Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23537 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Why all the Nolan hate?

• 182 results
    Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@ElGUitarist: Explain that to the BatGOD fans

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152  Edited By Jack Donaghy

The thing I find funny about the people who hate Nolans movies is that they usually hate them because they're "too realistic" they want Batman to be a super genius detective, and do blatant superhuman things. Yet when Batman DOES do those things we hear from these same people that the creators are Bat wanking or that he's become BatGod and is too hard to relate to, it appears Nolan haters don't know what they want.

zexion_armando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#153  Edited By zexion_armando

I hate Nolan due to his fandom. Nolan fans are so disgustingly snobbish and condescending. Not saying Burton is any better, since a lot of his more vocal fans are idiots too.

Plus I think Nolan is pretentious and boring. I fell asleep during half his movies, and despise the rest, lol. Batman Begins has been the only Batman movie I ever stopped watching in the middle of cause of how boring it was. Plus the camera work was too dark, making most action scenes hard to understand.

The Dark Knight is only good cause of 2 and a half great performances, lol. Heath, Gary, and Aaron are what keep the movie from being a bunch of unbearable nonsense

As for The Dark Knight Rises... ugh... The silly, bloated plot is what really killed the movie.

Plus Bale as an actor gets on my nerves, lol. the voice is yes, annoying and stupid. But even then, there is nothing suave or interesting about Bale in either Bruce or Batman roles. I guess that could be said about a lot of Batman's interpretations, since very rarely is Batman ever complimented on HIS own character, and not the character of his allies/enemies.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jack Donaghy: Does any hater knows?

@zexion_armando: A bunch of letters, but you never explain why you hated the movies.

Is just the same that most of people say, isnt a Batman comic book.

zexion_armando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#155  Edited By zexion_armando

@DeathpooltheT1000 said:

@Jack Donaghy: Does any hater knows?

@zexion_armando: A bunch of letters, but you never explain why you hated the movies.

Is just the same that most of people say, isnt a Batman comic book.

Are you incapable of reading?

Unless you want a scene by scene synopsis of my hatred lol?

I dont want a comic book on screen, Avengers already got that covered. But I don't want whatever Nolan pulls out of his ass.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#156  Edited By SC  Moderator

Nolan is the king of gods and if you disagree your obviously a jealous racist who beats up blind children with rotting red meat and then and then the smell of the meat attracts lions that eat the blind children. Hah those poor jealous idiots who don't wear Nolan Pajamas out in public everyday without washing them. How misguided are those haters with their jealous hatred that burns in pretty shades of envy and pettiness and orange.  

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#157  Edited By Lvenger

Nolan's Bat trilogy is overrated. Get over it.

thehummingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#158  Edited By thehummingbird

@SC:

not to mention said person also hunts endangered sloth species with the bones of gophers, and summons the tiger into the open area by playing "call me maybe" on the harmonica. a tiger's only true weakness, for all you ignorant nolan haters who obviously would have no idea of such key and obvious facts of life.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#159  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @thehummingbird:  Plus they go around to all the restrooms and steal the hand sanitizer lotions then they smear it on the movie posters of other movies that are not THE BEST MOVIES ever, then they go online and flag Jori fan fictions then write fan fictions about Nolan and Ronald Mcdonald or RoNoNald because they know deep down inside the glory, but then they cry and then go other places and hate hate hate cause thats all they can do. That and cry. Tears of jealously and haterade. Like gaterade but spelt wrong.   
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zexion_armando: No, you just say isnt a comic book.

The same that most of hater say, but like always people forget is a movie, Watchmen was a comic book made a movie and pretty much failed, 300 for some reason is getting a bunch of insane hate, even when there is tons

@Lvenger said:

Yes, is overrated, but the Marvel film universe is more overrated and dont talk about Avengers, that is the most overrated movie since Titanic.

@thehummingbird: @SC: And people say i am weird because i do random things.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By Jack Donaghy

@Lvenger said:

Same could be said about the 2 and a half hour "funny" quip and explosion fest Whedon directed, what's your point?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By Lvenger

@Jack Donaghy said:

@Lvenger said:

Same could be said about the 2 and a half hour "funny" quip and explosion fest Whedon directed, what's your point?

