Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23535 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Why do people bash Batman Forever (1995)?

• 52 results
    firecracker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By firecracker22

I enjoyed Jim Carrey's performance. He reminded me of Frank Gorshin's Riddler. And the best thing I can say about Val Kilmer is that his Batman seemed like a decent impersonation of Michael Keaton's Batman. There was some genuinely interesting ideas, too, with Bruce coming to terms with things about his father and falling into the cave prior to his parent's deaths. Or even the acknowledgement of Michael Keaton's Batman being a killer, and how Bruce seemed to regret it when speaking to Dick.

But, there's so many weird things about it that just bugs me too much. While I prefer I more reserved Riddler, I can accept Carrey's depiction of an over the top know-it-all being inspired by Gorshin's Riddler. But, there's no defense for Tommy Lee Jone's Two-Face basically being The Joker. Two-Face....it was just too much. Way too much. Can't get over how off target it was to make Ngyma's obsession be Bruce Wayne, rather than Batman. The obsession being Batman, and just going crazy wanting and needing to outsmart him would have been better. Instead, in BF...it seemed like Nygma was really in love with Bruce. Like, head over heels...gone stalker...need to wear his skin if he won't love me obsession.

Batman smiling is still creepy as hell, too.

And then there's Dick Grayson showing off his sick ninja skills with the wet laundry....

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Gracetrack

Loved this movie. It isn't poor taste if you like Batman Forever, it's simply knowing how to enjoy a fun movie and not take yourself too seriously.

I must have watched it about 100 times (literally) during that first summer when it released on VHS. In fact, I probably could have recited to you every one of Jim Carrey's lines verbatim.

Granted, my love for this film primarily stemmed from my love for all things Batman rather than the quality of the story and acting, but also from my love for all things Jim Carrey (at the time).

And man o man, did it have a KILLER soundtrack. "Kiss From A Rose" is still one of my all time favorite songs.

firecracker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't say I love it...but I don't hate it. If it were the only Batman film we'd had, maybe I'd feel differently. But, I'd probably consider it a guilty pleasure of mine.

But, it's certainly got problems. And there was potential for some great stuff there.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.