Who thinks TDKR will blow out The Avengers and Spider-Man

• 0 results
#1 Posted by comicdude23 (11400 posts) - - Show Bio

At first I was unsure about TDKR but now I'm hyped, anyone else think TDKR will blow out these two? Bane looks bad-ass, when everyone was saying Riddler should be the villain, they should have thought Bane would be a better choice as he is both mentally and physically comparable to Batman.

#2 Posted by r3d_rob1n (541 posts) - - Show Bio

Simply based off the popularity of Dark Knight TDKR will blow up the box office opening weekend. I'm sure that Avengers and Spidey will go well, but they won't be able to compete with the Bat

#3 Posted by danhimself (22696 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure that the TDKR will make more money in theaters but I'm no where nearly as excited about it as I am for The Avengers....I haven't really seen anything from TDKR to get excited about yet

#4 Posted by comicdude23 (11400 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: Well, Bane knows Wayne is Batman.

#5 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

Just taking into account the commercials I've seen and having seen the first two movies it seems they want TDKR to be complicated, especially considering most of the commercials you have no idea what's going on, besides Gotham is in trouble. I think it will do well because its the end of the series and Batman Begins and The Dark Knight did really well. But still the trailers are lackluster at best.

#6 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34381 posts) - - Show Bio

Man of Steel

#7 Posted by Deranged Midget (17863 posts) - - Show Bio

Dark Knight Rises is better known and an already well-established franchise and will absolutely explode at the box office. Personally, I'm more excited for Avengers and Spiderman even though I know DKR will be a spectacular movie.

#8 Posted by danhimself (22696 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicdude23 said:

meh...the Avengers has Thor, Hulk, Iron Man, and Captain America all in the same movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#9 Posted by comicdude23 (11400 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

@comicdude23 said:

meh...the Avengers has Thor, Hulk, Iron Man, and Captain America all in the same movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bane breaks the GODDAM BATMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#10 Posted by Zomboid (740 posts) - - Show Bio

TDKR is going to blow them both away. It's riding on the success of TDK, and we all know how successful that was. Personally I feel like Spidey is gonna do the worst.

#11 Posted by comicdude23 (11400 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nova`Prime`: That's the thing, when the trailer for a film like TDKR is underwhelming then when people see how amazing TDKR is it will be overwhemingly awesome.

#12 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (12280 posts) - - Show Bio

There's no doubt that Avengers and Spider-man are going to do amazing in the box office, but there's no competition with TDKR because it's the third movie in the franchise and everyone, comic book readers and non-comic book readers alike, knows how exciting and great the previous two were so this one will just bring in more viewers.

#13 Posted by danhimself (22696 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicdude23 said:

@danhimself said:

@comicdude23 said:

we don't know that for sure

#14 Posted by comicdude23 (11400 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

@comicdude23 said:

@danhimself said:

@comicdude23 said:

we don't know that for sure

Not for sure, but random men going down the Batcave, Batman being absent, Bane having Wayne on the floor blooded, Batman's mask being broken, etc all leads to the inevitable. And when Batman is fighting in day time shit is going down. Though honestly I'm pumped for The Avengers, I hope they don't screw it up.

#15 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicdude23: Very true for people who are dead set on seeing the movie, but what about the fence sitters? Those are the people that make or brake a movie. Look at John Carter, lackluster title and trailers and Disney has a $200 million bomb. Not saying TDKR is going to bomb, but I don't think its going to do as well as TDK and I think Avengers will do just as good if not slightly better.

#16 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (8048 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure TDKR will make more money than Avengers and Spidey, but I am WAY more excited to see Avengers.

#17 Posted by Inverno (13330 posts) - - Show Bio

Christopher Nolan > Joss Whendon

#18 Posted by nickzambuto (14472 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

Man of Steel will be awesome when it comes out next year

@CaioTrubat said:

Christopher Nolan > Joss Whendon

I agree, that Joss Whendon guy is a douch.

Joss WHEDON on the other hand is awesome.

In conclusion, Amazing Spider-Man will make the least money but will be the best film.

#19 Posted by cattlebattle (13209 posts) - - Show Bio

who gives a sh*t.......anyway you cut it, comic fans win this summer

#20 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

TDKR > Marvel Pics.

#21 Posted by Lvenger (21066 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm more excited about the Avengers than I am about TDKR. Sure it'll be good but at the end of the day there will be an eventual reboot just as there is with Superman and Spider-Man. Batman's too popular to be left alone. Also I'm annoyed at Nolan for making Batman constantly whine about the fact that he wants to have a normal life yet continues to be Batman. Plus Nolan hasn't played upon Batman's intelligence or the fact Batman is the WORLD'S GREATEST DETECTIVE. There's been no test of Batman's intelligence or showcasing of his obession with saving Gotham or die trying. Also, I can't actually hear what Bale is saying at times. I know Batman has a deep voice but Bale seems to speak gibberish at times. So I don't love Nolan's films, I think they're OK. I loved Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker and Michael Caine makes the perfect Alfred but the Batman I see in the films is not the Batman in the comic books I love.

