Which version of Batman is THE best version?

Posted by Frozen (15123 posts) - - Show Bio

I've asked myself this question many times. Yet I've never come to a conclusion, it's quite hard to decide. There are so many versions, so I'm going to review the some versions of Batman and insert my opinion on the subject. I will only cover 3 versions, no more. I will just put the rest under the title of other. Let's begin:

DKR Batman

Well. This version is different, different can be interpreted as good and bad. This version is definitely more violent and ''psycho'', for those of you that have read The Dark Knight Returns, you'll know what I mean.

This version of Batman truly did redeem Batman. Batman was a joke and the sales of Batman hit an all time low in 1985, Batman wasn't much. DC desperately needed help, so they turned to a man known as Frank Miller. Nowdays, Miller has lost it a little, from a comic-book standpoint. But back in the day, he truly was the king. His version of Batman was more radical and violent, the world around him had turned to dust without The Batman. Times had gotten much worse, the mafia were seemingly no more yet a gang known as 'The Mutants' had taken over Gotham. The leader of this gang, known as 'The Mutant Leader' was a violent, violent man. He ripped out the Mayor's throat, so this comic-book wasn't for kids. This comic could be classed as certificate rating 18 if it was accurately translated into a live-action movie back in the 1980s, now it'd be a 12 or a 15.

Let me start by saying, this version of Batman was big. Not just muscular-big, but completely steroid ripped. His physique resembled that of Arnold Schwarznegger. This book has had a big impact on Batman, it brought back the darkness and grittiness to Batman. As we see, Batman is now seen as some massive muscular hunk (see TAS), it doesn't take a genius to know that DKR inspired that. But talking about the version, this version was more violent. He went so close to crossing the line but actually didn't, he did cross the line in DSA but that can be crossed off as CIS. Anyways, this version is more violent, going so far to cripple a man, he didn't use his gadgets, he used his muscle. He was a tank, his bat-mobile even became a tank. This Batman had a 10 year absence, so something along the way must have straightened him out. Because this version was tough, he destroyed the Mutant Leader at the end, and, well....what he did wasn't very pretty. It's almost as if, this version of Batman actually enjoyed hurting criminals. So this version isn't completely sane, heck, maybe no version is completely sane. But this version was a psycho, the prequel (All Star Batman & Robin), actually showed that Batman was mean. But that story was a mess, this version had become insane, Gotham's crime had obviously shaped this Batman into a machine. He would stop at nothing to destroy crime, he was 55 years old when he returned. This version wasn't very smart, he relied more on his strength. By the end of DKR, he decided to go underground with Carrie Kelly and carry on his war on crime. He was violent, he had been reduced to that level of violence, this version of Batman reflected the state of Gotham. But for some reason, he just wasn't really Batman. He was The Hulk with a Batman costume, really, he just isn't what Batman should be.

TAS Batman

This is a fan favorite. I grew up with this show, it really had an impact on me and most Batman fans. Even though I was only 6 when the series had ended, it truly was amazing.

One of the main reasons I loved this show, was that the creators weren't afraid to ignore the kiddy crap. This was a dark, serious show with some added humor. DC really hit the nail on the head with his show. One of the things that me and many others loved, was Kevin Conroy's strong Batman voice. His voice was strong and bold, it was Batman. This isn't just TAS I am talking about here, it's TAS/TNAS/JL/JLU (The Animated Series, The New Animated Series, Justice League and Justice League Unlimited). They are all the same version, the same version was shown in Batman Beyond but I'll move onto that later. This version of Batman originally, wasn't that strong. In TAS, he struggled with The Joker and normal street level thugs, but he was a genius. In TAS, he was more-so a Detective than a fighter, a smart, witty version of the character. He had a line, and he wouldn't cross it. In Mask of Phantasm, he was conflicted over love and Batman.

