Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23645 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Why Batman is the greatest ever

• 60 results
    reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By reignmaker

NOTE: Recently added some text to this. Understand that I'm not just referring to one interpretation of Batman here. More than any other other comic book protagonist, Batman has undergone several different transformations. I love every one of them, and I think it further demonstrates why he's the greatest superhero ever. Many of them resonate today with different audiences for different reasons. "No matter how often [Batman is] reinvented - a noir detective in the 40s, a camp icon in the 60s, a gothic Knight in the 80s, [or a mortal bat-god in the 90s] - he's always the coolest, most iconic and recognizable superhero there is." - Dave Golder, editor of SFX.co.uk

Best origin

The power of Batman's origin doesn't come from its originality, though it certainly debuted before most of today's heroes. Its staying power resides in raw, uncaring brutality combined with the loss of childlike innocence. It's a very realistic occurrence which has only increased in relevance with America's growing gun culture. There's no soap opera twist here where Bruce knew the killer and could have prevented it. It wasn't some fantastical occurrence that happened on another planet. It happened here. It happened at home. It was also one of the first origins to demonstrate that heroes aren't made by chance, heroes are made through choice. And no one can forget that timeless image of a young weeping Bruce Wayne, swearing to avenge his parents. He made the hard choice and stuck to it, and that's the only reason why there's a Batman.

No Caption Provided

Best world

Gotham City. Gotham City PD. Arkham Asylum. Blackgate Prison. The Batcave. Wayne Manor. Batman's home turf, has a richer and more vibrant lore than any other hero in existence. This isn't a borrowed City where already existing historical occurrences and landmarks were simply copied. Everything was built from the ground up - panel by panel, story by story. Scott Snyder's acclaimed Court of the Owls run recently demonstrated how Gotham has a living, breathing personality all of its own. Jonah Hex's adventures in All-Star Western have also been touching on the history of this interesting place. But Gotham belongs to Batman. If there are other heroes in the city, it's because he lets them be there. If you want to raise the stakes and include Batman's JLA affiliations, the world gets even larger and more intricate, but I didn't do that here.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Best supporting cast

Take away Batman and his Bat family, and Marvel no longer has any serious competition. If you don't believe me, take a look the latest monthly best-sellers and count the number of Batman related books and their respective positions on the list. This is a bastion of comicdom that was first built within the pages of Detective Comics. But Batman's supporting cast isn't just about other superheroes. Thomas and Martha Wayne are often present in the form of meaningful flashbacks. Alfred, has proven himself to be beyond a mere butler. He's at the very heart of the Bat family. Jim Gordon is the most recognizable and layered character in comic book law enforcement. Oracle - a testament that once you get knocked down, you're usefulness isn't at an end. In fact, you can still be quite powerful even when bound to a wheelchair. Dr. Leslie Thompkins, Lucius Fox, Harvey Bullock, etc. I could talk about each of these characters for several pages. Not all of them are manifested in the current comics, but they've all been around with some consistency. These aren't paper-cutter stereotypes either. Many of them could easily have their own books. And they would sell. Notice, I haven't even opened the door to talk about the many unique Robins that we've seen, or the other crimefighters and anti-heroes which regularly populate Batman's world.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Best villains

Of all of the categories listed here, this is probably the least argued over. The sheer amount of recognizable baddies in Batman's rouges gallery is just unmatched. Indeed, they could likely populate the schedules of three or four other heroes, and there would still be plenty to go around. And these villains come in all shapes and sizes - a wonderful variety. You have your fair share of Arkham crazies to be sure, but you also have your evil geniuses, your deadly assassins, and monsters. Spider-Man's gallery definitely comes the closest, but they're distinguished from Batman's in two important ways. First and generally speaking, Batman's villains have more complex psychologies. There are exceptions to this rule of course, but if we were to line them all up shoulder-to-shoulder it just isn't a contest. Second, the sheer variety of Batman's outclasses Spidey's in their unique traits. A lot of Spider-Man's villains carry these animal themes and share similar "mad scientist" backstories. What also happens a lot when you listen to Spidey fans argue about his villains is they often bring in characters who possibly belong to the Fantastic Four or the Avengers. Batman's villains are unquestionably his own. He also has the crown jewel in The Joker, the most recognizable comic villain in any medium.

