Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23535 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Which titles should i read?

lickety

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So, I'm starting with the New52 batman comics and i'm trying to reduce my comic budget.
    For the main storyline, is it enough to read 'Batman' and 'Batman and Robin', or should i get 'Detective Comics' and 'Dark Knight' also? How important are all those titles for understending the main plot? (night of the owls, death of the family, robin's death,...)

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lickety: You can buy only one series if you want to, most of the time these are not connected to each other, just buy the ones you enjoy.

Avatar image for obsidian_raindrop1
    obsidian_raindrop1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

ok so here a video all you need to do is watch this video and understand that Barbra Gordon is batgirl again and Damian is dead (but may soon be back) oh and everyone was mad at batman but now they for give him for lying to them. batman is lying about nightwing (robin #1 being dead)

Loading Video...

the bat titles work like this.

Batman is the super hero book (start reading issue 35) this book is really fun and well written thought the writer is trying to push his oc

batman and robin is the batfamily book (robin rising omega) this book is good but it's can get weird and the art is stylized

detective comics are the detective side of batman (30) (it's like batman the animated series with better dective stories and beautiful art)

batman superman is the justice batman and superman team up book they do a more fun and more comicbooky batman (last month's issue) it's has the tone of a batman story but it's willing to have batman do thing the batman book can't the art is the bet in the batline

geryson is robin#1 book really weird but fun (go back to issue number 1 ) it is really weird if you like grant morrison you'l like ths

redhood is robin#2 book basically a bunch of colege kids henging out going on super adventures (issue 32) this is really polarizing i like but others don't

teen titans has robin#3 tim drake ho leads the team (i don't read this but i hear it's fun) (issue number on of NEW re-launch)

batgirl is going to get a new writer (so jump on in october) it's getting a new team just wait a month

the same thing is happening to catwoman issue 35 i think (THE OLD WRITER WAS CRAZZY)

batwoman is good but i don't read it.

arkham manor is coming out next month so read an article if you want to see it same of gotham academy and gotham by midnight

If you really want to read stuff her's a short list

batman court of owls

batman inc 8-13

batman and robin 10-12 18-24 30-now

batman death of the family

forever evil main book

Avatar image for obsidian_raindrop1
    obsidian_raindrop1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a great podcast that's really up beat that talk about comics they really help in letting you know whats happening in the dcu with out you having to buy a book my advice listen to the show and see if something they talked about interests you it's and totally free.

www.dcrpodcast.com

DJPrince831

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you want to reduce it to very little buy Batman and there is a kind of collection at the end of the arcs, that tell you the other stories connection.

batcat91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lickety: Well each book for the most part are separate stories and only briefly reference events from other books. The only Batman books with significant overlap if I recall correctly are Batman and Batman and Robin. You'll be fine with either Batman or Batman and Robin. Detective Comics becomes decent during Layman's brief fun and I heard bucc and manapul's run for the title is quite entertaining as well, though they're just starting out. The Dark Knight is not good at all and advise you to just skip it.

So in conclusion, Batman or Batman and Robin are solid, entertaining titles that I'd recommend picking up. Hope that helps

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You don't have to read detective comics or the dark knight. Batman is the only real essential series. For Damian's death read all of batman inc. and pick up batman and robin, if you want all the aftermath.

DJPrince831

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batcat91: well sorry to disagree but I loved Batman: The Dark Knight, and was really sad it ended. Granted I just have a difference of an opinion than you.

But generally it's unnecessary to read it.

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
    captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just buy batman, every single story snyder wrote is so good. If you just want one-shots, then buy detective comics, that comic is filled with one-shots, that's one of the reasons as for why I didn't like the new 52 detective comics.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.