I'm not saying the Avengers is a better film by any means. Both are different films and are brilliant for different reasons. However, the story and plot holes in TDKR are glaring to me and when it comes to which film I'd rather watch, ultimately I'd choose the Avengers as it's more fun to watch if I'm honest. Plus putting together several superheroes on the screen along with building up this film is a significant achievement, one I value more than what Nolan has done for Batman. Oh and the film was only 2hr15, not 2 and a half hours.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By Jack Donaghy

Well the Avengers wasn't even more fun to watch imo I know most people say it was more entertaining but not for me, I liked it but there were certain parts that dragged making the movie feel really long. The Hellecarrier scene was a little too long, couple that with a thin plot and underdeveloped characters (Hawkeye and Maria Hill) and you have a good but overrated movie. I know I sound like I didn't like the movie I did just not as much as most other people did.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By Eternal19

Nolan ruined nearly every charecter in the movies except for joker.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Lvenger: So making a rip off to Akira Kurosawa Master piece Seven Samurai, with more CGI and less character development, is harder that making a trilogy of movies with original plots.

That makes sense.

I cant belive people dont notice how much Avenger take from Seven Samurai.

@Jack Donaghy: The movie had almost no character development at all.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By Lvenger

@DeathpooltheT1000: There's plenty of character development as the members don't get along at first. Evidently the plot is deeper in TDKR but Whedon balances the Avengers' story far better than Nolan did in his films. Oh and Nolan's depiction of Batman is not accurate in the slightest. There's no element of his deductive abilities or intelligence. He just interrogates people slurring threats like "Where are they?" and "Where's the trigger?" Yeah very original. NOT. I'm not a big fan of what Nolan did to Bruce Wayne/Batman. The only reason I enjoy his films is his depiction of the villains and the supporting cast. The Batman in those films is nowhere near as compelling a character as the comic book Batman or any other depiction of Batman in the media. For a film trilogy about Batman, he's not the reason I like those films. Not even close. Bale's portrayal of Batman and the story written around Bruce Wayne doesn't come close to capturing the essence of Batman's true character.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#167  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Lvenger: Don't bother mate. Even if you acknowledge that Nolan's films contain the better quality of the two, you'll still chased down with a stick if you don't agree.

Personally, I believe Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are FAR better films than The Dark Knight Rises. The film throws out all consistency that the prequels built and almost every scene produces a new plot hole that makes it impossible not to scoff at. It's not a bad film and the acting, soundtrack, and production are all fantastic but to me, Nolan dropped the ball.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Lvenger

@Deranged Midget: I know. All I'm saying is that I prefer to watch the Avengers. They're different, incomparable films. And agreed about TDKR. I guess the curse of the third film is still withstanding on superhero trilogies.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Lvenger said:

@Deranged Midget: I know. All I'm saying is that I prefer to watch the Avengers. They're different, incomparable films. And agreed about TDKR. I guess the curse of the third film is still withstanding on superhero trilogies.

And there's nothing with preferring one film over another. It is called a personal opinion for a reason. I preferred the Avengers over TDKR. Was it a better film? No, but it was far more enjoyable to me and I'm not going to try subjecting someone to my logic. That's just asinine and completely immature.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Lvenger

@Deranged Midget said:

@Lvenger said:

And there's nothing with preferring one film over another. It is called a personal opinion for a reason. I preferred the Avengers over TDKR. Was it a better film? No, but it was far more enjoyable to me and I'm not going to try subjecting someone to my logic. That's just asinine and completely immature.

Exactly. Some people think pizza's the greatest food in the world, others think it's Chinese food. Same applies to films. I have my reasons for preferring the Avengers, others have reasons for preferring TDKR. We're all allowed preference after all.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By Deranged Midget

@Lvenger: And it should be left at that. It's not even as if the films are comparable in the first place.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By JonSmith

People hate on Nolan's movies? I thought they were one of those things that were universally loved. Like puppies.

But seriously: I've said this before, I'll say it again: People go to a Batman movie looking forward to a BATMAN MOVIE. Nolan's Batman films are NOT Batman movies. Do they have Batman characters? Yes. Are they well portrayed? Eh, usually. Are the movies absolutely incredibly awesome? Oh, most definitely. But they're not, strictly speaking, superhero movies. They're crime dramas, tragedies, but not a superhero flick. Nolan has elevated it to a higher art form, but at the cost of losing that fundamental air of absurdity that comes with a comic book movie. So yes, Nolan's Batman films are fantastic. But they're not really Batman films. That may be the source of the hate, especially with Marvel doing so well in that department over the years.

BEFORE ANYONE SAYS ANYTHING, I'm not saying the Marvel movies are better films in their own right, I'm saying they're better COMIC BOOK SUPERHERO movies. They nail the characters with little to no artistic license needed or taken. They're about as close as one can get to putting a comic book in front of a camera and filming turning the pages for two hours. They have that air of absurdity Nolan's Batman misses: All the characters KNOW that they live in a world where guys can fly in armored suits, a super soldier can be thawed out, and a puny scientist can turn into one of the most powerful beings on the face of the Earth. Hell, there's a Norse God in there. And they all just accept it as 'Yeah, it's a bit whacked, but hey, it's our world.' Nolan's Batman is SO serious all the time. An eccentric billionaire playboy dresses up in an armored suit to take on criminals-

No, not you, Tony. Go away.

