Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23649 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Why doesn't Superman just deal with other heroes' problems

• 64 results
    ChrRome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

My friend considers the DC Universe flawed because Superman exists in the same Universe as Batman and could therefore theoretically instantly solve any conflict that Batman has to deal with (i.e. Leviathan).

How can I convince him that this is hardly a reason to dismiss all DC comics?

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By fodigg

Repeat the motto: "It's just a story; I should really just relax."

The question is not "does Batman in a world of Supermen make sense?" the question is "is Batman entertaining?"

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By sinestro_GL

@chrrome: Out of curiousity, does your friend read comics? I suspect not.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RustyRoy

Because he's busy with his own problems, no one has much free time in comic books and Superman needs a break too. Btw this should be in Superman forum.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clark has his own problems

ChrRome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ChrRome

Well I put it in this forum because my friend and I were having a Batman discussion, but I suppose this applies to most DC heroes. I have tried telling him that maybe Superman is busy (although he should probably make time for world ending situations), and that he could just try to enjoy the self contained stories without worrying about it.

Also, no he does not read comics.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman despite his power can't always deal with Batman's problems.

Zijuun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Zijuun

@chrrome said:

Well I put it in this forum because my friend and I were having a Batman discussion, but I suppose this applies to most DC heroes. I have tried telling him that maybe Superman is busy (although he should probably make time for world ending situations), and that he could just try to enjoy the self contained stories without worrying about it.

Also, no he does not read comics.

I completely get where you're coming from with this. It's just a flaw that DC fanboys live with, something I can't do.

Z I J U U N

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By acer51

This kind of immersion breaking happens when your characters can do this....

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The joker and riddler would drive superman insane lol

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read Mark Waids Irredeemable from BOOM Studios and you'll see why. [×]

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12 the_stegman  Moderator

1. He has his own problems

2. He respects the other heroes and their work to just butt in like that

3. Imagine how pissed Batman would be if Superman solved all the crime in Gotham.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was addressed in Superman/Batman: Superman and Batman switch cities for a day and Superman admits there is too much crime for even himself to solve, but once Batman gets his powers, he makes a greater difference than even Superman did but becomes too obsessed and needs to be stopped.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

Cause with all his powers he's mentally weak even though his mind works fast he doesn't think as well as Bruce.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Because Superman has about a million other problems to deal with. I don't see why it matters

ChrRome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't necessarily mean he would deal with the problems that lie with Gotham City. It was more in reference to potential world changing events like Leviathan in Batman Incorporated.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

because it's a comic book and if Superman solved all of the problems then DC couldn't sell Batman stories...that's why...none of the stuff people said above

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think superman would do a proper job in Gotham. He'd jail them and they'd get out and do it again because they know that he won't kill them. A lot of criminals don't even fear superman because he's so nice.

But then again they break out after batman jails them, and they know that he doesn't kill either. But the difference is that batman installs fear into them and makes them fear the night itself.

In no man's land superman came to help and got some electricity back to the city, but it didnt go as he planned and he realized that he doesn't understand how gotham's criminals worked and left.

Avatar image for wishiwassuperman
    WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@jayc1324 said:

I don't think superman would do a proper job in Gotham. He'd jail them and they'd get out and do it again because they know that he won't kill them. A lot of criminals don't even fear superman because he's so nice.

But then again they break out after batman jails them, and they know that he doesn't kill either. But the difference is that batman installs fear into them and makes them fear the night itself.

You know that makes no sense right? If they're afraid why the hell are they still criminals? The whole "fear the night" thing only applies to petty thieves and nobody henchmen characters. Hardly the villains like Joker, Penguin, Riddler, Scarecrow, Bane, etc... In reality within the stories, Batman is no more effective than any other superhero - because the villains get to live and keep breaking out of jail/Arkham, and do it all again. I'm not saying he should kill, but I mean come on... Batman's so good at what he does and "instilling fear" Gotham has the highest crime rate of any city anywhere ever. They have so many criminals they managed to turn half the city into a prison.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@zijuun: You could also ask why Thor or Hulk don't just handle all the Marvel U's problems, the answer is not everything can be like DBZ where the mostly useless cast gets slapped around until one of the 3 or 4 people that actually can compete with the god like beast that's doing said slapping to show up.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clark has his own problems

Clark can hear any sound on Earth wherevere it is. He can hear Joker laughs in Gotham while eating his cereal in Smallville. He's faster than light which means he can clear Gotham in less than a minute considering some of Gothamites will be a little dificult to beat. One question that is bothering me is, why didn't Bruce put Damian into Justice League Watchtower instead of Batcave when Talia attacked with Leviathan lol. If my son was being attacked by every assassin on Earth, I'd call every available Superhero and place Damian in Fortress of Solitude or Watchtower, comic books are messed up man.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
    deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. It would make shit comics.

2. Often times I noticed Batmans problems with villains haven't really been a physical one. For example the Joker, Batmans problem with Joker has never been his ability to beat him in hand to hand combat, it has been figuring out where Joker plans to strike next in order to prevent loss of life.

As for Leviathan, what good is all that strength if he can't figure out what exactly Leviathan is, where they are located, what their goals are, and how and when they are to be executed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wishiwassuperman: Actually most of his villians are afraid of him, and they are more scared of him than they are of superman. Scarecrow stated that the only thing he fears is batman. They aren't gonna stop being criminals because its a comic book, but batman instills more fear in gotham than superman can.

Like batman has said before, it's his city, he's the only one fit to protect it.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman has his own dilemmas to pay attention to. Your friends needs to read more comics.

