Why I believe The Dark Knight Rises will sell more than Avengers

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he is

THE BATMAN!

#2 Posted by Mercy_ (92257 posts) - - Show Bio

Sigh

#3 Posted by k4tzm4n (36126 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

Sigh

Agreed, lol. I opened this hoping there was actually a counter-blog to my own.

Staff Online
#4 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

Also, I'll quote this as my reason.

@VinceNotVance said:

Avengers is doing extremely well right now. It'll make a billion dollars worldwide, no question, but that 3D money definitely helped.

Here's the thing though. The Dark Knight is legendary. We all knew that Avengers was going to be huge; Marvel spent 4+ years marketing, developing and creating origin stories for its most popular characters leading up to this moment. But The Dark Knight was never pegged to by anything but a successful follow-up to a well-received reboot by an up-and-coming director. Maybe it was Heath Ledger, maybe it was the paltry line-up in Summer 2008, maybe it was the stellar reviews (Avengers has gotten largely positive reviews, but The Dark Knight was legitimately pegged as an Oscar contender) whatever it was, it skyrocketed Dark Knight into pop culture phenomenon territory.

Will The Dark Knight Rises exceed what the previous film made? Not sure- second sequels usually see less retainment than immediate sequels. But pegging this as the "final" Batman tale, the follow-up that fans have been waiting for 4 years to see, that should help. Will it become legendary like its predecessor? Won't bet against it. If Christopher Nolan can make a largely introspective, dense psychological thriller with only one proven star & a completely original property and ride it to over $800 million worldwide, what makes you think that the biggest, most popular superhero of all time won't make history?

EDIT: Sorry, wanted to add a bit more to this. Iron Man is the most popular non-Spider-Man film in the Marvel line-up. Even though Hulk is considered a more popular comic book hero, his two films have more or less disappointed at the box office, with both Thor and Captain America outselling them handily, even adjusted for inflation, though the latter two films didn't even make as much as Batman Begins did way back in 2005, without those pesky 3D prices. The whole Avengers films from 2008 on are clearer in our minds, but the fact of the matter is that Batman is much more popular, straight up. Iron Man has his buddies backing him up, but if we just base their popularity with how their films did, Dark Knight made more than Incredible Hulk, Captain America & Thor COMBINED. So you kinda can't really make the assumption that the audience is less familiar with Batman's films as they are with the Avengers' solo efforts.

Batman is the biggest comicbook hero of all time.

#6 Posted by AweSam (7360 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

Sigh
#7 Edited by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

@Mercy_ said:

Sigh

Agreed, lol. I opened this hoping there was actually a counter-blog to my own.

Plus, I don't need a reason. He is the Batman. A reason why he is having 4 solo titles, 2 digital first titles, 1 mini series that just ended and 1 more Batman Beyond title, already 2 original graphic novel within the past few months that made the new york best selling list for several weeks, Noel even topped diamond list, and 2 more OGN coming, one of which Batman Earth One who has higher preorders than Superman Earth One which stayed like 30 weeks on NY Best selling list and is still selling tons now.

His popularity is beyond measure, everyone knows Batman, everyone loves the nolans films and everyone thinks he is cool.

Not everyone know who the Avengers is.

#8 Posted by The Stegman (22766 posts) - - Show Bio

I dunno, before the Avengers broke records, I would have said the same thing...but now...now I'm not sure..that and the Avengers have TONS more promotional advertisements then TDKR. 

#9 Posted by Billy Batson (57706 posts) - - Show Bio

What more reasons do you need?
BB

#10 Posted by SupremeHyperion (1523 posts) - - Show Bio

plus you have a land full of batman fanboys who are all going to go see it 10 times in two weeks just to say it made more. :)

#11 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@SupremeHyperion said:

plus you have a land full of batman fanboys who are all going to go see it 10 times in two weeks just to say it made more. :)

I'm not even a fan of Batman, I kinda hate him, but the Nolans film is so good I watch TDK like twice. This time, I'll make sure I'll watch TDKR around 4-5 times.

#12 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

What more reasons do you need?
BB

This

#13 Posted by nickzambuto (12679 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

@SupremeHyperion said:

I'm not even a fan of Batman, I kinda hate him, but the Nolans film is so good I watch TDK like twice. This time, I'll make sure I'll watch TDKR around 4-5 times.

That doesn't make any sense. If you like TDK, you like Batman. It doesn't work like the Spider-Man movies. Spider-Man comics and Spider-Man movies were a bit different, could understand saying the same thing about them. But TDK is a Batman movie.

