Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23535 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Who would be Batman If bruce died permenantly ?

• 51 results
    z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By z3ro180

Yes i know this has been done before but after watching the big bang theory where sheldon asks this question and had an argument with steurt i had to make this thread. So yea if Bruce died and never came back as in DC pulled a Captain Mar-Vell as in he is done thats it for bruce wane never in a million years is he comeing back. Who would ppick up the cape and become the dark knight. Personally i think Dick Grayson would become batman agian

r3d_rob1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By r3d_rob1n

I've posted this in a similar thread, so I'll put it again. Of course this all depends on when Batman dies, but I believe that Tim Drake should take over the cowl. Dick was a great Batman, but he is not Batman. He works best as Nightwing, and honestly he is more fun to read as Nightwing. Tim, however, is so like Bruce in many ways, yet profoundly different in others. He has the detective ability, sort of lacks fighting skills (but still good enough), and is committed to justice and not taking life. Where he differs is with his friends. I believe it was Yost who touched on this during the Red Robin series, when Ra's orders hits on many of Bruce's loved ones, and he believes Drake will fail based on his knowledge of Batman's loner tendencies. Tim isn't afraid to reach out either to his friends or Dick in a time of crisis and puts a lot more faith in his partners than Bruce ever would. So to sum it up, Tim Drake has been molded to inherit the Batman mantel in a way that would preserve the legacy of the character, while at the same time forging a new path and differentiating him his predecessor.

Oh, and anyone who says Damian is just flat out wrong haha

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Wolfrazer

Die of old age or just die from being killed? If the former Terry, if the latter Tim.

KingofMadCows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By KingofMadCows

Both Tim and Dick could do it but the problem is that neither of them really wants to be Batman. They certainly believe in Batman and what the mantle of the Bat stands for but they actually want a life outside of being superheroes and they can't have that if they take Batman's place.

Bane would probably be the best choice since he has the intelligence, skills, the drive for redemption, and the desire to be Batman.

Cassandra Cain would be the second best choice if she's able to get the proper training and hone her non-combat skills.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JonSmith

Nobody, really. Batman may be a symbol, but in much the same way as Batman is Bruce Wayne, nobody can step up to be Batman. They can wear the symbol, but they can't be him. Any differentiation from Batman renders them NOT Batman. The key to Batman's success is his own drive, which lead to his skills, which lead to his many plans. Let's take a look at the potential candidates.

Dick Grayson:

Qualifications: First Robin, moved onto Nightwing, assumed Batmantle in Batman's place following apparent death.

Dick doesn't have the brains to be Batman. Nor does he have the distrust. He doesn't seek to actively improve his skills or push his limits like Batman does, and to him, fighting crime is what he does as a superhero. He's not waging a war, he's stopping bad guys. The difference results in him not being qualified to be Batman.

Jason Todd

Qualifications: Second Robin, killed, got better, became the Red Hood

Jason doesn't have the skill. Yes, he was trained by Batman, but he doesn't have the skill to NOT kill. Nor the compulsion. That drive to NOT be as low as those he's hunting instantly disqualifies him from the race.

Tim Drake

Qualifications: Third Robin, became Red Robin

More technological, more intelligent. Lacking in physical combat prowess. Skills can be sharpened, but like Dick, he doesn't have the distrust to prepare him to take on his allies. He doesn't have the paranoia that maybe one day things will go bad, so he has to be prepared. Overall, most likely candidate, if he could be shaped to be willing. Perhaps implicating him indirectly in Batman's untimely demise. Make him feel guilty.

Damien Wayne

Qualifications: Robin

HA!

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6  Edited By noj

If he were to die like today in current continuity than definatley Dick Grayson. Dick was a GREAT Batman and he more than proved himself worth of the title. He may not be as mentally capable as Bruce but he relies on his allies more to make up for that.

However if he were to die like 10 years down the road than Damian would take over. Damian said it best he was BRED to be Batman. He is HIGHLY intelligent and skilled especially considering his age and that he will only continue to get better as he gets older. He is headstrong at them moment but hopefully growing up will mellow him out a bit.

No Caption Provided
    RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By RedOwl_1

TIm is the most likely, not perfect but the best

r3d_rob1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By r3d_rob1n

@noj: i see Damian's future being linked the the League of Assassins. Maybe he someday inherits it and chooses to try and lead it into the light, rather than have it stay the evil underground society that his Grandfather runs.

Damian is just too unstable and cocksure to be Batman. Plus, something tells me that Tim Drake would fight Damian taking over til his dying breath

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Twentyfive

I would be Batman if Bruce died permanently.

