Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23537 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Why i think Arkham Origins will fail to deliver

30KRobert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hello everyone, after having a look at the gameplay i was kind of disappointed there are a few reasons i think Arkham origins will fail to deliver and outmatch it's predecessor

• Prequel games are never a good idea because at most cases it ruins the canon-line of the game
    • No innovations gameplay-wise , as the creators said "Its arkham city reprogrammed" (excluding mini-games)
    • Missing voice actors is always a letdown and a lore-breaker.
    • Combat will probably be much less fluid thanks to the implantation of long animations during fights (taking down enemies will take about 5 seconds since every takedown will be an animation not a punch that drops people to the ground.
    • Storyline seems too linear (taking down 7-8 assassins 1 by 1 each with a boss fight (which is btw based on freeze's boss fight) than moving in on black mask its a real dull compared to arkham city's amazing storyline.
    • Different studio and writers meaning probably different approach, some players might no like it.
    • it will probably be the Dark-Knight-Movie-Successor-Case when a movie is so good a sequel (in this case a prequel) will probably not deliver the same experience as the last one, which in different words means Arkahm City set the bar very high and Arkham Origins didn't seem to top that bar so far.

iam looking forward for this game but i wasn't blown away by the gameplay as i was by Arkham City's gameplay.. overhaul it didn't hyped me at all about the game but that's just my opinion, what do you think?

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arkham city's fighting style was perfect and that's one of the reasons people like the game so of corse they wouldn't change it.

I agree about the new voice actors, Kevin conroy can play a younger batman just fine..

We don't know all the characters or assassins yet so we can't really say what the storyline is fully yet. There are obviously non assassins that come into play like joker black mask and penguin for a change of pace, and there is also anarky an branden and the police force. It seems like there is much more to this game than assassins.

And they did create new enemy types and gadgets an a new type of detective mode for recreating crime scenes.

The game has new villains that I am interested to see the arkham batman take on, and batman looks totally bad@ss!

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Cool story, bro.

Why don't you wait till it's out to pass such judgement?

The gameplay footage looks great.

Whodid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see where your coming from but personally I view this game as glorified DLC for Arkham City, new storyline pretty much the exact same gameplay and a whole new map. I have played Arkham City countless times and I never get bored so if I get the opportunity to use that gameplay (With small changes) in another Batman game I will grab onto that opportunity with both hands.

As for the story it does seem smaller in scale but we get to see Deathstroke, Bane (without the venom tanks and hopefully a good boss fight) Among many other villains, and above all a younger less experienced Batman, who thinks he knows everything until he meets his true enemies (You know the insane ones not just mob bosses) so it will be interesting to see how he initially reacts to these new malevolent forces in Gotham like Joker and whoever else is there.

And when they said based on the Freeze boss fight they merely meant that the fight will test your knowledge of what Batman can do in that game, which the Freeze fight did rather than in most boss fights which is do the same thing over and over again.

As much as I am looking forward to this game it does seem like filler, something to keep us going until the next Arkham sequel (which I pray to god Rocksteady is working on) and the fact that it is a prequel is smart in this regard because if they turn to the past they minimise the risk of contradicting Arkham 4 which I believe is why its a smaller story.

As far as lore contradictions go so far I see one which is the fact he has the grapnel boost which Bats himself said he didnt have prior to Arkham City but look at it this way would you rather navigate the world with the boost and have the same fun you had with it in City, or keep that small bit of continuity and have less fun navigating the world. Personally I would rather have it.

The voice acting I think is really good, Roger Craig Smith does seem like a younger rougher Batman, just like Troy Baker sounding like a younger version of The Joker (Even though we know what Conroy and Hamill sounded like 20 years ago anyway because of the animated series but still)

I also think the combat looks good and I like the newer animations but I may change my mind when the game is released.

With that said I look forward to Origins a lot (The rumoured Arkham 4 even more)

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

no innovations gameplay - wise? Tell me what innovations were there in Arkham City to the gameplay mechanics of Arkham Asylum?

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Be quite if we want someone to piss and moan about something we will ask

Whodid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Whodid

no innovations gameplay - wise? Tell me what innovations were there in Arkham City to the gameplay mechanics of Arkham Asylum?

