What type of Batman fans are on this board?

• 55 results
#1 Edited by lewismcgregor (75 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey Guys, Girls…

I’ve been hired to produce a video essay on the impact comic books have had on modern culture. The ComicVine forums, specifically the Batman forums are my final drop off point for collecting data.

I want to put out a question, and I’m looking for honest replies. Although I’m not exactly expecting the class groups listed below to answer for themselves.

There seems to be three different core* Batman fans:

The Batman extremist.

Loves all things Batman; t-shirts, posters, films. If there’s a question on who would win in a fight and no matter whom the opponent is, to this type of fan Batman will always win, and with no real reason, either because he is Batman or because they have watched Justice League Doom. Amusingly though this fan has hardly read any actual Batman source material if he or she has read anything it is likely to be Batman: Year One, or Batman: The Dark Knight Returns.

The Nolan extremist.

This fan worships The Dark Knight Trilogy like no other, to them it is the greatest trilogy of all time and if anybody says anything different they will be cut down. Despite the trilogy having not a lot of similarities an actual Batman comic book, this fan sources all their Batman information from the films and they too have had very little experience with actually reading any Batman source material, but will argue relentless on keeping Batman's status higher than anybody else's status.

The Batfan.

This fan collects every bit of data about Batman and processes it thoroughly. He or she is subscribed to all, or just about all Bat-Family related comic runs and has a shelf or two dedicated to Bat graphic novels. Like the Batman extremist this fan also collects the t-shirts and other merchandise, but is more selective over what they buy, the item would usually be more valuable and keepsake like a Kotobukiya statue. These fans admire the Nolan films but find another visual medium such as the animated series far superior. They are also first to admit where Batman would lose. Fascinatingly enough this fan is also the quietest, despite having the most accurate knowledge of the character.

As the title says, what fans reside on this forum?

*Core doesn't include the casual reader.

#2 Posted by FatihBATMAN (1389 posts) - - Show Bio

Im the Batfan :)

#3 Posted by BlackReaper (595 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a Batman wins with prep guy.

#4 Posted by Joygirl (18505 posts) - - Show Bio

I fit the Batfan description.

#5 Edited by Kangaxx_54 (303 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm, I think I'd be #3, the Batfan. I haven't been in the fandom very long though, and my knowledge is still fairly limited, and I mostly collect trades (I like the look of them on my shelf, and with no LCS, it's either wait or go all digital). I wouldn't characterize myself as a casual fan, however - I spend far too much time in the fandom, even if it's mostly as a lurker. But I am the type to trawl through all available books, or in this case, comics, and collect all sorts of weird knowledge. I focus my readings on the core Batman books, but have also bought comics from the other members of the batfamily. Not as many though - I still have a lot of regular Batman trades to get through.

The Nolan trilogy was very good, but I rate it as professional fanfiction - it's not the real batman. I'm also very picky when it comes to merchandise - it has to be the perfect thing, not just the first the best (which is also why I don't have much in the way of merchandise as it stands). I don't like it when Batman loses, but I do think he'd lose in a straight-up fight with fx. Superman - but then again, I like Batman because he's all about finding alternative ways to win.

Hope this helps. Will you link us the video essay when it is finished?

#6 Edited by lewismcgregor (75 posts) - - Show Bio

@kangaxx_54 said:

Hmm, I think I'd be #3, the Batfan. I haven't been in the fandom very long though, and my knowledge is still fairly limited, and I mostly collect trades (I like the look of them on my shelf, and with no LCS, it's either wait or go all digital). I wouldn't characterize myself as a casual fan, however - I spend far too much time in the fandom, even if it's mostly as a lurker. But I am the type to trawl through all available books, or in this case, comics, and collect all sorts of weird knowledge. I focus my readings on the core Batman books, but have also bought comics from the other members of the batfamily. Not as many though - I still have a lot of regular Batman trades to get through.

The Nolan trilogy was very good, but I rate it as professional fanfiction - it's not the real batman. I'm also very picky when it comes to merchandise - it has to be the perfect thing, not just the first the best (which is also why I don't have much in the way of merchandise as it stands). I don't like it when Batman loses, but I do think he'd lose in a straight-up fight with fx. Superman - but then again, I like Batman because he's all about finding alternative ways to win.

Hope this helps. Will you link us the video essay when it is finished?

I will do my best to! I have only worked on this type of job three times (this being the third) and with educational content it kind of disappears once I submit the final edit over. However I have become quite fond of the video and would love to put it up on YouTube or something, I'll see what happens!

*edit, thanks for your answers too.

#7 Edited by ULTRAstarkiller (5881 posts) - - Show Bio

Batfan

#8 Posted by SmashBrawler (5495 posts) - - Show Bio

I suppose I fit the Batfan definition but I don't buy all the Batman titles out there, mostly because I don't have enough money to buy bad stuff I don't like.

