Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23621 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Why Are All The Heroes in New York?

• 52 results
    No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here

Gotham?
     Gotham?
    There’s an interesting article in the New York Times' City Room blog from Peter Gutiérrez titled “Why So Many Superheroes Are Drawn to New York” (and thanks to Bleeding Cool for the head's up).  He’s moderating a panel discussion at the New York Center for Independent Publishing tonight with Danny Fingeroth, Gene Kanenberg Jr., Frank Tieri and Billy Tucci titled “New York, the Super-City.” The answer to the question Gutiérrez puts forth in his title isn’t that surprising.

A choice snippet of how he lays it down…
     Metropolis?
     Metropolis?

Even beyond its physical architecture, New York City provided a perfect setting for superheroic exploits. As a financial center, its concentration of wealth could act as a powerful magnet for bigger-than-life criminals. As a global city, it was ripe for international intrigue. And as a fashion mecca and a famously tolerant place, it established a social environment in which saviors of humankind dressed in flamboyant homemade costumes could go about their business.

He's smiling now. Wait'll he hits the 405.
     He's smiling now. Wait'll he hits the 405.

I’ll agree that skyscrapers - - and rows and rows and rows of them - - are requisite for a super hero. Spider-Man wouldn’t really work in LA given that there’s really no concentrated downtown here for him to swing around in. The Flash could actually work well in LA, given how his super-speed would make for some fast (and exciting) navigation of the sprawl. Imagine Barry Allen having to book it from Malibu to Burbank to save Iris’ life and running into traffic on the 101 along the way - - now that would create some conflict.

A very informative read...
     A very informative read...

Given that some of these characters have been around for seventy years, it’s easy to lose sight of the context of their creation and how the lives of their creators shaped their design. I recommend any serious fan check out the non-fiction book THE TEN-CENT PLAGUE, which details the origins of the industry and its struggle with censorship in the 50s. Among other points the book stresses is that the creators of all these characters were largely young New Yorkers who were the children of recent immigrants. Obviously, when they write a story about these fantastic characters that they’ve created, they’re going to set it in their own neighborhood.

Or is this Gotham?
     Or is this Gotham?
    Gutiérrez also brings up that Gotham City began as New York City and I suppose people are going to call me up on eating my words about Gotham standing in for Chicago. I’ll have to put aside the Midwest bluster aside then and give you guys the serious take, now… Gotham City is whatever you want to be. It doesn’t  actually exist. In my mind, it’s fun to notice the parallels to Chicago’s art deco architecture and history of flamboyant super-criminals that can be found in BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES and Neal Adams Batman run. But you have just as much license to see it as New York or New Jersey or even Philadelphia.

He's taking it over the pond.
     He's taking it over the pond.
    Having moved around the world a lot myself, I do think this brings up a challenge to creators to diversify their settings and realize that all-too-often the generic American city their stories are set in is just a stand-in for New York. I tip my hat to Millar for realizing that himself and setting his own super-hero movie in Scotland for a change. I hope more will follow suit and show us how superheroes can work outside the Tri-State area’s archetype. 

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia Comics.   Watch out for the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover collection this March - - available for pre-order now on Amazon.com.

Azareus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Azareus

'Cause you americans are egomaniacs.

Aerik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Aerik
    @Azareus: "Cause you americans are egomaniacs."

...and way cooler
    Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bruce Vain
    @Aerik:
    that's right ;-)
    cold_fuzion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By cold_fuzion
    @Aerik said:
    " @Azareus: "Cause you americans are egomaniacs."  ...and way cooler "
    And at least 85% more awesome.
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Gylan Thomas

Any one else see the irony in the responses to Azareus? 
    Does that proof hime right or was it intentional on the part of the responders? 
    :P

Azareus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Azareus
    @Gylan Thomas: I see it :D
    SUPER-MAN 23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 789

#7  Edited By SUPER-MAN 23

It is funny that you don't see Spider-man in a Batman comic since Gotham city is in new york

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By No_name_here

And the crowd goes...

U! S! A!

U! S! A!

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bruce Vain
    @Tom Pinchuk said:
    "And the crowd goes...

U! S! A!

U! S! A!

"

Lol I had to do it.
    Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Green ankh

Scoobypuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Scoobypuff
    @Tom Pinchuk: 
    And the crowd goes...

U! S! A!

U! S! A!

cuz it's the only thing they can spell!!! lol j/k
    RedK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RedK
    @Scoobypuff said:
    " @Tom Pinchuk: 
    And the crowd goes...

U! S! A!