No Caption Provided

Best "powers"

Ok, so this is an important sticking point for some people. "How can you be the greatest superhero if you don't have superpowers?" Let me ask you something, could a normal person do the kind of things Batman does? Lets go down the list: He's a master of almost every known form of martial arts, has a body which exceeds most Olympic athletes, skilled in just about every scientific discipline, the world’s greatest detective, a professional pilot, driver, and sailor, a computer hacker, an escape artist, so stealthy he can vanish from plain sight, an extremely savvy businessman, the inventor of many unique and advanced pieces of technology, a master strategist, multilingual, and a master of disguise. Plus, he almost never sleeps. Oh yes, and let's not forget the prep. The prep that makes him nearly unbeatable in most hypothetical discussions. If these aren't amazing powers, I don't know what is. They're the powers of a peak-level human being. Basically we've taken the hypothetical best that a human can achieve in almost every facet of life, and affixed them all to Batman. It makes him extremely formidable. More so, than your average superpowered being - even with brilliant intelligence. Best powers? Definitely.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Best comics

Batman's library has changed comics more than any other Superhero. Superman is famous for being the first. Spider-Man is famous for being the most relatable. But Batman has beaten them both consistently in terms of sheer quality through most major decades (I'll concede the 50's to Superman, and the 60's to Spidey). Now for something as subjective as comics, what measuring stick do we have here other than critical acclaim and maybe sales? Well, that's pretty much it, and the numbers support that Batman has been the #1 character since the mid 70's. Dennis O'Neil is the true godfather of the Batman movement in my mind. Throughout the 70's he made the Dark Knight the world's greatest detective again, he also started the transition to more serious adventures. Comics historian Les Daniels observed that "O'Neil's interpretation of Batman as a vengeful obsessive-compulsive, which he modestly describes as a return to the roots, was actually an act of creative imagination that has influenced every subsequent version of the Dark Knight."

This opened to the doors to Frank Miller's work in the 80's which changed the face of comic books forever. This is what made comic books an adult pastime. Many characters who were subsequently created or made more gritty have the Batman works to thank. Batman comics have been bestsellers ever since and have enjoyed a greater influx of creative talent than any other property. The works we've since been privileged to read are a reflection of this. Today, it's not even a contest: Grant Morrison is wrapping up his acclaimed run, Scott Snyder has made the main Batman title the hottest thing in comics, and Tomasi along with Gleason are doing their best work ever on Batman & Robin.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Best movies (and DVD's)

I'm going to be brief here. Tim Burton's Batman movies brought superhero movies back to life and demonstrated that they could thrive in the Hollywood environment. Nolan's trilogy did it all over again, except his offerings were more like raising the bar on the superhero medium in general. The amount of reboots that occurred after Batman Begins was ridiculous. Many directors in show business have credited Nolan's Batman films as not only an inspiration for reboots, but as an important influence on movies in general. The most recent directors to do this was JJ Abrams and Sam Mendes, director of Skyfall. No other comic book hero has even approached this same level of cinematic success. There have been good installments, true, but they weren't the pioneers or game-changers that Batman's movies have been. When it comes to direct-to-DVD offerings, it's also a no-contest situation.

Best TV shows

Adam West and Burt Ward defined TV in the 60's. The show was such a major commercial and cultural success that it effectively ended West and Ward's acting careers because they were so strongly typecast. It would have lasted longer if not for the formulaic writing of the show. But Batman received a reemergence on the little screen with Bruce Timm's Batman: The Animated Series. This show is widely regarded as one of the greatest animated shows ever. It also spawned a plethora of other superhero shows. It's a big reason why we have so many Batman fans today. Might even be the biggest single reason. The Batman shows that have followed weren't as widely acclaimed but have garnered solid reviews in their own right. Again, no other hero comes close in this area. It's not even debatable.

