What's riding Bat-Mite in R.I.P?

#1 Edited by 12ty12 (57 posts) - - Show Bio

In Batman R.I.P there's this dragon/alien thing riding Bat-Mite throughout his appearance.  Does anyone know what it is or its meaning? I read Batman the Black Casebook thinking it was some bizarre 1950's reference, but to no avail. 

Green glowing eyes?     

Green arm/tentacle over Bat-Mite's shoulder?

Tentacles and a tail?

An eye and some fingers.

#2 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

I just noticed that O_O

#3 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

WTF?!?!

#4 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

OH WOW! Just noticed that! WEIRD! O___O

#5 Posted by 12ty12 (57 posts) - - Show Bio

More Bite-Mite with his ?????? on his back. 

#6 Posted by Bearded Justice (751 posts) - - Show Bio

could be a strange referance to what pilots see on, or around their planes.  a lot of British pilots claimed to see weird things during WWII.   
ever seen that Twilight Zone episode with William Shatner?  this is what im talking about. 
cant remember the name they were given. 
Foo Fighter? 
Gremlin? 
i dont know.
#7 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8900 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by johnny_spam (2037 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that that is how Bat-Mite really looks but he puts on the visage of a little guy in a Bat costume. That would go with Grant Morrison's idea of taking even the weird things of Batman's history and making it canon. Like there can be a dark take on Bat-Mite because the Batman universe can be dark.

#9 Posted by 12ty12 (57 posts) - - Show Bio

@johnny_spam said:

I think that that is how Bat-Mite really looks but he puts on the visage of a little guy in a Bat costume. That would go with Grant Morrison's idea of taking even the weird things of Batman's history and making it canon. Like there can be a dark take on Bat-Mite because the Batman universe can be dark.

You got it right.

MORRISON spoke about it at NYCC:

Morrison finally revealed the green monster over the shoulder of Bat-mite in "Batman: RIP" to be what Bat-mite actually looks like in the fifth dimension peeking out.

"I had this idea the creatures in the fifth dimension were so appalling to look at, they couldn't show themselves to humans. It's not because they're bad, it's just because if we were to look at them we'd fall apart and shit ourselves. Bat-mite very kindly disguises himself as a child-like version of Batman. What you see is the face of something in the fifth dimension.

"The imagination is the fifth dimension. I was proposing the notion the fifth dimension is in your mind."

#10 Posted by SmashBrawler (5955 posts) - - Show Bio

@12ty12 said:

@johnny_spam said:

You got it right.

MORRISON spoke about it at NYCC:

Morrison finally revealed the green monster over the shoulder of Bat-mite in "Batman: RIP" to be what Bat-mite actually looks like in the fifth dimension peeking out.

"I had this idea the creatures in the fifth dimension were so appalling to look at, they couldn't show themselves to humans. It's not because they're bad, it's just because if we were to look at them we'd fall apart and shit ourselves. Bat-mite very kindly disguises himself as a child-like version of Batman. What you see is the face of something in the fifth dimension.

"The imagination is the fifth dimension. I was proposing the notion the fifth dimension is in your mind."

Man, finally an answer to this! This thing has been bugging me for years!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.