Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23635 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Whats the Future of the Cowl?

EmperorJosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By EmperorJosh

Am I the only one who doesn't like the future of Batman? I feel like Damian is eventually going to run the legacy of Batman into the ground and after that, will Terry McGinnis have to restore the greatness to the name of Batman?

serpent222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By serpent222

Conceptually speaking, I expect that Terry McGinnis will be altered to take over kind of after the current bat legacy dies off, rather than be trained by Batman, but trained by Batman's replacement. I'm not sure if Damian will take over yet, and I think there is still a good chance that Grayson or Drake take the mantle.

In practice, though, I expect reboot after reboot to keep Bruce Wayne in the roll for like...ever.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#3  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@serpent222 said:

Conceptually speaking, I expect that Terry McGinnis will be altered to take over kind of after the current bat legacy dies off, rather than be trained by Batman, but trained by Batman's replacement. I'm not sure if Damian will take over yet, and I think there is still a good chance that Grayson or Drake take the mantle.

In practice, though, I expect reboot after reboot to keep Bruce Wayne in the role for like...ever.

pretty much this

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Stormbox
    the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By the_tree
    BlueArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BlueArrow

@EmperorJosh: @Stormbox: @serpent222: @Avenging-X-Bolt:

So if I recall, when Batman dies, Waller makes Terry, but Damien takes over and when Terry becomes a Teenager, comes out about who he really is to Batman(Damien). Then, Damien gives him the mantel because people lost faith in Batman since Damien kills people so Terry goes and restores it to what the Batman symbol once meant.

Neither Nightwing or Red Robin will take the mantel as of now. it goes from Bruce to Dick, back to Bruce then Damien then Terry. Right?

I believe this is how it has been laid out. Correct me if I am wrong.

EmperorJosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EmperorJosh

@BlueArrow said:

So if I recall, when Batman dies, Waller makes Terry, but Damien takes over and when Terry becomes a Teenager, comes out about who he really is to Batman(Damien). Then, Damien gives him the mantel because people lost faith in Batman since Damien kills people so Terry goes and restores it to what the Batman symbol once meant.

Neither Nightwing or Red Robin will take the mantel as of now. it goes from Bruce to Dick, back to Bruce then Damien then Terry. Right?

This is what I thought may be true, but if this was true, that would mean that Damien would be the immediate predecessor to Terry, when in Batman Beyond, it clearly states that Bruce was the one to dawn the mantle last... who knows though.

serpent222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By serpent222

@EmperorJosh said:

@BlueArrow said:

This is what I thought may be true, but if this was true, that would mean that Damien would be the immediate predecessor to Terry, when in Batman Beyond, it clearly states that Bruce was the one to dawn the mantle last... who knows though.

Yeah, that's what messes with me too. Bruce was the mentor to Terry the whole time, and it was portrayed that Terry took it right up from Bruce.

BlueArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BlueArrow

@serpent222 said:

@EmperorJosh said:

@BlueArrow said:

Yeah, that's what messes with me too. Bruce was the mentor to Terry the whole time, and it was portrayed that Terry took it right up from Bruce.

I think that is in the TV show, which was created before the character Damien was even created. Now that Damien is created, the comic book has an altered timeline where Damien gets it next.

BUT!!!, if you read the latest Batman Inc where Batman see how screwed up the future becomes where Damien is Batman, he might not let Damien become Batman and give it to Terry to prevent the 666 (Batman inc. #5) future.

briangsharon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By briangsharon

I like to think of Batwoman/Batwing/Batman inc out of continuity ... alas .... here we are.

Snyder barely* references any of those titles.

serpent222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By serpent222

Yeah, it's quite difficult to incorporate all of the different changes together, and it may well end up being an agitating multi-universe/alternate future sort of solution.

Ideally, as a matter of preference, I'd want it to go like this: Bruce dies (not that I want to see it happen, but he'll go til he dies in my mind) prematurely -- Grayson takes over as Batman -- Damian takes over when Grayson gets too old and retires (with the rest of the bat family around to keep him in line) -- Terry learns from Damian and we get the Beyond future.

EmperorJosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By EmperorJosh

@serpent222 said:

Yeah, it's quite difficult to incorporate all of the different changes together, and it may well end up being an agitating multi-universe/alternate future sort of solution.

Ideally, as a matter of preference, I'd want it to go like this: Bruce dies (not that I want to see it happen, but he'll go til he dies in my mind) prematurely -- Grayson takes over as Batman -- Damian takes over when Grayson gets too old and retires (with the rest of the bat family around to keep him in line) -- Terry learns from Damian and we get the Beyond future.

That's probably the most accepted and clear version of what will happen.

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FatihBATMAN

I hope No one takes the mantle after Bruce, there should be one Batman and thats Bruce.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RustyRoy

@FatihBATMAN said:

I hope No one takes the mantle after Bruce, there should be one Batman and thats Bruce.

Pretty much this though Damian is awesome as Batman and I hope we get a Graphic Novel about him as Batman.

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FatihBATMAN

like in Batman RIP; someone may takeup the mantle a short period, but Bruce will always return...

I think (hope) that Bruce will also wont go away/die etc.

so in that regard Bruce is and will permenantly be Batman I think.