#14 Edited by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio
My reasons for not liking batman is largely personal and that I do prefer other dc heroes over him because he is just way too popular. But I still enjoy his comics and movies and animated moviess and shows.

@nickzambuto:

#15 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7499 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe. Have to wait and see.

#16 Edited by k4tzm4n (36126 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare: If "everyone knows and loves Batman" is the primary reason, then why wasn't Batman Begins the hit it deserved to be? Only made $48,745,440 opening weekend. Iron Man, a character singificantly less popular than Wayne, pulled in $98,618,668 its first weekend.

Point being: people knowing Batman isn't good enough to be the main reason.

That said, call me crazy but I actually like Batman Begins more than The Dark Knight.

Staff Online
#17 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7499 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

@sethysquare: If "everyone knows and loves Batman" is the primary reason, then why wasn't Batman Begins the hit it deserved to be? Only made $48,745,440 opening weekend. Iron Man, a character singificantly less popular than Wayne, pulled in $98,618,668 its first weekend.

That said, call me crazy but I actually like Batman Begins more than The Dark Knight.

Agreed,

#18 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

Wow, was it really that much?

#19 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

THANK GOD. I thought I was the only one...

#20 Posted by k4tzm4n (36126 posts) - - Show Bio

@BiteMe-Fanboy: For a lack of better words, Ledger totally killed it as the Joker. It's a great movie, but I really enjoy the first more.

@Gambit1024:

Iron Man

Domestic Total Gross: $318,412,101
Distributor: Paramount
Release Date:
Genre: Action / Adventure
Runtime: 2 hrs. 6 min.
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Production Budget: $140 million

Date
(click to view chart)
Rank
Weekend
Gross
%
Change
Theaters
Change / Avg.
Gross-to-Date
Week
#
$98,618,668
-
-
$24,024
$102,118,668
Batman Begins

Domestic Total Gross: $205,343,774
Distributor: Warner Bros.
Release Date:
Genre: Action / Adventure
Runtime: 2 hrs. 20 min.
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Production Budget: $150 million

Date
(click to view chart)
Rank
Weekend
Gross
%
Change
Theaters
Change / Avg.
Gross-to-Date
Week
#
$48,745,440
-
-
$12,634
$72,896,986

source: http://boxofficemojo.com/

Staff Online
#21 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: That's pretty damn impressive for a character that wasn't nearly as popular at the time. Kudos, lol.

Also, it's understandable to like Batman Begins more than TDK. They really are two different films. Both great, but very different.

#22 Posted by k4tzm4n (36126 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: "Yup" to both.

@Deranged Midget: Far from it, friend!

Staff Online
#23 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: :D But I completely agree on your point regarding Iron Man being a FAR less recognized character compared to Batman at the times of their recent big film debuts. Batman has had the luxury of having what? 4 films prior to Nolan taking over? Iron Man had almost nothing going into it's release and it held up extremely well considering it opened up against The Dark Knight.

#24 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget: Too bad Hulk didn't get that same luxury. Not only was it just before TDK, but it couldn't even dominate The Happening. It's a shame, really. I felt they did a pretty good job with TIH. Not the best, but certainly better than the Ang Lee disaster.

#25 Posted by k4tzm4n (36126 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: Yeah, definitely terrible that Hulk hasn't been able to smash the box office. That said, he was absolutely the highlight of The Avengers for a lot of people, so I hope that means they'll be around and ready for a ticket when he hopefully gets another chance at his own movie in 2015.

Staff Online
#26 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: And to think that Feige wanted to give up. The reason why Hulk was so great in The Avengers was because he was so likable and that they played him for laughs. Nobody wants to see the constant "whiny, terrified, on the run" Banner all the time. Thank whoever that Ruffalo signed on for 6 films. He and Whedon truly redefined Hulk for the movies.

#27 Posted by noj (1061 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: Batman Begins is honestly a better film than Iron man but there are a few reasons Iron Man did better at the box office. First of all Iron Man was a brand new franchise and it benefited STRONGLY from word of mouth and the Nick Fury tease at the end. Im pretty sure it also came out at a time when there weren't any other really big competitors in the theaters. The Batman franchise on the other hand was well established but this was a bad thing for it. It was still suffering from the TERRIBLE Batman and Robin, and Im sure less people saw it because of their experience with the last film. Batman also opened with some strong competition in the theaters. And to be honest Iron Man simply had a better trailer than Batman Begins.

#28 Posted by The Stegman (22766 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deranged Midget:  

@k4tzm4n said:

@sethysquare: If "everyone knows and loves Batman" is the primary reason, then why wasn't Batman Begins the hit it deserved to be? Only made $48,745,440 opening weekend. Iron Man, a character singificantly less popular than Wayne, pulled in $98,618,668 its first weekend.