On a side note, when the hell is Terry FINALLY going to be a character in canon DC?

Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Imagine_Man15

It would actually be really cool if Bane wound up taking up the mantle, Batman has stated before that he considers Bane is equal... but, that's just a pipe dream. It would have to be someone in the Bat Family. Dick would probably be the first to take up the mantle, but he works better as Nightwing. Jason would never touch the cowl. Tim would be able to do it, but I'm not sure he would want to. Unfortunately, I think the best choice is Damien... and I hate Damien.

Avatar image for graysonofgotham
    graysonofgotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By graysonofgotham

Dick Grayson. Just ready Battle for the Cowl. All the reasons why are in there. He did a great job as Batman and I think if Bruce died for good it would be Dick for sure(again)

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By KnightRise

I want to see Damian grow as a character and really learn what it means to be a hero.Then take over as Batman.

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By noj

@r3d_rob1n: Im not too sure something called the League of ASSASSINS can ever be turned to the light haha. Damian comepletley turned his back on the League of Assassins and his mother when he chose to stay with the Bat family and I doubt that even if he could go back and take control he wouldnt. He has no fond memories of his mother or the League and they are actively trying to kill him. Sure he is unstable now but thats what growing up is about, and being raised by Bruce, Alfred and to a certain extent Dick will level him out eventually. But I would love to see Tim and Damian fight over it just to see Tim get owned haha!

@Twentyfive: Terry was a canon character until Flashpoint, and he may still be considering alot of Grant Morrisons Batman has remained unchanged. Batman #700 showed Terry being mentored by a much older Damian.

serpent222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By serpent222

@JonSmith said:

Tim Drake

Qualifications: Third Robin, became Red Robin

More technological, more intelligent. Lacking in physical combat prowess. Skills can be sharpened, but like Dick, he doesn't have the distrust to prepare him to take on his allies. He doesn't have the paranoia that maybe one day things will go bad, so he has to be prepared. Overall, most likely candidate, if he could be shaped to be willing. Perhaps implicating him indirectly in Batman's untimely demise. Make him feel guilty.

Clearly you didn't read the Red Robin series. That was a cornerstone of Drake's story.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Gambit1024

It would depend on when Bruce would die. Personally, I think out of the four Robins, Tim would be the best to don the cowl, followed by Dick, Damien, and then Jason.

Felspawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Felspawn

Dick, he did a great job as Batman already, he can do it again...

r3d_rob1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By r3d_rob1n

@noj: haha it's true he would probably have to change the name from League of Assassins. However, the kid is still 10 years old; at this point in his life no doors are truly shut to him. However, the only reason that people think he should inherit the Batman title is because he is Bruce's son. Had he just been a kid off the street, then he would be treated with the same contempt that Jason is. He shows no remorse for his killings and he does not have a Batman demeanor. The cowl should only be turned over to him if Tim and Dick are already dead.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

No one.  

Put someone else in the cowl and that's all it becomes, just some jerk in a mask.  

Batman and Bruce Wayne are inseparable entities.

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By noj

@r3d_rob1n: naw people would still like Damian just like Im sure people liked Jason even though he was an unpopular Robin. He only got voted to die by a very small margin. But the BIG difference between Damian and Jason as Robin is that Damian is written alot better. He may be a arrogant little prick but he is a likable prick. He does show some remorse for killing especially in the Batman and Robin storyline that concluded a few issues back but its mostly regret at disobeying his father mixed with a bit of small genuine regret. But thats the thing about Damian he just doesnt see killing like regular people do. He was raised by Assassins and bred to become a killer and now he is trying to fight against his very nature. Thats one of the things that makes him so interesting. Plus like I said he will certainly grow a ton as a character by the time he is old enough to be Batman

TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheAnnihilator

@noj: I agree with just about everything you said here.

Damian will probably be the only one who can take up the mantle of Batman. I think he's the only one who could be as dedicated as Bruce is. The others just don't have the burning desire.

Besides Damian though, Dick. Dick for sure.

KevJoge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By KevJoge

I did this exact same post lol (You got more replies though >:( grrr)

I think Damian Wayne would become batman

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By nickzambuto

I'm just gonna say it,

Terry.

r3d_rob1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By r3d_rob1n

@noj: I really like Damian's character. I just think that people would not be so quick to say he should be Batman if he wasn't Bruce's son. His actions seem to be pointing towards a path similar to Todd's as a sort of anti-hero

MetalSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MetalSonic

If he died now (in the current comics) Nightwing would take over. If he died a little farther down the line probably Tim, and if it was 10+ years it would be Damian. Damian would never let Terry take up the mantle.