Best video games

This has been a quiet area for most heroes. But since the success of Batman '89 and TAS, Batman has enjoyed more activity in the video game category than most of his peers. In the modern era of gaming, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance was fairly successful, but most superhero games have come to us as rushed-knockoffs of preexisting movies. The Arkham series has changed all that. One of the most frequently repeated comments of any review from either fan or critic was "best superhero video game ever!" The fact that it has grown into its own successful franchise of stealth-action games only further validates that Batman holds the crown in this area. Marvel has of course put out some great games which include multiple characters, but no single hero stands toe-to-toe with Batman here. Once more, the sales figures and critical acclaim make this fact indisputable.

Best look

Batman's look is one of the most iconic looks in comics. When people think superheroes, they think "a mask." When people think superheroes, they think "a cape." Batman is rocking both. The other big 3 can't say that (Superman, Spider-Man, Wolverine). Batman's look is also so distinct that it's tough to replicate it without coming across as a blatant knockoff. Superman on the other hand, has been replicated successfully in many different ways. When you think of an unmasked man with a cape, he's certainly still the first to enter most people's minds, but there's also Captain Marvel (Shazam), Majestic, Supreme, and even Thor. Spider-Man's look has been replicated successfully by several characters in his own universe. Deadpool can't cross the street without hearing a Spider-Man crack. Daredevil also has the same problem. I'm not saying that Batman's look hasn't been duplicated, but it's so unique that characters who have tried to duplicate the look haven't really lasted. Again, when you think "cape and cowl" - it's Batman and pretty much only Batman that comes to mind. It's also a costume that has translated quite nicely in the modern context. It's simply badass. To be iconic and badass at the same time is a pretty tough thing to do.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Best moments

Comicvine ran a fan-voted feature where the top 50 comic book moments were listed. You can Google it. Guess who had the most mentions? Yep, Batman. Guess who's moment was number one on the list? Yep, Batman. Needless to say, there were many tears shed by some angry bat-haters.

Let's walk through a few more lists, just to get a taste of some of the greatest moments Batman has had. Admittedly there's some overlap here:

10 Incredibly Badass Batman Comic Moments

10 Iconic Batman Moments We Still Haven't Seen in The Movies

Batman's 10 Best Moments From Comic Books

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Now, are we all going to agree on everything? Of course we're not. But you're starting to get a sense of consensus, I hope. Batman is simply the most relevant superhero out there right now. It's been that way for several decades now, and it doesn't appear like that's going to change anytime soon.

tl;dr - Sure, he might be one of us already, but Batman is the greatest superhero to ever grace our planet.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Meh

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Every single one of these reason you've given are subjective and based on personal taste.

Not to mention despite the pretty pictures I actually prefer when people give reasons for their opinions with words so that I can better understand their stance on a given matter.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Believe what you want.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

#5  Edited By TDK_1997

This was awesome but I would have liked to see more of your opinion with words rather than pictures.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: @decoy_elite: Yeah, I was originally going to do a blog of sorts, but I figured I'd let the body of work do the talking. If the thread stays somewhat active, I'll add my rational in the future.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reignmaker: Because adding your rational isn't worth it if only 4 people read it? I don't get why you can't just say why you love Batman as a character so much.

Then again I think the thread title should be "Why I think Batman is the greatest" but whatever.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

@reignmaker: I still agree with you so I don't care. :D

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reignmaker: Completely agree and Batman believes that actions speak louder than Words so well done friend, you did an awesome job.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Good job man! But you made one mistake. Batman is great, but Wolverine is the best there is. Hehe

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I like your argument but I don't agree.

Still, good argument.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

Every single one of these reason you've given are subjective and based on personal taste.

Not to mention despite the pretty pictures I actually prefer when people give reasons for their opinions with words so that I can better understand their stance on a given matter.

Yep this

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By SideburnGuru

"The villains."

You mean the ones where you can sum up all their back stories by saying "Something bad happened to ___. Now they went evil.".

Actually, wait a minute. That's the same reason Batman even went good. That's why Dick Grayson went a hero. It's like every character in Batman's Universe has to use the same, exact template. Huh.

As for Gotham being the best? Hardly.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#14  Edited By GraniteSoldier

Venom > Batman. Opinions are awesome aren't they?

