Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

why do people not like Tim Drake

• 122 results
    havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By havoc1201

it seems as though Tim Drake is the lease liked Robin/ bat member in the DC which is something i cant understand. I grew up with Tim in the Robin suite, and it was nice to see him become Red Robin in order to find Bruce it showed great growth and showed just how he can be as cold as batman. Does anyone else notice this dislike? or any opinions on Tim

serpent222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By serpent222

I don't know about pre-new 52, but I love Drake but hate his current portrayal. I've seen plenty of love for Drake around here, but people seem to kind of latch on to a particular robin.

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By havoc1201

i liked the pre52 better he had a much better background story i feel that this new52 weakens the character.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Squalleon

Because now he is a useless character, he is not Robin and there is no need for a second rate Nightwing.

I hated Drake since he became red robin his unhealthy obssesion with Bruce made me sick.

BUT that is only me he has lots of fans.

EDIT

And because this is exactly how i feel about Tim i will borrow(and with borrow i mean steal) the words of :

I still think Tim was mildly nuts. Deep down he could never expect Batman to go away, Ra's could drop a nuke on Bruce's dome and Tim will simply believe Batman's a ventriloquist and planned the entire event, boomtubed his way out of it or some such nonsense. Dick may be infatuated with Bruce but....Tim is obsessed with him, to the point where he almost sees him as a totem of worship. Big difference. When Superman broke the news to the batfamily Dick handled it in cool, collected fashion. Tim had a friggin meltdown and you instantly saw the difference in demeanor/maturity in those panels.

He probably loves Bruce more than he ever did his own father, the same can't be said for Grayson. I just can't support a character like that

BlackReaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BlackReaper

I actually recently started liking him since the crossover with Dick and Jason. I think it's because no one really got to getting to know him.

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By havoc1201

i like the other robins as well i feel they all have their roles but with this revamp it seems like lobl has it out for Tim, i mean even Jason Todd has a bigger role in the new52 and he was voted to death by fans.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By the_tree

I hate what they've done with him in The New 52, but I love the pre-Flashpoint version of the character.

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By havoc1201

he wasnt obsessed with bruce he was loyal and knew he was still alive even when his own son and oldest partner gave up. Tim kept searching for the man that trained him and later gave him a home and his last name.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By joshmightbe

I have no particular dislike for Tim

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Squalleon

@havoc1201: he was punishing himself by wearing a heavy cape and went to seclusion(Adventure Comics #3)

please read the edit i made in my previous comment

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By havoc1201

@Squalleon: i see what you are saying but you have to relieze that tim seeked out batman and convinced him that he needed a Robin and Dick had a completly different relationship with Bruce he was thrown into the mantle Tim seeked it. also at the end of Red robin pre 52 Ras' called tim detective showing that he one day could surpass Bruce, not in the new 52 but in the old ones.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Squalleon

@havoc1201: look i am talking personalities not skills Tim is one of the best detectives of the dcu but he was nuts pre-52

Also as a Robin Tim had a reason to exist as red robin he was useless

in the new 52 he has a reason being the leader of the titans but he is just a blank character

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By havoc1201

i agree with the new 52 comment i feel lobel ruined Tim .

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By SUNMAN

new 52 Tim Drake is boring.

He's okay I've guess. i've only really seen him as a modernization of the robin character, or as the more thought out replacement to Jason Todd.

Gotham just feels crowded now in the new 52. 3 former robins, 1 robin, Batgirl, Batwoman, Birds of Prey.

I'm not knocking DC for this these are popular characters that sell so it makes sense from a retailer perspective. Still doesn't change the fact that Gotham just feels like it has too many heroes, which is ironic since it is still the most crime ridden city in DC.

At least Batman Inc members are all over the globe. We've got Batwing in the D.R. Congo, and his adventures take him all over the continent of Africa, and the other Agent of the Bat are really spread out.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Twentyfive

I have no opinion of him. So while I don't dislike him, I don't like him either. From all this Lobdell stuff going on in this new continuity, Tim is not really appealing to me at all.

serpent222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By serpent222

@Squalleon said:

Because now he is a useless character, he is not Robin and there is no need for a second rate Nightwing.

