Why I didn't like The Dark Knight Rises

#1 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2685 posts) - - Show Bio

Bruce should have never have retired. Batman is a man on a mission. The only reason he would ever quit is if he was dead or paralyzed from the waist down. He's is a character that won't change, for better or worse. I think Rorschach's most famous quote sums Batman's character up perfectly

"Even in the face of Armageddon I shall not compromise in this."

Rises shows a Batman that HAS compromised. No mob doesn't equal no crime and as long as innocent people are being harmed Batman would step in. Batman Beyond shows Bruce quitting, but they justify it. He's old and one night while he was trying to save a hostage, he's overpowered and forced to threaten a criminal with a gun in order to save his own life. At that point he was disgusted with what he had to resort to and realized that he was incapable of carrying on the fight any longer. This movie didn't establish a good reason for why the last scene of TDK was his last night as Batman for 8 years. They could've had it where he sustained an injury from the fall and gunshot wound at the end of TDK and can't maneuver as well as he could before. Put him in the same situation as he was in Beyond THEN cut to 8 years later. Bane shows up and he knows he's got to stop him, but he's still being effected from his old injury. He knows the risk that he'll die are far greater than ever before, but he's ready to go out in a blaze of glory. This would have made the ending and overall story MUCH better as far as I'm concerned. No I'll give credit where credit is do. The rest of this movie was fantastic, Bane was awesome, Catwoman was awesome, the action was awesome.

#2 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

Its....a different take on the character?

#3 Posted by cattlebattle (13397 posts) - - Show Bio

Bruce Wayne in Nolans trilogy didn't want to be Batman forever......After the Dent act, there was no real need for Batman or the Major Crimes Unit

#4 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2685 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_ said:

Its....a different take on the character?

Batman Begins showed Bruce becoming Batman. The Dark Knight showed Bruce coming into the role of Batman. The Dark Knight Rises shows him not being active for eight years since the ending of The Dark Knight. I realize this is a different take on his character, but the ending of Rises feels so disconnected with the first two films. The Dark Knight ended with the feeling that he was going to keep on being Batman in spite of what people think of him now. I wouldn't mind the 8 years of inactivity if they gave a legitimate reason for it.

#5 Posted by cattlebattle (13397 posts) - - Show Bio
@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

. I wouldn't mind the 8 years of inactivity if they gave a legitimate reason for it.

They did....John Blake mentions how scarce crime in the city has become because of things like the Dent act, they used Dents legacy so the people of Gotham had a hero, they also mentioned how deteriorated Bruces body has become
#6 Posted by The Stegman (26051 posts) - - Show Bio

1st- He was a wanted felon thanks to everyone thinking he murdered Harvey Dent, thus he really couldn't be Batman too often 
2nd- The Dent Act cleaned up the streets of Gotham to the point that Batman wasn't needed, As the Major said, they were in peace time.

#7 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (8086 posts) - - Show Bio

Though I agree, like everyone says, it's a different take on Batman. I don't really care at all for it, but that's all there is to it. But don't worry, I'm with ya. Lol.

#8 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2685 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: I just have a VERY hard time believing that a single act could stop all crime in Gotham. Even the nicest of cities has a dark underbelly amd Gotham would definitely have one. And even if it didn't there are things like serial killers, rapists, etc. Firefly, Mad Hatter, even Mr. Zsasz could've been a used in a series of quick flashbacks showing Bruce slowly having trouble being Batman due to injuries instead of just quitting and letting his body rot.

#9 Posted by cattlebattle (13397 posts) - - Show Bio
@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@cattlebattle: I just have a VERY hard time believing that a single act could stop all crime in Gotham. Even the nicest of cities has a dark underbelly amd Gotham would definitely have one. And even if it didn't there are things like serial killers, rapists, etc. Firefly, Mad Hatter, even Mr. Zsasz could've been a used in a series of quick flashbacks showing Bruce slowly having trouble being Batman due to injuries instead of just quitting and letting his body rot.