That said, call me crazy but I actually like Batman Begins more than The Dark Knight.

THANK GOD. I thought I was the only one... 

I actually like them both equally, for completely different reasons.
#29 Posted by k4tzm4n (36126 posts) - - Show Bio

@noj: My objective here was never to compare/contrast quality/content of the films, how they were promoted, or any other factors... only to point out to the user on the other page that "Batman will earn more than Avengers because he's Batman" isn't a solid reason at all.

Staff Online
#30 Posted by nickzambuto (12679 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

My reasons for not liking batman is largely personal and that I do prefer other dc heroes over him because he is just way too popular. But I still enjoy his comics and movies and animated moviess and shows.

@nickzambuto:

I'll be honest... I used to hate Batman to for that exact same reason.

But then, one day, I realized how awesome he was and I'm a much better person now.

#31 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio
Because they were burned from all the bad batman movies before that. Once they saw how good batman begins was, everyone went crazy about it. Also Ironman has what only 1 ongoing selling 30k? he is not a huge comic book hero and no one cares abt him.

@k4tzm4n:

#32 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio
It totally is. Because not only is he a household name his sequel is the best selling comicbook movie of all time and one of the most critically acclaimed. As of such almost all of those that went to watch TDK would watch the ending plus everyone else that knows batman would watch it as well. Also you seem to forget he got 2 top selling batman games and even more batman games around, Arkham city sold like what 5 million copies for its release?

@k4tzm4n:

#33 Posted by k4tzm4n (36126 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare: I'm not talking about comics and frankly, it holds no relevance here. The huge majority of people seeing these films don't read the comics.

As for the bad taste of Batman & Robin, that was in 1997. Batman Begins was 8 years later and clearly a brand new start for the character.

Staff Online
#34 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio
So you're saying the ga-zilion people that watched dark knight wont come back and watch the ending to the trilogy? and so what if its 8 years, it was constantly airing on tv and 8 years is not that long apart.

@k4tzm4n:

#35 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

So you're saying the ga-zilion people that watched dark knight wont come back and watch the ending to the trilogy? and so what if its 8 years, it was constantly airing on tv and 8 years is not that long apart.

@k4tzm4n:

Gazillion isn't a number. :P

#36 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio
And come on. Catwoman, Bane, Ra's and possibly Talia in the show, the ensemble cast of villains is enough to make all the fanboys cum their loads in their pants. Plus theres Anne Hathaway who is an amazing actress, Liam Neeson and the Levitt Joseph guy. All great actors and huge names.
#37 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio
:p okay the millions of people. besides, avengers is such a stupid concept. No one really cares abt the avengers, they're only watching it cos of the actors involved. Xmen is a much better film, first class totally was much better than avengers.

@k4tzm4n: @TheGreyOutcastX:

#38 Posted by k4tzm4n (36126 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

@k4tzm4n:

I'd love to see where I said that, because I didn't. Saying I don't believe TDKR will make as much as The Avengers isn't an insult. Avengers made a monumental amount of money in its opening weekend (ranked #1 for all time box office opening weekends), and I'm sure TDKR will make a jaw-dropping figure as well. I just don't believe it'll make the same amount as the Avengers. I'm not going to elaborate further because it would just be repeating myself. You've obviously read my blog where I elaborate on this, seeing as you took a quote from someone in that thread. And if you didn't read the OP, then please do so, because that's where all of my primary points are.

@sethysquare said:

Plus theres Anne Hathaway who is an amazing actress

She's the part most fanboys seem to hate. Me? I'm not judging yet and I'll wait to see, but a lot have been disappointed with her being cast as Catwoman.

Staff Online
#39 Edited by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

:p okay the millions of people. besides, avengers is such a stupid concept. No one really cares abt the avengers, they're only watching it cos of the actors involved. Xmen is a much better film, first class totally was much better than avengers.

@k4tzm4n: @TheGreyOutcastX:

Hugh Jackman aka Wolverine defeats your argument. That's why people went to see the X-Men movies: him. Hell, he is FOX's franchise in a nutshell, and why he had to have at least a cameo in First Class. At least Avengers capitalized on that by hiring the right stars who could capture the essence of the characters while making it their own like Robert Downey Jr did with Tony Stark. First Class was crap compared to the Avengers. So much continuity destroyed cause they couldn't decide is this a reboot or a prequel.

