to agree with you. But it just seems a bit insulting to the characters history to me. 

Sydpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sydpart2
    @kev17: but Bruce wore the yellow symbol costume for decades. If you say it's not the original then I agree with you but it's not like this is the only time in canon he's switched up the symbol, and I don't see a ton of differences from the other yellow symbol costumes except for really really really minor things that I consider more of artist interpretation. I think that you just don't like the costume or the premise (which is fine) an you're trying to rationalize why you don't.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No man its nothing to do with the symbol, you misunderstand me. I like the yellow. Its the design of the costume, the lines, the lack of trunks,the new gauntlets.  Things that were not on the original suit. 

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @kev17 said:
    @War Killer: it is cool, but its not the classic suit. It amkes sense theyd change it for a movie, but not for Dick Grayson. And In changing bruces costume and leaving grayson in the old one, it makes it look like bruce is the imposter, instead of the other way around.
    Not really. Things, even the most classic of things change over time. How does it make Bruce look like an imposter? Even if Dick didn't continue to be Batman, Bruce would still be wearing the new costume and it wouldn't make him different.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@War Killer: Without trying to say the same things over and over, the classic design has been on Bruce since the late thirties, with only the ears and belt really changing. 

And as for the imposter thing: think about it. The people of gotham have seen dick in the classic batsuit. They see Bruce in his new suit, what are they going to think? Two batmen, one of thems fake. The wrong one.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @kev17: And? Wonder Woman had a skirt when she first was created, isn't that a "classic" and now she's wearing pants. I understand that you like the classic, but the fact of the matter is, things change over time and you're just going to have to live with it. Heck who knows, maybe Bruce will even go back his old costume, you can never tell with comics.

I believe when it was announced that both Bruce and Dick were going to be Batman, everyone pretty much said it would scar even more of the criminals of Gotham. Think about it, Bruce busts up a gang over here and all the way over on the other side of Gotham, Dick takes down Two-Face and the villains are freaked out cause "Batman is everywhere". Also, it's Batman, do you really think he's going to care if people think he's an imposter or not?

Also, Gordan has seen both Dick and Bruce at the same time and isn't bothered by it, so has Nightrunner. With Batman Inc., people are realizing that they're going to be seeing more "Batmen" hanging around, so I don't think people are going to be thinking he's an imposter...plus what's to say they wouldn't think Bruce was the "real" Batman and that Dick was the "impostor"? GCPD already knew that Dick wasn't the original Batman, nor that Damian was the original Robin.
    Sydpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sydpart2
    @kev17: idk man I don't really see that big of a difference, everyone draws slightly differently and this just seems to be what the artists are doing atm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@War Killer: I dont care about wonder woman. 

I know its been said before, many times, But there should only be one Batman at a time. Two is One to many. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@War Killer: And as far as things changing over time goes, if its not broke dont fix it.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @kev17: That's your own opinion dude, which is fine. Just remember that other people (myself) have their own opinions as well :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@War Killer: Cool. Same goes for myself
    StarKiller809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By StarKiller809

I like Bruce's current costume better then I like the other. Bruce's costume looks like better to me. I think the lines on the sides of it makes it look more real and something that someone who was going to go fight people would wear.
    Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am the only one that hates the Yellow things?

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By Billy Batson

All of his costumes are great.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.