#9 Edited by lewismcgregor (75 posts) - - Show Bio

To the Batfans that have answered, how does this type of commentary make you feel — On the YouTube video "Christopher Nolan & Christian Bale Reuniting For 'Justice League'?"

A user commented "No, they need to have a more comic book oriented Batman. One who is a ninja, doesn't wear armor, doesn't have a gravelly voice, and actually has a real Robin and Cat Woman by his side."

Then another user replied to that comment with "get out of here u comic reading kid this is 18+ zone !" the same user then said "pardon my capslock but i wanna say it...I AM FINALLY HAPPY TO SEE SENSIBLE PEOPLE COMMENTING HERE WHO ACTUALLY KNOW THE TRUE LEGACY OF BATMAN AND UNDERSTAND THE REAL ACTING OF BALE AS BATMAN ...no one on this planet can play better batman than bale !"

This user apparently understands the true legacy of Batman, except he thinks reading comics (where the true legacy of Batman is held) is for kids.

Does this type of commentary make you angry, or do you ignore it?

#10 Posted by MrShway88 (655 posts) - - Show Bio

Closer to a batfan.

#11 Posted by tupiaz (2170 posts) - - Show Bio

I fit non of the above. I read the comics (tpbs) that I believe will be good/interesting or essential for the Batman mythos. However statues and stuff like that I don't really care for it what is in the comics that counts.

#12 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6093 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really fit any of them, but I'm probably closest to Batfan.

#13 Posted by thejman250 (154 posts) - - Show Bio

- I don't fit any of them, but i am the closest to a "Batfan".

#14 Posted by mpierce2690 (316 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman the Animated Series is my Batman Bible. Love the comics. Love the movies, though The Dark Knight Rises was complete dogshit.

#15 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14587 posts) - - Show Bio

I love how everyone says Batfan when they are actually one or two.

#16 Posted by gotwillpower (679 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a Batfan, if you don't include all the collecting stuff. I just don't have the money for that. But I read all the comics about him that I can!

#17 Posted by batshrine (969 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a BatFan, in everything but the Batman wins thing. I actually think he would win in every fight. As far as everything else though I fit Batfan to a T. I will say you are going on a Comic sight, and sure you have your Nolanverse diehards, or the Batman Extremists that know Batman on a very surface level, but I am positive you will find mostly BatFans on here.

#18 Posted by Stronger (4948 posts) - - Show Bio

I am definatelly a Batfan.

#19 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

Perusing the Batman forumns I wouldnt have guessed so many batfans. I wish you guys would speak up more. The other two catagories are so annoying.

#20 Posted by sockman19 (61 posts) - - Show Bio

I love how everyone says Batfan when they are actually one or two.

Spoken like a Batman Extremist.

Seems to me like the most typical type of fan on this board are the arrogant, presumptuous fans who make comments like this.

#21 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm the Batfan, though the OP is extremely harsh on the Nolan trilogy, and basically has no idea what he's talking about.

#22 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14587 posts) - - Show Bio

@sockman19: You forgot to call me self-centered.

#23 Posted by Pyrogram (35103 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Posted by lewismcgregor (75 posts) - - Show Bio

@fadetoblackbolt: So you mean you're the die-hard Nolan fan? As for every time I have posted/asked a question like this when I receive a reply like yours "he basically has no idea what he's talking about." or something like "you're an idiot", it doesn't take much to see that I've hit a Nolan nerve.

@kangaxx_54: @gotwillpower: @batshrine: Would you guys be up for an e-mail interview to expand on your answers?

#25 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@lewismcgregor: Yeah, that must be it. Or it could be that by saying "the only thing the Nolan movies have in common with the comics is the names" you're establishing yourself as a whole other kind of "fan."

And just ftr, I know more about Batman (in any medium) than you do. Kind of shoots a hole in your "only knows about the movies" designation for a Nolan fan.

#26 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

Guy who wrote this is a serious elitist jerk.

#27 Posted by Saren (25277 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone needs their money back.

#28 Posted by lewismcgregor (75 posts) - - Show Bio

@fadetoblackbolt: I think you have misinterpreted my post. I have said there are 3 core fan groups, the areas in the middle have not been specified for this forum post. You are either one or the other, or neither. If you're a huge huge fan of the movies and collect all the comics then you do not fall into any of those categories.

From the research I have conducted and the data I have collected these are the three main groups. From the interviews I have instigated a lot of Batfans find that the Nolan films have little that relate to the comic series. As someone already stated, they find it professional fan-fiction.

But you seem to be a big fan of both, would you be interested in an e-mail interview to explain your experience?

#29 Edited by sinestro_GL (3050 posts) - - Show Bio

After reading the OP, why would anyone say anything other than Batfan? The description is rather leading...jus' sayin'

#30 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm Batman.