#40 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio
Yes, opening week. But its not the final amount yet. It might reach over billion tying it with batman but not until we see tdkr results. Im sure tdkr will sell more largely cos its the finale to the trilogy. Just like how the transformers made billions for the finale. Also yeah, fanboys are upset with the costume but it'll attract the regular movie goers cos theyre sold on the realism.

@k4tzm4n said:

@sethysquare said:

@k4tzm4n:

I'd love to see where I said that, because I didn't. Saying I don't believe TDKR will make as much as The Avengers isn't an insult. Avengers made a monumental amount of money in its opening weekend (ranked #1 for all time box office opening weekends), and I'm sure TDKR will make a jaw-dropping figure as well. I just don't believe it'll make the same amount as the Avengers. I'm not going to elaborate further because it would just be repeating myself. You've obviously read my blog where I elaborate on this, seeing as you took a quote from someone in that thread. And if you didn't read the OP, then please do so, because that's where all of my primary points are.

@sethysquare said:

Plus theres Anne Hathaway who is an amazing actress

She's the part most fanboys seem to hate. Me? I'm not judging yet and I'll wait to see, but a lot have been disappointed with her being cast as Catwoman.

#41 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio
Not really. First class had jennifer lawrance and would probably sell even more for its sequel due to her. Plus xmen has always been a much cooler team than avengers. Sure they hired right actors for avengers, sure, they'll make lots but thats the same thing with batman as well in addition batman is a much bigger name than avengers

@TheGreyOutcastX:

#42 Posted by k4tzm4n (36126 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare: It's not just the costume, a lot of fans seem to just not like her as an actress. Personally, I have nothing against Hathaway and I'll give her the benefit of the doubt.

Staff Online
#43 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio
Bullshit. Everything started when people saw the costume. She is a great actress, hasnt she won like tons of oscars and what not.

@k4tzm4n:

#44 Edited by k4tzm4n (36126 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare: Your opinion of her doesn't change how other fans feel. Plenty of people were criticizing the casting choice well before we got a better look at the costume.

Also, it might help to keep in mind that this is supposed to be an all-ages so site. So you might want to censor yourself ;)

Staff Online
#45 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

Not really. First class had jennifer lawrance and would probably sell even more for its sequel due to her. Plus xmen has always been a much cooler team than avengers. Sure they hired right actors for avengers, sure, they'll make lots but thats the same thing with batman as well in addition batman is a much bigger name than avengers

@TheGreyOutcastX:

Yes, really. Hence why he's the only X-Man getting solo movies. He's the franchise. Been that way since 2000.

Jennifer Lawrence only just got popularity cause of hunger games. That's just an assumption, we don't know what's what for the sequel.

What's bolded is your personal opinion. Comic wise, I agree. Movie wise, Avengers was better handled.

I never said TDKR wouldn't be big. I'm sure it will make a ton of money. Will it be great? That reminds to be seen.

Remember the Avengers and TDKR are two different beasts.

#46 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio
I doubt it. It was only after the costume. Everyone loves Anne Hathaway. Also, if the mods think that my language is improper im sure they will delete it. Oh and people were bitching about casting choice for chris evans and scarlett johanssan as well. But Avengers still did alright.

@k4tzm4n:

#47 Posted by k4tzm4n (36126 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheGreyOutcastX: Man, I loved X-Men Origins: First Class, but I think Marvel's The Avengers is definitely a more enjoyable film.

Staff Online
#48 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

@TheGreyOutcastX: Man, I loved X-Men Origins: First Class, but I think Marvel's The Avengers is definitely a more enjoyable film.

I liked First Class up to the point It made me think where the hell it fits in the X-Movie verse. X-Origins: Wolverine made me do the same thing. Still can't place either movie hence it kinda ruined it for me. Don't have that problem with Avengers verse. But that's also the difference of Marvel Studios versus Fox.

#49 Posted by k4tzm4n (36126 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare: If you want to think I'm crazy and people only started complaining when we got to see images of Catwoman, then sure. I can live with that. But, I was active in many conversations that prove otherwise.

Not sure how that matters at all. I'm merely pointing out that you said Anne Hathaway is a positive film, but the fan community has largely responded in an opposite manner. Does that mean she'll be terrible? Absolutely not. People assumed the same for Heath Ledger, so we'll just have to wait and see. Regardless, I don't think her role is going to make or break the film.

Staff Online
#50 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio
Its true that it is my personal opinion. But im sure many comic fans agree with me. The reason why wolverine is getting a movie is because he is popular amongst comic fans and general public. One reason why wolverine is the only one of the 3 xmen able to support an ongoing. The other 2 being cable and deadpool. Which is also why deadpool movie is in the works.

@TheGreyOutcastX:

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.