Anyway. Everything that occurs is taken without surprise or even the slightest questioning of it. It's "These guys are CRAZY. Them acting so isn't surprising." all the time. So when a guy dresses up in clown make up and starts killing people calling himself the 'Joker', no ones surprised. Nobody panics. Because it's all part of the plan.

Sorry. Moving on. That's the reason as I see it for the Nolan hate: Nolan's films aren't the Batman movies the titular character would promise. It's not a comic book movie, it's a crime drama. While that might fit for Batman, when compared to the ideal comic book superhero movies of Marvel, the clash is hard to stomach for some people.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#173  Edited By InnerVenom123

Because some people are stupid.

Gibbet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Gibbet

Because he's the director Movies deserve, but not the one it needs right now.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By Jack Donaghy

I've noticed that on the internet if you say you actually enjoyed Nolan's Batman movies more than the Avengers people think you're some kind of elitist or snob who doesn't like "real comic book movies" because the Avengers is more "fun" (lol I hate when people say that isn't fun subjective anyway?) they feel even if you think Nolan's movies are technically better movies you MUST think the Avengers was the most fun and entertaining film ever created, and the notion that some people don't think it was that entertaining is unbelievable to some people.

From what I've noticed online at least, the Avengers gets a little more praise than BB, TDK or TDKR. Those movies get a lot too but usually mixed in with a lot of "but it was boring, too serious, not enough fun, too dark (as if they're films about the Holocaust), not comic booky enough"etc. There's a lot of hate for Nolanites yet none for the equally annoying and obnoxious Whedonites, I wonder why.

TheCowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By TheCowman

@Jack Donaghy said:

There's a lot of hate for Nolanites yet none for the equally annoying and obnoxious Whedonites, I wonder why.

Eh, I think yer imagining more persecution than there actually is. Most of the people I know who criticize Nolan mainly do so because those who love him are so quick to brush off any criticism as being "fanboy whining". I have my problems with Nolan's Batman movies. I think JonSmith put it best by saying that Nolan made great movies starring Batman, but maybe not great Batman movies. Nothing really surprising there; whenever you go with a different interpretation of the source material you're going to lose a little bit of the magic that material had.

Of course, I have major issues with Whedon too. I didn't really like Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Weird, right? His run on Astonishing X-Men left me flat too. But he knocked the Avengers movie outta the park, if for no other reason than it knocked the "comic books don't translate to movies" argument down a few more pegs. If they can make those huge, ridiculous horns on Loki's helmet work, then Bane's luchador mask is small potatoes.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By Jack Donaghy

@TheCowman said:

@Jack Donaghy said:

There's a lot of hate for Nolanites yet none for the equally annoying and obnoxious Whedonites, I wonder why.

Eh, I think yer imagining more persecution than there actually is. Most of the people I know who criticize Nolan mainly do so because those who love him are so quick to brush off any criticism as being "fanboy whining". I have my problems with Nolan's Batman movies. I think JonSmith put it best by saying that Nolan made great movies starring Batman, but maybe not great Batman movies. Nothing really surprising there; whenever you go with a different interpretation of the source material you're going to lose a little bit of the magic that material had.

Of course, I have major issues with Whedon too. I didn't really like Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Weird, right? His run on Astonishing X-Men left me flat too. But he knocked the Avengers movie outta the park, if for no other reason than it knocked the "comic books don't translate to movies" argument down a few more pegs. If they can make those huge, ridiculous horns on Loki's helmet work, then Bane's luchador mask is small potatoes.

I understand your points I'm just saying it seems that fans of the Nolan movies get more hate than Avengers fans. Anyone who likes one of Nolan's films is instantly labeled a "Nolanite" I mean sure there are a lot of annoying fans on both sides it's just that Nolanites are the only annoying one's people choose to acknowledge.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#178  Edited By entropy_aegis

@Lvenger said:

Your opinion.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#179  Edited By entropy_aegis

@Eternal19 said:

Nolan ruined nearly every charecter in the movies except for joker.

He gave the best Bane ever,and the only time Selina was better written was in INC(which only lasted 2 issues).

As for the OP,comicbook fanboys are retards with myopic views on the characters,ignore them and move on.TDKR is on route to making a billion dollars without 3-D and a tragedy to boot.It has an average rating of 8/10 at RT and 78/100 at Metacritric.No matter how much comicbook tards want it to fail it's still critically a notch below TDK and above BB.

As for why a certain vocal group of fanboys want it to fail,well I'll just give some reasons.

