Which Batman villain do you think is the scariest?

• 121 results
#1 Edited by BlueFlameBat (5 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally, Black Mask gives me the most creeps. The first one anyway. This guy gets off on torturing people.

The Joker may be a homicidal psychopath, and he did, at one point, beat one of the Robins almost to death (a bomb finished the job), but so far I haven't seen him use torture the way Black Mask does.

#2 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends, really.

I mean, my first instinct is to say Joker, but when you really think about it, he's only really intimidating if he has something personal against you. To the normal people, he just kills you and thinks nothing of it. He's still scary to me, though because I hate clowns.

For an honest answer, I'll say Scarecrow. There's something unsettling about a lanky guy dressed in a tattered scarecrow costume who fights with an eerie "dancing" style. He also carries a scythe. Throw his famous fear gas in the equation, and he'll be ten times worse.

#3 Posted by Joygirl (18158 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on the Scarecrow. Arkham Asylum Scarecrow was terrifying... but a lot of the time he looks like a skinny guy in a red sweater and a funny hat, which = not scary. If Scarecrow is not in a scary mood; Joker.

Also, Croc can be terrifying, done right.

#4 Posted by The_Tree (7079 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Pyg, but he's pretty terrifying.

#5 Posted by lordgman31 (25 posts) - - Show Bio

the joker a guy that can kill you and lol all day about it scarys the crap out of me.

#6 Posted by The Stegman (22780 posts) - - Show Bio

The Joker, he's just so unpredictable....that's horrifying 

#7 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

arkham asylum scarecrow

#8 Posted by Mesamia (56 posts) - - Show Bio

Arkham City Calendar Man, The stuff he was saying did creep me out a bit.

#9 Posted by GamerGeek360 (251 posts) - - Show Bio

Arkham Asylum Scarecrow probably. Those scenes and parts where you had to avoid his gaze got kind of crazy.

#10 Posted by CATPANEXE (9367 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't say I've ever found any of his scary, or terrifying. Any of them just came off to me as interesting case studies (one of the many attractions to Bat books for me).

I don't know if that's a good or bad thing? I know there's been characters in other series that made my skin crawl though, so probably not?

#11 Posted by Steps (657 posts) - - Show Bio

Arkham Asylum Scarecrow wasn't scary at all, I do admit though that when he made me think my PS3 crashed that scared me. I thought Arkham Asylum Killer Croc was way more scary. But overall I guess the most scary Bat villain for me in terms if I ever encountered them has to be Dollmaker and his family.

#12 Posted by BigCimmerian (7845 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Killer Croc, what is more frightening than a 8 feet man covered in scales who looks like a crocodile and can throw a car at you

2. Joker, enough said

3. Scarecrow, although brave people and those with great willpower probably wouldn't be afraid of him

4. Dollmaker, I think that he is the greatest psychopath after Joker

5. Mister Zsasz, I was always a little afraid of him

#13 Posted by Soulstealer (825 posts) - - Show Bio

Arkham City Mad Hatter. At first he was surprisingly lame, then I listened to the Hugo Strange interview with him and the mention of his many Alices and the search for a new one. That's all they wrote. That's a creepy guy.

Also Zsasz and his descriptions of cutting people up.

I think my imagination makes it worst, but still those are the two that get to me.

#14 Edited by Croaker (296 posts) - - Show Bio

Joker's funny. He won't need to scare me to creep me out. I won't have time to be scared of him before he has killed me.

So I'll say Jane Doe.

#15 Posted by entropy_aegis (14123 posts) - - Show Bio

Mad Hatter

Killer Croc

Clayface

#16 Edited by ngroove (321 posts) - - Show Bio

1. The Reaper(s) - all who took name, including those who wore Judson Caspian's costume, starting with Caspian, and Doctor Gruener

2. Victor Zsasz

3. Cornelius Stirk

4. Queen of Hearts

5. The Idiot

6. Savage Skull

7. Claything

8. Doctor Phosphorus

9. The Manikin

10. Werewolf (Anthony Lupus)

If Black Lanterns count, I'd clear this up, and replace with Black Lanterns, all of them (including Black Lantern Magpie).

#17 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Scarecrow.

#18 Posted by TDK_1997 (14451 posts) - - Show Bio

Killer Croc and The Joker.

#19 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (10917 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that if ANY of batman's rogues existed in reality, they would be horrendously frightening. The Jokers presence alone should scare you sh!tless because you know you're most likely going to die, The Scarecrows scare gas brings out your worst fears, Killer Croc alone is scary as DUCK because of his looks, Pyg is going is to slice and dice your face so you look like a doll, Madhatter likes to tie you up and have some tea while he drugs you..the list goes on. If this were reality, I'd be scared poopless of any of them....unless I was the Goddamned Batman ;)

#20 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree said:

I like Pyg, but he's pretty terrifying.

Ooh he's definitely spooky

Black Lanterns make me gone Fluttershy, very very very scared

#21 Posted by PunchDance (22 posts) - - Show Bio

Joker. a psycho killer clown? I'll pass.

#22 Posted by hectorsquall (1137 posts) - - Show Bio

Ted Krosby (from Batman: Tenses):

He rips out his own eye!
He wears his father's face!

