Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23630 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

who thinks that Batman inc should be cut out of continuity?

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Eternal19

First of, im not a Morrison hater I have enjoyed the majority of his batman run. I even enjoyed the batman inc series even though I didn't agree with the idea. But, the problem with batman inc is that it doesn't make any sense.

hare are my reasons:

1.its out of character for batman: batman is supposed to be an incredibly paranoid person who will go at every length to make sure that no one can potentially hurt the bat-family. why would bruce put his life as batman at risk by saying that he funds batman.

2.It makes his villians seem idiotic: Bruce wayne says that he funds batman, but most of his villians haven't directly tried to destroy him in order to get to batman. Realistically if a high level criminal found out that someone was funding someone who is a direct threat to him, he would eliminate that threat immediately.

3. Why would batman need to create a team of D-list heroes to fight Leviathan when he has access to the Teen Titans, the justice League, the outsiders etc.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#2  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I think it should. Really, along with other titles like Green Lantern, I feel that when DC rebooted they should have completely rebooted everything. I find the fact that Batman and Green Lantern still having ties to the pre-Flashpoint DCU makes those titles both confusing and harder for new readers to get into.

That's one of the issues I have with Batman, Inc. as it's still connected to the previous Batman, Inc. series before the reboot. Even in the New 52 series, there are still references to the previous DCU such as Batman's death, which apparently still stands in the DCnU.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3 the_stegman  Moderator

I say yes, besides little mentions here and there, it hasn't really been acknowledged in any other Bat title (not including Batwing) the idea itself isn't that great, and honestly, when reading it, I couldn't care less about the various Batmen of different countries. It's a good idea for a Elseworlds tale, but it shouldn't be in established continuity.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

I always hated the idea of Batman Inc. - an international network of Batmen sponsored by Bruce Wayne...jeez.

Things from the Silver Age should stay in the Silver Age.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

I fail to understand what that will accomplish,the story was written had impact(Damian's death), and finally concluded it's run by reverting back to the status quo,what exactly will removing it from continuity accomplish? The 2 problems that people have with INC are Bruce's announcement, and new fans complaining about it's links to the previous continuity(f*ck them)that's really it,so when you come down to it no I dont wanna see a good story that introduced diverse,new characters,plot lines and concepts bulldozed to satisfy wishes of a bunch of morons who have led comics to the cesspool of stagnation and unoriginality.

Now as far as the villains are concerned you should know that all of Batman's major and deadly adversaries already know his secret(Ra's,Joker,Bane),the ones who dont like Croc,Freeze and Clayface etc will never figure it out ever cause they are idiots,and that's that.

Your third point makes no sense to me,by that logic Batman should retire and hand over Gotham to Dr Fate.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

@entropy_aegis: Bravo. I hate it when companies pander to the lazy and stupid. That's how you get the New 52.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I fail to understand what that will accomplish,the story was written had impact(Damian's death), and finally concluded it's run by reverting back to the status quo,what exactly will removing it from continuity accomplish? The 2 problems that people have with INC are Bruce's announcement, and new fans complaining about it's links to the previous continuity(f*ck them)that's really it,so when you come down to it no I dont wanna see a good story that introduced diverse,new characters,plot lines and concepts bulldozed to satisfy wishes of a bunch of morons who have led comics to the cesspool of stagnation and unoriginality.

Now as far as the villains are concerned you should know that all of Batman's major and deadly adversaries already know his secret(Ra's,Joker,Bane),the ones who dont like Croc,Freeze and Clayface etc will never figure it out ever cause they are idiots,and that's that.

Your third point makes no sense to me,by that logic Batman should retire and hand over Gotham to Dr Fate.

Completely agree.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By TDK_1997

Best post for this topic.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Lvenger

A very well written post mate and I agree for the most part but you have to admit that Inc, particularly the New 52 volume lacked the punch and creativity of Morrison's pre Inc run.

Avatar image for masterdetective
    MasterDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

not me

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't think it should be erased from continuity or anything, but I do say that I didn't like the idea of it. It reminded me too much of when Morrison created X-Corp, or whatever its called, when he was writing New X-Men. Call me crazy but the idea of it was essentially the same and I think that's what bothered me the most. I could never get into Batman, INC because of that despite me acknowledging that INC has had some great stories that turned into a full circle type deal. But now it's done and over with, will probably be more forgotten than not, so it's whatever at this point.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Eternal19

Most of those characters aren't going to be used again and weren't that interesting in the first place. If you are going to make up a new idea at least have it make sense. The idea that bruce would do that doesn't make any sense to me. Damians death didn't satisfy me in the first place. It felt forced and took away the potential for future stories involving the character.

What about Riddler, Penguin, and Two-face. Why haven't these characters gotten involved? all it does is lead to more problems.