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why are people getting mad because someone said Batman is the best?

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

"best" is subjective, man. Although I do agree with most of these, you can't say he is the greatest ever because he has the "best" of something. It's all opinion-based

monarch2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By monarch2016

batman and superman are the greatest of all time

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Least objective fans

Avatar image for the_lunact_and_manic
    The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Agreed.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By WaveMotionCannon

@reignmaker: It's amazing! How can you wank and type at the same time? The skills you must have?!?

Seriously, like who you like. Meh

lolzstastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By lolzstastic

@reignmaker: It's amazing! How can you wank and type at the same time? The skills you must have?!?

I know right? Its a miracle of nature!

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reignmaker: Great post and good scans! Just further proof Bats is the best!

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By reignmaker

@rdclip said:

Least objective fans

Not sure how much more objective you can be than showing all the different mediums this character has utterly and completely dominated. If you know of someone else who has done the same thing in more decisive fashion, I'm all ears. I think there's a few who could at least be in the discussion.

@sideburnguru: That's the template for most longstanding comic book characters. It's the template for most new characters also. Furthermore, it's the template for a lot of the characters on your "favorites" list. Huh. Imagine that.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would've preferred a written post, but its good. batman is a great character.

hart7668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, Batman means as much to DC comics as Superman, so, there ya go. Certainly in terms of just pure numbers, Batman sells pretty darn well.

I will have to disagree on the video game front however. To me, Spider-Man is just made for video games. I still remember playing Spider-Man 2 on my GameCube. Sooooo much fun and soooo many hours played on that.

Avatar image for mynamewasdeleted
    MyNameWasDeleted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

gets spanked by Holmes!

Strongarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Strongarm

The ability to brainwash fans into thinking that he is the best there is

touche

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

No Caption Provided

Actually this image is one the reasons why I have a love hate relationship with batman. Love the gadgets, the suit, the villains, Gotham etc, etc, but get so wound up by stories where he has taken down superman like this, with superman bleeding from a kick. Also the fact that Batman fans constantly put him on a pedestal where he beats everyone through intelligence and planning, as if all the other superheroes are thick! The fact that he has no super powers is party kind of cool but partly a reason why he isn't my personal number one because I like my superheroes to at least have some kind of characteristic that lifts them physically above human level. Hence I love Wolverine because he isn't particularly super strong but has those claws and his skeleton meaning he can mix it toe, to toe with any foe (wow that rhymes,!)

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the record I think Batman is an excellent character and I've actually heard some very good arguments on why he is so well loved and timeless. It's why I'm disappointed by the lack of text in the OP.

Plus I dislike when Batman is treated like a flawless character when his flaws are part of what makes him interesting as a character.

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By JulieDC

My take:

1. Best Origin

Not sure if I agree. I like Superman's origin and I like how his gets fleshed out. With Batman, you seldom see that many stories that really delve into his psyche before he became Batman. Nearly all DC characters have a similar origin story where they lost a parent so Batman isn't really all that special in that regard. It would be nice to see more pre-Batman stories to flesh out his character like they do with Superman. However, his origin story does become interesting when he takes in Dick Grayson because then we can see how the two start out similar but because Dick is able to fight crime rather than sulk, he becomes a different person.

2. Best World

I'd give Metropolis the slight advantage

3. Best Supporting Cast

Fully agree and would go as far as to say that "supporting cast" does them a disservice because they are so much more than that. Writers need to embrace the Bat-family rather than under-write them or ignore them altogether. Solo Batman gets boring after a while.

4. Best Villains

Agreed

5. Best Powers

Disagree. For someone with no powers, he certainly seems to survive far more than a human body can take. That kind of annoys me a bit as it is his being powerless that is supposedly why he is more popular than Superman.

6. Best Comics

I dunno. I read some Green Lantern recently and when I was finished, I felt I had to go back to what I knew which was the Batman mythology. Maybe its because I am more invested in the Bat mythology and so its where my comfort zone is at.

7. Best Movies

Well, its not that his movies are necessarily better, its that every other movie tries to emulate what they think made Batman so successful and as a result, it ends up being garbage.