#22 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

TDKR will destroy them both.

#23 Edited by entropy_aegis (15472 posts) - - Show Bio

Time will tell.

@Lvenger said:

I'm more excited about the Avengers than I am about TDKR. Sure it'll be good but at the end of the day there will be an eventual reboot just as there is with Superman and Spider-Man. Batman's too popular to be left alone. Also I'm annoyed at Nolan for making Batman constantly whine about the fact that he wants to have a normal life yet continues to be Batman. Plus Nolan hasn't played upon Batman's intelligence or the fact Batman is the WORLD'S GREATEST DETECTIVE. There's been no test of Batman's intelligence or showcasing of his obession with saving Gotham or die trying. Also, I can't actually hear what Bale is saying at times. I know Batman has a deep voice but Bale seems to speak gibberish at times. So I don't love Nolan's films, I think they're OK. I loved Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker and Michael Caine makes the perfect Alfred but the Batman I see in the films is not the Batman in the comic books I love.

I'm quite glad actually,that's why I was so sure Riddler was'nt gonna show up and Batman's drive is what makes him not detective work.

#24 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

All I know is that I'm spending a lot of time at the theater this summer...

#25 Posted by Lvenger (21066 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: His intelligence is a key part of his character too. In Nolan's films there's never been any showcases of Batman's deductive skills just Batman going around beating up criminals and screaming "SWEAR TO ME" at corrupt cops. I do think that Nolan has managed to do the villains successfully. Ra'as Al Ghul and Joker in particular are two good villains that Nolan's spin works on and Bane looks set to be an awesome villain as well. However, Nolan can't do Batman right IMO. The Batman of the animated series and the Arkham Asylum/Arkham City games are way better than Bale's Batman IMO as they are more true to every aspect of the character.

In relation to your drive point, I think Nolan fails there as well. He doesn't nail Batman's obsession with his mission in the Dark Knight and Batman goes all Peter Parker when he sees Rachel with Harvey and wants a normal life with Rachel. That's not what Batman should do, Batman should be driven by his burning desire to avenge his parents' death not whine about how he's not with the woman he loves. I do like Nolan's Bat films but the Batman I see there isn't the comic book Batman I love.

#26 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:

@comicdude23 said:

Who, combined, are still not even close to Batman =P
#27 Posted by Aiden Cross (15575 posts) - - Show Bio

Pssh, i've already seen the Avengers movie with all the trailers, cut scenes and pictures out there for 'promotion' :P

#28 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8160 posts) - - Show Bio

TDKR will be top dog because of its seriousness and keeping an aura of mystery about it Avengers has a lot of Hype due to the commercials so its people already know the real premise, same with Spidey

#29 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

It can honestly go either way. What people seem to forget is that a lot of the female demographic watched this movie in theaters because of Heath Ledger. I think his death had more to do with the ticket sales than the fact that it was a good movie. 

#30 Posted by Aiden Cross (15575 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: Avengers has Chris Hemsworth and Chris Evans, that must be a plus for women :p

#31 Posted by TDK_1997 (15086 posts) - - Show Bio

Of cource it will blow them out.It will be a great movie.

#32 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

I think so, TDKR would probably make above 1 billion.

#33 Posted by joshmightbe (25053 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers won't really be competing with TDKR. Avengers comes out in May, TDKR comes out in late July so neither will really affect the other that much unless maybe the folks who've seen the Avengers several times by then will decide to see Batman instead

#34 Posted by SC (13307 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the DC/Marvel movie, will absolutely own/pwn/garlicbreadslapacrosstheface/blow the holy hell fire and smoke, tuna casserole out of the other DC/Marvel movies, and will make those movies look like a elephant with ebola virus, being shot with exploding flute tips by pygmy herdsman in a lake of acidic stale milk. Can my favorite comic company movies pwn my least favorite comic book company movies any harder? I think not. Marvel/DC is the best, and Marvel/DC sucks and all their movies look like the sequel to Big Momma's House VI.       

Moderator Online
#35 Posted by Arachnokrypt (15 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Amazing Spider-Man will outsell Avengers and TDKR.

I'm excited to see ASM and Man of Steel. May or may not see Avengers. I don't care about TDKR.