Thats not what I meant. if Leviathan was supposed to be a global threat, why would bruce waste time going around the world recruiting heroes when he can just call up the Teen Titans. Bruce can handle gotham himself.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
    RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Yeah, it really should.

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it should be erased from history not just continuity. It links silver and golden age batman to today which we are told that the golden and silver age heroes are not from our earth. Then Bruce Wayne says he backs batman with money and tech while he holds the press conference dick Tim and Damian are on stage with Bruce pretty close tie to batman red robin nightwing and robin, but hey I'm just glad it's over, don't get me wrong I love morrisons older stuff I just couldn't get past the fact the whole concept of batman inc was so weak and well horrible.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By entropy_aegis

@entropy_aegis said:

Most of those characters aren't going to be used again and weren't that interesting in the first place. If you are going to make up a new idea at least have it make sense. The idea that bruce would do that doesn't make any sense to me. Damians death didn't satisfy me in the first place. It felt forced and took away the potential for future stories involving the character.

What about Riddler, Penguin, and Two-face. Why haven't these characters gotten involved? all it does is lead to more problems.

Thats not what I meant. if Leviathan was supposed to be a global threat, why would bruce waste time going around the world recruiting heroes when he can just call up the Teen Titans. Bruce can handle gotham himself.

Have you um actually read the story? every single point you've brought up has already been addressed,Batman INC v1#6 gives us the answer to how Bruce keeps his identity secret,the last few issues of INC go in to extreme depth to show us the consequences of Bruce's actions,Batman INC DOESN'T exist any more,it was disbanded immediately after Damian's death. As for the characters not being interesting that's your opinion,I like Jiro,Hood and Nightrunner,Batwing also got an ongoing now that's a fact,so did Knight and Squire while we're at it.

Why didn't Bruce call in the JLA during Legacy? or Knightfall? or infact every Ra's story? and it was actually explained with in the comic too,the Outsiders were a part of INC and Leviathan had meta weapons to handle metahumans (they owned the predecessors to the Ultramarine corps I believe).

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@entropy_aegis said:

A very well written post mate and I agree for the most part but you have to admit that Inc, particularly the New 52 volume lacked the punch and creativity of Morrison's pre Inc run.

Indeed,it was mediocre TBH.

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
    TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@eternal19: Admit it, you just want Damian Back :D

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First of, im not a Morrison hater I have enjoyed the majority of his batman run. I even enjoyed the batman inc series even though I didn't agree with the idea. But, the problem with batman inc is that it doesn't make any sense.

hare are my reasons:

1.its out of character for batman: batman is supposed to be an incredibly paranoid person who will go at every length to make sure that no one can potentially hurt the bat-family. why would bruce put his life as batman at risk by saying that he funds batman.

2.It makes his villians seem idiotic: Bruce wayne says that he funds batman, but most of his villians haven't directly tried to destroy him in order to get to batman. Realistically if a high level criminal found out that someone was funding someone who is a direct threat to him, he would eliminate that threat immediately.

3. Why would batman need to create a team of D-list heroes to fight Leviathan when he has access to the Teen Titans, the justice League, the outsiders etc.

He should've put Damian into Justice League watchtower and have Superman and Diana watch over him if he cares about his son.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: So Bats saw Leviathan as threat to his allies in Outsiders, Justice League and Teen Titans?

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with your reasons but I think it should still be in continuity. New 52 canon is screwed up bad already anyway.

Actually the only reason I think it should be in continuity is because that's the only place we've seen talia since the reboot, and it was a really good story. What's really confusing is how bruce has a ten year old son and in the new 52 he's only been batman five years.

It's also confusing how batman went through knightfall, no mans land, the long Halloween, year one, and all of morrison's run in five years- see, the continuity is already screwed

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By TheCheeseStabber

If Bat-Cow is erased from Continuity I give up.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By dernman

YES YES PLEASE YES! The very concept itself was an abomination that should never have happened.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: I think Zero year has replaced Year One. Snyder himself said that Year One no longer made sense in the New 52.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: Year one was definitely 10 times better than zero year but i think that some parts of it are still canon. What alse doesnt make sense is how Bruce has a 10 year old son in a 5 year timeline. Like i said the whole continuity is screwed.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dud317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: in the most recent Fatman on Batman, Snyder said that DC came to him about Zero Year, originally Year Zero. Capullo had the idea to change it to Zero Year. Snyder said that with the new 5-year plan, a number of things in Year One don't pan out as they used to. He made a few points, the most notable being that James Jr. would be much younger.

While I'm on it, I know people are hating on the Zero Year spanning multiple titles. According to Snyder, this was DC's idea as well. Snyder originally wanted a contained story, but with pressure from DC, he left it up to the other writers to whether or not they would participate.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.