Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23651 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Which Batman Do You Find More Interesting: Sane or Insane

• 84 results
    RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@tupiaz: You're talking about Nolan's Batman, that's not the definitive Batman. Anyway Batman is an idea, he wanted be a little dramatic about he's appearance, that doesn't make him insane and he doesn't have any fetish for bats. he's not obsessed with bats. Captain America dresses up like american flag, Daredevil dresses up as a devil, Namor wears panties, god knows what wolverine's costume is supposed to represent. 50% of the superhero community dress up as lunatics that's supposed to make then insane. Sanity/insanity is judged by behavior not appearance.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@rustyroy said:

@tupiaz: You're talking about Nolan's Batman, that's not the definitive Batman. Anyway Batman is an idea, he wanted be a little dramatic about he's appearance, that doesn't make him insane and he doesn't have any fetish for bats. he's not obsessed with bats. Captain America dresses up like american flag, Daredevil dresses up as a devil, Namor wears panties, god knows what wolverine's costume is supposed to represent. 50% of the superhero community dress up as lunatics that's supposed to make then insane. Sanity/insanity is judged by behavior not appearance.

Nope I'm not talking about Nolan's Batman. Not obsessed with bats? All his gadgets has something to do with bats. Captain Americans suit was giving to him doing WW2. Pretty sure Logans costume should look like a Wolverine. Daredevil took the name Daredevil because he was sarcastic called this as a chid guess he feel like a devil costume was the most logic choice. By the way that other superheroes have their issues doesn't mean Bruce doesn't have his.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@tupiaz: Captain America dresses up like american flag, Daredevil dresses up as a devil, Namor wears panties, god knows what wolverine's costume is supposed to represent. 50% of the superhero community dress up as lunatics that's supposed to make then insane. Sanity/insanity is judged by behavior not appearance.

Exactly my and many guys here point.

@tupiaz said:

Nope I'm not talking about Nolan's Batman. Not obsessed with bats? All his gadgets has something to do with bats. Captain Americans suit was giving to him doing WW2. Pretty sure Logans costume should look like a Wolverine. Daredevil took the name Daredevil because he was sarcastic called this as a chid guess he feel like a devil costume was the most logic choice. By the way that other superheroes have their issues doesn't mean Bruce doesn't have his.

Having issues dont mean you are insane, if Bruce is insane by having issues, every other person with issues is insane.

Batman is the only hero that know he is not going to be in earth forever, he is the only hero that knows that crime is not the problem, is something bigger and his war is against that, thats why hee need to be a symbol that fights a war against human biggest problem, being inhuman against other humans.

If his wars was against crime, he would attack people that copies movies, prostitutes, and others that even when they are "criminals" arent inhuman against other humans.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz said:

@rustyroy said:

That's because it makes those cool. Btw get your facts right, the comic Batman took the name because a Bat crashed in his rooms when he was searching for an inspiration to fight crime, it may not be a good one but he took what he got at that time. This is just the same with CA, Daredevil and other heroes, that doesn't make him insane.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@tupiaz said:

@rustyroy said:

That's because it makes those cool. Btw get your facts right, the comic Batman took the name because a Bat crashed in his rooms when he was searching for an inspiration to fight crime, it may not be a good one but he took what he got at that time. This is just the same with CA, Daredevil and other heroes, that doesn't make him insane.

In year one where the Bat comes crashing into the window Bruce mention he experienced being frightened him as a boy (Chapter one page 22) It is a way to deal with is fear as a boy. So I got my fact straight. Batman's point is to give the fear he himself had as boy with the bat.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz: Yeah so he overcame he's fear of bats, how does that make him insane.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@tupiaz: Yeah so he overcame he's fear of bats, how does that make him insane.

Didn't say he overcome it. If you think so you better prove it.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz: I remember him saying he was affraid of it as a boy, was it in the man who falls? Its been a long while since last read the comics though I pretty sure he said something like that and again that doesn't make him insane.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@tupiaz: I remember him saying he was affraid of it as a boy, was it in the man who falls? Its been a long while since last read the comics though I pretty sure he said something like that and again that doesn't make him insane.