A) As I've already mentioned myopic views,take a look at the negativity over Hathaway and Hardy.Simply cause one was'nt buff enough and other did'nt have big boobs.Never mind the fact that both Bane and Catwoman were written light years better than the mediocre talent that they've been subjected to currently(Bane in every media and with the new-52 even the comics,Catwoman in comics).

B)Nolan fanboys may also have something to do with it,they do get overly arrogant and this causes the haters to literally watch the movies only to find flaws or subject them to preposterous tests/standards.

C) Comicbook fans who for some reason think Nolan is the reason they're not getting a JLA movie,seriously WTF?

The most hilarious thing about these haters is the way they keep contradicting themselves lol,on one hand they lose no opportunity to crap on the realism and yet their problems with the movies eventually boil down to "oh look how can a microwave emitter exist,does'nt make sense" or "how can Batman heal his leg with a device"

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Lvenger

@entropy_aegis said:

@Lvenger said:

Your opinion.

True but it's quite a wide spread opinion. Though I do like a lot of elements of the films. So allow me to rectify the statement. Nolan's depiction of Batman is overrated. That's my true gripe with the Nolan films. I hate what Nolan did to Batman/Bruce Wayne.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheCowman: Look at Avenger, isnt a comic book getting into a screen, if it was that, science would be science and magic would be magic, the in the Marvel movie universe magic is science, Loki isnt using the same costume, the helmet isnt the same, the horns worked because of that, Thor and the rest use another type of costumes, not only spandex, people see Avengers like if it was a comic book in the screen and dont see the huge changes they had to do to get that into screen.

You cant get a comic book into a movie, because in the moment you hear the character speack and are moving by themselves and your imagination dont do all that work, things change.

@Jack Donaghy: When you like Nolan, people belive all type of crazy thing about you, because Nolan is to damn dark an serious and not funny, this being said, Nolan likes action movies, hires a bunch of martial artist for his movies, one example Micheal Jai White and is a good friend with Micheal Bay .

Heck, the guys is very damn positive in his movies, at the end of Rises, he say any one could be a hero, that being good dont mean you are insane and you could get a happy ending dont matter what.

Avengers pretty much say, you have to train, use weapons, use gadgets and get powers to be a hero.

Is amazing the fact he has been the only guy that hired a Martial Arts movie actor for a superhero movie and dont use him as a stunt man.

TheCowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By TheCowman

@DeathpooltheT1000 said:

@TheCowman: Look at Avenger, isnt a comic book getting into a screen, if it was that, science would be science and magic would be magic, the in the Marvel movie universe magic is science, Loki isnt using the same costume, the helmet isnt the same, the horns worked because of that, Thor and the rest use another type of costumes, not only spandex, people see Avengers like if it was a comic book in the screen and dont see the huge changes they had to do to get that into screen.

I..... have no idea what point you're trying to make about science and magic. If you're talking about the Asgardians and the teseract being a mix of tech and magic; I'm not sure what the problem is. The comics have done stuff like that many times over the years. "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

And no, the helmet was pretty much the same. 100% exact? Of course not, you don't get that between comic book artists, let along different mediums. But all the characters are instantly recognizable by their costumes. Compare that to X-Men where if you took away Cyclops' visor, you'd never know who he was just by looking at him.

Yes, it's not made of scale-mail, but Cap's outfit is still red, white, and blue; he still has the star on his chest, the 'A' on his forehead, and the little wings on the sides. Thor still has the big red cape and the metal disks on his chest. The only one not in costume is Hawkeye.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheCowman: Still they change the costumes, is the same that the did with Watchmen, just because you take the comic book as inspiration, dont mean you get the comic to the screen.

Heck Watchmen is a better example of that Avengers, still they change the costumes, the change parts of the plot and change many things.

Also the Asgardian technology isnt magic, is super advanced techonology that human cant understand, isnt magic, is science with a bunch of technobable so they dont have to explain it and it could work as magic.

They did this many many times on Star Trek.

The Q civil war is the best example, even when they ruin Q with that senseless part of the Star Trek story.

TheCowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By TheCowman

@DeathpooltheT1000 said:

@TheCowman: Also the Asgardian technology isnt magic, is super advanced techonology that human cant understand, isnt magic, is science with a bunch of technobable so they dont have to explain it and it could work as magic.

I'll repeat the previous quotation; "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." What else IS magic besides a kind of science we don't understand?

And yes, they changed the costumes. But not in any major way. Every character is instantly recognizable as themselves. The difference between comic-Cap's outfit and movie-Cap's outfit is no more broad than original-Cap's outfit to his modern one. Unlike the X-Men who were all shoved into leather motorcycle outfits.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.