U! S! A!

cuz it's the only thing they can spell!!! lol j/k "
    Hilarious
    Avatar image for emerald_warrior
    Emerald Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Emerald Warrior
    @Gylan Thomas said:
    " Any one else see the irony in the responses to Azareus? Does that proof hime right or was it intentional on the part of the responders? :P "
    LOL... INDEED!
    Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By Moomin123

I'm suprised that all of the Marvel heroes don't run into each other at the same time, almost all of them are in NY.

RoninKane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RoninKane

I can't remember who made the quote,but it said Metropolis was New York during the day and Gotham was New York at night. Tom don't feel bad about the Chicago/Gotham thing, I thought the same until I found out Jim Gordon transfered to Gotham from Chicago. 

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By goldenkey

It's obvious New York is gonna be the staple for Metropolis because of just the size of it.  The endlessness that are the scrapers of N.Y. but if writers want to pick the city that for their character that is most vulnerable then in a way it should be Chicago.  It doesn't touch N.Y. scale on size, but it's bigger then every other city thats loaded with sky scrapers.  Sure L.A. is known as the second biggest city in the USA but that more for area.  If you want to go for distance then you have to consider what people around Chicago call the Metroland area and the Metroland area competes with L.A. all day long, but the point I was trying to make is vulnerablility.  Chicago is know for it's corruption, the nation sees it all day long on WGN, (I've mentioned this before) but what people to don't take into account is the O'hare airport is roughly 12 miles from down town Chicago, and O'Hare is the largest     airport in the WORLD (usually taking the honors for Atlanta 2 out of 3 years) but also the nations highways, and traintracks all run thru Chicago.  Look at a train map and it looks like the USA veigns are all running to Chicago and that Chicago is the hear.  Someone attacks Chicago with the big enough bomb and you're taking out what is debatebly the 2nd largest poplulated area in the U.S. but you cripple any kind of transportation regarding land.  There are more fortune 500 company base of operations and leading warehouses for fortune 500 companies within 20 miles of Chicago because of this, and because it cuts costs dramaticlly when shipping half a country then a whole country.  If your warehouse is in LA or NY and you have to ship to LA or NY you can cut that cost in half.  McDonalds and Motorolla are both resident in the Metroland area. The scarriest part of the area tho is in a town called Darien that is roughly 15 miles west from Chicago and on a good day if you're standing outside facing east you can see the Chicago skyline from Darien or at leat the Sears (Im not calling it Willis) Tower, and the Hancock and event the 2 buildings they used for Wayne Enterprises.  In Darien there is a Government company called Argonne National Labratory.  This is the where the very fist atomic bomb was assembled.  In this building it known to house every evil little germ and virus that make your eyeballs inplode, and what makes the building spooky are the white deer that are outside.  It's not a rumor I have seen them.  White deer have really week imune systems so if something is leaking they die off quickly and thats the alarm system use.  My point is that  a good enough sized bomb put in the right place can do more devastaion in Chicago then anywhere else in the known world.  communications, population, virus, transportation, done deal
    Nyogtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Nyogtha

This why I find it interesting that the hub of the Marvel Universe is in New York, but right now the event "seven years in the making" is in Oklahoma.

simsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By simsey

well there american comics so it would be stupid not to set em in major cities in america i mean i havn't never been to the states but i could tell what time square looks like there very easy cities to look and go dats new york ? why coz his on top on the empire state builing plus from origins the writers prob never seen as much of the world as u can today thru the internet there people on here remember a time when dial up or even no such thing as the internet and theres people only know the internet hi speed broadband and bitch coz the hav to wait 20 seconds for a page to load it all plays apart of cities in comics easy reference points for the reader
    Adam Michaels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Adam Michaels

I always figured most of Marvel's heroes were in NY because when they were created by Stan and some other writers, they only knew of New York City and not really about other towns. It was just familiar territory for them. And now, so many years later, I guess it's too late to have them relocated, with a few exceptions here or there. But I always figured that it was always because the creators were only familiar with NYC.  

When I think of it, it's rather ridiculous that so many heroes are concentrated in one city. But I tend to suspend my disbelief on that matter and roll with it. 

This is one aspect I credit DC with by spreading the heroes around. They're all in different locations handling their own threats.

Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Gregomasta

Ahem, Chicago is more Gotham then New York will ever be.

cascadeking09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By cascadeking09
    @SUPER-MAN 23 said:
    " It is funny that you don't see Spider-man in a Batman comic since Gotham city is in new york "
    gotham isnt in new york and also isnt in the same universe so it wouldnt matter if it was.
    Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bruce Vain
    @cascadeking09:
    Technically Gotham was originally NYC , but was later changed to Gotham.
    Suigetsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Suigetsu

Deadpool used to be in San Fran.. but now all the super marvel pretentious self important bastards are going to New York.

