What's the best New 52 batman comic?

#1 Posted by rolldestroyer (3508 posts) - - Show Bio

you can name an issue or a story arc.............

#2 Posted by RustyRoy (10846 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman and Robin in my opinion. Pretty much every issue is great but the annual was the best. I haven't picked up B&R 18 yet but everyone I know is saying its the best one yet.

#3 Posted by gotwillpower (679 posts) - - Show Bio

Right now, probably Batman and Robin or Batman Inc. Until Batman Zero Year starts, they'll probably stay in that position. Although, Greg Capullo's art has been the best of any Bat-book (and probably any DC book) since the New 52 started.

#4 Posted by ccraft (5036 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman and Robin 18, I never thought I'd ever almost cry about comic.. So sad.

#5 Posted by TDK_1997 (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

Currently Batman and Robin and Batman Inc.

#6 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say the best issue has been Batman and Robin annual. 18 is great but I thought the annual just did more than this last silent issue.

#7 Edited by Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray (745 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman & Robin annual was brilliant. I haven't read #18 yet (getting it tomorrow).

#8 Posted by Stronger (4948 posts) - - Show Bio

IMO, Detective comics.

And then Batman.

#9 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman Inc.

#10 Posted by arnoldoaad (1007 posts) - - Show Bio

@RustyRoy said:

Batman and Robin in my opinion. Pretty much every issue is great but the annual was the best. I haven't picked up B&R 18 yet but everyone I know is saying its the best one yet.

@Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray said:

Batman & Robin annual was brilliant. I haven't read #18 yet (getting it tomorrow).

this is funny that both of you put B&R as the best and haven read the last issue because it was by far the best issue in the entire series, I just checked IGN reviews and they gave B&R a 10/10, a masterpiece score, the last time that happen was with Batman #5, the labyrinth chp and i cant remeber the time before that one so this is a huge a complishment

#11 Posted by Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray (745 posts) - - Show Bio

@arnoldoaad said:

@RustyRoy said:

this is funny that both of you put B&R as the best and haven read the last issue because it was by far the best issue in the entire series, I just checked IGN reviews and they gave B&R a 10/10, a masterpiece score, the last time that happen was with Batman #5, the labyrinth chp and i cant remeber the time before that one so this is a huge a complishment

I haven't been this excited for an issue for a while now, tomorrow can't come soon enough! By the way, last time I remember a 10/10 was Batman #17; http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/02/12/batman-17-review.

#12 Posted by TDK_1997 (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

@Stronger said:

IMO, Detective comics.

And then Batman.

Current Detective Comics or Tony Daniel's?

#13 Posted by Stronger (4948 posts) - - Show Bio

@TDK_1997 said:

@Stronger said:

IMO, Detective comics.

And then Batman.

I love both.

#14 Posted by arnoldoaad (1007 posts) - - Show Bio

@arnoldoaad said:

@RustyRoy said:

I haven't been this excited for an issue for a while now, tomorrow can't come soon enough! By the way, last time I remember a 10/10 was Batman #17; http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/02/12/batman-17-review.

oh, yeah 17 got 10/10, but point is that it is not a common thing

#15 Posted by TDK_1997 (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

@Stronger said:

@TDK_1997 said:

@Stronger said:

IMO, Detective comics.

And then Batman.

I love both.

You liked Daniel's run on Detective Comics?

#16 Posted by Stronger (4948 posts) - - Show Bio

@TDK_1997: What's your point?

#17 Posted by TDK_1997 (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

@Stronger: Well his run started interesting and well and then it just took the way to making new stupid villains that had no characterization and things were wrapping up too fast than they should've.

#18 Posted by End_Boss (725 posts) - - Show Bio

@gotwillpower said:

Greg Capullo's art has been the best of any Bat-book (and probably any DC book) since the New 52 started.

Someone hasn't been reading their Batwoman.

#19 Edited by Stronger (4948 posts) - - Show Bio

@TDK_1997: Well I am not exactly familiar with Daniel's work.

But the New 52 series is awesome.That's a fact.

#20 Posted by Reignmaker (2227 posts) - - Show Bio

Going off what we've seen since the New 52, Batman is the best for its consistent quality. Batman & Robin has reached greater heights but has also dropped to lower lows in terms of quality. After that you have everything else. If you're a Grant Morrison fan, I'd say Batman Inc. takes up the number 3 slot.

#21 Posted by The_Tree (7200 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman Incorporated, followed by Batman and Robin.

#22 Posted by TDK_1997 (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

@Stronger: Only Layman's current story.

#23 Posted by frostphoenix (40 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman and robin is one of the best batman comics out there. The story and the art are great in every issue.

Issue number 18 was just heart breaking and beautiful.

#24 Posted by SmashBrawler (5490 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. Batman Incorporated
  2. Batman and Robin
  3. Detective Comics (ONLY Layman's run)
#25 Posted by entropy_aegis (14208 posts) - - Show Bio

Detective comics under Layman is by far the most consistent in terms of quality.

Batman and Robin has been both incredible and awful,though it's been awesome lately.

INC(v2) is solid,but compared to Grant's earlier Batman work it's mediocre.

Batman is more like an encyclopedia to me,it tells me everything I already know and and pushes ideas that I heartily dislike.

The Dark Knight is meh.

#26 Edited by The Stegman (23014 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman>Batman&Robin>Detective Comics>Batman Inc=Batman, The Dark Knight

#27 Posted by TDK_1997 (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

Detective comics under Layman is by far the most consistent in terms of quality.