I hated Drake since he became red robin his unhealthy obssesion with Bruce made me sick.

EDIT

And because this is exactly how i feel about Tim i will borrow(and with borrow i mean steal) the words of :

I still think Tim was mildly nuts. Deep down he could never expect Batman to go away, Ra's could drop a nuke on Bruce's dome and Tim will simply believe Batman's a ventriloquist and planned the entire event, boomtubed his way out of it or some such nonsense. Dick may be infatuated with Bruce but....Tim is obsessed with him, to the point where he almost sees him as a totem of worship. Big difference. When Superman broke the news to the batfamily Dick handled it in cool, collected fashion. Tim had a friggin meltdown and you instantly saw the difference in demeanor/maturity in those panels.

He probably loves Bruce more than he ever did his own father, the same can't be said for Grayson. I just can't support a character like that

The events of Red Robin really did show that Drake was hitting a bit on the side of madness. Can't really blame him, as when Bruce was "killed" it made him the THIRD parent that Drake lost. I really do think that in the course of the Red Robin series he got his wits about himself and moved much more towards detective than nutcase.

But yeah, new 52, he's just another character. There is nothing really special about him any more, in terms of his backstory and in his ability. It's quite upsetting.

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By havoc1201

@serpent222 said:

@Squalleon said:

The events of Red Robin really did show that Drake was hitting a bit on the side of madness. Can't really blame him, as when Bruce was "killed" it made him the THIRD parent that Drake lost. I really do think that in the course of the Red Robin series he got his wits about himself and moved much more towards detective than nutcase.

But yeah, new 52, he's just another character. There is nothing really special about him any more, in terms of his backstory and in his ability. It's quite upsetting.

agreed, which really sucks because he grew so much as a character but now its all for not

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Squalleon

@havoc1201: neither do i

Stupid idea,used correctly

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By havoc1201

@Squalleon: Pretty much

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#20  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@The_Tree said:

I hate what they've done with him in The New 52, but I love the pre-Flashpoint version of the character.

Batmandemon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By Batmandemon23

i just wish nicieza(I'm not sure if i spelled his name right) would write teen titans.

briangsharon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By briangsharon

Personally,

I grew up with Dick Grayson as Robin via the Funimation &Adam West /Burt Ward renditions.

I then had Jason Todd as my first comic robin - when he became red hood.

Then to be honest I completely dropped comics.

Now re-entering I obviously am fond of Nightwing/Red Hood and I can understand the relationship between a son (albeit flawed) and his father.

However looking back on the history I missed - it seems as though Tim was the filler. Sure a lot of people say that about Jason, but he carved out his identity as Red Hood.

He became the bad child of the family, dick is the oldest, damian the youngest.. and tim.. well tims the good one whos stuck in the middle so he doesn't get enough attention.

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By havoc1201

@briangsharon: Jason was robin for a very short time and came back as a villian trying to punish Bruce for not killing the joker...Like a child he tried killing the other bat members. Tim was robin from the late 80's to a few years ago also he took on his new name as a way to move past the boundries of the robin mantle, so i dont know what you mean but Tim acting like the child who didnt get enough attention when red hood acted like a child crying because bruce didnt love him enough

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BatteredArmor

Tim is a pretty popular character from what I've seen, I haven't seen much hate and he has a pretty large/obsessive fanbase on other parts of the internet . He's arguably my favorite character

briangsharon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By briangsharon

I never said he acted as if he was , I merely said it was his role in the family.

I'm aware of all the bat families origins ( I may have taken a break but I did my homework)

I was relating to the bat family as an actual family.