#36 Posted by entropy_aegis (15472 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

It can honestly go either way. What people seem to forget is that a lot of the female demographic watched this movie in theaters because of Heath Ledger. I think his death had more to do with the ticket sales than the fact that it was a good movie.

Maybe the first time,but somehow I doubt people came back for more just cause Ledger died.His last movie(Imagirium or something like that) grossed 60 million.

#37 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (8048 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

who gives a sh*t.......anyway you cut it, comic fans win this summer

This.

#38 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Maybe the first time,but somehow I doubt people came back for more just cause Ledger died.His last movie(Imagirium or something like that) grossed 60 million.

Still, you can't deny that his death had an impact on ticket sales. Even if it was just for the opening weekend, it was a hell of an opening weekend.  

People tend to care more about celebrities when they die. A huge plus if they die accidentally or young. Michael Jackson is a perfect example. Before his death? "Child molesting piece of trash." After? "Beloved treasure that inspired millions." See what I mean?
#39 Posted by joshmightbe (25053 posts) - - Show Bio

Could someone please explain to me how movies coming out almost 2 months apart can be competing? TDKR's success will have literally no impact on Avengers what so ever.

#40 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

All three movies are going to make ludicrous amounts of money. TDKR will probably be just above Avengers, with Spiderman trailing right behind that.

#41 Posted by comicdude23 (11400 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: TDK = One of the greatest movies ever made.

#42 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@comicdude23: I'm not saying it isn't, I'm just saying that there were other factors that went in with its gross total. 
#43 Posted by joshmightbe (25053 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicdude23: Great Movie doesn't equal box office success Transformers 2 was a giant pile of crap but was a huge box office success. We honestly can't say TDKR is a great movie now, for all we know it could be the movie where Nolan blows it or it could be the greatest thing ever made but you can't really know until it comes out. Lots of really great directors have the occasional bombs just as many crappy directors catch lucky breaks.

#44 Posted by RazzaTazz (9698 posts) - - Show Bio
@SC said:
I think the DC movie, will absolutely own/pwn/garlicbreadslapacrosstheface/blow the holy hell fire and smoke, tuna casserole out of the other DC movies, and will make those movies look like a elephant with ebola virus, being shot with exploding flute tips by pygmy herdsman in a lake of acidic stale milk. Can my favorite comic company movies pwn my least favorite comic book company movies any harder? I think not. DC is the best, and Marvel sucks and all their movies look like the sequel to Big Momma's House VI.       
I couldn't agree more
#45 Posted by entropy_aegis (15472 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Still, you can't deny that his death had an impact on ticket sales. Even if it was just for the opening weekend, it was a hell of an opening weekend. People tend to care more about celebrities when they die. A huge plus if they die accidentally or young. Michael Jackson is a perfect example. Before his death? "Child molesting piece of trash." After? "Beloved treasure that inspired millions." See what I mean?

It also has to do with the role and the marketing, Ledger was only a factor cause Warner MADE him a factor.If he was playing someone other than the Joker or if he was'nt in a Batman movie what do you think would have happened? the results are his last movie which could'nt even gross 100 millions$.

#46 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Still, you can't deny that his death had an impact on ticket sales. Even if it was just for the opening weekend, it was a hell of an opening weekend. People tend to care more about celebrities when they die. A huge plus if they die accidentally or young. Michael Jackson is a perfect example. Before his death? "Child molesting piece of trash." After? "Beloved treasure that inspired millions." See what I mean?

It also has to do with the role and the marketing, Ledger was only a factor cause Warner MADE him a factor.If he was playing someone other than the Joker or if he was'nt in a Batman movie what do you think would have happened? the results are his last movie which could'nt even gross 100 millions$.

Probably nothing, or probably the same thing. I'm not saying that his death contributed millions of dollars worth of ticket sales, but I am saying it could have very well lead the sales for some number of ticket sales. The actual numbers are something that we could only guess. The rest of it was no doubt because of the marketing and the obvious fact that it's a Batman movie. 
#47 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

In general, I see more excitement for TDKR.

#48 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

I dunno the Avengers is a BIG idea that is new to the comic movie genre. Yes the X-Men and Fantastic Four were team movies, but they weren't set up by 6 movies to make this climax of awesomeness. Still it is Batman so it is gonna hit theaters hard lol

#49 Posted by sinestro_GL (3287 posts) - - Show Bio

To the real fanboys, TDKR stands for 'The Dark Knight Returns' which will be released in two parts later this year - which will blow my mind O.o

#50 Posted by ImagineComics123 (11 posts) - - Show Bio

I thnk I'm a little more hyped fr the Avengers than I am wit anythng else but if TDKR keeps up with what it's ding that ma chnge. The movie is definitely going to be amazing. It's just a shame that this will be thelast of the Nolan series.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.