Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Why do Batman fans hate Hal Jordan?

• 168 results
    renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By renamed040924

@OmegaRed86 said:

Batman is a douche. Hal Jordan FTW.

You got it backwards.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By sethysquare
    i guess its mutual. I love hal and hate batman.
    Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#53  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

I still love Bats and can realize that he's an amazing character and a great man. But like everyone, he has his faults and how he treats Hal Jordan is one of those faults. The problem is that Batman fans almost never acknowledge said faults.

htb106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By htb106

I like both of those characters.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Onemoreposter

I use to love Hal up through Rebirth and the yellow space cockroach. I still love him stories by great writers, especially period pieces like Justice or New Frontier. However, the whole of the GLC mythos has suffered immensely since the avent of Geoff Johns. But thats just my opinion, he seem popular and sells books so good for DC.

Also, Batman's oneshots on Gardener and Jordan are far more impressive than Jordan's on Bruce. These are Green f***ing lanterns getting laid out by a dude in tights. I don't remember exactly, but they probably wrote in some "hal let Batman hit him" into GL v3 9, but w/e. The Gardener shot was clean. As for Hal's one shot of Batman, well, Hal's got pretty standard enhanced everything with the ring on. Not saying he didn't shut the ring down to hit Bats, but the book never says he didn't.

Avatar image for imthedamnbatman
    ImTheDamnBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By ImTheDamnBatman

The man who invokes fear versus the man who has no fear. That creates tension. character wise, Batman is better.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#57  Edited By InnerVenom123

I love Batman.

I'm indifferent toward Hal.

Avatar image for spidermonkey2099
    spidermonkey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 16

#58  Edited By spidermonkey2099

Batman's my favorite comic book character, yet I also really like Hal and the Green Lantern Corps, though Kyle Rayner's the better (or at least more interesting) Green Lantern imo. I think what others were saying about Geoff Johns just trying to create a tension between the two based on their conflicting character traits (one relies on fear and the other is fearless) is right on the money. Now whether or not Johns oversells Batman's reliance on fear as a tool is arguable. But overall I do like Johns' Green Lantern stories, as well as the other things that I've read by him (Green Lantern: Rebirth through Blackest Night, Flashpoint, and Justice League's New 52 Origin).

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#59  Edited By ReVamp

I like both. Batman more, of course.

RyuHayabusa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By RyuHayabusa

There is nothing to like about Hal jordan.

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 18

#61  Edited By Delphic

I don't hate Hal Jordan. I hate Guy Gardner :P

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Though, I have to admit he's started to grow on me here recently :P

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Video_Martian

@OmegaRed86 said:

Hal Jordan is a douche. Batman FTW.

FIXED.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#63  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

I hate Green Lantern In General except John Stewart

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#64  Edited By Kallarkz

Why do people generalize so much?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I LOVE them both, that's right, I said it, I love Hal Jordan...in a strictly platonic sort of way. 

MadRooster81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By MadRooster81

As a fan I love Batman, but If I was a superhero in the DC Universe, I don't think I would like Batman at all. I'm surprised he is has been on JL as long as he has. lol

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By sethysquare

I love Hal. I'm not the greatest fan of Batman, but I still buy his comics (2 of them in fact) and watch his animates series, movies and what not. I love Batman's supporting characters and villains. I just don't feel connected to the dark knight himself.

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By batshrine

Well I think this thread has shown that not all Batman fans hate Hal.

I however think Hal is my least favorite GL. And warning the next comment might sound ridiculous but this is my personal opinion. When watching the Green Lantern movie, they were really pushing Hal witnessing his dad die, and that is his driving motivation. And I just want to say thats just wrong. The Batman family has had that origin for ages, and I know super heroes have similar origins, but when you say alien crash landing on earth, you think Superman family. When you think superhero letting criminal go, and having dire consequences you think Spiderman. So I just found that really irritating.