1. Dick - Eldest, Most respected, most responsibility.

2 - Jason - Middle child , Bad boy, confrontational , has his own rules

3 - Tim - Middle child , the scholar, good one ,as good or better than dick

4 Damian - Youngest, actual blood, the baby of the family

While jason & tim are both middle children the fact that jason carved his own path and left Bruce with guilt (think of him as the child with drug dependency) he gets more attention and Tim gets lost in the shuffle. Sure there were times (long times, perhaps the best) when Tim had his moment to shine. However as it stands today with all 4 in the room its hard to argue that Tim would get the least attention.

If the books / bruce aren't focusing on him (seeing as he doesn't require special attention) he quietly fades to the back.

You know what they say , it doesn't matter what they say as long as they are talking about you.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    I love the Drake. He's my favorite Robin.
    havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By havoc1201

@The Stegman said:

I love the Drake. He's my favorite Robin.

soooo This

Avatar image for vampireselektor
    VampireSelektor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By VampireSelektor

@havoc1201: I like Tim Drake, but I don't identify with the New52 version.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By danhimself

I like Tim...he's definitely my favorite Robin...since he was the Robin that I grew up reading

I don't however like the New 52 Tim as much as the old timeline's Tim....but that goes for pretty much every character in the New 52

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JakeN7

He is my favorite Robin, in my opinion the best Robin, and the Robin I grew up with. Tim Drake is probably my favorite comic book character only next to Batman. That having been said, his New 52 incarnation is disappointing to say the very least.

@Squalleon: I feel like your point would have much more to stand on if Tim wasn't RIGHT all along. Also, you have to understand that Tim was introduced as the characterization of the kids who grew up reading Batman comics. He was the ultimate Batman fanboy, and that is what drove him to seek out Batman and Robin's secret identities. Therefore, it makes a lot of sense that he would almost "worship" Batman more than any other member of the Bat-Family. I understand that he might have come across as a little obsessed to people who weren't too familiar with him, but the fact remains that he was the only one that didn't give up hope on Bruce being alive, and not only was he right, but he was also the one who literally brought Bruce back (along with some help from the Justice League.)

@serpent222: I agree. I think he was still just grieving when he was at his most unstable mentality though.

I rarely have heard negative things about Tim. He's definitely held in the highest regard next to Dick in the majority of fan's eyes (Pre-Flashpoint at least.)

@BlackArmor said:

Tim is a pretty popular character from what I've seen, I haven't seen much hate and he has a pretty large/obsessive fanbase on other parts of the internet . He's arguably my favorite character

Absolutely this.

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By minigunman123

I had a big post written, then it all got selected and erased and I literally didn't hit anything. Ctrl + Z wouldn't bring it back either. F*@$ing weird.

Anyway, the summary was:

Tim was cool Pre-flashpoint

He's much less cool, more immature, more awkward, more robotic in the New 52

Marv Wolfman needs to fix the current Teen Titans book.

Shutdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Shutdown

@Squalleon said:

EDIT

Agreed. It was a bit weird. I personally didn't like him because he came off as a Mary Sue (Marty Stu). He was the most intelligent of the Robins, which I was completely fine with. But then he was also shown to be one of the best fighters in the DCU and his personality seemed too perfect. I struggle to think of any actual flaws he had, other than his obsession as mentioned before, but this was treated by the vast majority as completely rational. He also encroached on Dick Grayson's personal talents as he seemed to be just as social as Grayson and also a natural leader a just like him as well.

Personally his origin seemed okay but seemed off. I mean seriously. The smartest people on Earth have not figured out Bruce Wayne's identity but a young boy does. I could understand if he was a savant or perhaps even autistic (akin to Raymond Babbit from Rain Man). I would have been fine with that but he is shown to be none of the above and is extermely social. I personally also didn't like the fact that he become Robin so soon after Jason's death but I do realise this is more to do with writers.

I am open to response as I'm aware i may be completely wrong. :)

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the kid, but some time his whole higly repressed bisexual gimmick, gets horribly annoying.

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By batshrine

@DeathpooltheT1000 said:

I like the kid, but some time his whole higly repressed bisexual gimmick, gets horribly annoying.

bisexual gimmick?

Shutdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Shutdown

@batshrine: I think he may be referring to the fact that Tim was more concerned with the death of Superboy (who was his best friend) than the supposed death of Stephanie Brown (his girlfriend).

