Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23621 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Which Bats' title should I read in the new 52?

Mr_Tasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mr_Tasty

So I know I'm going for the Green Lantern. Action comics, and one Batman comic. The problem is, is that there are way to man Batman titles to sift through in the new 52. So I need your help guys I'm clearly new to batman in general other than his base needed reading material garnered through a couple graphic novels and I need some expertise to show me the way. Which title should I choose and it can only be one!!!!!(Insert Highlander reference here)

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Caligula

well I'm picking up every Bat title in the DCnU. Well except for Batgirl because it's my own way of protesting the return of Babs as Batgirl. I want Stephanie or Cassandra. My girl Stephanie had the best on-going title in the whole DCU, and they are just pulling the plug on her run as Batgirl in the most frustrating way. But that's a rant.

MrUnknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By MrUnknown
    @Mr_Tasty: You can't go wrong with Batman.
    Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Kal'smahboi
    @Mr_Tasty: Why not...Batman?
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Caligula

but also how could anyone really say when they haven't even gotten read yet.

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
    fenixREVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By fenixREVOLUTION

Based on writers, I think Batman is the best bet with Scott Snyder and Batgirl second with Gail Simone. If you want great art, Batwoman will most likely put the other Bat books to shame.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By the_tree

If it can only be one, then you should pick Batman. Amazing writer joined by an amazing artist, it's gonna be gold.
    Whatever anybody tells you, don't pick up Detective Comics, Tony Daniel is writing.

MasonK565

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MasonK565

I am on getting 'Batman,' 'Detective Comics,' 'Batman and Robin,' 'Batman: Dark Knight,' 'Nightwing,' and 'Batwing' when it comes to the Batman titles. If you had to only get one, get 'Batman.' Scott Snyder is one hell of a writer. I also think 'Batwing' could be a real sleeper out of the new 52.

RedK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By RedK

personally i'll probably pick up all the Bat-titles but if your looking for one i'd say either Batman, Detective Comics, or Batman: Dark Knight but i only recommed those because most likely these will be solo adventures and probably won't feature Robin often, but if your a fan of Damien then deffinatly pick up Batman and Robin, the pre re-launch run was really good, and Damien is a real cool character

batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By batmanary

I'm personally picking up Batman and Robin, Nightwing and Batman. I'm not risking more delays with Dark Knight, and I do not like Tony Daniel's writing at all, and his art's gotten a bit sloppy from his run on RIP with Morrison.

ngroove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ngroove
    @Mr_Tasty said:

So I know I'm going for the Green Lantern. Action comics, and one Batman comic. The problem is, is that there are way to man Batman titles to sift through in the new 52. So I need your help guys I'm clearly new to batman in general other than his base needed reading material garnered through a couple graphic novels and I need some expertise to show me the way. Which title should I choose and it can only be one!!!!!(Insert Highlander reference here)

Extremely easy, Batman.   BATMAN has been at the main story, helm of the Bat-titles, just the same as SUPERMAN has been at the main story, helm of the Super-titles.
    keith71_98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 195

User Lists: 32

#13  Edited By keith71_98

I'm getting several of the Bat Universe books but non excite me more than Scott Snyder moving over to the main Batman book.
    bass_hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bass_hero

I think Im going to get Batman, Batman and Robin but I can't decide between detective comics or The Dark knight. Whats going to make the Dark Knight feel different to the main Batman book?

okayla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By okayla

Batwoman, Batman, Batman and Robin, Nightwing, Outlaws.  

Skip Tech.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By buttersdaman000

Nightwing and Redhood and the outlaws are the ones im definitely getting.
    Batman #1 is one im probably only going to get the first issue of
    And ill give Batwing a try.

shawn87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 602

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By shawn87

All of them!! I know I cant wait to start reading Detective Comics. I may pass on the Batman and Robin series, I haven't decided yet. 

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#18  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @ngroove said:
    @Mr_Tasty said:

Extremely easy, Batman.   BATMAN has been at the main story, helm of the Bat-titles, just the same as SUPERMAN has been at the main story, helm of the Super-titles.
    I thought as Detective Comics is the flagship book it would have the main Batman storys same goes for Action Comics being the cornerstone of the DCnU
    DukeGlendale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DukeGlendale

Pick up Batman.  Snyder and Capullo should be a pretty good team and I figure it'll be the best Bat-Book until Batman Inc starts up again.  

ngroove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ngroove
    @spiderbat87

The original titles ( Detective, Action Comics, although mainly known for Batman, Superman, respectively; DC has learned since they don't have Batman, Superman, as the title, they are more free to use said titles to try out other things, other formats, other characters, since.

Take a look at the past few, several years - DETECTIVE has since been a mystery book ( with Batwoman / Question / Batman, in mystery style adventures).  BATMAN, however, is where the big stories, big action is - whether previously under Grant Morrison with his Damian Wayne / Black Glove stories, or Tony Daniel, with his developments with Black Mask / Falcone family / Riddler / Two-Face. 

Same goes to between ACTION and SUPERMAN.  with SUPERMAN, of course, you can count on it stars Superman.  ACTION, however, been a book that allowed other Super-related characters under the spotlight, such as Lex Luthor and Jimmy Olsen.
    Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Feliciano2040

Whatever you pick, don't let your fingers touch Detective Comics, as many have said before, Tony Daniel is writing, and that man simply sucks.

TheMetalman57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am looking for a Batman comic series where it keeps the reader hooked, has/eventually has Batman's allies in some (Nightwing, all the Robins, Catwoman, Batwoman, Spoiler, Batgirl, etc), and has a nice mixture of villians (Joker, Scarecrow, Killer Croc, etc...even newer ones if need be). I understand that might be a lot to ask for since some of the these Batman comic series are still somewhat fairly new; however, I am asking anyone out there, What would be the best Batman comic series to look into for such qualifications?

SCOLTON97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themetalman57 said:

I am looking for a Batman comic series where it keeps the reader hooked, has/eventually has Batman's allies in some (Nightwing, all the Robins, Catwoman, Batwoman, Spoiler, Batgirl, etc), and has a nice mixture of villians (Joker, Scarecrow, Killer Croc, etc...even newer ones if need be). I understand that might be a lot to ask for since some of the these Batman comic series are still somewhat fairly new; however, I am asking anyone out there, What would be the best Batman comic series to look into for such qualifications?

If you want to stick with New 52, then Batman: The Dark Knight sounds like the one you're looking for. But I wouldn't limit myself to just one title if I were you - many would say Scott Snyder's Batman is the title you should most read. I'd recommend both.

Batman and Robin is a fantastic title too, but I'm not sure if it sounds like the description of what you're looking for. Although whatever you do, don't read Batman: Detective Comics - it's just bad.

---

If you want to read a Batman comic from before the New 52, I'd recommend Batman: Hush. It's probably one of the best Batman stories of all time, has amazing art from Jim Lee, and a massive cast of supporting characters, both heroes and villains. I can't recommend it highly enough.

---

Hope this helped!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.