Strictly gameplay changes I think the gliding would qualify as the biggest change, the combat while not changed by a great deal was much more fluid.

Breadspread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Breadspread

I love to follow a decent canon, and I'm sure origins won't be too bad, but if canon get's in the way of a better story, I'd rather a better story. As long as it dosn't stray too far I'd be fine with it.

I didn't expect much innovation in the game play from WB Montreal... I doubt they wanted to mess with Rocksteady's design too much.

I felt the same way about the voices until I heard the new ones. I think they sound good.

Combat animation looked ok so far in the demos, like you said, not much innovation, looks like the last game.

There is definitely more to the story than the Assassins. Do you think joker, with his detonators, is an assassin? What about Anarky and his side missions?

I welcome a different approach from WB, as long as we get the proper sequel from Rocksteady.

Your last point is just a pessimist point of view.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@whodid said:

@danhimself said:

Strictly gameplay changes I think the gliding would qualify as the biggest change, the combat while not changed by a great deal was much more fluid.

you could glide in the first game...the only change was new weapons and they took you out of Arkham and into the city so you had more room to glide

they may have made the combat more fluid but nothing changed was innovative....the Arkham games were awesome why would anyone want them to make big changes and risk screwing them up

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boooooo!

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Whodid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whodid said:

@danhimself said:

you could glide in the first game...the only change was new weapons and they took you out of Arkham and into the city so you had more room to glide

they may have made the combat more fluid but nothing changed was innovative....the Arkham games were awesome why would anyone want them to make big changes and risk screwing them up

Yes you could glide in Arkham Asylum but Rocksteady completely redid the gliding mechanics for City its just obvious in Asylum it was a simple you start from a high enough place and slowly glide forward until you hit the floor, but in City you could dive which would cause you to gain more momentum, and it was just overall more precise in how you could use it. In Asylum it is fair to say it was basic which was all that was needed, but you dont even have to play City to notice the gliding is much more advanced, in areas small and large.

30KRobert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By 30KRobert
    30KRobert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool story, bro.

Why don't you wait till it's out to pass such judgement?

The gameplay footage looks great.

its just my opinon man.. why be so mean... you liked the gameplay fine tell me why and how that contradicts what i said in your opinion?

how can you say that.. come on.. the outdid themselves in every corner of the game.. every gameplay mechanics have been paced much faster and more fluid to almost perfection.. they added tons of new combat techniques and animations they made the boss fights 10 times more fun and compelling... its a true masterpiece.. as for Origins i think about it exactly as the creators said "a reprogrammed Arkham city"

just go back and see how very dull the flying.. the fights..and every other topic is in comparaision

@z3ro180 said:

Be quite if we want someone to piss and moan about something we will ask

can't you accept someone's opinion? or at least respect it? come on you're better then bursting with your "insults"

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

It's how ODST was to Halo 3 and ODST does not suck.

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Voices aren't that bad at all IMO..

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@30krobert: how about Insted of moaning you wait till October play the game then make an informed opinion

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By consolemaster001

Interesting points...

chrisj_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

how can you say that.. come on.. the outdid themselves in every corner of the game.. every gameplay mechanics have been paced much faster and more fluid to almost perfection.. they added tons of new combat techniques and animations they made the boss fights 10 times more fun and compelling... its a true masterpiece.. as for Origins i think about it exactly as the creators said "a reprogrammed Arkham city"

just go back and see how very dull the flying.. the fights..and every other topic is in comparaision

I see no difference in the gameplay and like you said Rocksteady adjusted it to perfection so I see no need in changing anything.

30KRobert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By 30KRobert

@chrisj_1 said:

@30krobert said:

I see no difference in the gameplay and like you said Rocksteady adjusted it to perfection so I see no need in changing anything.

yeah but i wasn't speaking on the technical side i was speaking more about the gameplay, like adding the bat-wing as a drivable vehicle instead of the lazy solution of fast-travel vehicle illusion they did, i don't like people being afraid of changing things since the system is already good, the famous quote is "if something is not broken don't fix it" so i don't want them to fix anything, just add some interesting mechanics like Rocksteady did in Arkham City..

chrisj_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By chrisj_1

@chrisj_1 said:

@30krobert said:

yeah but i wasn't speaking on the technical side i was speaking more about the gameplay, like adding the bat-wing as a drivable vehicle instead of the lazy solution of fast-travel vehicle illusion they did, i don't like people being afraid of changing things since the system is already good, the famous quote is "if something is not broken don't fix it" so i don't want them to fix anything, just add some interesting mechanics like Rocksteady did in Arkham City..