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

The Travel Channel once did a documentary called 
    "Marvel Superheroes guide to New York City"  It was really cool.
    They went site seeing around New York and pointed out spots from Marvel Comics history like Peter's neighborhood, or Dr. Strange's apartment, the two bridges used for Gwen's death (since it was drawn as one and Stan called it the other), the newspaper used as a probable basis for the Daily Bugle, and the most likely building the Avenger's mansion was based on, as well as Hell's Kitchen, and so on.
    I keep looking for the DVD, but they haven't made it for DVD yet.

d0npierre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By d0npierre

Spidey in Brussels. 

That's like Fries with mayonaise. 

Or am I wrong ?

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most of the marvel ones where as simple as back in the day, the Marvel staff lived and worked in NY.
    so thats what they we're looking out there window at and drawing. anyone reading Marvel, especially since Civil War knows that isnt the current state of affairs however and the characters are spread out over the US, and world even (just ask the X-Men).

daveydavey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By daveydavey

"He's smiling now. Wait'll he hits the 405." 
    hahahahhaha I hate the 405   
    Avatar image for ninjasquirrel01
    ninjasquirrel01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ninjasquirrel01

Stan Lee put almost everybody in New York because he was from New York and living in there at the time, so it was really easy for him to plot out where everyone was. 
    A lot of cool stuff from Marvel came from Stan's laziness. Alliterative names. Mutants. The Marvel Method.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Primmaster64

Yeah...i always wonder about that.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30  Edited By InnerVenom123

I love NYC.
    Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By Theodore

Gotham reminds me of a bigger Providence, RI

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32  Edited By Gylan Thomas

@Bruce Vain 

You Queen were an English band? Right? :P

jacobyLIVE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jacobyLIVE

Well when you think about it...Spidey wouldn't do well anywhere else. Without a highly concentrated amount of crime,superheroes would just be flamboyant guys in tights. Also,where else are you gonna be aloud to wreck half the down and not get punished for it?! ;P

defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Bruce Vain :
    how dare you play along with a sarcastic joke in a manner that a person missing the point
    could construe your words as a literal inter-national bash and lack of intellect!
    i'm telling mom about your shenanigans!
    JaYDaFuRy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By JaYDaFuRy

@Gregomasta said:

"Ahem, Chicago is more Gotham then New York will ever be. "

you dont see no heroes running around chicago man....   
    if batman was to visit  marvel he would never call gotham chicago

as a dude from NYC, all my favorite dudes is from new york and or work in new york the most.
    Deadpool- Canada, Sanfran, NOW New York , and he never leaves :) 
    Spiderman- Queens, but he runs downtown manhattan, and occasionaly youll see him uptown.  
    MoonKnight- chicago( nobody wants to stay there), but hes in new york now  
    Daredevil- runs Manhattan ( hells kitchen or chelsea they call it now )
    Scarlet spider
    Venom- born in san fran but moved to NY where he was raised 
    Captian america- NY,NY 
    Punisher- Queens
    Darkhawk- Queens

Nighthrasher- NY,NY 
    Human torch - Long Island
    Invisible Women - Long Island 
    Iron Man- long Island
    This list would keep going too :)

Meteorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#36  Edited By Meteorite
    Sigh....Never any stories set in Australian cities.
    Gothic Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#37  Edited By Gothic Storm
    @Adam Michaels said:
    " I always figured most of Marvel's heroes were in NY because when they were created by Stan and some other writers, they only knew of New York City and not really about other towns. It was just familiar territory for them. And now, so many years later, I guess it's too late to have them relocated, with a few exceptions here or there. But I always figured that it was always because the creators were only familiar with NYC.   When I think of it, it's rather ridiculous that so many heroes are concentrated in one city. But I tend to suspend my disbelief on that matter and roll with it.  This is one aspect I credit DC with by spreading the heroes around. They're all in different locations handling their own threats.  "
    I agree completely. Most writers write about what is familiar to them. A great example of this is a large portion of Stephen King's works. His early stuff was generally about a main character who did what? Yeah... was a writer! Where did several of the books take place? Yep... the New England states (where King has spent much of his life). 

