Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23630 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Why did Joker let his face get cut off?

slvr4surfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By slvr4surfer

Hey I just started reading Batman with issue #13 and I was wondering how come The Joker let Dollmaker cut his face off? Do we know why he did it or is it just one of his crazy shenaningans?

wickedfun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By wickedfun

I don't necessarily think he "let" him cut off his face, that sounds absurd.

Yai_Inn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Yai_Inn
    @slvr4surfer: Batman said he did it as a proclamation. A message that he's not sure of the meaning yet.       
    @wickedfun: According to Batman he did let Dollmaker cut his face off. 

wickedfun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By wickedfun

@Yai_Inn: I had no idea, though I'm not surprised. Joker's behavior is absurd anyways.

Oni_Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Oni_Bane

Joker is just crazy enough to do it.

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 200

#6  Edited By Durakken

@slvr4surfer: Because idiots think they are being edgy.

DarkKnight1939

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DarkKnight1939

Perhaps its simply part of the unpredictable madness of the Joker, but likely there will be some plan or reason to behind it to be resolved. If his face has been cut off, that would allow someone to use his face or for the Joker to put on another as part of ingenious disguise. As the image above says its a "message".

KyleeAnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KyleeAnn

He purposely gets caught by Batman and put in to Arkham Asylum. In Detective #1 Batman sees The Joker killing someone, but doesn't get there in time to stop it. He catches Joker and puts him in Arkham Asylum. That night Dollmaker shows up in Joker's cell and implies that Joker asked him beforehand to meet him there, so obviously getting caught was planned by the Joker. You find out that the guy Joker killed earlier was Dollmaker's son. Dollmaker sent him to cut off Joker's face, but Joker only wanted Dollmaker to do it. Then Dollmaker cuts off his face and afterward they pin it to the wall and escape. They refer to it as a "rebirth" which implies there's a reasoning behind it, we just haven't found out what it is yet.

Whoishe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Whoishe

To DarkKnight1939, Joker allows this to all go on to prove he can get back at Bruce and his family for putting him in the Asylum and so called causing his creation. However, because of the confit of the Red hood act and Joker allways getting at Batman and never neather killing each other for each others acts Robin grows up to hates Batman by Jokers doing. These new comics shows robin becoming Jokers old name Red Hood once grown up. So when you where talking about other people could become the Joker, then thats one possibilty. Harley has known to also attemp to force her new bf, as Joker mentions that shes hanging around with some stranger, to where his face, but she gets shot. The new 52 orign story death of the family has given us readers new possibilites and angles to joker's plans of killing the new reformed Wayne family and friends.

Avatar image for theindigoeffect
    TheIndigoEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheIndigoEffect

So if I'm not mistaken, the Death of the Family storyline has concluded, which means we should know why the Joker allowed his face to be cut off. Was it just a gimmick created for shock value, or was there an actual reason behind it? For the benefit of everyone who wants to know, don't send me an answer in the form of a private message - just mention it in the comments.

I plan on reading Death of the Family once it is released in a collected edition, which is why I haven't read it yet.

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By havoc1201

in the new batman it said he cut it off to show he was the same underneath his skin there is still a smile, to prove to Batman and everyone else that it was not just his face that had a smile but that was who he truly was.

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Crash_Recovery

Outside of who and why the Joker's face got cut off in the story, there were two reasons why it happened:

1. Editorial wanted the Joker off the table for stories for the first year of the new 52

2. Editorial wanted the New 52 to start with a Bang...and a faceless Joker meets that criteria

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MuyJingo

In an early Detective Comics issue it showed Joker willingly participating in his face removal. It was not explained, just a gimmick for shock value. Lame.

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

#14  Edited By akbogert

@KyleeAnn said:

He purposely gets caught by Batman and put in to Arkham Asylum. In Detective #1 Batman sees The Joker killing someone, but doesn't get there in time to stop it. He catches Joker and puts him in Arkham Asylum. That night Dollmaker shows up in Joker's cell and implies that Joker asked him beforehand to meet him there, so obviously getting caught was planned by the Joker. You find out that the guy Joker killed earlier was Dollmaker's son. Dollmaker sent him to cut off Joker's face, but Joker only wanted Dollmaker to do it. Then Dollmaker cuts off his face and afterward they pin it to the wall and escape. They refer to it as a "rebirth" which implies there's a reasoning behind it, we just haven't found out what it is yet.

This extremely informative post is the only explanation we've received (and it seems a shame that it's been nearly three months and this post never had a follow-up!). Tony Daniel, the original writer for Detective Comics (in which the face removal occurred) has since left the book (and I think DC, though I may be wrong about that). Whatever his plans, then, he never got to make them happen, and the result is that subsequent writers (like Snyder) were forced to deal with it, with or without explanation. I thought Snyder did decently with what he was given, but despite the fact that the facelessness became a big deal in Death of the Family, you must remember that the face removal was not done for Death of the Family.

