What version of Batman do you prefer?

#1 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

Just asking this out of curiosity.

  • The Detective version who uses his wits
  • The one that is a very good fighter
  • The one that relies on his gadgets

Batman is all 3 of those. But if you had to choose one, which one do you like as Batman?

#2 Posted by MasterDetective (831 posts) - - Show Bio

The Detective version who uses his wits

#3 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

@MasterDetective said:

The Detective version who uses his wits

Why?

#4 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll input my opinion on this. While Batman is all 3 of those, I've asked for people to choose out of the 3 given. Even though I like the fighting one and the Detective one, I prefer the gadget one. But not so over the top that he's using anti-everything spray.

#5 Posted by MasterDetective (831 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicdude23 said:

@MasterDetective said:

The Detective version who uses his wits

Why?

Because I'm a detective fan, I like stories where a character solves a mystery with his mind (like Sherlock Holmes, Columbo, Detective Conan...)

#6 Edited by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

@MasterDetective said:

@comicdude23 said:

@MasterDetective said:

The Detective version who uses his wits

Why?

Because I'm a detective fan, I like stories where a character solves a mystery with his mind (like Sherlock Holmes, Columbo, Detective Conan...)

I see. Just curious, even tho this off-topic. What did you think of the new Holmes movie? I expected a good ole fashion Detective movie but there martial arts crap involved. IMO, it got the Hollywood treatment.

#7 Posted by MasterDetective (831 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicdude23 said:

@MasterDetective said:

@comicdude23 said:

@MasterDetective said:

The Detective version who uses his wits

Why?

Because I'm a detective fan, I like stories where a character solves a mystery with his mind (like Sherlock Holmes, Columbo, Detective Conan...)

I see. Just curious, even tho this off-topic. What did you think of the new Holmes? I expected a good ole fashion Detective movie but there martial arts crap involved. IMO, it got the Hollywood treatment.

I liked the movie, and Sherlock did practice martial arts in the original books too

#8 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

@MasterDetective said:

@comicdude23 said:

@MasterDetective said:

@comicdude23 said:

@MasterDetective said:

The Detective version who uses his wits

Why?

Because I'm a detective fan, I like stories where a character solves a mystery with his mind (like Sherlock Holmes, Columbo, Detective Conan...)

I see. Just curious, even tho this off-topic. What did you think of the new Holmes? I expected a good ole fashion Detective movie but there martial arts crap involved. IMO, it got the Hollywood treatment.

I liked the movie, and Sherlock did practice martial arts in the original books too

True.

#9 Posted by MasterDetective (831 posts) - - Show Bio

Returning to topic, I hated Batman's use of detective abilities in some comics, but I do like it in TAS

#10 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

@MasterDetective said:

Returning to topic, I hated Batman's use of detective abilities in some comics, but I do like it in TAS

Why did you hate them?

#11 Posted by MasterDetective (831 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman is presented as a brilliant investigator with deductive reasonings on pair with Sherlock Holmes and forensic abilities of the best CSI member. Yet, never have I saw any of those traits while reading comics, it's quite the contrary.

For example (SPOILER): In The Long Halloween, he thought Two-Face was responsible for the crimes when it was his wife! Even CalendarMan deduced it. Hell, in Dark Victory he asks the RIDDLER to solve a puzzle for him!!! Who's supposed to be the smartest detective here? And I won't even talk about the Hush saga...

At least I don't complain about The animated series and it's comic counterpart where he's truly shown as a detective. But to be honest, I've read some Green Arrow comics where I have the feeling even he is worthy of being the world's greatest detective.

#12 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

daaaamn!! its a tough god damn... goood question! I would take, the batman that can fight, because I think bats would seriously die, if he didnt know how to fight.

#13 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

@MasterDetective: Batman's lack of impressive detective skills in the comics is often a result of writers who don't have the wit to craft intricate deductions. I'm sure there are examples of Batman being a great detective in the comics... but I can't really think of any at the moment. I often feel that the writers of the animated series do a far better job than the majority of comic writers.

#14 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

In regards to this question, I choose detective Batman because I'm a huge fan of detective stories. We have enough martial artists and gadget heroes already, but when you really like at it, there are few heroes in the world of comics who are just detectives, and rely on their wit more than anything else.

#15 Posted by Alexander505 (2144 posts) - - Show Bio

You forgot also as a scientist and strategist ;)

Anyway, for me... I don't know, Batman is all this. Hard choice.

#16 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

@Imagine_man15 so true!!!

#17 Posted by soduh2 (865 posts) - - Show Bio

@MasterDetective said:

Batman is presented as a brilliant investigator with deductive reasonings on pair with Sherlock Holmes and forensic abilities of the best CSI member. Yet, never have I saw any of those traits while reading comics, it's quite the contrary.

For example (SPOILER): In The Long Halloween, he thought Two-Face was responsible for the crimes when it was his wife! Even CalendarMan deduced it. Hell, in Dark Victory he asks the RIDDLER to solve a puzzle for him!!! Who's supposed to be the smartest detective here? And I won't even talk about the Hush saga...

At least I don't complain about The animated series and it's comic counterpart where he's truly shown as a detective. But to be honest, I've read some Green Arrow comics where I have the feeling even he is worthy of being the world's greatest detective.

I think the Hush story was justified.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.