Well...its a fictional movie. The whole thing was Bruce didn't want to be Batman forever, he more or less wanted to save his city from corruption....which he accomplished
#10 Posted by Swagger462 (382 posts) - - Show Bio

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

You can have as harder a time believing that one act could do that all you like. But it's a movie and in this movie that is what happened. Hence why Batman was inactive.

#11 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2685 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: Like I said this film felt so disconnected with the first two films. The Dark Knight ended with the feeling that he was going to keep on being Batman and I for one was ready for a movie where he's fully settled in his role as Gotham's protector. This movie didn't have that and it didn't feel like Batman to me. If other people like the movie then more power to them, I for one just didn't like how this trilogy ended

#12 Posted by vandinejd_1991 (347 posts) - - Show Bio

I am in complete agreement with you on this Smart_Dork_Dude. The Batman I've come to know and love does not quit even if he's incapicitated like after Knightfall or he "died" he always has someone take over the cowl so that Gotham is not without a protector. Also since when is Gotham ever at peace. Criminals like the Joker or Scarecrow are escaping from Arkham all the time to cause chaos. Would the Joker really sit content in his cell for eight years? No I don't think so.

#13 Edited by Metron144 (104 posts) - - Show Bio

I uh.....I just saw it......didn't like it. The plot seemed pretty weak to me. Catwoman had just about had no back story. Why didn't they have Anne cut her hair short like it is now and base the catwoman off of the version that was in effect before the reboot? (like the hush catwoman) It seems like that catwoman fits more into a real world scheme. The whole line of "i'm gonna finish my father's work on gotham and in the process kill myself and the ENTIRE league of shadows" felt ultra weak. The whole thing about Bruce sitting in a mansion for 8 years was also pretty weak. Just overall I was disappointed. I liked Anne Hathaway, but come on, it's easy to like her. I'm glad that Cilian Murphy reprised his role as Professor Krane again. I know the joker is a hard act to follow, but bane wasn't nearly as menacing as they really could've made him. At the end when his mask gets damaged and he seems to go crazy as he's punching a stone pillar, was a leap into the right direction. They should've made him an unstoppable force of nature through out. I would've been satisfied with Bane being the sole villian in the movie who is on the streets challenging batman's mind, body, and will. All the while there's this cat burgalar running around and the police are still after Bats. Instead we got kind of an overblown and largely unnecessary plot that didn't even feel like a Batman flick. The finale took place during the DAY. Plus, how the hell did bruce escape the fusion bomb? How is "Robin" (ugh why'd they even bother?) supposed to take over as batman when he doesn't even have the training that bruce got from the league? He's not a ninja. End rant.

#14 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

@Smart_Dork_Dude: Your issues seem to lie in interpretation. This isn't the Batman of the comics, games or cartoons. This Batman isn't yours. It's Christopher Nolan's. Nolan's Batman "sacrifices" himself, his reputation, his ability to operate in Gotham, at the end of Dark Knight in order that 1. The criminals Harvey Dent put away stay in jail and 2. The police in Gotham are granted additional power to tackle crime.

If you recall, all through Dark Knight, Bruce Wayne was planning his retirement. In Harvey Dent he saw a way out of being Batman. A White Knight operating inside the law instead of a Dark Knight struggling on the fringes. Though that White Knight fell, Gordon and Batman's noble lie (see Plato's Republic, college students) allows the police force to turn the tide and lead to a lasting peace in Gotham.

Batman wasn't necessary during this period. Nolan's Batman is less psychotically driven than the DCU's. He wanted a way out to be with the love of his life, and though she died, he retired when the opportunity presented itself.

#15 Posted by Cap10nate (2734 posts) - - Show Bio

@Metron144: I agree with what you said. I was pretty disapponted with the movie. It was a decent movie but not spectacular.

