Why does Batman Get all the Attention?

#1 Posted by flameboy298 (1917 posts) - - Show Bio

I mean over the years I feel like Batman's been the only character who's had all the focus,when it comes to Games,movies,Animation movies.I mean Superman is well known aswell but he hasn't had as much as love as Batman regarding the games,movies(Yes their was Man of steel) but He really hasn't had much.All im saying is why does Batman get so much focus while the other iconic Heroes are left out?Just curious

#2 Posted by Black_Arrow (3997 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6366 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6366 posts) - - Show Bio

But as I wrote in the clone thread of this which shouldn't exist, Batman is their most popular character.

#5 Posted by lifeofvibe (3514 posts) - - Show Bio

@flameboy298: more attention to the popular character equals more money

#6 Posted by flazam (2533 posts) - - Show Bio

Thats a Risky Thread to make

#7 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (35176 posts) - - Show Bio

@lifeofvibe said:

@flameboy298: more attention to the popular character equals more money

Increasing the popularity of other characters also means more money

#8 Edited by sinestro_GL (3323 posts) - - Show Bio

I imagine that this goes on at DC whenever a new Batman idea is proposed:

#9 Edited by flashrobin (168 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: Because Batman and not to mention Superman are their only cash cows.

#10 Edited by Breadspread (774 posts) - - Show Bio

I also wrote in the clone thread that should not exist.

Like previously stated, he makes money. The risk factor is pretty low with Batman, even if a Batman licensed property sucks it'll probably still make money.

I thought they did a good job of using Batman's popularity to expose other characters with shows like Brave and the Bold, Justice League, and even games like Lego Batman 2. Now with Man of Steel doing well maybe Superman's popularity can be used in a similar way.

I can't help but think that if the Catwoman movie was done well instead of the price of crap it was, they would have made a sequel and possibly even haven taken a risk with other spin-off movies, like Nightwing, Batgirl, and GCPD. Thanks for nothing Pitof, Halle Berry, John Brancato, Michael Ferris, John Ro..... Forget it, this list would be way too long.

#11 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6522 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by batshrine (1001 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like to add that Batman is a much more relatable character compared to DC's other properties. So therefore it is easier to make many stories about him. With Superman the only interesting plot line really is him struggling with his humanity (which can be very complex, but writers seem to struggle with that). But lets not forget injustice just came out, the most recent dtv was a superman one, man of steel just came out, superman line in comics did grow. the only reason for no cartoon is that they didnt want what happened with gltas and the movie making the show flop.

#13 Posted by MasterDetective (865 posts) - - Show Bio

because he has more fanboys

#16 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (12637 posts) - - Show Bio

He is rich and good looking!!!

#17 Posted by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

I imagine that this goes on at DC whenever a new Batman idea is proposed:

^ This guy knows what's up.

#18 Edited by Jayc1324 (13566 posts) - - Show Bio

He makes money and is a regular man who can get hurt and go through trouble and overcome things. He is much more relatable than anyone else and has much better stories. Also people love him and no matter te quality of it people will buy batman related stuff.

#19 Edited by THEOCITYLEGEND (1318 posts) - - Show Bio
@jonny_anonymous said:

@lifeofvibe said:

@flameboy298: more attention to the popular character equals more money

Increasing the popularity of other characters also means more money

Increase the popularity? What? You do realize that DC doesn't just pick heroes out of a hat and *say "lets make this guy popular." A character becomes popular on their own if they are interesting. Then once enough popularity is amassed through this the character gets more exposure as they will make enough money to warrant the costs put into exposing them more. This isn't some conspiracy where DC wants to screw other characters, other characters are just less interesting to people, therefore they will not make enough money to warrant additional exposure.

@black_arrow said:

@flameboy298: BECAUSE HE IS THE GODDAMN BATMAN

Well said

#20 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35176 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:

@lifeofvibe said:

@flameboy298: more attention to the popular character equals more money

Increasing the popularity of other characters also means more money

Increase the popularity? What? You do realize that DC doesn't just pick heroes out of a hat and *say "lets make this guy popular." A character becomes popular on their own if they are interesting. Then once enough popularity is amassed through this the character gets more exposure as they will make enough money to warrant the costs put into exposing them more. This isn't some conspiracy where DC wants to screw other characters, other characters are just less interesting to people, therefore they will not make enough money to warrant additional exposure.

@black_arrow said:

@flameboy298: BECAUSE HE IS THE GODDAMN BATMAN

Well said

Putting top writers and top artists on a book as well as having it play a central and "important" place in the greater DCU as well as giving it more advertisement and exposure = more popularity. Batman isn't any more interesting and any of the other "dark and moody detectives" that came before him, he just had a tv show that gave him more exposure

#21 Posted by THEOCITYLEGEND (1318 posts) - - Show Bio

@theocitylegend said:
@jonny_anonymous said:

@lifeofvibe said:

@flameboy298: more attention to the popular character equals more money

Increasing the popularity of other characters also means more money

Increase the popularity? What? You do realize that DC doesn't just pick heroes out of a hat and *say "lets make this guy popular." A character becomes popular on their own if they are interesting. Then once enough popularity is amassed through this the character gets more exposure as they will make enough money to warrant the costs put into exposing them more. This isn't some conspiracy where DC wants to screw other characters, other characters are just less interesting to people, therefore they will not make enough money to warrant additional exposure.

