Which "Death of the Family" tie-ins do you plan on buying?

• 53 results
#1 Edited by Reignmaker (2366 posts) - - Show Bio

As someone who grew up in the 90's, I've never really liked crossovers. DC was all about crossover-overkill back then. I remember when "Batman" would continuously carry over into "Detective" and then into "Shadow of the Bat" every month. Since coming back to the New 52, I've been relieved to see that this platform has been done away with (for the most part).

When "Night of the Owls" happened, I opted only to pick up a few of the tie-ins. The Batman Annual, Nightwing #8 and Nightwing #9. I was surprised just how good these were. While not needed to understand Snyder's main Owls run, they certainly added to the story in an entertaining and meaningful way. The Annual was more of a Mr. Freeze story, but I thought it was really well done and I liked the new spin on his origin. I thought the Nightwing books were simply incredible. They did an awesome job expanding Grayson's connection with the greater storyline.

Now "Death of the Family" is upon us. We all know it's going to be awesome. Like most, I absolutely love the Joker and think he's greatest villain in all of comics. I think I'm going to buy more tie-ins this time around, but I'm waiting to see which characters of the Bat Family play a more significant role in the overall story.

Anyway, I was curious which books you guys plan on getting for this story, in addition to Batman. If you're buying more than one Bat book regularly than I guess that would answer the question. But I'd be interested to hear your reasoning if you're singling out particular books just for this event.

#2 Posted by derf_jenkins (594 posts) - - Show Bio

All.

#3 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29813 posts) - - Show Bio

Batgirl for sure, maybe RHATO.

#4 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1809 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't plan on picking up any extra titles, I'll read the tie-ins that occur in the books I'm currently buying anyway. So, to answer the question, I'll be reading Batman, Nightwing, and Red Hood and the Outlaws. Although, I am considering picking up Suicide Squad... so maybe I'll jump into that with the tie-in as well. And I suppose if I have some extra cash, I'll also pick up the Batgirl tie-in, because I'm interested to see if there are still any psychological repercussions on Barbara from being crippled by him that would lead to some interesting interactions with Joker.

#5 Posted by vernierhawk001 (559 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightwing. Def. But I am going to try to stay abreast of all of them. This could be epic....I hope the other writers are up to the task

#6 Posted by Reignmaker (2366 posts) - - Show Bio

Since I only follow Batman consistently out of the bat books, I'll probably use issue #13 to hint at what to pursue. That and I'll probably look to see what reviews the other books get.

#7 Posted by cyberchop979 (465 posts) - - Show Bio

All of 'em.

#8 Posted by Gambit1024 (10217 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully all of them. If not, then I won't do Teen Titans, but other than that, this crossover has my attention.

#9 Posted by zackattack529 (1408 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightwing - because i already have been reading this title so its all the same to me

Batgirl- the moments that happened in the killing joke have been playing certain parts, in this series so im curious to see how much more joker can torture babs, and how babs can overcome it.

Suicide squad - Harley & joker....nuff said

#10 Posted by Eternal19 (2178 posts) - - Show Bio

the only other Death in the family bat-title other than "Batman" that im reading is batman and robin and I dont think Batman inc will acknowledge that Death in the family is even happening

#11 Posted by SmashBrawler (6032 posts) - - Show Bio

Only the titles I'm currently reading (Batman, Batman and Robin, Nightwing).

#12 Posted by PlasticBag (1269 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightwing for sure, Batman, and probably RHaTO.

#13 Posted by Reignmaker (2366 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually I'm now leaning towards Nightwing and Batgirl. Nightwing is one of those books that I'd probably regularly follow if I had more $ to throw around. That and the last tie-in was sooo good. Batgirl mainly for Gail Simon and Ed Benes.

#14 Posted by LexLuthor (101 posts) - - Show Bio

All of them of course.

#15 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (15329 posts) - - Show Bio

Todos.

#16 Posted by InfamousFish (378 posts) - - Show Bio

if I have money, than all of them.

#17 Posted by Saucedo17 (137 posts) - - Show Bio

Red Hood, Batgirl, Nightwing, and B&R.

#18 Edited by dirtychewbacca (7 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I'm already following Batman and Robin, so I guess I'll be picking up that one. I think it's going to be really interesting to see how the Joker decides to go after Damian, especially considering the wonderful history between the two...

