Why doesn't Batman learn some magic?

• 60 results
#1 Posted by RATZGobbler (180 posts) - - Show Bio

Gotham is a big city full of surprising criminals so there must be some crazy cultists underground with super-natural methods, and therefore Batman should incorporate mysticism into his arsenal. At least a batarang with inscriptions to reverse spells and such. I've never seen Batman, Bruce or Dick, throw a little hocus pocus. What do you think?

#2 Posted by Aronmorales (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

That actually sounds pretty smart.

#4 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

geez arent the hundred plus fighting styles, anything he can imagine being in his utility belt, and the crazy vehicles enough????

#5 Posted by ComicCrazy (1537 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman is too good a character to just be ruined by using magic he absolutely does not need it !

#6 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio
ComicCrazy said:
" Batman is too good a character to just be ruined by using magic he absolutely does not need it ! "
yeah i agree magic is just a poor excuse for powers or an explanation of some ones powers for the most part
#7 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

cough* overpowered *cough*

#8 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

#9 Posted by m0ntyb0y (1244 posts) - - Show Bio

no natural affinity for magic?

#10 Posted by SUNMAN (7141 posts) - - Show Bio

if he learned magic it would completely turn me off of the character

#11 Posted by Dragonet (70 posts) - - Show Bio

Bat-factor is enough

#12 Edited by Psychotime (623 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it'd be a bit of a stretch. I've heard that he knows some magic thanks to his allies and has used it here and there (mostly in crossovers), but in my opinion it's awkward seeing a character like Batman use it.

The point of Batman is that he's the best of the best, but is nothing beyond a normal human. He got there from hard work and determination (and money). Having him use magic would break that in my opinion.

#13 Posted by loveNwar (435 posts) - - Show Bio

That's just like Hulk using a gun. Hulk doesn't use a gun, Hulk smash!! The same with Batman, he's just not that sort of character. Each hero has its own appeal and at this point a certain culture is already created around batman, it doesn't run on stories about magic.
Why doesn't Tarzan use magic? he lives in the jungle, in the middle of tribes that worship gods. Could make sense. But again, that's not him....

#14 Posted by dondasch (926 posts) - - Show Bio

Magic would be in complete disharmony with Batman's style.  He simply doesn't need it.  He has achieved his current level through hard work, strong will and his inner demons.  The closest I have seen Batman come close to incorporating "magic" is when he has used enth metal when battling Gentleman Ghost in Batman: Brave and the Bold

#15 Posted by RATZGobbler (180 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman's purpose in life is to stop injustice by any means necessary, with moral  boundaries of course, right? So why wouldn't a few runes and a spell or two be handy tools against the occult based criminals of gotham. I don't think knowledge of the ancient arts should really be counted as a super-human ability. I bet I'm not going to convince a lot of you that this is a good idea so I'll compromise and suggest magical equipment for the oncoming future. Then again I could just go out and right my own Batman comic where he does have knowledge of the mystic arts and giant, fire-breathing, bat for a sidekick as well and then we'll see who's got something to complain about.

#16 Posted by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio
batman has used a little magic here and their but he has said it himself he doesnt trust it that it is to unreliable.
#17 Posted by Calvin (3479 posts) - - Show Bio
@RATZGobbler: Batman does not believe in magic. He says nothing would be a secret for ever. In his mind "magic" does not really exists, magic is a name, a perception we have for powers and phenomenons we can't explain. Yet. - I'm actully with Bruce man on this one. There's no Magic at all, on and off comics.
#18 Edited by RATZGobbler (180 posts) - - Show Bio

Ah, I forgot about his intense cynicism towards magic and the fact that it's non-existent. Thanks for clearing that up but I just wanted to bring forth a strategy the Dark Knight might want to consider more often. So he has used magic in the past but couldn't trust it, I should've guessed. I'm still planning on that fire-breathing bat sidekick and now I'm changing the subject. Batman should have a full on face mask with voice changer. And continue on from there.

#19 Posted by captain chuck (7 posts) - - Show Bio

no the voince changer would ruin the carachter he needs be scary by himself and not use technology.
#20 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (262 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman is more spiritual than magical. I think it's a fine line to walk with the character, to have him aware of but not intensely involved with that side of the DC Universe. 

His brief appearance in Sandman or stories like Batman: The Chalice do a really good job with that, and are worthwhile reads to understand that side of the Dark Knight.

#21 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman should have some magic stuff like magic batarang that can cut through anything.This will give him an edge over unsuspecting powerhouses.This isn't anything too extreme like batman learning to cast fire.

#22 Posted by Madame_Mist (1325 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he's Batman.

#23 Posted by CrimsonCake (2668 posts) - - Show Bio

If it's only temporary.

#24 Edited by JonSmith (3988 posts) - - Show Bio

@loveNwar said:

That's just like Hulk using a gun. Hulk doesn't use a gun, Hulk smash!!

Sure about that, are you?

On topic, Batman already is an accomplished sorcerer and frequently uses spells. He just uses a special kind of magic that is exclusive to him. We call it 'Batfactor'.

#25 Posted by gats_botl (78 posts) - - Show Bio

batman and magic in the same sentence how dare you!!! batman is a human with money and intelligence. why would he need magic. he is not a marvel character

#26 Posted by gats_botl (78 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith said:

@loveNwar said:

That's just like Hulk using a gun. Hulk doesn't use a gun, Hulk smash!!

Sure about that, are you?

On topic, Batman already is an accomplished sorcerer and frequently uses spells. He just uses a special kind of magic that is exclusive to him. We call it 'Batfactor'.

your argument is invalid. that is RULK :P

#27 Edited by JonSmith (3988 posts) - - Show Bio

@gats_botl: Rulk. Red. Hulk. He never specified WHICH Hulk he was talking about. So many pesky gamma irradiated super beings running around. So easy to get them mixed up. Color coding just isn't what it used to be, I'm afraid.

