Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23635 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Why none of the Robin's should be Batman

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By batshrine

Many people like to speculate if anything were to happen to Bruce (permanently) who would be the one to take over as Batman? I argue that it shouldn't be any of the Robins and here is why...

Dick: By becoming Nightwing I feel like he has transcended the need to become Batman. He has become his own superhero and honeslty I feel making him Batman confines him, and doesn't make him true to his character.

Jason Todd: Too violent, might have a better sense of boundaries but he would lack self control all the time, and Batman needs self control. Plus besides being good at fighting, what other Batmanish trates does he have...

Tim Drake: The most well suited for the job being the most similar. I feel like he lacks similar motivations, and his idolization of Batman and Bruce would stop him from picking up the mantel. Hey if he couldn't pick up the name Robin out of respect, how could he do Batman ;)

Damian: Although he seems to be grumpy all the time, thats not what Batman is all about. Batman deep down is a very caring family oriented guy, and I feel that Damian just lacks that aspect. Plus concerns of violence comes up like Jason Todd, and Im pretty positive he has killed more people too. I think they make a better Wingman and Redbird anyway!

selinaky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By selinaky

I don't think anyone could be Batman the same way Bruce is. He IS Batman, Bruce Wayne is a mask.

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By batshrine

@Selinaky: yeah i totally agree

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DeathpooltheT1000

Robin John Blake count as Robin?

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

Dick was Batman for a while and I thought he held his own

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FatihBATMAN

Bruce Wayne tops them all, hands down...i hope nonody takes the mantle permanently

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Dick did the role justice while Bruce was gone, but it was a key element at first that Bruce didn't tell him to take up the mantle because he didn't think needed to be Batman. He thought the Nightwing role was fine. Dick was forced to take it up because of some random dude sullying it (Jason Todd).

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By colonyofcells

Bruce Wayne will always be Batman same as Clark Kent will always be Superman and Popeye will always be Popeye and Mickey Mouse will always be Mickey Mouse. As for Robin, I prefer Dick Grayson to be Robin forever.

BlackReaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BlackReaper

Well, they're not supposed to be exactly like him. A new Batman literally means a NEW Batman. Although, I think if Dick, Damian, or Tim took over the role, the suit and Gotham would mold them into Batman.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By fodigg

I think any of the Robin's could be Batman, they'd just emphasize one aspect of his skill-set:

• Bruce Wayne - The full package
    • Dick Grayson - Athleticism
    • Jason Todd - Toughness/Brutality
    • Tim Drake - Detective skills
    • Damian Wayne - Martial training

Nothing wrong with any of that. It's not like they wouldn't have skills outside their area of expertise.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BlackWind

I fully agree. Someone can take the mantle for a while, but at the end of the day, Batman is Bruce Wayne. Out of canon, Terry is the only other I accept as Batman, and even then he's not just Batman, he's Batman Beyond.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jack Donaghy

I agree with you OP, sure Dick did a good job filling in for Bruce while he was gone but he isn't Batman. I don't like the idea of anyone replacing Bruce as Batman for a permanent amount of time, it'd be like Conner Kent replacing Clark as Superman or Miles Morales replacing Peter Parker as Spider-Man in the main Marvel continuity. The only time I'll accept anyone but Bruce is when it's a future scenario where Bruce is physically unable to do the job, like in Batman Beyond.

Other than that Bruce Wayne IS Batman.

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By havoc1201

@DeathpooltheT1000: Never that dude couldnt even break free from a bad guy in TDKR.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@havoc1201 said:

@DeathpooltheT1000: Never that dude couldnt even break free from a bad guy in TDKR.

It was a joke.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

I might be missing something but.... If Bruce intended John Blake to become Batman in Nolans movies... what about all the training needed that comes with it? leave a note of some good ninja masters references he's heard of?

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By Mbecks14

While Dick was a great placeholder for Batman, i agree with the OP that Dick's role as Nightwing was him forging his own path. I don't think Dick wants to be Batman. He's definitely the most qualified and was raised to be Batman, but he just isn't Batman. Jason is too much of an asshole. He doesn't have the discipline to be Batman. Tim Drake is certainly the most capable detective of his "brothers" but he isn't Batman. He doesn't see himself as the heir to the mantle, and I don't think he would want to be either. He wants to be the world's greatest detective and a hero but he doesn't want to be like Bruce.

The most worthy Robin of inheriting the mantle is Damian. Being Bruce's biological son, it is definitely most fitting that he don the cape and cowl. He is also not only physically and mentally capable but has the psychology for the role too. He is still young, and Bruce is helping him learn to be compassionate. I think realistically, Damian would be the best choice to be Batman.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

Watch when Jason becomes the best batman besides Bruce, better than dick, better than tim. He'll show you all BELIEVE IT

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ULTRAstarkiller said:

Watch when Jason becomes the best batman besides Bruce, better than dick, better than tim. He'll show you all BELIEVE IT

HE WOULD BE THE GODDAMN BATMAN!!!

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FatihBATMAN

NO! WILL NOT

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LMFAO, Jason Todd will never be Batman. He's the one member of the family who's not even in the running for the position. Every other Bat kid would have to die for him to even have a shot.

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By gotwillpower

@Mbecks14 said:

The most worthy Robin of inheriting the mantle is Damian. Being Bruce's biological son, it is definitely most fitting that he don the cape and cowl. He is also not only physically and mentally capable but has the psychology for the role too. He is still young, and Bruce is helping him learn to be compassionate. I think realistically, Damian would be the best choice to be Batman.

This, I think Damian makes a great Batman.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.