When does Batman sleep?

#1 Posted by MrShway88 (672 posts) - - Show Bio

I mean I have panels where he gets up earlier to train but stays up late solving crimes. He sometimes also works as Batman during the day and still needs to do his "Bruce Wayne" stuff during the day. When does he ever get any sleep?

#2 Posted by JakeN7 (12742 posts) - - Show Bio

Sleep?

#3 Posted by joshmightbe (24967 posts) - - Show Bio

Lets be honest here, in real life even the healthiest human would die on Batman's sleep schedule alone

#4 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

I figured that before patrols, he'll show up at a nighclub, gala, or formal affair, pretend to get/be whiteboy-chocolate wasted, and slip away. That way, he appears to have a social life and no one questions why the hungover playboy with a BAC of 190 proof is rarely seen at all in the daylight. He probably has a schedule of activity-brief rest-activity-brief rest. One of my professors used to be an overnight personal gaurd. He said his team used to rotate 30 minute naps every five hours. They'd never get wake up groggy or feel tired, apparently.

#5 Posted by Wolfrazer (7280 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:

Lets be honest here, in real life even the healthiest human would die on Batman's sleep schedule alone

Batman has a sleep schedule? Even by comic standards, he really should be dead or at the very least very very very drained of energy. I mean...I guess you could say he takes pills or does something else, but then that isn't exactly healthy for a person's body either. I know, I know, its all comic logic...but even so at times its like "What?"
#6 Posted by Matchstick (565 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought he had some deal where he would meditate for a hour or so and it'd be like getting a full nights rest. I remember reading something like that in the novelization of Knightfall back in the day/

#7 Posted by ColonelRunAway (370 posts) - - Show Bio

Look at this fool.

The man literally won't even sleep when he's dead.

#8 Posted by joshmightbe (24967 posts) - - Show Bio

@Wolfrazer: Have you seen the thing about his work out routine? Its insane to believe anyone who wasn't super human would have the energy to walk afterward let alone fight crime

#9 Posted by judasnixon (6708 posts) - - Show Bio

Bat-Nodoz!

#10 Posted by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

when alfred forces him

#11 Posted by Joygirl (20064 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman doesn't sleep. He just waits.

#12 Posted by TheBane2890 (1958 posts) - - Show Bio

This is Batman's sleep routine...

#13 Posted by MrShway88 (672 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheBane2890: Is...Is that even a real thing? If so I so got to learn that.

#14 Edited by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman doesn't need to sleep because VENGEANCE keeps him energized.

#15 Posted by fury714 (589 posts) - - Show Bio

^QFT

#16 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725 said:

when alfred forces him

#17 Posted by Alchemax_7 (347 posts) - - Show Bio

Who needs sleep when you could be doing PUSH-UPS AND OTHER STRENUOUS ACTIVITIES BEFORE VIGOROUS CRIME FIGHTING. I KNOW I WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO DO S@!T THE NEXT MORNING IF I DIDN'T.

#18 Posted by JohnnyGat (1573 posts) - - Show Bio

When his mom kisses him goodnight

#19 Posted by serpent222 (319 posts) - - Show Bio

@MrShway88 said:

@TheBane2890: Is...Is that even a real thing? If so I so got to learn that.

It is, but it's hell adjusting to it, and not everyone can. I've done it for a short period, and know 3 or 4 other people that did too.

And let's not forget, that occasionally, he gets a nice recharge period when he's knocked out for 2 or 3 days.

#20 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, there was an issue of Morrison's Batman that depicted Bruce's schedule as this: At 3pm he's still asleep, at five he's working out, at seven he has dinner, and at nine he works on modifying his cowl.

I think that Bruce is constantly training to keep himself at the peak of humanity, so he probably has a higher degree of endurance and fatigue resistance then the average Joe. Plus, as aforementioned, he has his VENGEANCE to drive him!

#21 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5546 posts) - - Show Bio

He doesn't , that's his superpower. He doesn't want to reveal his meta human status
and make the rest of the BatFamily feel bad.

#22 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5546 posts) - - Show Bio

How else would you explain him knowing 127 forms of martial arts and only be 35 ? In addition to the fact he didn't start his quest to be the Bat until he was 10.

#23 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know how you view the frequency of story arcs in the Batman universe but I always thought of them as being a while apart. For Instance The Owls arc and DOTF happened, in my head, several weeks, months apart, and in between things were relatively quiet, so his body has time to heal and he has time to hone his skills and sleep. Just some justifying internal logic.

#24 Posted by Immortal777 (7702 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman doesn't need to sleep so why should Batman have to?

Superman>=Batman

#25 Posted by Batnandez (511 posts) - - Show Bio

During the day

#26 Posted by desmond006 (597 posts) - - Show Bio

@WaveMotionCannon: thats a good explanation.

#27 Posted by TheHulk (828 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably never because crime constantly happening in Gotham.

#28 Posted by batshrine (1000 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheBane2890 said:

This is Batman's sleep routine...

I also read another issue where he learned meditation techniques that allow him to sleep a full nights rest within one hour.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.