People say that Batman would never give up Batman for love but that's wrong. Batman is only human, he isn't a god, so he has choices. Love or Batman was a big choice for him, he wants to settle down and maybe even have kids, but he can't. He feels compelled to be Batman, he can quit, but the death of his parents really restrains him. In Mask of Phantasm, we see a lost man, a man that doesn't know what he wants. The choice between Batman and love is tearing him apart, shaping the man he will become. But in the end, he chooses Batman. He chooses the life that will help Gotham, but only destroy himself. Mask of Phantasm really did address the topic very well. The New Batman Adventures is essentially the same version, just a bit tougher. It's only in Justice League, where we see a drastic change. In Justice League, which is essentially on the same quality as TAS, we see a different Batman. He is more bitter and tougher, the events of TAS and TNAS have shaped him into a somewhat bitter man. He isn't completely bitter, but aside from the new suit, he truly has become Batman. This version of Batman is a far better fighter, heck, he was capable of dodging Darkseid's omega-beams and so, he was more experienced and all round, a better Batman. But was he a better person?

Years later, in Batman Beyond. Bruce Wayne is an old, bitter man. Even his old partners (Time Drake, Barbara Gordon and Dick Grayson) have been driven away from him. They even have some feelings towards him, after Bruce made his choice, he had gone over-board. He became obsessed with his war on crime, so obsessed that those around him couldn't stand what he had become. Heck, even Terry McGuiness, a perfectly normal teenager (revealed to be a clone, stupid story-line) was turned bitter due to being around Bruce for so long. This version made a choice, but didn't get a happy ending. Still, was this version the best? He was certainly my favorite. But was he the best?

Bale's Batman

This version has become a favorite. Instantly attracting fan-boys since 2008's The Dark Knight, this version has had a start and finish. I don't think any version of Batman has had a conclusion. Maybe they have, but have they had an epic conclusion?

But in Batman Begins, we saw a lost man. Similar to TAS, however, this version truly wanted to make a difference. He didn't want to stay Batman for as long as he could, but he wanted to use Batman as a symbol to inspire others in Gotham to stand up against corruption. We see this man in Batman Begins, a man with nothing but determination. He had all the money in the world, he could have had anything. Yet he wanted more, I guess this could easily be said for any version of Batman. But this Batman just doesn't want to stay as Batman, his Batman has a purpose. To create a legend, in Batman Begins he was taught martial arts. He wasn't really the detective, but he was a fighter. Taught by the League of Shadows in the arts of deception and martial arts, this Batman was solid. He was taught by Ra's Al Ghul, in my opinion, this origin story was superior to that of Batman: Year One. Learning martial arts from Ra's Al Ghul, was a better decision than meeting him after he became Batman, something which happened in the mainstream continuity. This decision built the Dark Knight Trilogy overall. In Batman Begins, he deals with fear. His fear of bats is a theme heavily used in the film, but in the end, he uses his fear to scare those who prey on the fearful. By the end of Batman Begins, he has already established himself as a force to be reckoned with.

In the next installment, The Dark Knight. We see Batman deal with chaos, can Batman be pushed to his limits?

He certainly can. The Joker was a new type of criminal, Ledger's Joker was like no other. He was completely insane, he didn't want money, or power, he wanted chaos. What he did was pretty simple, Bale's Batman had only been Batman for 6 months, though this was his prime. What Joker did was pretty simple, all he did was kept on killing a person until Batman revealed his identity. Some of those victims were the fake Batman's as seen at the start of the film, so Batman's message to inspire others had obviously been interpreted differently. Batman was starting to feel guilty for The Joker's victims. It came to the point where he was going to reveal his identity, but a better man stood in his way - Harvey Dent. But even then, Dent was broken by The Joker. Batman took the rap for his crimes, and the legend was destroyed. Batman was intended to be good, but his legend was destroyed by a man with no logic. 8 years later however, the legend resurfaced.

In The Dark Knight Rises, not much can be said. This version is similar, but he crossed the line. He kills Talia and her driver at the end, Batman had finally learnt to cross the line when necessary. In the end, he faked his death and the people of Gotham respected the legend. At the end, the people of Gotham had learnt to stand up for themselves, Batman chose to end his life as Batman, as Batman had fulfilled his purpose, the legend was passed down to John Blake. Even a statue of Batman was built, Batman finally got his happy ending with Selena Kyle, and Gotham knew the truth of Harvey Dent, and they could accept it.

Really, I missed alot of other versions. But these 3 are the ones that interested me the most. But for me, even though TAS was my favorite, I think Bale's Batman was the best. He had a solid trilogy, and a conclusion to the Batman story. It's very rare that Batman get's a conclusion, and Batman being used to inspire people, IMO is a much better purpose. So that's just me.

#1 Posted by entropy_aegis (15472 posts) - - Show Bio

TAS Batman,loved Bale's version but TAS is...TAS lol.It's what got me in to Batman.