8. Best TV Shows

Can't argue there.

9. Best Video Games

Never played any superhero video games so I have no opinion on the matter.

10. Best Look

I prefer the Robin costumes over Batman's.

11. Best Moments

Agreed.

I will say however, that I prefer the Bat-family over Batman simply because Batman doesn't seem to really evolve as a character. I mean you look at Superman and the Flash, they date, get married. Even the Bat-family members develop as characters. Everyone but Batman seems to take the next step. I also hate how he pushes the Batfamily away, realizes he needs them, apologizes, only to do it again.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Cool post. Its all a matter of opinion. But if I may ask why * takes off glasses* do you have Daredevil as your avatar? Lol jk. Batman is one of the best superheroes I believe. Not THE best. Some may think superman is better, or spider man but as I said before it's all a matter of opinion.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously, like who you like. Meh

Anyone can wank while typing if they're determined enough. I noticed you didn't mention anyone who would be more deserving of the title though.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

You could've just said "because he's Batman" and the thread would be just as valid.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You could've just said "because he's Batman" and the thread would be just as valid.

That's not enough for some people.

Trollheim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best world

Gotham City. Gotham City PD. Arkham Asylum. Blackgate Prison. The Batcave. Wayne Manor. Batman's home turf, has a richer and more vibrant lore than any other hero in existence. This isn't a borrowed City where already existing historical occurrences and landmarks were simply copied. Everything was built from the ground up - panel by panel, story by story. In fact, it's become such a significant place in our imaginations that the City of New York affectionately calls itself "Gotham." Scott Snyder's acclaimed Court of the Owls run recently demonstrated how Gotham has a living, breathing personality all of its own. Jonah Hex's adventures in All-Star Western have also been touching on the history of this interesting place. But Gotham belongs to Batman. If there are other heroes in the city, it's because he lets them be there. If you want to raise the stakes and include Batman's JLA affiliations, the world gets even larger and more intricate, but I didn't do that here.

This looked like such a good post skimming over it but actually reading it... what the ****? Gotham is New York City, it ripped the name from New York, not the other way around, and the aesthetic was meant to match New York's night life. Now I don't even know if I want to read the rest of your thread.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By reignmaker

@trollheim said:

Best world

Gotham City. Gotham City PD. Arkham Asylum. Blackgate Prison. The Batcave. Wayne Manor. Batman's home turf, has a richer and more vibrant lore than any other hero in existence. This isn't a borrowed City where already existing historical occurrences and landmarks were simply copied. Everything was built from the ground up - panel by panel, story by story. In fact, it's become such a significant place in our imaginations that the City of New York affectionately calls itself "Gotham." Scott Snyder's acclaimed Court of the Owls run recently demonstrated how Gotham has a living, breathing personality all of its own. Jonah Hex's adventures in All-Star Western have also been touching on the history of this interesting place. But Gotham belongs to Batman. If there are other heroes in the city, it's because he lets them be there. If you want to raise the stakes and include Batman's JLA affiliations, the world gets even larger and more intricate, but I didn't do that here.

This looked like such a good post skimming over it but actually reading it... what the ****? Gotham is New York City, it ripped the name from New York, not the other way around, and the aesthetic was meant to match New York's night life. Now I don't even know if I want to read the rest of your thread.

Interesting catch. After a Google search, it turns out we were both wrong.

For NY, "Gotham" was actually first used to liken NYC to a notorious town in England of the same name, known for its foolish inhabitants. And as it turns out, the name Gotham in the comics came from an entry in a telephone book for "Gotham Jewelers."

Sources: http://gothamcenter.org/faq.shtml

http://www.nypl.org/blog/2011/01/25/so-why-do-we-call-it-gotham-anyway

If you think this oversight of New York trivia somehow undermines my entire post on Batman, you need to try harder. I'll edit the post though just to retain accuracy. Thanks for pointing that out.

Trollheim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Trollheim

My intent wasn't to undermine your post. I love Batman, but the information was just wrong and initially turned me off reading the rest of the post, since one could assume if there was blatantly wrong information early in the post, that it may very well continue to be full of misinformation.

