Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23645 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Why is Alfreds codename Penny-One

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Isn't using penny-one as a codename for Alfred Pennyworth kind of...dumb? It's too close to his original name and while no one is generally listening...someone may be. That could be the thing that lead them in the direction of considering Bruce Wayne after they had perhaps dismissed him as being Batman...

LordoftheNorth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well dont know where it came from but iam guessing the writer just thought it was clever or something

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#3  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Other than it having "penny" in it, I really don't see how one would tie-it to Alfred. Sure it sounds similar, but unless you already suspect Bruce Wayne is Batman and just so happen to know Bruce's butler's name, I find it hard for someone to tie the two together.

But even then, when does Alfred use that codename anyway? I don't recall it being use by Batman or Alfred recently, not unless I simply overlooked it.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4 the_stegman  Moderator

"A" would be a better codename. Penny 1 is on the nose a bit.

Avatar image for jjdajetplane223
    jjdajetplane223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo: I don't like the nickname but it is less obvious than Batman getting on his radio "Alfred, I need schematics to the Steel Mill." He always says "Alfred..." in the Arkham games which I like to hear but yeah if anyone was listening they may put two and two together.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about Pennyless?

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Always thought it was a bit of a give away but then again, we already know he's Batman so that could be why. But I also think it'd be similar to Alfred calling him WayneMan.

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its a cool code-name.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer:

I think it was used in the recent issue of detective comics

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

I was wondering if they're alluding to Alfred being British, a penny is a coin in Britain or is a James Bond reference like Ms Money Penny?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.