Plus he is just a boring character, he is an all powerful white guy, with girl issues. At least Guy is a jerk, Kilowog is awesome, and Kyle is an artist (which makes total sense for creative constructs). Heck even Tomar-Re is awesome just cause of how he looks.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

There's honestly more reasons for Hal Jordan fas to hate Batman then there are for Batman fans to hate Hal.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#70  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

I don't exactly like Hal, but I do know that GL's and the Bat family don't mix very well. One is about over coming fear and the other is about using fear, so I can see the latent hostility/dislike

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By BatteredArmor

@ReVamp said:

I like both. Batman more, of course.

HaydrianPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By HaydrianPayne

Both characters are pretty good, but Geoff Jones (if I'm not mistaken) decided to create a rivalry between the Batman and some Green Lanterns, most likely due to the fact that Batman has the whole "fear" thing going on, whereas Green Lanterns are supposed to overcome this. The "Bat-Punch" on Guy is also used to back this up. Readers end up going with their favorite characters, because some people...

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#73  Edited By dernman

I like both.

ecliptor2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By ecliptor2814

i like them both, i prefer the green lantern core over anything else in dc. i love the relationship between bats and the gl's. especially in the new 52 when hal keeps mntioning how bats is only a guy in a costume.

as for hal punching batman, sure batman is a great martial artist but could a power ring make hal punch very fast?

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Crom-Cruach

Becauser Geoff Johns tries to pull up the worst of the GLs by doing everything he can to demolish the awesome of a member of the trinity.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Resurrecting this thread because I've been noticing a lot of Green Lantern fans taking shots at Bats in the forums lately. It's a weird rivalry that has developed. I think a lot of it has to do with Geoff Johns.

On one side, you have Batman fans who feel like Johns has pulled a bunch of garbage out of his ass to legitimize an admittedly boring character in Hal Jordan. On the other side, you have GL fans who love the lore and have fallen in love with what Johns has done for Hal. They see Batman fans as these irrational Morrison zealots who think Batman wins in every situation. And frankly, the notion chafes their backsides.

Back to my point though: the problem begins and ends with Geoff Johns. Without Johns, you have no controversy. But then again, Green Lantern wouldn't be as successful either. It'd be nice if characters could be built up without feeling the need to diminish others.

Avatar image for dtslanterncorps
    DTSLanternCorps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Hal and hate Bruce.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Resurrecting this thread because I've been noticing a lot of Green Lantern fans taking shots at Bats in the forums lately. It's a weird rivalry that has developed. I think a lot of it has to do with Geoff Johns.

On one side, you have Batman fans who feel like Johns has pulled a bunch of garbage out of his ass to legitimize an admittedly boring character in Hal Jordan. On the other side, you have GL fans who love the lore and have fallen in love with what Johns has done for Hal. They see Batman fans as these irrational Morrison zealots who think Batman wins in every situation. And frankly, the notion chafes their backsides.

Back to my point though: the problem begins and ends with Geoff Johns. Without Johns, you have no controversy. But then again, Green Lantern wouldn't be as successful either. It'd be nice if characters could be built up without feeling the need to diminish others.

you forgot the actually likes Hal and hate when people use every opportunity to bash the character option.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I think this thread has shown that not all Batman fans hate Hal.

I however think Hal is my least favorite GL. And warning the next comment might sound ridiculous but this is my personal opinion. When watching the Green Lantern movie, they were really pushing Hal witnessing his dad die, and that is his driving motivation. And I just want to say thats just wrong. The Batman family has had that origin for ages, and I know super heroes have similar origins, but when you say alien crash landing on earth, you think Superman family. When you think superhero letting criminal go, and having dire consequences you think Spiderman. So I just found that really irritating.

Plus he is just a boring character, he is an all powerful white guy, with girl issues. At least Guy is a jerk, Kilowog is awesome, and Kyle is an artist (which makes total sense for creative constructs). Heck even Tomar-Re is awesome just cause of how he looks.

then you missed the entire point of the movie. Hal's dads death was what was holding him back not his motivation. i honestly dont get why its so hard for people to grasp that

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By reignmaker
    @avenging_x_bolt said:

you forgot the actually likes Hal and hate when people use every opportunity to bash the character option.

Oh, I have no doubt there are still people who fall under that category. But you see, back in the 90's and early 00's there wasn't a major issue between Bat fans and GL fans. Sure there were still arguments like there always is, but the division wasn't this clear. Then Geoff Johns came along and basically started a gigantic flame war with his stunts. The blowback from bat fans was obviously one of outrage. And many GL fans have taken this as a sign of attack.