#16 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2685 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crash_Recovery said:

Your issues seem to lie in interpretation. This isn't the Batman of the comics, games or cartoons. This Batman isn't yours. It's Christopher Nolan's. Nolan's Batman "sacrifices" himself, his reputation, his ability to operate in Gotham, at the end of Dark Knight in order that 1. The criminals Harvey Dent put away stay in jail and 2. The police in Gotham are granted additional power to tackle crime.

If you recall, all through Dark Knight, Bruce Wayne was planning his retirement. In Harvey Dent he saw a way out of being Batman. A White Knight operating inside the law instead of a Dark Knight struggling on the fringes. Though that White Knight fell, Gordon and Batman's noble lie (see Plato's Republic, college students) allows the police force to turn the tide and lead to a lasting peace in Gotham.

Batman wasn't necessary during this period. Nolan's Batman is less psychotically driven than the DCU's. He wanted a way out to be with the love of his life, and though she died, he retired when the opportunity presented itself.

I get that this Batman didn't have the drive to stay Batman forever. However with the way Dark Knight ended it honestly felt like the next movie would show us a fully developed Batman, one that has truly become a legend in Gotham. Instead we got a weak plot, a Batman that shows up in costume maybe 20 minutes total during the entire movie, a main villain who's plan makes next to no logical sense. I could forgive the last one if this was The Joker, but it's not.

#17 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked it, it wasnt bad. I think a lot of people were just expecting it to be better than The Dark Knight.

#18 Posted by KraytRawk (628 posts) - - Show Bio

@Smart_Dork_Dude said:

@cattlebattle: Like I said this film felt so disconnected with the first two films. The Dark Knight ended with the feeling that he was going to keep on being Batman and I for one was ready for a movie where he's fully settled in his role as Gotham's protector. This movie didn't have that and it didn't feel like Batman to me. If other people like the movie then more power to them, I for one just didn't like how this trilogy ended

In Nolans batman, bruce isnt looking to be a superhero, he is looking to be a symbol against evil, to inspire people. He didnt dedicate his life to beat criminals to a pulp, its to save Gotham. He sacrificed himself to save every single person in Gotham. His death inspired everyone in gotham, he became A legend. Just look at the moment when hes is flying out to sea, he has a look of comfort, as if all he had done had lead up to that, and he was perfectly fine with what was happening. That. My friend was a perfect ending to Nolans Batman.

#19 Posted by Wolfrazer (7713 posts) - - Show Bio

Well...I mean really, Batman was paralyzed by Bane breaking his bane(well that and his leg or was it knee? Had no cartilage). He shouldn't have been able to even walk, but not really the point point is is that he was disabled even if they came up with some way to magically fix him and he'd still be able to go out and beat up bad guys.

#20 Edited by G_Money_Christmas (884 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't like it because it was uninteresting and at times just plain boring in my opinion. The Dark Knight is one of my favorite movies ever, and Batman Begins is up there, too. I just don't think the movie held up to the other two. I was very disappointed when I left.

I have another question, which has nothing to do with my disappointment in DKR. Ever since I joined this site, which hasn't been very long, I've wondered what do the different colored backgrounds on the nametags mean? Some are black, some blue, some are red. Does it have to do with contributions to the articles or something of the sort?? I've looked but I can't find the answer

#21 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6492 posts) - - Show Bio

i always thought of batman as stubborn and he wouldnt give up just because he's a felon and he wouldnt just hand over the mantle as the cities protector i always thought he only trusted himself and the robins and how did blake deduce bruces identity by bruce smileing BS but its still a good movie

#22 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18731 posts) - - Show Bio

@ULTRAstarkiller said:

i always thought of batman as stubborn and he wouldnt give up just because he's a felon and he wouldnt just hand over the mantle as the cities protector i always thought he only trusted himself and the robins and how did blake deduce bruces identity by bruce smileing BS but its still a good movie

He deduced his identity using detective skills.