I did end up reading it though, and I agree with your points, although "best look" is kind of... eh. Batman's look has varied a bit, and some of his costumes look fairly dorky, but I feel like right now he probably rocks the cape and mask better than any other hero.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By entropy_aegis

I agree on the shows,movies,world and I guess moments but supporting cast,games,villains could be strongly debated,admittedly though only the X-men and Spider-man are the proper contenders for those categories.

Origin and looks are subjective.

JoeChill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very well written

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
    deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome reasons! Personally batman is my third greatest superhero with thor and superman taking second and first. The only thing that puts me off batman personally is one of his so called "Powers". Prep time. For me this is the one thing that annoys me about batman and makes him stale. It makes him seem unbeatable which in my opinion ruins the appeal. The one thing people say that they hate about character's like superman and Maritan manhunter or some other power house is that there to overpowered. Yet were supposed to belevie that one man can have plans that never fail or can never be countered. To me it just seems silly but again this is my opinion .Plus he's portrayed to be never wrong. One of my favourite stories of batman was earth one. It was one of my favourite stories because it reinforced the fact that batman is human. He can be hurt. He can be wrong. Plus and please don't go mad at me for this but i enjoyed green lantern : rebirth because of Hal sucker punching batman. You can say it was PIS or that Johns prefers GL to batman but it just made me smile because it shows that batman is not the perfect batgod he is made out to be. Also i never quite got the "relatable" aspect to him. The ONLY relatable thing between me and him is that were both human. Other than that i can't find any other reason. Hell i find superman's secret identity more relatable. Again i must stress this is my opinion.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
    NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Silver Surfer is the greatest ever

Avatar image for mynamewasdeleted
    MyNameWasDeleted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman fanboys are so

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome reasons! Personally batman is my third greatest superhero with thor and superman taking second and first. The only thing that puts me off batman personally is one of his so called "Powers". Prep time. For me this is the one thing that annoys me about batman and makes him stale. It makes him seem unbeatable which in my opinion ruins the appeal. The one thing people say that they hate about character's like superman and Maritan manhunter or some other power house is that there to overpowered. Yet were supposed to belevie that one man can have plans that never fail or can never be countered. To me it just seems silly but again this is my opinion .Plus he's portrayed to be never wrong. One of my favourite stories of batman was earth one. It was one of my favourite stories because it reinforced the fact that batman is human. He can be hurt. He can be wrong. Plus and please don't go mad at me for this but i enjoyed green lantern : rebirth because of Hal sucker punching batman. You can say it was PIS or that Johns prefers GL to batman but it just made me smile because it shows that batman is not the perfect batgod he is made out to be. Also i never quite got the "relatable" aspect to him. The ONLY relatable thing between me and him is that were both human. Other than that i can't find any other reason. Hell i find superman's secret identity more relatable. Again i must stress this is my opinion.

Yeah, there's some people who weren't too happy with the "Morrison effect" that happened to Batman in the late 90's and early 00's. I think Waid in particular deserves a lot of credit for "buffing" Batman with his memorable Tower of Babel story. Truthfully, I love all those stories. Those stories allow Batman to exist and thrive in the most overpowered universe in comics. If we can give someone super speed or super strength, why can't we create a character who's power is to be the perfect human?

Those who dislike "Bat god" however can take comfort in the New 52. Bats really hasn't been as strong in his showings lately. Pak and Johns both seem intent to expose him for the mortal he is, and frankly Bats has made several mistakes even under Snyder's pen. We may be seeing a shift back to true street-leveler. Granted, people who grew up with the Pre-52 are still going to argue that he's unbeatable.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soldierofel: I respect your opinion, but I find Batman more relatable than Supes. Like Batman, I have emotional issues and demons that have plagued me throughout my life and I find him overcoming them through helping others very relatable and inspirational.

concust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

everyones entitled to an opinion. mine happens to be that you are wrong and the green lanterns are the greatest ever

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@concust said:

everyones entitled to an opinion. mine happens to be that you are wrong and the green lanterns are the greatest ever

I'm ok with that. Care to explain what makes GL the greatest ever?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.