Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Why John Blake is Nolan's Robin

comicsanity016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By comicsanity016

This is a great article. It talks about why John Blake is really Nolan's interpretation of Robin. I know it's hard to imagine Robin being in this since Bale has adamantly vented about how much he would hate such an inclusion, but if Nolan can include a character like Bane--who Schumacher all but sentenced to death in B&R--why not Robin? http://bit.ly/y2xt7F

MadRooster81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By MadRooster81

Interesting article. I doubt we will see Robin as we know him in from comics and past films, but I think the article made an interesting point of a Robin like character as a support for Batman.

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By CrimsonCake

At some point around the trailer I could have sworn I saw John Blake drawing a bird-like symbol on a piece of paper.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#4  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Nolan said from day one he would never ever bring Robin n to his films

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cattlebattle

Why can't anyone accept the fact that John Blake will just be a cop. I don't know that for sure but I am pretty confident that he will be dealing with the situation in Gotham while Batman is locked up or whatever happens to him. The character doesn't need to be a costumed vigilante to be interesting.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By ReVamp

Meh.

@cattlebattle said:

Why can't anyone accept the fact that John Blake will just be a cop. I don't know that for sure but I am pretty confident that he will be dealing with the situation in Gotham while Batman is locked up or whatever happens to him. The character doesn't need to be a costumed vigilante to be interesting.

In the proverbial sense, that could make him a Robin, no?

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cattlebattle
    @ReVamp said:

Meh.

@cattlebattle said:

Kind of, if you read the article it has an interesting bit about what Robin also translates into...something about spiritual growth. So yeah, I guess be could be a "robin" in a non literal sense, I am saying I don't think he is actually going to don a costume and call himself Robin, Nightwing or any other moniker.
    TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By TheAnnihilator

@spiderbat87 said:

Nolan said from day one he would never ever bring Robin n to his films

Perhaps he meant the way the comics portray Robin.

@ReVamp said:

Meh.

@cattlebattle said:

Yeah, I think if they make him "Robin" it'll be more of a support figure to Batman than a kid getting dressed up and fighting crime.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ReVamp

@cattlebattle said:

Kind of, if you read the article it has an interesting bit about what Robin also translates into...something about spiritual growth. So yeah, I guess be could be a "robin" in a non literal sense, I am saying I don't think he is actually going to don a costume and call himself Robin, Nightwing or any other moniker.

I didn't read the article no, I was just pointing it out from a completely different perspective.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By cattlebattle
    @ReVamp said:

@cattlebattle said:

I didn't read the article no, I was just pointing it out from a completely different perspective.

Well I agree then. I just don't see him wearing Batmans costume or any other and calling himself Azrael or Robin or whatever fan speculation there is behind it.
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ReVamp

@cattlebattle said:

@ReVamp said:

@cattlebattle said:

Well I agree then. I just don't see him wearing Batmans costume or any other and calling himself Azrael or Robin or whatever fan speculation there is behind it.

Neither do I.

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
    Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

maybe John Blaze is Azrael

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

I think it's more likely that he's really Alberto Falcone. Gary Oldman said the story would be coming full circle with this film so Talia al Ghul is in the film, I think it's likely that Carmine Falcone's kid would appear in the film as well. Both of them would some sort of revenge on Batman.

cellot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By cellot

I really disagree with the idea that John Blake is Robin, at all.

Both of the two major players have come out and basically said "No Robin." I think that's pretty straight forward.

As for Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character, I'm guessing he'll be more-or-less there to represent the people of Gotham. When we last left our hero, Batman had public opinion against him while Gordon and every other named character was still fond of him. Therefore we need a new character to represent the disapproval of Gotham in a "showing, not telling" kind of way. That's not to say that his character will be two dimensional, but I think that his role in the film. Catwoman is a pretty big personality in and of herself and the situation is set up for her to be the initial hero of Gotham (and there were hints in The Dark Knight that Catwoman was next, and we need a new girl for the series).

As for Robin himself... he's been a problem in most incarnations he's had. The basic problem can be summed up in the Indiana Jones series. In Raiders of the Ark, he's kind of a lone wolf (well except for Marion, who can keep up). In the Last Crusade he's with Sean Connery who is quite independent and they feel like they're working together. Connery may not have the same fighting ability as Harrison Ford, but he has more knowledge on the subject. However, now we get to the inevitable Temple of Doom (yeah I went out of order, sue me). In Temple of Doom we have Shortround who is a lot like Robin in many ways. They are both younger, inexperienced sidekicks to the slightly grizzled, lone wolf hero and we get what I call "Uncle Indy Syndrome." We get the feeling that Indy is essentially babysitting this character who does nothing but get into trouble as if Shortround were his nephew.

Robin is not as bad as Shortround, but his role is similar in a lot of ways: younger sidekick Batman has to guide. The are a few other problems with him too: you often get the wise-cracking kid, which doesn't fit into Nolan-verse, you change batman from the one person who can do this to something a teenager could do with the right training, and perhaps the most dire side effect is that you make the audience self-aware. A lot of Nolan's work on Batman is distancing itself from the fact that it is a comic aimed at teens/young adults. Joker's smile isn't that cheesy, over the top grin, Harvey Dent while split neatly in two doesn't have the comic look he did when Tommy Lee Jones played him in 1995. Robin reminds the audience what the target demographic of the comic is.