So yeah.

#19 Posted by SupBatz (2059 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm reading Batman and Batman and Robin already so those two are for sure. 
I'll probably get Red Hood and the Outlaws and Batgirl despite the fact I don't usually keep up with either (anymore). 
And I'm definitely going to get Suicide Squad (can't miss Joker and Harley even though I expect it will disappoint me).
#20 Posted by Funrush (1446 posts) - - Show Bio

I will def. try to get Nightwing.

If I have extra $, I'll go for RHATO, maybe even B and R.

#21 Edited by dannymalt (76 posts) - - Show Bio

Judging by the Night of Owls Crossover, none of the tie-ins were really essential to the overall story. But neither the less I plan to read all the tie-ins for Death Of The Family anyway. Here is my breakdown of all the tie-ins in order of potential importance.

Batman - Obviously this is the main book, and Scott Snyder is writing it, so one must read it.

Red Hood And The Outlaws - I have not been blown away with this series, but because of Jason Todd's previous death by the hands of the Joker in the A Death in the Family story arc, I think this is going to be a must read tie-in.

Batgirl - Barbara Gordon and the whole The Killing Joke storyline with the Joker, are going to make her tie-ins a must read.

Suicide Squad - I've read every issue so far, and I have found the book to not be very good, except for the two issues where Harley Quinn was the main focus. So because of the Harley Quinn and Joker connection, I think this will be a promising read.

Detective Comics - Has kind of sucked since the relaunch, but they have a new creative team now, and the book has dramatically improved, plus Detective Comics #1 has set up all the stuff with the Joker's face being taken off, so there may be some good stuff here.

Batman & Robin - I've really enjoyed this book since the beginning, I love Damian. I don't think it will really be important for this story arc though, but I will read it.

Nightwing - While not a bad book. I've never found Nightwing to be essential reading. Going back to the Pre-New 52 days nothing that ever happens in Nightwing is ever important in the grand scheme of things. Skippable.

Catwoman - Has been pretty mediocre since the relaunch, and the character doesn't have much an emotional connection with the Joker. So I think it will be totally skippable.

Teen Titans - What a piece of shit book this is. Tim Drake doesn't have much of a connection with the Joker, so I think it will be pretty skippable.

#22 Posted by MisterKetch (254 posts) - - Show Bio

I think all of them except Batman and Robin, with RHATO Titans and Suicide Squad being my most anticipated. Suicide Squad because of Harley, RHATO because of Jason and Joker but also at this mini crossover in the crossover were getting between the Titans and the Outlaws.

But seriously this is going to be ridiculous I'd say im surprised the Birds of Prey aren't going to be drafted into this like they were for Night of Owls but based on the solicitations the Titans, Outlaws and Suicide Squad are all going to be in Gotham because of the Joker's return.

#23 Posted by Reignmaker (2366 posts) - - Show Bio

@dannymalt said:

Teen Titans - What a piece of shit book this is. Tim Drake doesn't have much of a connection with the Joker, so I think it will be pretty skippable.

LOL.

#24 Edited by MadeinBangladesh (10512 posts) - - Show Bio

I WANT TO BUY ALL!!! but sadly I will only be getting Batman. Main Title.

All those tie in covers look awesome!

#25 Posted by fojtikbt (148 posts) - - Show Bio

I only care what happens in Batman. Maybe Red Hood and the Outlaws to see how the Joker's return affect Jason.

#26 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17179 posts) - - Show Bio

@Reignmaker said:

@dannymalt said:

LOL.

LOL

But seriously, I am really looking forward to this. Fans of Batman that don't read comics are really going to be missing out.

#27 Posted by G_Money_Christmas (902 posts) - - Show Bio

Talon, Batman, Detective Comics, Batman and Robin, and Nightwing, maybe RHATO and/or Teen TItans

#28 Posted by X9 (824 posts) - - Show Bio

ALL OF THEM

#29 Posted by SoA (5772 posts) - - Show Bio

just like night of owls , all of em!

#30 Posted by timelord786 (192 posts) - - Show Bio

i have been waiting for them for a while and because its the joker you know it is going to be legend ... wait for it ... dary, so i have saved enough money to but all off them which is awesome!!

