Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Who would Bruce be if his parents didn't die that night?

Avatar image for artemisgoldborough
    ArtemisGoldborough

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

If Bruce Wayne wasn't Batman, if the Park Row Tragedy never happened, who would he be? Feel free to come up with your own theories. Feel free to tell me what you think of mine.

I personally think he'd be a better businessman than Lex Luthor. To make it interesting you have to have him run the company. The only way he could do this smoothly is if both his parents both dead. Let's say his mother died of cancer when he was eleven. His dad died in a car accident when Bruce was twenty and away at college. This version of Bruce Wayne would be just as smart the Batman we all know just not as intensely driven unless it was for competitive reasons. Also his knowlege would be in places very different. Everything he knows is to further three things: his company, his own domineering ideas about helping others, and his personal amusment. I could easily see Superman hating Bruce almost as much as Lex Luthor. Lex and Bruce would be constantly trying to out do each other. Their companies would be richer and more powerful than in cannon because of this. In this timeline half of Superman's problems with Lex are the product of the Man of Steel geting caught in the middle of Lex and Bruce's atempts to out scheme each other.

What would make Bruce different from Lex? Unselfish motivations. It's not 'Me, me, me! I want to be powerful! People will bow to me!' that he's thinking. It's 'I do it all for the greater good to make things better. If I have all this wealth and power then I must do something good with it.' Bruce's parents raised well. Those strong morals Batman has, have to have come from somewhere. Without the same tragic background though this Bruce would at times almost corrupt because of too much wealth and the power that wealth brings.

The one thing Bruce would definitely have in common with Batman would be an understanding of psychology. Bruce would be extremely good at getting people to see things his way. He would even trick Superman. He would manipulate people and most would never know it until much much later if ever. The result is actually a scarier man than Lex! The result is a man so much the opposite of the dark knight, that Batman would love to punch his lights out!

Ironically Gotham City would be a somewhat safer place. The Waynes' murder was one of the first really major crimes in the fashionable neighborhood of Park Row. Without that murder there is no quick urban decay and no Crime Alley, or at least not as much of one. Without Batman there is no Joker and Selena Kyle never called herself Catwoman. If Bruce still went to the circus that fateful night then somehow he still would have taken Dick Grayson in. An almost Batman like intensity toward protecting innocents and loved ones combined with Wayne money and Bruce's manipulation skills would be then be used to stop Tony Zucco. But Bruce wouldn't stop there. Bruce would soon control or suppress all most all of the mob activity in the city. And the fact that power corrupts would definitetly be seen.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Gambit1024

He'd be the good Lex Luthor. Or a doctor. Or both.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Wolfrazer

He'd just be a guy running a company, don't think he'd much care for superheroes or anything like that since his parent's death wouldn't give him that drive.

Suprman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Suprman

I think either one is fine, He would either be running Wayne Industries, hopefully as honestly as possible. Or he would have become a doctor like his father.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By PowerHerc

He'd have become a major-league egomaniac socialite doctor.

MrShway88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MrShway88

I think he would be less of a businessman than Lex Luthor. Luthor started out with nothing and that's what drove him into becoming rich and powerful. Bruce being born rich and not having any drive would of made him a normal rich man. Because of how involved his parents were in the bettering of Gotham, Bruce would have followed in their footsteps by being a doctor like this father or concentrated on being a businessman. He would have some spoiled brat issues because a lot of things would have been handed to him being so wealthy. He would have went to the best schools but most likely slacked off and partied. He would be a happier person but nothing superhero like. His parent's death made Batman. Without that he will just be playboy billionaire Bruce Wayne.

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 200

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Durakken

Go read Batman/Superman which is canon and where that happened...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.