Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23645 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Why Blink Should Return To Batman Books

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Sometimes we are introduced to a really awesome comic book character, but once a story arc wraps up, we never hear from them again. Do you ever wonder what happens to these characters? Many of them are interesting and unique, but sadly, never make it to the pages of our funny books after their first appearance.

No Caption Provided

Last week DC comics re-released issues 164 to 167 of Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight in a 100-page spectacular titled DC Comics Presents: Batman: Don't Blink. The single issues which were first printed back in the Spring of 2003 featured a very interesting character who we haven't seen since that particular 4-issue story arc. Written by Dwayne McDuffie with pencils from Brian Stelfreeze and Val Semeiks, "Don't Blink" is a story that pits Batman against a secret government agency who is spying on foreign diplomats and terrorists as well as a mob boss who is in the business of trafficking young children. The story centers around a very cool and very different blind character named Blink who Batman has met previously, but who he must save in order to obtain his help in solving a case. Now you're probably wondering what kind of help Batman needs from a blind man, right? He's the eyes and ears of Gotham City, afterall. Blink comes in handy in this issue due to his special power.

== TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided

While Blink is blind, he isn't helpless. In issue #164 Batman states that "what nature takes away with one hand, she gives back with the other." In the case of Blink, this is absolutely true. Although Blink may not be able to see in the conventional sense, he does have a very special ability: when he touches someone, he is able to use their eyes to see whatever they are seeing. But that's not all. Blink will feel, hear, smell and taste everything the individual sees, hears, smells and tastes as well, until he (Blink) touches another person and his senses transfers to that individual. His first appearance was in issue #164 of Legends of the Dark Knight in a four issue story arc and his final appearance came in the final issue of that story arc (#167). The thing is, Blink is a really interesting character.

No Caption Provided

When I first read this arc I thought to myself, I really haven't ever read a character quite as innovative as Blink. The scrawny, somewhat clumsy character with glasses and a receeding hairline hardly compares to the brute, chiseled Batman; but if it weren't for him, Batman and Commissioner Gordon may not have solved the case.

No Caption Provided

It's briefly implied that Blink had something of a troubled past (used to be something of a criminal), and that it was Batman who convinced him to rehabilitate. If he were to join Batman once again, he could help the Dark Knight by literally being his eyes, ears and taste buds -- and he wouldn't even be putting himself in that much danger. Take for example the current Batman story arc in Scott Snyder's Batman. Can Lincoln March really be trusted, or is he trying to get close to Bruce in order to take him down when he is vulnerable? With one small graze against March's arm and Batman would get a birds eye view of everything that is happening and whether or not March can actually be trusted.

I personally would love to see Blink's return to current comics. What do you think of his character? Would you like to see first hand what he can do in the new DC Universe? What characters do you think are pretty cool who are overlooked? Which would you like to see make a return to comics?

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#1  Edited By TheCheeseStabber
    Troubled Past May or May not some Include This.
    Troubled Past May or May not some Include This.
    MrUnknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By MrUnknown

Eh... they should bring Detective Chimp or Bat-mite instead!

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I was just thinking the same thing when I read the same story collection over the weekend! Blink should make an appearance in comics again. I loved him in the Blink and Don't Blink storylines and he did much to help the Dark Knight in those two cases he worked. Bring back Blink!

Knight Train

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Knight Train

Dwayne McDuffie said in an interview that he drew on his experiences dealing with his father, who was blind. I loved this arc, he was such an amazing writer.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Daveyo520

Bring back Ace!

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By entropy_aegis

There are about a dozen more deserving characters waiting to come back.

I'll start with the Wrath.

HaHaManHV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#7  Edited By HaHaManHV

If you're going to bring back some random character nobody cares about, sure, why not. DC needs a blind dude, but what they don't need is more unimportant characters

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By BatteredArmor

There are allot of one shot charecters like Blink. Forgotten and loitering around limbo

KEROGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By KEROGA

blink sounds super interesting....

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By InnerVenom123

That actually sounds like a pretty awesome character.

jubatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jubatron

I think Access, the character introduced in Marvel vs. DC should make more appearances, even though that series was kind of crappy I thought that a character who could exist in all universes was kind of cool. He wouldn't even have to factor in the plot. I just want pencillers to include him in the background of some books or even help heroes in subtle ways.

Deadknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#12  Edited By Deadknight

Dang it! And here I was thinking I'd thought up an original powerset for a character. I'd had thought of a villain once with very similar abilities. Of course, I only have ideas to show for my efforts and nothing else. ...Oh well, "great minds think alike." I'll just have to make sure that if I ever get anywhere with my character ideas that they stand apart from anything previous.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By doordoor123

@Daveyo520 said:

Bring back Ace!

Are you reading Batman and Robin? He's back.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Daveyo520

@doordoor123: I have been backlogged. Now I really shouldn't read it because the idea of Ace is really stupid.

DKing_CiCADA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DKing_CiCADA

Sounds like something to add to my X-mas list

Hatutzeraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hatutzeraze

I had not read those comics before. They are likely in a half off box at the store I work at. I'll be picking those up tomorrow.

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Mbecks14

Never heard of him before, but i do think he sounds interesting! Though i typically prefer my Bat-characters super powerless

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By NightFang3

@MrUnknown said:

I want them all back!

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Eyz

what an interesting idea! Righty-o!

@NightFang said:

@MrUnknown said:

I want them all back!

^what they said!

Sobe Cin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Sobe Cin

I'd read about him.

BatUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By BatUniverse

Awesome Character!

"what nature takes away with one hand, she gives back with the other." Very true!

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#22  Edited By The Impersonator

I never knew that Daredevil existed in DC. :P

ArkhamInmate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ArkhamInmate

Never heard of him but after reading this article I totally want to see him in comics!!

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By JonesDeini

@MrUnknown:

My pitch for a DCnU title...Detective Chimp Ongoing with Irving Frazer as my artist!!!

PlayerUno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PlayerUno
    Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Or35ti

Never heard of Blink before but he sounds like a really interesting character. I'd love to see him in one of Batman's New 52 books

BradyDale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BradyDale

This isn't in the nature of the question you asked, but I miss Vic Sage as THE QUESTION.

Also, old Speedball. And Night Thrasher.

But in terms of underused but super fun characters I miss, Tatterdemalion comes quickly to mind, but the greatest 80s character that I am just MYSTIFIED is not still a rock star is Typhoid Mary. In fact, Bendis killed her not so long ago. She was so fascinating and warped.

Eat the Babies!

MrUnknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By MrUnknown

@JonesDeini: We just need a good writer ;)

Avatar image for metatron_da_don
    Metatron_Da_Don

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By Metatron_Da_Don
    @The Impersonator said:

I never knew that Daredevil existed in DC. :P

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#30  Edited By cbishop

I never actually read the stories he was in, but the 3-ring binder edition of DC Who's Who made me interested in the Bat character, Joe Potato. Outside of that, there was a Marvel villain called The Bengal that I thought was interesting, and I'm not sure they ever finished his story. Although I cannot think of any at the moment (ain't that always the way?) I find that I'm always running across old characters from back page stories that I wish would see a revival. They'll probably screw her up royally if they do it, but I'd love to see DC bring Amethyst back - she should have connections with several players in the DCU... and I think some of those would surprise people.

Knight Train

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Knight Train

Someone should update this article and 'Blinks" page because Blink's first appearance was in the arc 'Blink' (in Legends of the Dark Knight 156-158) also written by Dwayne McDuffie it follows Blink as he witnesses a crime while grifting someone who turns out to be a murderer, We see that he was a criminal in this and by the end Batman convinces him to give up crime. They should've reissued that before they did 164-167. Or maybe put them both together, reissuing the sequel before the first is silly and means that people miss important character details etc.

GamerGeek360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By GamerGeek360

Never really knew much about Blink but this makes me want to see him! I agree with MrUnknown in bringing Bat-Mite back as well.

haytil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By haytil

@Knight Train said:

Someone should update this article and 'Blinks" page because Blink's first appearance was in the arc 'Blink' (in Legends of the Dark Knight 156-158) also written by Dwayne McDuffie... They should've reissued that before they did 164-167. Or maybe put them both together, reissuing the sequel before the first is silly and means that people miss important character details etc.

Indeed, this article SHOULD be updated! But this comment is also incomplete - as the "Blink" story arc (LOTDK 156-158) WAS reissued in its own 100-page spectacular, only a month or so before this one ("Don't Blink", the sequel) was.

Which of course makes the original article's omissions and errors all the more shameful...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.