So they added a fast travel system and gave it some in-game reasoning aka the Batwing how the hell is that a bad thing? You're being a brat about not getting playable vehicles? How is that WB's fault? Dude that's an added mechanic that does not in anyway mess with the usual formula that's exactly what you're asking for and you're complaining about it because it isn't how you want it. Plus it isn't lazy it's a helpful feature, not sure why you're mad it saves time. Besides that and some enemies being able to counter (which is actually a good thing now it isn't senselessly beating down stupid enemies that can't fight) the gameplay's still the same that's their mentality "if something is not broken don't fix it".

30KRobert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chrisj_1: Nah it's not being a prick about it, my point is; what was the most memorable thing in free roaming arkham city? and arkham asylum?

the beating! the going around cleaning groups of thugs! how is fast travel going to enhance that? it might be a time saver but time savers are not always a good thing! , i mean look at skyrim! the whole fun is roaming around seeing stuff, its the same with the Arkham Verse, in Arkham City they enhanced what was already there in Arkham Asylum, the roaming and cleaning.. saving random citizens cleaning groups of thugs around the city , doing all that stuff was the actual time passer in the game if you think back at it... fast travel is going to just take that out of the game.

iam not trying to be a prick or anything but if you can see my point you will understand why iam a bit skeptical about it :|

anyway we will have to wait for the full game to see how it went down

RedLantern23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By RedLantern23

@30krobert: its funny that you use Skyrim as an example when it has a fast travel system as well..... Of course there is a simple solution. Dont like fast travel? Dont use it! Not once in my 15 years of playing video games have I heard someone say a game was bad because it included fast travel.

It sounds to me like you WANT to hate this game, and will use whatever half ass point to justify it. If you go into something wanting to hate, chances are you will. I'm not saying the game will be good. My point is I have no flipping idea. But I'll give it a fair chance either way.

Breadspread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arkham Origins will be awesome.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

honestly i probably will only use the fast travel system once just to see the animation that goes along with it. Having to glide around arkham is how I got familiar with it and found all the Easter eggs and cool places and such. I feel I'm going to miss a lot of what the open world Gotham has to offer by simply skipping over it. I want to feel like I am batman and I want to explore the city completely.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@redlantern23: @theacidskull: @z3ro180: Why are you all acting like dickheads in this thread? The guy is stating his opinions on how much of the game he's seen so far and is making predictions, it's not illegal and it's not hating considering he even said in the OP that he's looking forward to it. If you don't like what he has to say don't read his god damn threads.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: because this happens all the dame time a game is announced it annoying

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180: Yea so what, WB have advertised this game and the guy posted his thoughts on it. That's what advertising is for.

Paragon_Sean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope it's good! I just put a pre-order on it...

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: He's not judging he's stating his opinion on the things he's worried about while also looking forward to the game

RedLantern23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@jonny_anonymous: You're the only dickhead I see in this thread. Its not illegal for me to reply with any criticism. I think threads predicting whether or not something will suck are stupid and I can say so if I wish. Dont like it? Dont read my god damn posts :)

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

A few months back I would've agreed with the first three and second last points but having seen the footage and sampled the voices I think you're being too harsh on the game.

Amazing stroryline though neither the Arkham games had that,sure AC had the pretense of a good story but on that front it was just a bunch of fairly well known Batman tales/tropes mashed together. It appeared awfully predictable to me I could see everything coming from a mile away,on the other hand I have no idea what's gonna happen in Origins,Copperhead...SERIOUSLY COPPERHEAD.

giantsfan576

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By giantsfan576

Arkham Origins did suck. I beat it, seriously awful.

And my favorite game of all time is Arkham City by far, that's saying something.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.