#2 Edited by Frozen (15123 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

TAS Batman,loved Bale's version but TAS is...TAS lol.It's what got me in to Batman.

TAS got me into Batman too. But if I have to speak honestly, TAS Batman > Mainstream Batman.

I'd even have Bale's Batman > Mainstream Batman. But I'm probably alone on that.

#3 Posted by gotwillpower (679 posts) - - Show Bio

We are allowed to choose other, right? I really like TAS, but I also like Batman from Legends of the Dark Knight. Detective Comics nowadays tries to highlight Batman's detective work, and lots of others have claimed to do so, but when you read LDK, you don't need to be told Batman is the world's greatest detective.

Design-wise, I like Jim Lee's Hush. New 52 Justice League Batman is cool, but from the New 52, I would rather have Greg Capullo's art.

#4 Posted by entropy_aegis (15472 posts) - - Show Bio

@Frozen said:

@entropy_aegis said:

TAS got me into Batman too. But if I have to speak honestly, TAS Batman > Mainstream Batman.

I'd even have Bale's Batman > Mainstream Batman. But I'm probably alone on that.

I actually agree with this(not Bale though lol).

#5 Posted by danhimself (22693 posts) - - Show Bio

out of those...TAS

my own choice...it's not really a specific version of Batman but I really like the dickhe@d Batman...the Batman who thinks he knows everything and no he doesn't want your help...get the he!! out of his cave

#6 Posted by MasterDetective (850 posts) - - Show Bio

More seriously, I liked the TAS version

#7 Posted by Frozen (15123 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

out of those...TAS

my own choice...it's not really a specific version of Batman but I really like the dickhe@d Batman...the Batman who thinks he knows everything and no he doesn't want your help...get the he!! out of his cave

You mean Miller's All Star Batman & Robin version?

#8 Posted by danhimself (22693 posts) - - Show Bio

@Frozen said:

@danhimself said:

out of those...TAS

I said "d!ckhe@d" not "horribly written"

#9 Posted by Frozen (15123 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

@Frozen said:

@danhimself said:

out of those...TAS

I said "d!ckhe@d" not "horribly written"

He was a dickhead, as well as being horribly written.

#10 Posted by btmt (222 posts) - - Show Bio

TAS BATMAN and Christian Bale's BATMAN.

#11 Edited by Wolfrazer (7478 posts) - - Show Bio

TAS(90s) Batman, he was actually a street character then(after that though, he was never a street character again). Sure he may have gotten out of situations that would seem almost impossible to get out of, but he was still just taking on thugs and the like.

#12 Posted by Selinaky (677 posts) - - Show Bio

I like TAS and JL/JLU Batman the best. His character and voice are just perfect!

Although I don't know if I like how Bruce turns out in Batman Beyond, but I still enjoy the show and Terry McGinnis as Batman.

#13 Edited by GeekyEverAfter (353 posts) - - Show Bio

TAS Batman is my favorite, but I also really like BatmanAC's version of Batman as well.

#14 Posted by timelord786 (188 posts) - - Show Bio

bale batman

#15 Posted by SoA (5135 posts) - - Show Bio

TAS Batman

#16 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

batman tas/batman beyond & arkham city .

#17 Posted by LuigiBat (225 posts) - - Show Bio

The Batman of the JL animated shows was my favourite, he was such a badass. I was really too young at the time to watch or remember TAS, but looking back on it now it's definitely up there as one of my favourite incarnations of the character.

Batman from the Arkhamverse video games is also right up there among my favourites, for me he's a combo of TAS, JL and Nolanverse Batman which inevitably means he's awesome.

#18 Edited by Jack Donaghy (1108 posts) - - Show Bio

TAS Batman is my favorite version of any fictional character ever so I choose him, Bale's Batman is a close 2nd though.

#19 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

TAS Batman. This is the main reason why.

#20 Posted by Frozen (15123 posts) - - Show Bio

@Static Shock: LOL. That was funny, but Bale's voice is better for a live-action adaption.

#21 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

@Frozen: Bale's voice could have been better, though.

#22 Posted by Frozen (15123 posts) - - Show Bio

@Static Shock said:

@Frozen: Bale's voice could have been better, though.