What many of them don't realize is it was Johns who threw the first punch. Bat fans don't really hate Hal Jordan (even if they say they do). They just greatly disrespect the methods Johns employed to make Hal Jordan relevant again - especially when it came at Batman's expense.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By russellmania77

I love both... Batman a lot more tho

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 200

I think it's more a thing that Geoff Johns doesn't like Batman and so he writes him badly and I think he does it on purpose...This results in fans of Batman being mad at Johns and hating on anything that Johns has down...which is pretty much all major modern lore of Green Lantern and Lanterns in general...This then cause Lantern fans to hate on Batman. So in my opinion most of the hate stems from Johns...

Past Bat/Lantern dislike was actually just funny things happening...

It should also be noted that Bruce doesn't hate all Green Lanterns... Alan Scott was his hero when he was younger ^.^

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Blame Johns.

ectoborge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huge Batman Fan but I don't hate Hal. I thought there funny interactions were one of the best parts of justice league.

LaserLambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like Hal Jordan, and it has nothing to do with Batman.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

I love the Green Lantern concept and a lot of other members (Kyle, Arisia, Kilowog, Sinestro, Atrocitus, Bleez, etc.) but have always disliked Hal for his lack of creativity. Every time I read about him I always feel he doesn't deserve the ring because he seems to suck so bad with it. Maybe love of the cerebral and creative detective, Batman, precludes any affection towards someone who uses his infinite potential to be generally dull and bland. Avenging-X-Bolt... come at me BRO.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I love them both.... But I love Hal more

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt said:

Oh, I have no doubt there are still people who fall under that category. But you see, back in the 90's and early 00's there wasn't a major issue between Bat fans and GL fans. Sure there were still arguments like there always is, but the division wasn't this clear. Then Geoff Johns came along and basically started a gigantic flame war with his stunts. The blowback from bat fans was obviously one of outrage. And many GL fans have taken this as a sign of attack.

What many of them don't realize is it was Johns who threw the first punch. Bat fans don't really hate Hal Jordan (even if they say they do). They just greatly disrespect the methods Johns employed to make Hal Jordan relevant again - especially when it came at Batman's expense.

i agree. i just wish it would end.

@joygirl said:

I love the Green Lantern concept and a lot of other members (Kyle, Arisia, Kilowog, Sinestro, Atrocitus, Bleez, etc.) but have always disliked Hal for his lack of creativity. Every time I read about him I always feel he doesn't deserve the ring because he seems to suck so bad with it. Maybe love of the cerebral and creative detective, Batman, precludes any affection towards someone who uses his infinite potential to be generally dull and bland. Avenging-X-Bolt... come at me BRO.

meh. i disagree that Hal doesn't deserve the ring (obviously, with the whole saving the universe over and over). but i cant fault you for feeling that he isnt creative enough.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GL punching Batman was pretty funny. Mainly because it didn't make any sense

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish it would too. As long as Johns is writing for major titles, I don't think it will.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hal is a douche, Guy is a bigger douche and Johns is the biggest douche of them all.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Geoff Johns

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

No Caption Provided

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More important question regardless of being a Batfan or not, why do people like Hal Jordan?

Avatar image for dtslanterncorps
    DTSLanternCorps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SoftMachineOo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By SoftMachineOo

I like both :)

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

I suppose it is only the case when people connect better with Batman's personality, so will find Hal irritating on a regular basis.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#98  Edited By Squalleon

LMAO! Whatever it was for he deserved it.

Yeap. Thats the reason right there......you see it.....between the punch and the face.

And for the Batboys that will put the other scan....this is not a Hal vs Bat thread.We did not threaten the musculinity of your idol we just pointed out the reason you hate him

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

@avenging_x_bolt said:

I wish it would too. As long as Johns is writing for major titles, I don't think it will.

Example his current Aquaman run.Bashing characters to make him more badass.
    But to tell the trush Johns can write incredibly well so i forgive him.I loved Throne of Atlantis even though it had lots of Pis

OhItsThatGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because he's a mondo doucher.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.