COLLIN COLSHER: Ted Krosby murders hundreds of people in one single night (individually, face-to-face, not using a bomb or something), eats people, and skins his dad to wear his face Ed Gein style. (The Real Batman Chronology Project)

#23 Posted by Zomboid (740 posts) - - Show Bio

The Joker. He's just that perfect, creepy, homicidal, lunatic laughing clown.

Scarecrow comes in close though, with his fear gas and all.

#24 Posted by astrangerinthestreet (23 posts) - - Show Bio

The penguin creeps me out, but that's just because I get creeped out by combed over greasy hair and people with scrunched up evil faces. The Joker has to be one of the scariest though, just because he could do anything and you can't predict what direction he'll take things in next. If he was real the world would be nothing but cinders.

#25 Posted by spidermonkey2099 (614 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say Joker, Zsasz, Black Mask, and Scarecrow are probably the most terrifying. It really depends on the writer's interpretation of each character as to which is the scariest at any given time.

#26 Posted by badaboop (136 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah I would go with Professor Pyg also. Save for the mask, he's not scary in the physical sense, it's his damn mental state that makes me squirm every now and then. He was so disturbing in the first few issues of Batman & Robin.

#27 Posted by LordTaronji101 (277 posts) - - Show Bio

The "Scariest" would be scarecrow...because even if you werent scared of him, He will make you scared...

#28 Posted by _slim_ (13051 posts) - - Show Bio

None of them.

#29 Edited by BlackArmor (6134 posts) - - Show Bio

Court of Owls, they're always watching

Them or Scarecrow, his entire point is to be what you fear most

Court of owls = Big Brother / Scare Crow = Room 101

#30 Posted by Croaker (296 posts) - - Show Bio

@hectorsquall said:

He rips out his own eye!

COLLIN COLSHER: Ted Krosby murders hundreds of people in one single night (individually, face-to-face, not using a bomb or something), eats people, and skins his dad to wear his face Ed Gein style. (The Real Batman Chronology Project)

Now..this..is something completely different. I did not know about this character. That's just..holy shit.

#31 Posted by Dcrazydude (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Hugo Strange- That dude is pretty insane his just enough to give you the creeps

#32 Posted by Spectre108 (269 posts) - - Show Bio

@hectorsquall said:

He rips out his own eye!

I was reading this in the middle of the night last year, and actually had to put it down because it was freaky.

#33 Posted by whoohoo789 (217 posts) - - Show Bio

the joker have you playd arkham asylem the video game

#34 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (9503 posts) - - Show Bio

BATMAN!!!

#35 Edited by CrimsonCake (2668 posts) - - Show Bio

His presence gives off an eerie atmosphere much more terrifying then the joker...

#36 Posted by venomyak (1443 posts) - - Show Bio

Scarecrow or maybe Killer Croc if you play their arkham asylum missions in the middle of the night it will give you the creeps!

#37 Posted by entropy_aegis (14123 posts) - - Show Bio

Clayface.

#38 Posted by sinestro_GL (3030 posts) - - Show Bio

Scarecrow with the gas.

Bane for his huge size.

Croc for his appearance.

Two Face would be pretty dams scary as well

#39 Posted by jokersglee (7 posts) - - Show Bio

Once the Joker has his attention on you its only a matter of time of when he plays a sick twisted game with you. He not only would attack you physically but use your own fears and doubts against you psychologically. Truly a twisted genius that is really amusing himself by torturing others. Whether its justifying his views or running wild the last thing you want the Joker to do is notice you in the crowd.

#40 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

The henchmen in the killing joke... God they terrify me. The Joker too for letting those things just walk around.

#41 Posted by The Monkey Manhunter (72 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to say Scarecrow he will do anything including shreding people up and laying them around a cornfield (Blackest Night) and Joker because of his creepy smile and the fact that you never know what he's going to do next.

#42 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8846 posts) - - Show Bio

Scarecrow and The Joker

#43 Posted by TheGremlin (58 posts) - - Show Bio

Alfred. He's actually the criminal mastermind behind all the villains just so he can keep Batman occupied while he secretly robs Bruce Wayne of all his money. He's like my old babysitter but far smarter about it. Plus remember in Dark Knight when he said he burned down a whole forest just to catch a daimond theif? That qualifies him as a lunatic with a thirst for blood and vengeance as well as an eco terrorist. Plus I think he's Welsh...ewww.

#44 Posted by nickzambuto (12681 posts) - - Show Bio

How is Joker not the unanimous answer? This guy invents new forms of torture. Hell forget torture; he's talked his own therapists into committing suicide.

#45 Posted by TheCannon (17841 posts) - - Show Bio

Scarecrow.

#46 Posted by GuasonTF (5 posts) - - Show Bio

1.Scarecrow when your drugged by his fear gas.

2.Joker in psycho mode.

#47 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned Victor Zsasz, that guy creeps me the hell out.

#48 Posted by RUKM (279 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mesamia: OMG yeah WTF?! Was that!

#49 Posted by RUKM (279 posts) - - Show Bio

ummm... Bane, Hush, and Clayface.

#50 Posted by Magneto14 (53 posts) - - Show Bio

Professor Pyg, his idea of perfection is distrubing to say the least...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.