I liked it in Batman Begins. The others, not so much. It should have been a bit like Master Chief, I could see that working, or even Clint Eastwood.

#23 Posted by Static Shock (47329 posts) - - Show Bio

@Frozen: Meh. Lucius Fox should have made a voice modifier for him.

#24 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13637 posts) - - Show Bio

Out of the choices give, TAS rocks my socks

#25 Posted by Kairan1979 (16899 posts) - - Show Bio

@selinaky said:

I like TAS and JL/JLU Batman the best. His character and voice are just perfect!

Although I don't know if I like how Bruce turns out in Batman Beyond, but I still enjoy the show and Terry McGinnis as Batman.

Actually, the episode 'Epilogue' makes it clear that Terry mended the fences with his 'old man', so Bruce can die in peace, and maybe see the grandchildren (because Amanda Waller was right when she told Terry "You are not Bruce's clone, you are his son").

#26 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (12076 posts) - - Show Bio

Young Justice.

I am such a hipster.

#27 Posted by RustyRoy (13554 posts) - - Show Bio

Morrison's version, nothing comes close.

#28 Posted by Black_Arrow (3697 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

Morrison's version, nothing comes close.

#29 Posted by sinestro_GL (3287 posts) - - Show Bio

Tee Ay Es

#30 Posted by SuperAdam (30 posts) - - Show Bio

60's Batman, and Batman: The Brave and the Bold Cartoon. Seriously. I have a problem suspending my disbelief when I watch/read Batman. ("The Batmobile goes on high speed chases and has NEVER crashed into another car??" "Batman is just able to move out of the way of a barrage of bullets without getting hit???" "Nobody is EVER on the road that leads to the Batcave when Batman drives out of it?" "Nobody thinks to commit their crimes during the day when Batman isn't around???"... you get the idea.) Other heroes have their super powers as an excuse. (Superman doesn't carry a gun because he's bullet proof. Wonder Woman can dodge bullets because she's super-human.) I don't really like when Batman is done seriously, because of this. Not to say that I hate darker Batman. I like some of his stories. And I don't mind him as part of the Justice League and stuff. But when Batman is going solo, I have a better time accepting it when the show doesn't try to make it realistic.

#31 Posted by Gloombot (37 posts) - - Show Bio

Hush Batman

#32 Edited by redwingx (918 posts) - - Show Bio

Arkham Batman.

#33 Edited by Hungry_Sharky (515 posts) - - Show Bio

All Star Batman

#34 Edited by ULTRAstarkiller (6294 posts) - - Show Bio

Morrison > Arkham = TAS > Bale > Earth 31

#35 Edited by Tikbaz (113 posts) - - Show Bio

My personal favorites in no particular order:

DCAU Timmverse Batman

Morrison era Batman

Miller/Loeb era Batman

Arkhamverse Batman

Keaton/Burton era Batman

Nolanverse Batman

Any Superman/Batman stories; whether it's elseworlds, a versus confrontation, or just the two best heroes of all time hanging out as BFF's. Superman and Batman together are my favorite dynamic in comics, more than Rick and Carl in The Walking Dead, more than Huey and Butcher in The Boys.

Well, I also love Megatron and Starscream when they're at each others throats as well. :)

#36 Posted by tec79 (168 posts) - - Show Bio

Morrison

Miller

Loeb/Sale (I view their work as a partnership)

Oneil

Englehart

Nolan

Timm

#37 Posted by Farkam (5011 posts) - - Show Bio

Burton Batman. JLA/U Batman.

#38 Posted by MuyJingo (1936 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Morrison's Batman is the best. Bale's Batman was a Batman in name only. Not a detective, not a martial artist, no intellect, kills villains...

#39 Posted by ScouterV (1384 posts) - - Show Bio

Brave and The Bold or Beyond.

#40 Posted by Jeremy1989 (736 posts) - - Show Bio

The darkest one

#41 Posted by Knightsofdarkness2 (4215 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

#42 Posted by DarthAznable (8034 posts) - - Show Bio

Bale Batman...lmao nope

#43 Posted by Frozen (15123 posts) - - Show Bio

Bale Batman...lmao nope

Better than Keaton, though.

#44 Posted by buttersdaman000 (10268 posts) - - Show Bio

#45 Edited by RustyRoy (13554 posts) - - Show Bio

Morrison's Batman, then TAS and then TDKR and then Bale's.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.