Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23648 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Why can't Batman fly? (a discussion of non lethal weaponry)

MisterMollusk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By MisterMollusk

You'd think with all the crazy technology out there, Batman would be able to have some jetpackish thing to give him the power of flight. I know he needs stealth and all that, but still I think his arsenal in general is less advanced than it could be. I mean instead of breaking dudes' bones he could just long distance pepper spray them and then knock them out. There's a wide variety of nonlethal weaponry at his disposal that he doesn't seem to use. Flashbangs, teargas, beanbag guns, foam spray, rubber bullets in the legs etc. I know the whole sneaky sneaky biff pow thing is more interesting, but I think his life would be a lot easier if he carried mace and a stun baton. :P 

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @MisterMollusk said:
    "  I mean instead of breaking dudes' bones he could just long distance pepper spray them and then knock them out.  "
    He's Batman, not someone's mom walking out to her car after a late YMCA clay class.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By danhimself
    @Gambler said:
    " @MisterMollusk said:
    "  I mean instead of breaking dudes' bones he could just long distance pepper spray them and then knock them out.  "
    He's Batman, not someone's mom walking out to her car after a late YMCA clay class. "
    lmao...but seriously....he wants to get in there close so that during the fights the criminals will catch glimpses of him and spread their fear to other criminals
    LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By LT1085

Batman can fly..."with prep".

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By joshmightbe

i believe he actually has a jetpack and the batjet

Croaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Croaker

The reason he uses punches, IMO, is because he wants to inflict pain on criminals.

Sailorkc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sailorkc

Dudes got a point with all that technology at his disposal and Supes as his best bud you would of thought the bat suit would of had the pimp my ride treatment. Even a Legion flight ring would do.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jack Donaghy

I sometimes wonder this too, I mean it's not like it would be completely out of character for him to use something that allowed him to fly. On the Brave and the Bold cartoon his cape would turn into a jet pack sometimes so he could fly but he mostly still used the grappling gun. Also in Batman Beyond, I know it was Terry not Bruce but it's a suit Bruce designed and wore for awhile, on that the suit could fly but Terry would use the grappling gun from time to time. So in the comics he should do something similar, use something for flight but mainly stick with the grappling gun because it seems he would prefer that.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

He has jetpacks, planes, helicopters, and rockets, he can fly if he wants to, but the simple truth is, the Batman doesn't NEED to fly.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#10  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Because he doesn't like using crutches. If he could just use gadgets and everything than what was the freaking point of shaping himself in the physical and mental paragon?

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#11  Edited By BatWatch

The out of universe answer is that it would take away from the fundamental attraction of Batman, a hero who is essentially human and vulnerable on the battlefield. If he used that sort of equipment, he could probably design tech like Tony, and that is hardly as exciting to most people as the ninja style action of Batman.

The in universe answer to my mind is that Batman wants to make a statement as Batman. Sure, he could design Iron Man type gear, and he has as is demonstrated every month with Batwing and was explored in Batman and Robin 12. However, Batman does not want to project the image of being a powerhouse who can shake mountains. Rather, he wants to be known simply as a man, a myth, a shadow. Who scares you more if you are a lowlife thug getting ready to mug somebody, Batman or Iron Man? Sure, Iron Man could damage you much more, but his tech actually means he has to show more restraint. Furthermore, you would almost surely know if Iron Man was in the neighborhood, but you never know when Batman might be watching you.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By TheCrowbar

Why doesn't he have a jetpack?

Because he gets shot at all the time. You know how dangerous that would be?

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Blood1991

@TheCrowbar said:

Why doesn't he have a jetpack?

Because he gets shot at all the time. You know how dangerous that would be?

Exactly! A jet pack is like flying with a grenade taped to your back.

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FatihBATMAN

@PsychoKnights said:

The out of universe answer is that it would take away from the fundamental attraction of Batman

agreed!

Chris_The_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Chris_The_Wolf

@MisterMollusk: welll batman hasn't got super powers thats why he can't fly

CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CapFanboy

@Gambler said:

@MisterMollusk said:
    " I mean instead of breaking dudes' bones he could just long distance pepper spray them and then knock them out. "
    He's Batman, not someone's mom walking out to her car after a late YMCA clay class.

Always the best kind--Wait! Mod! Retreat! Retreat! Sound the alarm!

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 200

#17  Edited By Durakken

Actually... The in universe is simple. The premise of his weaponry is that you should generally not rely upon it and rockets, as far as we've seen in the DCU aren't within their technology level. They are just barely outside of it. They're still bulky and flashy at the present.

As to the other technology he does have all that stuff on him, or accessible, but there is only so much you can carry on you while maintaining your maneuverability.

The biggest factor though is that part of his goals are to scare criminals. Not just put them down. Guns don't scare anyone, not in the way that is needed. I know it sounds weird but guns aren't "scary" they are weapons and you generally know how it works and if someone is using a gun you know their general attack pattern. On the other hand if you have a guy who is dressed like Batman, obviously has weapons, drop from the sky, hides in the shadows, etc... it's unpredictable and you don't know what he's going to do or where he's coming from. If given the option most people would rather face the guy with the gun than the guy in the Bat suit.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Eternal19

Why do people want batman to be able to do everything. One of the reasons he's so popular is because he doesnt have any powers. One of the things that I think should be a priority in the new 52 is getting rid of the Batgod concept its getting annoying to thhink that half the villians batman fights could be beaten easily is batman would just create a contingency plan or put on his insider suit or one of his other batsuits

Mediumguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mediumguy

It's probably because the equipment would weigh him down. Gliding on the other hand has him using his cape which he'd have on him anyway.

Saucedo17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Saucedo17

@Eternal19: Well there doing pretty good job so fare he gotten his but kick in Batman, Batman Dark Knight (comic not movie), he got beat in Batman and Robin, Detective I haven't read in tell issu 0 and 13 and I don't read that one Batman comic with Talia but so fare they haven't mad him all Batgod (yet)

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FatihBATMAN

Bats basically can fly a few hundred meters..and thats enough id say....the people hes fighting are ground people..no need to fly?

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Xanni15

I don't think it lines up with his training in the ninja arts, he's all about being silent and invisible while getting near for the close hurting. Batman needs to intimidate his opponents and be more than just a brawling fighter who pounds people into giving up.

On the other hand, Jason Todd would probably agree that Batman could have used something faster. :\

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.