It really depends on how you define insane. Insane in like a Moon Knight kind of way or that he is hallucinating no. However I find him not more sane that for instance the Riddler.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz: Insane is not used as a therm anymore, only by lawyers, because it was really hard to say when a person was insane.

But what people and the lwa calls insane, is a person that dont know what is he doingis out of control, has no moral lines and dont know there is wrong and right.

Batman knows and is in control of his actions, he is a freacking superhero that dont kill.

Again The Punisher is insane, still people belive he is sane since the guy dont use a costume.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By RustyRoy

@tupiaz said:

@rustyroy said:

It really depends on how you define insane. Insane in like a Moon Knight kind of way or that he is hallucinating no. However I find him not more sane that for instance the Riddler.

It actually depends on the writer. Everyone writes Superman almost the same way but every writer tries to experiment with Batman.

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure there IS a sane Batman.

He's a guy who had childhood trauma 20+ years ago and is acting out by picking fights with criminals night-after-night on the streets.

If he were more sane he'd be a better Bruce Wayne. He'd leverage his resources and fight crime in a healthier way.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crash_recovery said:

I'm not sure there IS a sane Batman.

He's a guy who had childhood trauma 20+ years ago and is acting out by picking fights with criminals night-after-night on the streets.

If he were more sane he'd be a better Bruce Wayne. He'd leverage his resources and fight crime in a healthier way.

This.

@tupiaz: Insane is not used as a therm anymore, only by lawyers, because it was really hard to say when a person was insane.

But what people and the lwa calls insane, is a person that dont know what is he doingis out of control, has no moral lines and dont know there is wrong and right.

Batman knows and is in control of his actions, he is a freacking superhero that dont kill.

Again The Punisher is insane, still people belive he is sane since the guy dont use a costume.

Sure insane is term you can use. It is used in phsychology.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz: No is not, they dont use the therm anymore, is only used only by lawyers. at this point.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Any version that does not angst over his parent's death

HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supbatz said:

Batman isn't insane. He's a fanatic. And that's the way I like him.

There's a difference?

HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dark_Slayor: Wolverine is insane, evidence:

He watched two brothers having sex

In order for squick clarification, PLEASE clarify.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Both, though insane is more badass !

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@supbatz said:

Batman isn't insane. He's a fanatic. And that's the way I like him.

There's a difference?

A rather large difference I'd argue. He's definitely passionate about what he does (probably too passionate). But that doesn't make him insane in my book ^^.

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
    Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like them both the same.

HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SERIOUSLY! CAN SOMEONE please CLARIFY WHAT DARK_SALOR SAID!?

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

Insane Batman is a dick.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Sane batman is better and makes more sense. Batman does have issues but that doesnt mean he's insane. And also if batman was insane why would he have the trust of people like Superman, Alfred, and Nightwing. Batman is obsessed. but not insane

rolldestroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

definitely sane.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hewhosees: During the original run of Ultimates, Quicksilver and Scarlett With had sex, Wolverin was watching, you can find the image everywhere.

I think Sane batman is better and makes more sense. Batman does have issues but that doesnt mean he's insane. And also if batman was insane why would he have the trust of people like Superman, Alfred, and Nightwing. Batman is obsessed. but not insane

QFT!!!!

HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hewhosees: During the original run of Ultimates, Quicksilver and Scarlett With had sex, Wolverin was watching, you can find the image everywhere.

@eternal19 said:

QFT!!!!

1. Those AREN'T brothers. That's brother and sister.

2. That's an ALTERNATE UNIVERSE Wolverine, and not cannonical 616 wolvy.

roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#78  Edited By roboadmiral

@tupiaz said:

@rustyroy said:

I'm not sure you've ever seen a wolverine, because his costume definitely doesn't look like one.

Comics Wolverine
    Comics Wolverine
    real wolverine
    real wolverine

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hewhosees: TSo Heterosexual incest is less or more anything?, i forget to point any of their genders, because dont matter what, is incest and he was watching.