#28 Posted by Bobsjonjon (223 posts) - - Show Bio

Ha! He said magic

#29 Posted by KraytRawk (628 posts) - - Show Bio

hes has learned some. While Dick Grayson was batman and Two face teleported into the batcave, he mentioned that he could never do it previously, because before there had been magical barriers preventing such things..

#30 Posted by KraytRawk (628 posts) - - Show Bio

however, i know that doesnt mean he knows it as the same way as Zatanna and Dr. Fate..

#31 Posted by DTFB (191 posts) - - Show Bio

then we will call him BatHoudini.lol I think a Deus Ex type of Bat would be cool tho.

#32 Posted by Alexander505 (2144 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember that Batman has his Batcave supernatural barriers, in this way is also protected from the intrusion of sorcerers and magicians.

#33 Posted by Muffin_Sangria (503 posts) - - Show Bio

I was thinking about it and I think Batman is already magic. One of the most basic philosophies of magic is the idea of imposing one's will on reality, and can you really think of a better description of Batman? He doesn't have any powers but somehow he can beat any other hero out there. As I see it Batman is so stubborn that he ending up imposing his will on reality and wins just because he's Batman.

#34 Posted by TekTheNinja (766 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx said:

#35 Posted by dagmar_merrill (6488 posts) - - Show Bio

@lovenwar said:

That's just like Hulk using a gun. Hulk doesn't use a gun, Hulk smash!! The same with Batman, he's just not that sort of character. Each hero has its own appeal and at this point a certain culture is already created around batman, it doesn't run on stories about magic.

Why doesn't Tarzan use magic? he lives in the jungle, in the middle of tribes that worship gods. Could make sense. But again, that's not him....

This.

#36 Posted by TekTheNinja (766 posts) - - Show Bio

@lovenwar said:

This.

this too, lol.

#37 Edited by THEOCITYLEGEND (1158 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a combination of the fact that he lifts too much, and he doesn't trust magic.

@nerx said:

and maybe this.

Oh and magic is not part of the whole Batman gimmick. Like Batman does have many extremely strong power suits, but if he constantly used them he would not be Batman anymore, he would be f@*cking Iron Man. It's the same thing with magic, it's not part of his character. Now some people may argue that it would make sense for the greatest DC tactition to learn some magic, but comic books don't make sense nor are they supposed to, magic would totaly clash with Batman.

But if writers did want him to learn some it could be easily written, he is close friends with Zatanna after all.

#38 Posted by KingRobbStark (165 posts) - - Show Bio

That goes to show you how strong Batman is. By learning magic he would be the de facto god of the DCU. That being said, the Batman stories would be really boring if he learned magic. I would also like to point that Batman is very familiar with magic, but does not practice it.

#39 Posted by ImagineMan16 (466 posts) - - Show Bio

I was thinking about it and I think Batman is already magic. One of the most basic philosophies of magic is the idea of imposing one's will on reality, and can you really think of a better description of Batman? He doesn't have any powers but somehow he can beat any other hero out there. As I see it Batman is so stubborn that he ending up imposing his will on reality and wins just because he's Batman.

Reading that sentence caused my soul to vomit blood.

#40 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (9503 posts) - - Show Bio

He know, time to see his magic.

Thats his magic, he is going to have every single woman on comics, even lesbians.

#41 Edited by PowerHerc (81468 posts) - - Show Bio

Though I think it would ruin the character, I can rationally understand why it would be logical for Batman to study the mystic arts.

#42 Posted by consolemaster001 (4937 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't zatanna once teach him ?

#43 Posted by RustyRoy (10826 posts) - - Show Bio

Considering he prepares for every situation and tries to gain as much knowledge as he can about everything it makes sense for him to study Magic (and probably try to understand it in a logical way). He has to have some basic knowledge about magic to at least take some kind of precautions against it. Maybe Zatanna can teach him.

#44 Posted by Dreadpool10 (634 posts) - - Show Bio

• Mystical Blasts
  • Mystical Force-fields
  • Invoke Entities
  • Spell Casting
  • Summoning
  • Teleportation
  • Dimensional Travel
  • Mystical Ensnaring
  • Mystical Portals
#45 Posted by RustyRoy (10826 posts) - - Show Bio

• Mystical Blasts
  • Mystical Force-fields
  • Invoke Entities
  • Spell Casting
  • Summoning
  • Teleportation
  • Dimensional Travel
  • Mystical Ensnaring
  • Mystical Portals

Wow if Batman was unbeatable before than what does this make him now?

#46 Posted by MasterDetective (797 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx said:

#47 Posted by addikhabbo (140 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman with Magic is pretty freaking awesome. Leveling Superman isn't quite as good though. But if Batman, the world's greatest cynicist learns magic, what's stopping those who believe in miracles from catching up? The whole superpowered world in general would be filled with Magicians instead of Metahumans, I see no difference.

In a sense, Batman is the living embodiment of magic. Facing off against Darksied and living to tell the tale isn't quite what a normal muggle can brag about, but Batman isn't just a muggle now is he?

Batman=Magic.

#48 Posted by MatteoPG (1921 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman has used some magic, minor stuff to protect himself, if I'm not mistaken. But if you think about it he doesn't have the right mindset. It requires a lot of faith and playing with chance, also it's too unreliable. I think it fits his character to not learn magic.

#49 Posted by BlackWind (5473 posts) - - Show Bio
#50 Edited by Nathaniel_Christopher (1555 posts) - - Show Bio

It's akin to asking why he doesn't use the tech he collects from his various enemies after he defeats them. It's simply not his style.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.