Batman and Robin has been both incredible and awful,though it's been awesome lately.

INC(v2) is solid,but compared to Grant's earlier Batman work it's mediocre.

Batman is more like an encyclopedia to me,it tells me everything I already know and and pushes ideas that I heartily dislike.

The Dark Knight is meh.

Although I wrote what my opinion is,this describes it pretty well also.

#28 Posted by UncleEmu (179 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman Inc all the way! (although it might not seem as good if you aren't familiar with Morrison's run)

The Dark Knight is supposed to be good but i have read any

#29 Posted by GuanXe (8 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman Inc.

#30 Posted by SupBatz (1690 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Batwoman best. But if we're taking specifically books that star Batman,

Detective Comics (under Layman) has been really great. The only real downside to it is that his current story arc gets interupted too often and has already lost its luster as a result. But the writing is always good and interesting.

Batman and Robin started off great. Got pretty bad. Then picked up the pace again as of late.

Batman is a matter of taste. It's definitely not the amazing Batman story some make it out to be. But it is consistently very good, in my opinion.

Batman TDK started off horrible, got a new writer, and has picked up since. But I still think it's among the weakest of the Bat-books.

And Batman, Inc... one will enjoy it if one has been reading Morrison's run on Batman since before the New 52 started. But it really is a matter of taste. Morrison's done some great stuff but as a whole I'm not a fan of his writing style.

#31 Posted by consolemaster001 (4938 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman inc.

#32 Posted by RustyRoy (10846 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally read Batman an Robin 18 and I have to say it's the best new 52 single issue I've read so far. Anyway I'm reading all the titles featuring Batman and for me it goes like this :

1. Batman and Robin.
  2. Batman Inc.
  3. Batman.
  4. Detective comics.
  5. The Dark Knight.

I'm enjoying all of them. The story and art is great in all these titles.

#33 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6091 posts) - - Show Bio

@End_Boss said:

@gotwillpower said:

Greg Capullo's art has been the best of any Bat-book (and probably any DC book) since the New 52 started.

Agreed.

#34 Posted by RustyRoy (10846 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@End_Boss said:

@gotwillpower said:

Agreed.

I actually prefer Batman and Robins art but Batwoman is a very close second.

#35 Posted by saoakden (1017 posts) - - Show Bio

I read Batman, Batman and Robin and Detective Comics. I'm going to read the The Dark Knight and Batman Inc. I'm behind in Detective. My favorite issue from Batman is either Issue 10 or 11. Batman and Robin, the annual, though I haven't read issue 18 yet. Favorite story arc is either the Nobody arc from Batman and Robin and the Court of Owls story. I like the Court of Owls story arc more though.

#36 Posted by xtremekidx (576 posts) - - Show Bio

batman ....the court of owls was very amazing,the first issue of DOTF was awesome as well

#37 Posted by MSzekeresh (94 posts) - - Show Bio

While I can't recommend it for die-hard comic book readers and older fans Batman The Dark Knight would be a great way for new readers to experience the character. The art is fantastic and the stories are rather short and feature a who's who of Batman's classic villains. I gave up the book because it lacked depth but I could understand why others like it.

#38 Posted by DEGRAAF (7870 posts) - - Show Bio

Nightwing #18

#39 Posted by wessaari (621 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman and Batwoman hands down. i don't see why everyone is so in love with B&R. It opened strong but really sucked up towards DOTF. I hear the annual was top notch, and 18 was its best issue, but that series was incredibly inconsistent. Issue 18 was great and all, but Batman and Batwoman are the only two series I have seen that have stayed at a high consistency

#40 Posted by JamesKM716 (1992 posts) - - Show Bio

@Reignmaker said:

Going off what we've seen since the New 52, Batman is the best for its consistent quality. Batman & Robin has reached greater heights but has also dropped to lower lows in terms of quality. After that you have everything else. If you're a Grant Morrison fan, I'd say Batman Inc. takes up the number 3 slot.

I agree with this.

Glad I'm not a Morrison fan though :P

(At this point I'd rate Detective Comics as Number 3, Layman has been killing it over there)

#41 Posted by consolemaster001 (4938 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

Finally read Batman an Robin 18 and I have to say it's the best new 52 single issue I've read so far. Anyway I'm reading all the titles featuring Batman and for me it goes like this :

1. Batman and Robin.
  2. Batman Inc.
  3. Batman.
  4. Detective comics.
  5. The Dark Knight.

I'm enjoying all of them. The story and art is great in all these titles.

This.

However i'd put Batman Inc. over Batman and Robin

#42 Posted by batshrine (969 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly really liked how Death of the Family ended. But I like anything Batman so as long as Batman shows up in the comic, I am happy. (thats an oversimplification but ya)

#43 Posted by thejman250 (154 posts) - - Show Bio

- Up until the Batman Inc 8 stunt, i would have said Batman and Robin.

- After that, i'm not really sure.

- My personal favorite is RHATO, but i don't really find much of the Batman comics in the New 52 to be good books. Richard and Barbara get consistently trounced in their own books, Catwoman is a mess as always, and i'm not a fan of Snyder's run at all. Moreover, TT is ok but not very related to the rest of the Batman comics outside of the DOTF crossover. With that being said, i'll say either B&R depending on how things turn out after Batman and Nightwing, or RHATO.

#44 Edited by drgnx (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman and Robin has been awesome and has great art, it seemed to be the least gritty or gothic, which was a nice change.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.