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By batshrine

I don't care for that future so much, but I also know that it is just a possible future. I care more about the present and current Batman. There will be no real replacement for Bruce cause Bruce is Batman :-P.

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FatihBATMAN

@batshrine said:

There will be no real replacement for Bruce cause Bruce is Batman :-P.

I support this :)

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bruce was Batman before I was born, and i've always had the sense he'd be Batman long after i'm dead. However, I see the current chain of ascendance as this: Bruce->Dick->Damian->Terry

Though with Batman Inc. Bruce (Never can tell if its supposed to be a different universe or not) talking about how Damian being Batman ruins the future, Damian may not be in the chain anymore.

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FatihBATMAN

If any of DC employees out there are reading this! Dont let Bruce Wayne give up the mantle EVER!!! ya heard!!

roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By roboadmiral

@briangsharon said:

I like to think of Batwoman/Batwing/Batman inc out of continuity ... alas .... here we are.

Yeah. . . this. Can we just keep Bruce forever? It's worked out pretty well for the last 70+ years and while I haven't read it (but I would like to) I'm not a fan of Batman Inc on a conceptual level. But more on topic: Anyone else would be a Batman, but wouldn't properly be The Batman if that makes any sense. It takes a certain obsession and fortitude that I don't think any of the Robins have.

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FatihBATMAN

agreed!!

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By colonyofcells

Maybe Bruce Wayne will become immortal and be batman forever and start wearing an Iron Man costume.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By KnightRise

Damian's still only 10, once he grows up physically and mentally he'll make a fine Batman. I mean besides starting the Apocalypse and all

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@KnightRise said:

Damian's still only 10, once he grows up physically and mentally he'll make a fine Batman. I mean besides starting the Apocalypse and all

And don't forget selling his soul to the devil and planting bombs throughout the city! Lord knows those are important.

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Crash_Recovery

There's no "locked in" future for Batman. We've seen so many possible futures in different mediums. Even if we only count comic future versions and then look at the MOST iconic, we have Kingdom Come, Dark Knight Returns and a handful of others.

We're never going to hit any of these timelines. Batman exists in a time bubble and even if there are Batman comics set in the future, none of them are the single definitive future of the character.

Arkhamc1tizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 33

#26  Edited By Arkhamc1tizen

zur en rah

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By KnightRise

@Nathaniel_Christopher said:

@KnightRise said:

And don't forget selling his soul to the devil and planting bombs throughout the city! Lord knows those are important.

The bombs were booby trap failsafes and he sold his pickles to be able to protect Gotham.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#28  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@briangsharon: Why on earth would Batwoman/Batwing be out of canon?

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@KnightRise said:

@KnightRise said:

The bombs were booby trap failsafes and he sold his pickles to be able to protect Gotham.

Which is why I mentioned them, because they're important aspects of future Damian-Bats.

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By havoc1201

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

because they suck lol

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#31  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@havoc1201 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

because they suck lol

...you'v never read Batwoman have you?

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By havoc1201

it was a joke

EmperorJosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By EmperorJosh

@roboadmiral said:

@briangsharon said:

Yeah. . . this. Can we just keep Bruce forever? It's worked out pretty well for the last 70+ years and while I haven't read it (but I would like to) I'm not a fan of Batman Inc on a conceptual level. But more on topic: Anyone else would be a Batman, but wouldn't properly be The Batman if that makes any sense. It takes a certain obsession and fortitude that I don't think any of the Robins have.

You're right. "The Batman" is Bruce Wayne, but there have been many other "Batmen" throughout the years, this including Azrael, Dick Grayson, Tim Drake, Jason Todd, amongst others. For DC Comics' sake, Bruce Wayne will most likely never pushed out of the main continuity for good. The whole "future" concept is just out of curiosity. Bruce Wayne will never die. Everyone who has grown up in America for the past 70 years knows who Batman is. Batman as billionaire, philanthropist, playboy by day Bruce Wayne, and the justice seeking Dark Knight by Knightfall(pun intended). Bruce Wayne is a pop culture icon, and will live forever!

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By KnightRise

@KnightRise said:

@KnightRise said:

Which is why I mentioned them, because they're important aspects of future Damian-Bats.

I'd love to see more stories of BatDamian. The fact that he acknowledges his failings makes me want to read more

^why the hell does that say "sold his pickles"??? lmao

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@KnightRise said:

@KnightRise said:

@KnightRise said:

I'd love to see more stories of BatDamian. The fact that he acknowledges his failings makes me want to read more

^why the hell does that say "sold his pickles"??? lmao

Yeah I was wondering that to lol thought it was just an allusion I wasn't getting.

I find Adult Damian to be far more interesting than Current Damian, which I guess makes sense as he's grown into himself as an adult and has settled on who he is and such.

FatihBATMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By FatihBATMAN

Agreed again... Lets hope theres a Bruce Wayne in the Justice League movie and not JGL "John Blake" kinda stuff... Although i totally see WB doing a dumb move like that..

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FatihBATMAN said:

Agreed again... Lets hope theres a Bruce Wayne in the Justice League movie and not JGL "John Blake" kinda stuff... Although i totally see WB doing a dumb move like that..

Well, if they do it that way it does keep things in continuity. Only real problem is that Blake simply isn't that interesting and at the same time, I don't really want a Justice League movie with an unexperienced Batman.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.