Why can't some people just be happy?

#1 Posted by neale7 (124 posts) - - Show Bio

I read that a lot of fans are happy the Nolan era of films is over as it wasn't a true representation of the character/'s and they can't wait for the new era to begin. I was talking about this with my friend the other day in which he asked "why can't people just be happy with what they have at the moment, because you never know what the next era of film will bring". I agreed with him entirely. I mean people moan about the Burton films. I personally love them. Yeah batman killed (which he did early in the comics), and they had Joker be Bruce's parent’s killer (this created good tension between hero and villain). Penguin is a freakish monster man. Doesn't mean their bad films though. They were good for the time and have an element of fantasy to them.

Then we got the Schumacher films, which destroyed the franchise. Now we've just finished the Nolan films and people come out the wood work because its not super faithful to the source material, and too realistic. Bane isn't Bane from the comics, Bales voice sucks. I think people moaned more about Bane not being super big and not on venom than people did about Joker not having bleached white skin and permanent green hair. The Nolan films are good films. Just because they aren’t 100% true to the comics and they change the characters a bit, doesn't make them bad films.

We should all as Batman fans be happy that we got such a talented director and writer that brought the franchise back from the death and made it into a billion dollar film franchise. I'm not saying myself that i haven’t been picky about some bits of every film, but i can live with it. I can honestly say that i don't think there will ever be a true representation of the characters on screen that will please everyone. So instead of bashing everything and moaning, let's all be happy as Batman fans that we have some good Batman films to admire and watch and look at them as achievements of what has happened before.

#2 Posted by MasterDetective (840 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally don't like the Nolan films

#3 Posted by neale7 (124 posts) - - Show Bio

@MasterDetective: Ok cool. Can i ask why?

#4 Posted by BumpyBoo (10061 posts) - - Show Bio

I think you're right. After all, how true to the source can a film be? It is impossible to convey 70 years of a character's history in a two hour film. Things naturally have to be adjusted to suit the medium.

#5 Posted by Squalleon (4640 posts) - - Show Bio

A story must be faithfull to it's medium not it's origin!So as long the producer/director/writer respects the theme of the story ,i believe it is ok.

Nolan respected the consept and Schumacher didn't, that's the difference.

#6 Posted by neale7 (124 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweet. Do you guys have problems with the way the characters were represented in the Nolan films? My favourite is TDKR. I think Bane was brill. Terrifying, had a brain and posed a physical challenge to Batman. He may have looked a bit different and his origin tweaked a bit, but i could see the character. People bash bane and TDKR, but love TDK and Joker. I really don't see how they can be so hypocritical. The Joker didn't have bleached skin and permanent green hair, and i don't think he was the sadistic homicidal manic he could have been. Yeah his look was there, white face and green hair and a tiny bit of his personality, but not fully. The joker from the comics would have killed every single person at the Harvey Dent fundraiser in the Wayne building once Batman went after Rachel. Nothing heard of though, its like he just left the building. His body count was high in the film though. It doesn't really bother me that much though as its a good film and the Joker character itself was a good portrayal. I enjoyed Anne Hathaway as Selina too. Talia was very under used though.

#7 Posted by Squalleon (4640 posts) - - Show Bio

@neale7: My personal favorite is TDKR and Bane(mostly because of his awesome lines).Joker was good but overrated because in contrast with bane he has more Fan-base and is well-known among no comic book readers.

All of the characters had great representations in the films.

#8 Posted by Selinaky (677 posts) - - Show Bio

I love different interpretations of Batman (as long as they are good). I enjoyed Nolan's take on the Batman series, if all films were the same it would get boring. He was brave to reinvent certain characters and aspects, and it paid off IMO. They were massively successful, and I'm happy that Batman got such a good trilogy, it could've been a lot worse!

Although, I would like to see a film more close to the comics next time perhaps.

#9 Posted by BatWatch (2812 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed the current films, but nothing is inoculated from criticism. I agree that anybody who nitpicks a movie so much that they cannot enjoy it is cheating themselves out of a good time, but I don't think that is the case with most people. Most people who object to certain things in Nolan films still like the Nolan films, they just wish they were better. Also, occasionally we get complete crap, and let's call a spade a spade in those cases.

#10 Posted by BatWatch (2812 posts) - - Show Bio

@neale7 said:

Sweet. Do you guys have problems with the way the characters were represented in the Nolan films? My favourite is TDKR. I think Bane was brill. Terrifying, had a brain and posed a physical challenge to Batman. He may have looked a bit different and his origin tweaked a bit, but i could see the character. People bash bane and TDKR, but love TDK and Joker. I really don't see how they can be so hypocritical. The Joker didn't have bleached skin and permanent green hair, and i don't think he was the sadistic homicidal manic he could have been. Yeah his look was there, white face and green hair and a tiny bit of his personality, but not fully. The joker from the comics would have killed every single person at the Harvey Dent fundraiser in the Wayne building once Batman went after Rachel. Nothing heard of though, its like he just left the building. His body count was high in the film though. It doesn't really bother me that much though as its a good film and the Joker character itself was a good portrayal. I enjoyed Anne Hathaway as Selina too. Talia was very under used though.

I don't think I have a problem with any of the character interpretations in the Nolan films. They all differed somewhat from the comics, but they were still entertaining, and the core personalities seemed right.

My biggest criticisms with the Batman series are in regards to the action in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight Rises, and the billions of plot holes in The Dark Knight Rises.

Personally, I would like to see a Batman film which deals with metahumans next time around just for something different.

#11 Posted by Suprman (442 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't really have any problems with the films. My biggest issue was Bale as Batman and this was mostly with the voice. I can't speak for other people but the reason it annoys me is that there are moments when Batman speaks and the dialogue is supposed to have some dramatic impact. The impact is ruined if you can't understand what he's saying. This is what happened at the end of Dark Knight. When I saw the movie in theaters, I was ten rows away from the screen and sitting close to a speaker and I still couldn't understand his final speech. That's my issue with the voice, but then again that's just me and I can't speak for other people.

#12 Posted by moneyshotz (141 posts) - - Show Bio

all nolan movies sucked

#13 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the films. I don't think they are the greatest film of the last decade like some people do, but I still enjoyed them.

#14 Posted by Haaydrian (173 posts) - - Show Bio

The movies were amazing. And I'm all in favor of changing aspects of things to make it work in another medium.

#15 Posted by Matchstick (565 posts) - - Show Bio

It doesn't matter how well done something is, there will always be some people that complain about it.

#16 Posted by moneyshotz (141 posts) - - Show Bio

there okay but ill always love batman forever an batman with jack.

#17 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

Hater gonna Hate

Nolan FTW

#18 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (2899 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not going to enjoy something I don't like.

I'm glad Nolan's run is over. Batman Begins is the only one out of the trilogy that I liked personally.

#19 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@moneyshotz said:

all nolan movies sucked

I didn't know opinions constituted fact.

@moneyshotz said:

there okay but ill always love batman forever an batman with jack.

Much better.

#20 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

I love them, it's a very different Batman and I love it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.