Why Does Batman Not Use His Enemies' Tech/Weapons?

#1 Edited by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

Why does he not use (a weaker version of) Scarecrow's fear gas? It seems like it could be useful in his war on crime.

Why does he not use Mr. Freeze's cryogenic chemicals and gadgets?

Why does he not use Poison Ivy's plants to create immunities for himself or plant-based weaponry for combat?

Why does he not use Firefly's jetpack?

Why does he not base his vehicles on the vehicles that Gearhead drives?

Etc. Etc. Etc.?

Also, why does he not use his Bat-summoning device from Batman: Year One more often?

#2 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (11443 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he wants to fight crime in his own terms.

#3 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

My guess is the villains have copyrights and patents on their technology and weapons.

#4 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1682 posts) - - Show Bio

Simple pride i'd guess.

#5 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3562 posts) - - Show Bio

Doesn't need 'em.

#6 Edited by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kal'smahboi said:

Doesn't need 'em.

I don't know. I bet fear toxin would be useful against most enemies. It would be cool to see him use it on Superman.

And if Killer Croc is swimming through Gotham's sewers, ice pellets could be helpful.

And I imagine that a jetpack could help fight off Man-Bat.

#7 Posted by ComicStooge (13388 posts) - - Show Bio

@OutlawRenegade said:

@Kal'smahboi said:

Doesn't need 'em.

I don't know. I bet fear toxin would be useful against most enemies. It would be cool to see him use it on Superman.

I doubt it'd work on Superman.

#8 Posted by ImTheDamnBatman (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

Because it's a comicbook.

#9 Edited by Alexander505 (2165 posts) - - Show Bio
And if Killer Croc is swimming through Gotham's sewers, ice pellets could be helpful.

Yes, of course, but Batman can beat a metahuman (class 2/3 tons) like Croc with his bare hands, without help of gadgets

#10 Posted by The_Soverighn (1813 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells: batman not SAMSUNG

#11 Posted by Sovereign91001 (4677 posts) - - Show Bio

idk, we know he keeps samples of this stuff, he's made antitoxins for Joker venom and fear toxin. Maybe its locked up in evidence at GCPD. Actually that makes sense, when Batwoman started working for whatever agency shes with, Agent Chase outfitted her with pilffered villian tech including fear toxin. So most of it is probablly locked up as evidence or aquired by goverment agencies.

#12 Posted by Hazlenaut (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

did't he use Mr. Freeze's tech to make Batarangs that can freeze? In The Batman he copied Firefly's flight tech.

#13 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Because if Batman used half the tech he had access to, he'd be taking down most of Supes' rogues. 

#14 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

Sometimes he does, but it's usually situational. The revamped Green Arrow was supposed to make this more his thing, but that kinda petered out.

#15 Posted by TerrellV13 (74 posts) - - Show Bio

Pride most likely, but he does use Mr. Freeze's grenades/disruptor in Arkham City :D

#16 Posted by thephantomstranger (129 posts) - - Show Bio

@OutlawRenegade said:

Why does he not use (a weaker version of) Scarecrow's fear gas? It seems like it could be useful in his war on crime.

Which is more effective? the fear that is artificial and drug laced or the fear that feels as real as possible?

He kinda does sometimes. Arkham City and that one episode of Justice League are good examples.

Why does he not use Poison Ivy's plants to create immunities for himself or plant-based weaponry for combat?

He likely does study the plant stuff for immunities but plant weapons might mess with his aesthetic.

In 70 years has the character not used a jetpack?

Don't know that character.

Etc. Etc. Etc.?

Also, why does he not use his Bat-summoning device from Batman: Year One more often?

Because Batman is a swell guy and doesn't want to collapse the medical industry on a bat bite bubble.

Also a lot of these things while not "technically" supernatural/super is such a stretch technology or aesthetic wise that it wouldn't serve the character very well to say that he's only human and then spring a giant magical venus fly trap that shoots ice from its mouth.

Not to say that Batman shouldn't interact with that stuff just not become it.

#17 Posted by Teerack (7069 posts) - - Show Bio

He does.

#18 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

If he needs to yes, or use them to win "cheat" he will...

#19 Posted by Skewer (325 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually he does! He had a plan to take down aquaman by using a synthesised version of the scarecrows fear gas. He would rarely resort to using those weapons considering how lethal or unpredictable they are. He would only use it as a last resort.

#20 Posted by BigCimmerian (8583 posts) - - Show Bio

@OutlawRenegade said:

Etc. Etc. Etc.?

You should read more comics, he's already using cryo pellets and bombs, he has plenty of suits with flight capabilities so he doesn't need Firefly's jetpack etc etc.

#21 Posted by tupiaz (2227 posts) - - Show Bio

@ComicStooge said:

@OutlawRenegade said:

@Kal'smahboi said:

Doesn't need 'em.

Why not? Why should Superman be immune towards fear gas? There is a difference between being physical invincible and mentally invincible.

#22 Posted by Batman242 (4862 posts) - - Show Bio

@OutlawRenegade: Well in the comics, which is the Tower of Babel arc, he had plans to immobilize Aquaman with Scarecrow's fear toxin to make him afraid of water.

In Arkham City, he used Freeze's freeze grenades, and I'm almost positive he did in the comics too.

#23 Edited by ComicStooge (13388 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz: He has superhuman resistance to chemicals.

#24 Posted by BatWatch (2812 posts) - - Show Bio

Why did you post that extremely annoying video?

Batman does use others tools when needed. The real question is why doesn't he use them all the time.

There are a lot of answers for that, but I think the main one is that it would be too much equipment and would bog him down for his day to day operations, so he stores some in the car, some in bunkers, and a lot in the cave and pulls it out when needed.

#25 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

agreed

#26 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3562 posts) - - Show Bio
@tupiaz said:

@ComicStooge said:

@OutlawRenegade said:

@Kal'smahboi said:

Doesn't need 'em.

Why not? Why should Superman be immune towards fear gas? There is a difference between being physical invincible and mentally invincible.

Right, but a fear gas uses some chemical compound that affects neurotransmitters or blood makeup or something or other. Superman has a fundamentally different chemical and biological makeup, and therefore probably will be affected differently, or not at all.
#27 Posted by DarkKnight1939 (148 posts) - - Show Bio

Sometimes he does. Most of the villains technology is too lethal to be used, and may not be able to create weaker versions. Batman usually has an equivalent or an anti-gadget to his villains gadgets also.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.