#23 Posted by entropy_aegis (15445 posts) - - Show Bio

@Metron144 said:

I uh.....I just saw it......didn't like it. The plot seemed pretty weak to me. Catwoman had just about had no back story. Why didn't they have Anne cut her hair short like it is now and base the catwoman off of the version that was in effect before the reboot? (like the hush catwoman) It seems like that catwoman fits more into a real world scheme. The whole line of "i'm gonna finish my father's work on gotham and in the process kill myself and the ENTIRE league of shadows" felt ultra weak. The whole thing about Bruce sitting in a mansion for 8 years was also pretty weak. Just overall I was disappointed. I liked Anne Hathaway, but come on, it's easy to like her. I'm glad that Cilian Murphy reprised his role as Professor Krane again. I know the joker is a hard act to follow, but bane wasn't nearly as menacing as they really could've made him. At the end when his mask gets damaged and he seems to go crazy as he's punching a stone pillar, was a leap into the right direction. They should've made him an unstoppable force of nature through out. I would've been satisfied with Bane being the sole villian in the movie who is on the streets challenging batman's mind, body, and will. All the while there's this cat burgalar running around and the police are still after Bats. Instead we got kind of an overblown and largely unnecessary plot that didn't even feel like a Batman flick. The finale took place during the DAY. Plus, how the hell did bruce escape the fusion bomb? How is "Robin" (ugh why'd they even bother?) supposed to take over as batman when he doesn't even have the training that bruce got from the league? He's not a ninja. End rant.

Most of this and I mean 95% of this post is just...worthless gibberish.Selina's hair? really man.Also it's become blatantly clear to me that themes and symbolism is completely lost on comicbook fans,Nolan's movies are not Shakespearean ,they are not realistic either, they have THEMES,that doesn't make them smart or pretentious it just means that they have a greater layer of depth as compared to other movies.

John Blake inheriting the cave,the final fight taking place in broad daylight etc they all have symbolic value.If you are incapable of understanding that then it's nobody's fault but yours.

#24 Posted by Skewer (325 posts) - - Show Bio

Most concluding trilogies tend to suck. This was why Christophe Nolan was reluctant to make this movie for years. Do you remember when he asked out loud how many concluding trilogies we've seen that were actually good. After all there's a lot that suck more than this one. E.g. Spider-Man 3, blade trinity, etc. I took this into account and I very much enjoyed this movie. It's hit and miss and each to their own. Some would enjoy it some will hate it, it's not really for everyone even when it tries to be. To really get the best out of this movie you'll have to remember the other trilogies. You've seen and trust me you'll enjoy it more after that.

#25 Edited by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

@G_Money_Christmas said:

I didn't like it because it was uninteresting and at times just plain boring in my opinion. The Dark Knight is one of my favorite movies ever, and Batman Begins is up there, too. I just don't think the movie held up to the other two. I was very disappointed when I left.

agree

#26 Posted by Uvula (20 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought the ending was the worst part of the movie, the movie would have been a lot better if that had just cut it when he died and stopped showing anything else.

#27 Posted by iHailCarlo (94 posts) - - Show Bio

It was Chris Nolan's interpretation of the character. Personally I thought he did an excellent job with it!

#28 Posted by Skewer (325 posts) - - Show Bio

Just watch this and take it into consideration. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp8M4sNTrbo

#29 Posted by utkanflash (466 posts) - - Show Bio

This movie not like the other..ıf u love or like the other two..Your feelin is about not old same..This is normal...And here is thing..These film; not like the real other 3rd movie...Cuz first of all.. Joker Vs VBatman story failed..Cuz Heath Ledger's death... And this movie all start again.. all new different project.. This is why these movie different to the others..My favorite.. Batman Begins... Cuz Batman most important thing..But the others.. Cases and Secrets, Mystery more spectacullar...

Still ı tought this is so good movie but ..That is true not like the other 2...

Thanls for readin and sorry for grammar mistakes

#30 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

hayde be canim :D hehe

#31 Edited by JamesKM716 (1995 posts) - - Show Bio

It wasn't necesarry for Batman to exist. The situation didn't call for him. His mission was done...

per the moment.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.