Sure because watching incest as a voyeur nutjob tha try to score with a 16 year old girlfriend of Spiderman is a whole other thing from a maniac that cuts people heads, stab them to death, drinks, smokes and have sex with Mystique when she is using another form.

No Caption Provided

Also, is hadr to belive he is sane when he looks like a hobo Paris Hilton, why he has such a girly dog?

No Caption Provided

Hell Yeah!!!

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@roboadmiral: I have not in nature but on pictures.

I still believe the idea was to give him an iconic costue that we give the idea of an animal/wolverine. In the same way Spider-man give the idea of a spider, even though he doesn't real look like one. Mostly it is the thing around his eyes.

HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hewhosees: TSo Heterosexual incest is less or more anything?, i forget to point any of their genders, because dont matter what, is incest and he was watching.

Sure because watching incest as a voyeur nutjob tha try to score with a 16 year old girlfriend of Spiderman is a whole other thing from a maniac that cuts people heads, stab them to death, drinks, smokes and have sex with Mystique when she is using another form.

No Caption Provided

Also, is hadr to belive he is sane when he looks like a hobo Paris Hilton, why he has such a girly dog?

No Caption Provided

Hell Yeah!!!

1. Hey, it's bad either way, but you were still wrong in specifying which.

2. Again, that WASN'T cannon wolverine. Don't get me wrong. Wolvy's a maniac, but he never went THAT far in 616.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hewhosees: I am the only person that remember Wolverine as he was before being popular, the guy killed a lot back in the day.

HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hewhosees: I am the only person that remember Wolverine as he was before being popular, the guy killed a lot back in the day.

Asshole, I KNOW. In fact, I SAID that 616 is loonier than all the characters created by or directed by Chuck Jones combined. All I'm saying is that, compared to ULTIMATE UNIVERSE Wolvy, 616 Wolvy is the picture of mental health. Relative to an average joe, he's still nutty, but NOT as nutty as his Ultimate counterpart.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#84  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

100% unadulterated insanity

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First, I'd like to say that that "Insane" is not a medical term (not anymore at least). It is an archaic term from a period when mentally ill people would be locked away and treated quite badly.

Is Batman insane? That's a very vague question. It really depends on what you mean by 'insane.' Is he sitting naked on the floor in a fetal position taking to imaginary people? No. of course not. Is he not well adjusted with various unresolved emotional issues? Hell yes. If we took Batman out of the comic universe and put him into the real world, then it would be no question that he is not well and should seek psychological help, but in the context of a comic book universe with hundreds of costumed superheroes running (or flying) around, I guess he would be not that much out of the norm.

I'd also like to say that Batman still has some form of mental illness (to what extent depends on the writer). He was just a kid when his parent were murdered within feet of him. Of course that would screw up anyone. So there he is suffering from PTSD or some traumatic condition. Next he doesn't go through the grief process and learn to live like a mentally healthy person, he instead deals with his grief (and his abundant anger) by obsessively training and devoting his life to fighting crime from the shadows. No matter how much of a fan of his you are, you can't see that as a healthy way of dealing with tragedy. Next instead of using his vast wealth to devote to charity and philanthropy, (he does give some, but he could do better) the face he puts on for the world is a vain carefree billionaire. So he rejects being a real person and is always playing some kind of pre-fabricated role. The Bruce Wayne he allows the world to see isn't the real man but just another mask, so one could argue that there is some kind of identity issues there as well.

So, I don't think Batman is mentally ill to the point where he should be institutionalized, but a visit to a psychiatrist once a week would do him a lot of good (though he would never do that because he is also obsessively secretive)

As for what I prefer, I like it when writers present us with a Batman that isn't perfect because flaws are really what makes characters interesting. I really liked the scene from a Nightwing issue where he questions if he is a bad son because, unlike Bruce, he doesn't visit his parent's grave every week or have all the clocks in his house set to the time they died. Just goes to show that Batman will never let himself move on from his tragedy, while Dick was able to come to terms with his grief.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.