Now whether he'll be a "spiritual Robin" or not is complete nonsense if you ask me. Is Commissioner Gordon, Alfred, or Lucius Fox a "spiritual Robin"? They could all be seen as Batman's support/sidekicks too and it makes just as much sense. Personally I'm expecting him to be a cop representation of public opinion. He'll probably do some minor partnering with Batman as public opinion changes, but I'm not expecting the long term sidekick bit you get with Robin.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By the_tree

@cellot said:

I really disagree with the idea that John Blake is Robin, at all.

Both of the two major players have come out and basically said "No Robin." I think that's pretty straight forward.

As for Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character, I'm guessing he'll be more-or-less there to represent the people of Gotham. When we last left our hero, Batman had public opinion against him while Gordon and every other named character was still fond of him. Therefore we need a new character to represent the disapproval of Gotham in a "showing, not telling" kind of way. That's not to say that his character will be two dimensional, but I think that his role in the film. Catwoman is a pretty big personality in and of herself and the situation is set up for her to be the initial hero of Gotham (and there were hints in The Dark Knight that Catwoman was next, and we need a new girl for the series).

As for Robin himself... he's been a problem in most incarnations he's had. The basic problem can be summed up in the Indiana Jones series. In Raiders of the Ark, he's kind of a lone wolf (well except for Marion, who can keep up). In the Last Crusade he's with Sean Connery who is quite independent and they feel like they're working together. Connery may not have the same fighting ability as Harrison Ford, but he has more knowledge on the subject. However, now we get to the inevitable Temple of Doom (yeah I went out of order, sue me). In Temple of Doom we have Shortround who is a lot like Robin in many ways. They are both younger, inexperienced sidekicks to the slightly grizzled, lone wolf hero and we get what I call "Uncle Indy Syndrome." We get the feeling that Indy is essentially babysitting this character who does nothing but get into trouble as if Shortround were his nephew.

Robin is not as bad as Shortround, but his role is similar in a lot of ways: younger sidekick Batman has to guide. The are a few other problems with him too: you often get the wise-cracking kid, which doesn't fit into Nolan-verse, you change batman from the one person who can do this to something a teenager could do with the right training, and perhaps the most dire side effect is that you make the audience self-aware. A lot of Nolan's work on Batman is distancing itself from the fact that it is a comic aimed at teens/young adults. Joker's smile isn't that cheesy, over the top grin, Harvey Dent while split neatly in two doesn't have the comic look he did when Tommy Lee Jones played him in 1995. Robin reminds the audience what the target demographic of the comic is.

Now whether he'll be a "spiritual Robin" or not is complete nonsense if you ask me. Is Commissioner Gordon, Alfred, or Lucius Fox a "spiritual Robin"? They could all be seen as Batman's support/sidekicks too and it makes just as much sense. Personally I'm expecting him to be a cop representation of public opinion. He'll probably do some minor partnering with Batman as public opinion changes, but I'm not expecting the long term sidekick bit you get with Robin.

I completely agree with this, very well thought out. And I love Robin, but he doesn't quite have a place in this Nolanverse.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle said:

People belive normal humans are useless and cant do anything to help and change things. (Crappy point of view, but that how the comics work, normal humans are useless in most of the superhero comics)

Also Robin in the Nolanverse cant work, it cant work in live action and it almost dont work in animated cartoons, i mean Robin in most of animated show is more of a teen that a kid.

Adult Robin?

Chris ODonnell all over again?

Also how does a cop can be Batman sidekick or the next Batman?

Batman train many martial arts in the Nolanverse(He uses Keysi, because is faster to ko people using Keysi), in Begins we see him attacking Ras with Jujitsu, Panther and Tiger kung fu, a cop will never know enough martial arts to be a Robin(The only way is if the cop is called Jackie Chan).

i dont try to be mean, but Nolan has a great point in why Robin cant work in movies.

Also, Nolan has always kept comic books names with the important character, even with the fact John Blake was a super small character in and old Batman story that was related to The Joker.

He is Jason Todd using a name and will try to kill Batman, because he is doing what Batman isnt, taking the trash out of Gotham.

My theory makes as much sense as any other theory about John Blake being Robin or Nightwing.

Also, he isnt The Joker or The Joker long lost brother.

He is a kid, that The Joker stole his report card and then decide to be a cop, why The Joker take his report card?

Well he is The Joker and does whatever he wants to, does he even needs a reason?

Also for some reason John Blake used to be blond and now he has black hair.

Wait a have another theory he is the long lost brother of Harley Quinn, he is Manny Quinn, i mean his past is linked to the Joker.

Or better he is an inverted Harley Quinn and is gay.

Also it could be the fact Batman is inside of the Limbo and this is also an Inception Sequel.

They will chnage the name into Batman Complex, but then we will find out that Cobb was the Mad Hatter.

I read that thing and he has no evidence John Blake could be Robin, just the fact that he wishes to see Robin and John Blake having almost no origin.

Also, John Blake was ablond kid in the comic, we see a blond kid in begins and Batman gives him something and even almost talks to him.

Isnt more safe to say John Blake was that kid and thanks to the fact he saw Batman wanted to help people and made himself a cop?

htb106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By htb106

@CrimsonCake: He was drawing a bat-symbol in chalk on the ground.

Although, that drawing symbol might be quite significant because, I think, it's on the cover of the soundtrack for this film.

ThatThorFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ThatThorFan

He said he would never bring Robin into his films.... not Nightwing.

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Shawnbaby

It doesn't so much matter since this is the last Nolan Film and they're already planning to do a Batman reboot in the next few years.

fingernail9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By fingernail9

Blake can't be robin since he doesn't have Batman's training, all he got was a sweet batcave with no training.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.