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By batshrine

@Shutdown: Wow! If he really meant that then that is shocking! I mean, why is love prioritized that way? Can't you love your best friend without being sexual? That is so ridiculous!

And even so, lets say they make Tim bisexual, so what? There are a lack of bisexual characters and in my opinion that would bring so much more interesting internal conflict than all the homosexual characters. And its not like they are retconning the character since in real life many people don't come out till they hit 18 or older.

But still, that was so biggoted...

tomlikesfries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

#37  Edited By tomlikesfries

I think most people here really like Drake. And the worst Robin is Damian.

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By havoc1201

@batshrine: thanks i deleted it

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By havoc1201

@DeathpooltheT1000: wow man its not bisexual to morn your best friend who you fought side by side in life or death situations, but you probably would not know anything about that.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BlackWind

Middle child syndrome.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#41  Edited By BatWatch

I love Tim Drake. I do not think he is the most hated Robin character. I would say that honor goes to Damian. However, I would say he is probably the second most hated. Some people seem to think he is too perfect or too angty. I do not find either to be the case, but whatever.

Here is an article about controversial characters including Damian Wayne.

Shutdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Shutdown

@havoc1201: I think you've completely misunderstood what I was saying. I was answering the question that had about the comment maid by @DeathpooltheT1000. I was in no way agreeing with his views at all, merely explaining to another user what a particular statement meant, made by a user who is in no way affiliated with me. In fact, I have made no statements at all in regards to that issue other than explaining what I thought was meant. In my previous post in this thread, where I wrote about some issues that I had with the character I did not mention this at all. This is because I have no issue with the fact he mourned his best friend because I respect the character for doing that and in fact that made him more endearing to me. If I had to have an issue with that, it would be that he only mourned his girlfriend for an iota of time. But that I realise was probably more to do with the writers. And yes I do understand that mourning Superboy doesn't make him bisexual in the least. And in response to the first part of your response to me, who are you to judge me? You don't even know me. I have not contributed massively to this site as you can probably see by my post count, so you can't say that you are even minutely aware of my personality. I would think first before making a statement like that.

Even if I don't agree with @DeathpooltheT1000's statement, you shouldn't be making statements like that as you don't know him. It is not polite or civil at all.

By the way, your message that I'm replying to isn't showing up on the thread. I don't know whether it's a PM or not. But if it is a PM, it's weird that you would choose to communicate that way.

P.S. I'm going to post your response to me, so that others can see the context to this post.

@Shutdown: have you ever lost a friend that you have side by side with, who you trusted with your life? if you havnt then thats why you dont understand it, its not even close to bisexual.

Good day.

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FatihBATMAN

i think hes a cool guy...

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#44  Edited By Supreme Marvel

He's my 3rd favourite character.

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By FatihBATMAN

why do some people on here dont like him?

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#46  Edited By Supreme Marvel

I think the people that may not like him, possible are the people who think he might over take Nightwing one day and they fear that. Tim is smarter and younger, less physical and less of a fighter, but Dick is older so that's natural. I would like to see Tim become a better fighter, doesn't bother me if he's not better than Dick, just better than hat he is. I love his intelligence. Dick even commented saying he relies so much on Tim and that he'd probably be a better Batman that himself. Which I believe. I think Tim when older would be better than Bruce.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Shutdown: JEEZ some one got a huge missplaced sense of morallity and self righteousness

Thats why i liked the Jason Todd forum, comments like this dont make people go crazy on you.

Besides i am not the only one in the internet that belives Tim Drake isnt heterosexual, i mean i dont belive the guy is gay, but he is a very repressed person.

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By FatihBATMAN

so what.. hehe :D

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I have never heard anyone say anything bad about Tim Pre New 52 version just the New 52 version.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haydenclaireheroes said:

I have never heard anyone say anything bad about Tim Pre New 52 version just the New 52 version.

ITS A CONSPIRACY AGAINST CAPE WINGS.

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.