Avatar image for wishiwassuperman
    WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@jayc1324 said:

@wishiwassuperman: Actually most of his villians are afraid of him, and they are more scared of him than they are of superman. Scarecrow stated that the only thing he fears is batman. They aren't gonna stop being criminals because its a comic book, but batman instills more fear in gotham than superman can.

Like batman has said before, it's his city, he's the only one fit to protect it.

I think you missed my point - instilling fear isn't accomplishing anything. It's a pointless goal to have. It doesn't stop crime or deter it in any way, the villains keep coming back to do whatever it is they wanna do, and Batman is constantly portrayed to be fighting a battle he can't win.... thus I give you...

Loading Video...

Someone else said it would make boring comics - that is the only reason they don't do it as it's actually the perfectly logical reason.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

Red Son Superman would scare the s**t out of the worst Gotham has to offer.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He doesn't deal with other heroes' problems because it's not in his character to do so. What I mean by that is Clark has his own life to live. While he could potentially become a god on Earth, he chooses to live a pretty average lifestyle by working as a reporter and pursuing a relationship with those such as Lois Lane. On his free time, he hangs out with colleagues and helps with the farm work for his mother. Developing relationships with the people of Metropolis, with his parents, and with the Justice League takes a lot of time and effort even for a hero like Superman.

When Batman found himself with Kryptonian powers, he essentially wiped out crime across the globe. He never stopped to eat, drink, talk, sleep, or anything else that human beings do. He had a complete disregard for government and Justice League authorities. Bruce eventually developed an extreme approach to countering crime and terrorism, and that led to him fighting old friends such as Nightwing and Wonder Woman. If you really want to know what it would be like to have a Superman who worked 24/7 without any breaks, then this is a really good preview. I believe the arc is Superman/Batman #53-56.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

In no man's land superman came to help and got some electricity back to the city, but it didnt go as he planned and he realized that he doesn't understand how gotham's criminals worked and left.

but why are they afraid of him, they wont be killed. they just take the beating.

TheMGR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because he's to busy banging lois

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: I don't know that's just how writers write him. He's batman, he's just a scary guy. Scarecrow fears him because he always overcomes his fear has and kicks his butt for example. But this is kinda off topic.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RustyRoy

You know that makes no sense right? If they're afraid why the hell are they still criminals? The whole "fear the night" thing only applies to petty thieves and nobody henchmen characters. Hardly the villains like Joker, Penguin, Riddler, Scarecrow, Bane, etc... In reality within the stories, Batman is no more effective than any other superhero - because the villains get to live and keep breaking out of jail/Arkham, and do it all again. I'm not saying he should kill, but I mean come on... Batman's so good at what he does and "instilling fear" Gotham has the highest crime rate of any city anywhere ever. They have so many criminals they managed to turn half the city into a prison.

The crime rate was already high in Gotham when Bruce became Batman, I don't think Metropolis had Supervillains running around the city before Superman came.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chrrome:

There is actually a Superman/Batman story where Batman gets Superman's powers and does just that. He does around trying to abolish crime across the entire world or something. I wish i could tell you the arc or the issue but it was Pre New 52. If you can find out which one it is i would point him to it as to why one hero capable of solving all problems doesnt.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

Different villains require different heroes.

Superman is the greatest hero in DC, and he's an exemplar of truth and justice.

But he's not psychologically equipped to deal with Gotham's villains. He's better off taking on demi-gods and aliens, not the darkest recesses of humanity. He wanted to kill Manchester Black over Black killing prisoners, imagine how he'd feel after seeing the Mad Hatter molest a child, or Joker blowing up a school bus.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:

@jayc1324 said:

but why are they afraid of him, they wont be killed. they just take the beating.

To be fair nobody really wants to take a beating, aside from masochists.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:

@jayc1324 said:

They are psychologically compelled to continue to act in a way that they know will result in Batman coming after them, and so the only thing they have to live for is the unlikely chance of success. Which will never come, because Batman always beats them.

Batman isn't frightening to a guy like Scarecrow because he'll punch him, he's terrifying because no matter what the Scarecrow does his life will never amount to more than being bested by Batman.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: In the Arkham Asylum graphic novel, Mad Hatter is a pedophile.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

Why Kyle Rayner doesnt bring Damian Wayne to life with his white ring ? Why Wonder Woman doesnt ask to any magical hero or Hera to turn back the amazons to normal? Because that would be too easy to do and wouldn´t have moments like this to have characters deveploments.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

@theacidskull:

How mean like Toyman is pedofile on comics and Lex Luthor is sociopath that want ultimate power to prove that he better than superman and ploting against humanity.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:

@jayc1324 said:

To be fair nobody really wants to take a beating, aside from masochists.

yeah but superman does punch people too. thats the thing...he's just more respectful about it lol

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By joshmightbe

@w0nd: Also the fact that human villains aren't terrified of Superman on at least some basic animal instinct alone is possibly the least realistic thing about comics as a whole. Lets face it in the real world Superman would scare the living s**t out of everyone simply by existing.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@theacidskull: In the Arkham Asylum graphic novel, Mad Hatter is a pedophile.

wow, that's dark.

He has a fetish for tea,hats and blond,little girls.After the Joker he most likely has the highest kill count in Gotham.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless he kills them it wont matter,they'll just escape from prison,and while Supes is too busy rounding them up Atomic Skull blows up Metropolis.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: Nah it's Hatter,he once had a room full of dead little girls.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis said:

@theacidskull: Nah it's Hatter,he once had a room full of dead little girls.

f*ck man. didn't know he was such a dark character o_O

He's also pretty powerful,mind control is his specialty.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.