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
    deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ApatheticAvenger said:

He's... crazy?

Bat-sh!t crazy to be exact

redhoodnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By redhoodnet

I mean no disrespect to the original poster at all...

But to me the answer is always simple.. The guys is nuts nuts....

The reason he seems like he does things that are mad is because he is out of his mind.

Stronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

He wanted to deliver a message to Batman.

That from now on,things are much more serious than they used to be.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I'm pretty sure he originally cut his face off because he was retiring but then DC chickened out and needed to bring him back so they just strapped it back on

Rich711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

Tony Daniel is a Clive Barker fan. Who cares, he is just going to fall into the Lazareth pit and grow it back.

UncleEmu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was it just a gimmick created for shock value

pretty much. it allowed for a cool cover, and created a lot of buzz. in the end though, a lot of stuff in the arc just happened for no reason, just to stir up excitement

Arkhamc1tizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 33

To make hi even more scary

Avatar image for masterdetective
    MasterDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

for the lulz

Lady_Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Lady_Shadow

Joker allowed Dollmaker to cut it off.

I think the idea was mostly just for shock value. But it demonstrates how truly insane Joker is in this New 52. He's more unpredictable than usual.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

maybe the joker was just trying to prevent facial skin cancer. no skin, no skin cancer.

Telcalipoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Telcalipoca

everyone got a new look in the new 52 and for the joker it was his old look only removable. now the joker can put a smile on anyones face

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Because it was meant to represent that his mask is off and he knows who everyone is under their mask.

ewinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am so glad that I found this thread. I just started to get got up on the whole Dick is Batman and the Death of the Family arc. I thought I had missed something. The Joker "let" the Dollmaker cut his face off? What the what?? I am very curious to know if this will ever be addressed in the future. Or is this just the Joker being a new a level of crazy?

Dr_Harlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought he said it was a way of "freeing himself"?

VoodooPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. It allows for the Joker to make a big comeback.
    2. It makes him scarier than normal.
    3. It is supposed to try and scare the Bat-Family. If he can get the mask from a crowded police station, he can snatch individual people.
    4. Shock value.

Al_capOWN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC for life!

Al_capOWN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Al_capOWN

To show batman that "beneath my grin, is just more grin" "And thats what this is about. Reminding you of the love we share, you and I".

-Batman #17-

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lame gimmick.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I don't think it was all shock value. If Joker is supposed to be a twisted couterpart to Batman, then peeling his face off is no different than Batman taking his cowl off. So a faceless Joker is the Joker version of "Bruce Wayne". Sadly, I don't think they did enough with that.

HarleyQuinn98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I noticed the answer really wasn't stated so just thought I'd try and clear everything up a little...

Joker had planned for/let Dollmaker take his face off to prove to Batman that there is no redemption for him, that even without his signature face he is still the Joker. Batman tends to believe that in a bad person, somewhere deep down there is still good in the person. Joker did this kinda to say to Batman that deep down he is the same as his surface, there is no good in him and no hope for redemption. He will always be a crazy psycho killer and there is no saving him.

emmyberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure why he let the dollmaker cut his face off, but i do know that in Batman: Joker's daughter, his "daughter" has joker's face sewn onto her own.

LarryAshlynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The guy is nuttier than a squirrel's secret stash.

snicke234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slvr4surfer: I think he did it to show how he and Batman are similar. Bruce is no longer Bruce Wayne, he has become Batman and uses Bruce Wayne as a disguise. So if you were to be all metaphorical, you might just say Bruce cut off his own face to use as a mask.

Deadpool_Bot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because they said, look Heath Ledger Joker cut itself, it makes him look more crazy that comic book one.

We have to do something that make him look crazier.

I have an idea, lets cut his face.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparently to send batman a message.

MyNameIsWill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He left it there for them. Like a message.

Rejectedclown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He cut his face off to show batman that even without his "mask" he is still the joker. Which he is also saying that Bruce Wayne is a mask to batman. And that he should take his mask off as well

ArkhamWrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...interesting question... but i'm more curious about another one...

What he was doing that past year with his cuted face ?

Keenko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

PROBABLY BECAUSE HES CRAZY

Purple_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was done so that he could shed the last thing that made him human. His features changing after he fell into the vat of chemicals is what initially drove him insane. Now that his face is gone, his most defining physical trait has been removed, and his humanity along with it. IF you finished the death of the family arc you'll see what i mean. Probably one of the darkest and most intense joker stories ever. Or in Batman period.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.