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By RoboShark

I liked having 2 bats. But Dick was a cool Batman. I would like to see a story where Tim, Dick, and Jason all 3 take don the cowl and have to fight and figure out who's most deserving.

r3d_rob1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By r3d_rob1n

@RoboShark: I believe that is almost the plot of Battle For the Cowl

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RoboShark

@r3d_rob1n said:

@RoboShark: I believe that is almost the plot of Battle For the Cowl

....Yeah it is lol. I'm talking about something a tad different.

gats_botl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By gats_botl

only alfred could fill Bruce's boots :)

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By TDK_1997

Dick.He was the choice when Bruce was travelling through time and he will be the right answer if Bruce dies permenatly.Or if he doesn't want then Tim.

Tyler Starke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Tyler Starke

I vote no one

TheGRiZzLeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TheGRiZzLeR

i don't think any of them would dick grayson became his own super hero. Jason Todd became a bad guy the red hood. i think he robin should go through enough endeavers to become there own super hero

IdeallyReal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By IdeallyReal

I think many great points have been made. I feel if it happened right this second, then Tim Drake would fit the role of Batman best. He wouldn't be the same Batman though. That ability to reach out to his friends/colleagues changes him immensely and might make the idea of Batman diminish in the minds of criminals and the general public. They could look at it as he needs to be bailed out of bad situations. They may no longer fear Batman on his own, and that would be a hard thing to always battle both physically and mentally, and it even undermines the idea of Batman as a whole.

I think Damian would be an interesting Batman. Once he matures he could fit the role. Physically and mentally he may be the best choice for it because he would have the largest ability to produce fear in those he fights. I feel like Bruce's death could always be a motivating factor in his fight against crime, and that one day he could come to terms with it just as Bruce does with his parents death in Tomasi's Batman and Robin run. It'd be coming full-circle or at least hearkening back to those stories.

VenomousDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By VenomousDragon

People Say Jason would never touch the,Which is true but post 52 id say its for a different reason he wouldnt take it if you offered it to him.

Avatar image for mystiquebelinsky
    MystiqueBelinsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MystiqueBelinsky

Damian, or Dick. I never, I couldn't see Tim as Batman.

deathsdoor726

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@r3d_rob1n: I honestly agree with you 100% accept I think Damian could be batman but he wouldn't accept the mantle

I see Damian really maturing in the future and realizes he's not Batman but he can carry on his legacy in his own way and become sort of like Dick Grayson and makes a new persona

Korbenheagerty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Korbenheagerty

Just to spout my opinion, in terms of training, all of them could conceivably become batman, dick could get tougher, Jason could stop killing/using guns, Tim could get fitter, Damian could get better detective skills, but in terms of psyche/motivations/M.O. It's Tim or Dick. I just don't see Damian or Jason ever becoming a great detective to the level of Bruce, not to the extent that Tim or Dick do.

Also, just a thought, I just heard a theory that fits with why it is so hard to choose, each of the robins represents a different aspect of Bruce, Dick represents the agility and lighthearted aspect of him, Jason is the brute force and rage, Tim is his intellect and timidness, and Damien represents the assassin skill and pride. That why nobody can agree on who will become Batman, they are all (essentially) a part of Bruce but not the whole. Every person's perception of what aspect best represents Batman influences who they choose.

Korbenheagerty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Korbenheagerty

Also, to note pre new 52 Stephanie brown could conceivably be the adaptive aspect of Bruce with her being the flighty part of him that never wants to settle down (hence why Bruce Wayne can't hold onto a girlfriend, Robin, or costume for very long) but first, Brown is retconned out of the red green and yellow costume for the new 52. Second, this thread is for robins that can become batman, and I'm gonna take a shot in the dark that most agree with me that Stephanie Brown will probably never become batman for various reasons.

GLEmerald924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kill Batman permanently?

No Caption Provided

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dick was the best Batman.

Hate.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Terry McGinnis by a long shot, I think is the perfect Batman.

He wouldn't even have to wait for Bruce to die.

Korbenheagerty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess Dick could pretend to be Batman. Then Terry.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Azrael.

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Possible Dick, Damian, Tim, or Cassandra.......But It will just end with Terry being the New Batman.

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
    GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

Terry McGinnis. He has the drive, he constantly improves his skill, he doesn't join the Justice League for the same basic reason Bruce never became a full-timer. Not only is he one of his biological sons but he was raised (kinda) by Bruce for a while as he mentored him. And most importantly he has the heart of Batman without having all of his darkness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko0rY7nWMUo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2pfuSxXaMw

Avatar image for harlequinofhearts
    HarlequinOfHearts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Terry McGinnis

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
    deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.