#31 Posted by GillaDro (275 posts) - - Show Bio

Everything but Teen Titans

#32 Posted by JoeEddie (555 posts) - - Show Bio

For now. just the Scott Snyder/Greg Capullo work. Will probably get the others when they are released in TPB

#33 Posted by Stormbox (2053 posts) - - Show Bio

All of them

#34 Posted by wessaari (730 posts) - - Show Bio

definitely Nightwing, RHTO, i dropped Batman and Robin after the past arc and the solicits for freaking zombies. so my last choice will be Batgirl. Teen Titans will somehow tie in with RHTO so that is something that I will definitely look into.

#35 Posted by GothamDet (9 posts) - - Show Bio

All of them.

The only one's I don't regularly get are Suicide Squad and Teen Titans.

#36 Posted by CobaltArchangel (38 posts) - - Show Bio

definitely going to try to get B and R, CW , DC, and if they include Birds of Prey in it. id like to see how Barbara deals with the Joker escpecially after he shot her but i havent been really impressed with Batgirl.

#37 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1395 posts) - - Show Bio

is there tie-ins to the death of the family? how can one know its a tie-in? does it say "death of the family tie-in" in for example Nightwings new comics?

#38 Posted by PortlandsBatman (223 posts) - - Show Bio

I will be getting Detective comics, because I love Batman centered stories.

#39 Edited by Reignmaker (2366 posts) - - Show Bio

@FatihBATMAN said:

is there tie-ins to the death of the family? how can one know its a tie-in? does it say "death of the family tie-in" in for example Nightwings new comics?

These are all the tie-ins.

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2012/09/28/the-jokers-back

You should know that it's not mandatory reading to understand what happens during Snyder's run on Batman. I imagine each issue will have the "Death of the Family" label on the exterior, much like the "Night of the Owls" run.

#40 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1395 posts) - - Show Bio

cool...so theres only two preludes to the death of the family arc...and thats batgirl #13 and catwoman #13....

PLUS then it will say on future comics: "Death of the family tie-in" i presume right?

#41 Posted by geoff2005 (213 posts) - - Show Bio

so i notice that the dark knight wont be having a tie in for this story arc? it seems all upcoming tittles is just about scarecrow

#42 Posted by geoff2005 (213 posts) - - Show Bio

@Reignmaker said:

@FatihBATMAN said:

These are all the tie-ins.

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2012/09/28/the-jokers-back

You should know that it's not mandatory reading to understand what happens during Snyder's run on Batman. I imagine each issue will have the "Death of the Family" label on the exterior, much like the "Night of the Owls" run.

i should have read this before i posted, whoops

#43 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1395 posts) - - Show Bio

oh yea :P

#44 Posted by Danperrin (8 posts) - - Show Bio

Im gunna be getting them all, but the prelude issues were only worth it for the die cut covers, because neither story featured much of anything that related to the upcoming crossover. One panel in Batgirl and a shadow in Catwoman. Heres hoping the future tie-ins actually matter - of course the joker smiles on the main character in the covers alone could merit the purchase price :P

Although I have strong reservations about picking up a book as terrible as Teen Titans, and Suicide Squad has not exactly been great either.

I disagree about Nightwing though, Nightwing seems to be at its best when he is in Batmans shadow, two of the best issues of Nightwing so far were the Court of Owls tie-ins, I actually fully expect his tie-in to be pretty strong.

The big question, is DC brave enough to kill some characters who carry there own bat-family titles?

#45 Posted by wessaari (730 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman, of course,

Nightwing

Batgirl

Red Hood and the Outlaws

and possibly Teen Titans, (because it is intertwined with RHTO and who would want to miss a Red Hood and Red Robin team up)

#46 Posted by Duke_Nasty (1021 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman and whatever I can find in the dollar bin.

#47 Posted by JohnnyGat (1592 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll try to get all but if I'm stuck with 3 it'll be Batman and Robin, Batman, and Red Hood and the Outlaws.

#48 Posted by TDK_1997 (15967 posts) - - Show Bio

All of them except Catwoman.

#49 Posted by fragmentmind (92 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman and robin, batman, detective comics...

#50 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3832 posts) - - Show Bio

Just the one's I'm already reading. Batman, Batgirl and Detective. I'm not even sure that Detective is part of it...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.