@black_arrow said:

@flameboy298: BECAUSE HE IS THE GODDAMN BATMAN

Well said

Putting top writers and top artists on a book as well as having it play a central and "important" place in the greater DCU as well as giving it more advertisement and exposure = more popularity. Batman isn't any more interesting and any of the other "dark and moody detectives" that came before him, he just had a tv show that gave him more exposure

So you're saying DC just decided to sit down and invest as much money as they could into an un-interesting character in an effort to make him popular? Sounds like a pretty bad and risky business decision to me.

#22 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (35176 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:

@theocitylegend said:
@jonny_anonymous said:

@lifeofvibe said:

@flameboy298: more attention to the popular character equals more money

Increasing the popularity of other characters also means more money

Increase the popularity? What? You do realize that DC doesn't just pick heroes out of a hat and *say "lets make this guy popular." A character becomes popular on their own if they are interesting. Then once enough popularity is amassed through this the character gets more exposure as they will make enough money to warrant the costs put into exposing them more. This isn't some conspiracy where DC wants to screw other characters, other characters are just less interesting to people, therefore they will not make enough money to warrant additional exposure.

@black_arrow said:

@flameboy298: BECAUSE HE IS THE GODDAMN BATMAN

Well said

Putting top writers and top artists on a book as well as having it play a central and "important" place in the greater DCU as well as giving it more advertisement and exposure = more popularity. Batman isn't any more interesting and any of the other "dark and moody detectives" that came before him, he just had a tv show that gave him more exposure

So you're saying DC just decided to sit down and invest as much money as they could into an un-interesting character in an effort to make him popular? Sounds like a pretty bad and risky business decision to me.

There is no such thing as an uninteresting character, only uninteresting writers.

#23 Posted by THEOCITYLEGEND (1318 posts) - - Show Bio

@theocitylegend said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@theocitylegend said:
@jonny_anonymous said:

@lifeofvibe said:

@flameboy298: more attention to the popular character equals more money

Increasing the popularity of other characters also means more money

Increase the popularity? What? You do realize that DC doesn't just pick heroes out of a hat and *say "lets make this guy popular." A character becomes popular on their own if they are interesting. Then once enough popularity is amassed through this the character gets more exposure as they will make enough money to warrant the costs put into exposing them more. This isn't some conspiracy where DC wants to screw other characters, other characters are just less interesting to people, therefore they will not make enough money to warrant additional exposure.

@black_arrow said:

@flameboy298: BECAUSE HE IS THE GODDAMN BATMAN

Well said

Putting top writers and top artists on a book as well as having it play a central and "important" place in the greater DCU as well as giving it more advertisement and exposure = more popularity. Batman isn't any more interesting and any of the other "dark and moody detectives" that came before him, he just had a tv show that gave him more exposure

So you're saying DC just decided to sit down and invest as much money as they could into an un-interesting character in an effort to make him popular? Sounds like a pretty bad and risky business decision to me.

There is no such thing as an uninteresting character, only uninteresting writers.

Not true. If the basic idea of a character is lame and boring a writer won't really have anything to work with. Putting money into a character or story does not at all guarantee their success and that they will catch on with readers.

#24 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35176 posts) - - Show Bio

@theocitylegend: If what YOU say is true then it would be impossible for Batman to have a bad story as the character it's sell is so intresting and well that's just not true

#25 Posted by Brcomicbookguy (22 posts) - - Show Bio

It's always a gamble when you give a character their own tv show, video game or movie. If it doesn't make money people can lose there jobs or have reputations destroyed. That's why people pick popular characters. If green lantern didn't bomb gl2 would be out by now. Superman returns also sucked that's why it took so long for a man of steel to come out.

#26 Edited by nickzambuto (15035 posts) - - Show Bio

Stop using the word "relatable". Batman is the farthest freakin' thing from relatable.

#27 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4899 posts) - - Show Bio

People love Batman... that's why.

( + )

#28 Posted by Wolverine08 (45714 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickzambuto: To you he isn't relatable, but that doesn't mean he isn't relatable to other people, like me.

#29 Posted by Knightfall225 (1998 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickzambuto: Batman can be relatable to people who lost both of their parents and want to help others........

so yes Batman can be relatable at times

#30 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2273 posts) - - Show Bio

The 1960s West show brought him to the mainstream and he's only been going up from there(well down once, because of Batman & Robin).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.