When Marvel does try and spread their heroes around, they have to come up with a creative name such as "Avengers West Coast". I'm a Marvel fan at heart and always liked the fact they use REAL city names instead of made up ones. That is, until I began writing my own stuff and found myself following in DC's footprints. I still have New York City in my universe, but I usually only use it as a launching pad for some of my stories. I eventually move characters away from there since it's way too 'watered down' when it comes to TV, movies, and comic books. (That was one really good thing about the movie 2012... We didn't have to watch NYC get destroyed in a movie again *yawn*. 
    Hippygoweee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Hippygoweee
    Its easy,and even a moron can see it.
    The Crime rate in NYC Went up A long time ago,When Batman comics were being made,And they started to usually base Heroes in NYC,Because they are Heroes.. CRIME IN NYC..Get it...
    Hippygoweee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Hippygoweee
    @Gregomasta:Chicago Ain't got Shit on New york,Brotha.
    Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

No Caption Provided
    Wizard's Guide to Marvel's New York
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ssejllenrad

Spidey in NYC???? Heeeeellllllllllllll noooo!

He lives in Japan!!!!

Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Gregomasta
    @Hippygoweee:  I guess I forgot the last two batman movies were filmed in New Y...............OH THAT'S RIGHT, Chicago.
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lmao@NY Vs Chicago thing happening in this thread.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ssejllenrad

To all who argue whether it's NYC or the Windy Cit: Here's a statement on the origin of Gotham. It's from wikipedia so it for you to decide its credibility.

Writer Bill Finger commented on the naming of the city and reasoning for changing Batman's locale from Manhattan to a fictional city: "Originally I was going to call Gotham City 'Civic City'. Then I tried Capital City, then Coast City. Then I flipped through the phone book and spotted the name 'Gotham Jewelers' and said, 'That's it', Gotham City. We didn't call it New York because we didn't want anybody in any city to identify with it." 

So Manhattan was the inspiration after all. I myself would want it to be Chicago. It's more dramatic that way. Hope Batman was real and around during Capone's days. Let's just see if Scarface would have been as powerful as he was.

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By They Killed Cap!

bring some heros to CHICAGO...
    Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#47  Edited By Illyana Rasputin
    @Meteorite said:
    "Sigh....Never any stories set in Australian cities. "

I would be floored if a comic book was ever set in Aberdeen, Washington.
    Avatar image for the_sharp_dressed_lady
    The Sharp Dressed Lady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's see how much of that is on the money.

Stan Lee, Bob Kane, Bill Finger and other comic creators and super guys were situated or had their business connections in New York City at the time. Marvel and DC, and various of their predecessor incarnations and company names, were located in New York City. Stan and Marvel relocated to and opened production offices in LA, I remember not long after the time of The Incredible Hulk television show success. After success with Universal it was a relationship they kept pretty well. Also, The West Coast Avengers started for much of this reason to have a West Coast presence. If The Great Lakes Avengers had been taken for more than an occasional entry, they might have been routine, too.

Much of the idea of New York City being a location was a carry from the pulp fiction publication trade, and books and printing, the growth of radio and the success of pulp characters, including Doc Savage and The Shadow.

Wonder Woman, from William Marston, was situated in the very real world of Washington, DC.

Dick Tracy, from Chester Gould, was situated in a definitely alternate Chicago.

Many comic characters were based in alternate versions of actual cities.

Gardner Fox would have Hawkman, his Thanagarian policeman, patrol in Midway City and St. Roch, Louisiana.

Central City, that greatest and grandest staple of comic cities, and Keystone City were the locations for Flash, also from Gardner Fox, and numerous other comic characters, including The Spirit, from Will Eisner. Central City would eventually become the St. Louis to the Kansas City of Keystone City. Central City, again, would be the name of the original location for The Fantastic Four and Mr. Fantastic / Reed Richards until that was changed to New York City, helping to initiate the great Marvel trend.

To separate Metropolis from Gotham City in the DC Universe, it was often suggested that Metropolis stood in for Chicago and Gotham City represented Boston.

As well, Captain Marvel, the SHAZAM version from Bill Parker, was based in Fawcett City.

Even other comic locations such as Smallville, Bigville, Midville, Kandor, Kryptonopolis, Champion City and Riverdale, and all the map, nonwithstanding, could be said to be drawn from actual locations.

There are no substitutes.

"Tolerance is the eternal virtue through which good conquers evil and truth vanquishes untruth." ~ J. Edgar Hoover

"New York City... nice town." ~ Allen Dulles

eserrano05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49  Edited By eserrano05

chicago is great town i enjoyed myself especially the taste of chicago and i agree its a city that should be used more but i prefer new york
    RATZGobbler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By RATZGobbler

Gotham is what new york was called back in the day.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.