#31 Edited by consolemaster001 (4943 posts) - - Show Bio

Batfan

#32 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6093 posts) - - Show Bio

After reading the OP, why would anyone say anything other than Batfan? The description is rather leading...jus' sayin'

That's actually a good point, the wording could've been better.

Maybe a questionnaire would have been better, and the results could be added up to determine what kind of fan you are.

#33 Edited by nightwing89 (17 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say 3. But I still think Batman would win any fight, and I thought that long before I saw Justice League Doom. But I also have reasons for that. Batman: The Animated Series is the best adaptation to me. But I also love Nolan's trilogy, and I strongly disagree with it having nothing to do with Batman comics. There are clear references to Year One, The Long Halloween, Knightfall, and The Dark Knight Returns, among others.

#34 Posted by batshrine (969 posts) - - Show Bio

@lewismcgregor: Ya sure, would you like to do it over personal message?

#35 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a weird mix of different categories, I guess.

- I don't think that Batman would win every fight with prep time. Morrison's original idea of 'Batgod' was to make him be able to stay on the same level as the rest of the League. But newer writers have misconstrued that as an excuse to make him an unstoppable badass that trumps everyone (Hi, JLA Classified!). Of course, Internet memes also have a fault in this.

- I don't really collect everything Batman. While he is my favorite character, and his merchandise is probably the first I would look for, I don't consciously try to get all Bat-related goodies. I'd rather have the comics, movies, games, animated series, and the occasional action figure. Any other ephemera is really inconsequential for me.

- I'm a fan of the Nolan trilogy, I admit. I haven't seen BTAS in its entirety, so I can't comment on whether it's better, but for now I do like the Nolan trilogy a whole lot. It's my favorite movie trilogy, and I think it raised the bar for superhero movies to a whole new level. Superman and Batman set the standard for the comic-book movie, X-Men and Spider-Man brought it to the intelligent level, and the Dark Knight raised it to the universally-acceptable level. It's by no means perfect, but still the best superhero trilogy in my mind.

- I don't own every comic or run of Batman. I have most of the classics, and the few odd issues here and there (Legends of the Dark Knight is fantastic, by the way), but I don't really have a whole lot of Bats comics. I spread my comic choices a lot, so I have about a similar amount of books for all of my favorites. Still, it depends on my mood I suppose. Some days I like a gritty Bats story, others not so much.

#36 Posted by TDK_1997 (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm the Batfan.

#37 Posted by Kangaxx_54 (303 posts) - - Show Bio

Have to agree with others, the descriptions are biased. The word extremist in #1 and #2 itself is enough, and I don't see any reason to use that word for the first two categories but not number 3.

Would you guys be up for an e-mail interview to expand on your answers?

Sure. Can we do it by PM?

#38 Posted by gotwillpower (679 posts) - - Show Bio

@lewismcgregor: Yeah, I'll do an email interview! Or message interview through comicvine. Doesn't matter.

#39 Posted by olbassey (59 posts) - - Show Bio

Can I consider myself a fan of Batman if I'm always rooting for the super villains?

#40 Posted by LyraFay (2470 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a new comic book Batman fan, I only really knew him from films and the animated series over the years!! So I'm not sure how close I am to those stereotypes of the fans. I read the comics and really enjoyed the Nolan movies and animated series (BTAS, Batman Beyond, The Batman and Batman: The Brave and The Bold).

#41 Posted by UncleEmu (179 posts) - - Show Bio

@lewismcgregor said:

The Nolan extremist.

Despite the trilogy having not a lot of similarities an actual Batman comic book

Year One, Dark Knight Returns, Son of the Demon, Knightfall, The Killing Joke, The Long Halloween

#42 Posted by AkaBoAli (44 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a Batfan that welcomes every other kind. Batman is not only my favorite fictional character in comics, but in other platforms. I was introduced to the character through the 89 movie, and since then, I've been a loyal reader of Batman's comics and try to follow him everywhere.

#43 Edited by sambuscus (32 posts) - - Show Bio

Im a Batfan, collecting and memorizing information about batman, having read a good amount of the comics, reasearched him, memorized all of his feats and his physical abilities and limits, watched every animated series, animated movie, and regular movie, BUT after all of that i still harbor this ridiculously strong belief that batman would win against ANYBODY. I enjoy Nolan's batman but think they're WAY far off from the comics in certain aspects

#44 Posted by CalebHara (2329 posts) - - Show Bio

Recently, i have seen more Batman haters than i have seen Batman fanboys.

#45 Posted by MasterDetective (799 posts) - - Show Bio

batfan

#46 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2113 posts) - - Show Bio

BATFAN

#47 Posted by Reignmaker (2227 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone needs their money back.

I thought the same thing.

#49 Edited by BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow (1391 posts) - - Show Bio

Ummm I am none of these I love batman to the core but i know he wouldent win some fights but he is one of my favorite heroes. have read most of his graphic novels but sometimes I have only read them for an appearance of Bane so technically I'm a hardcore Bane fan! I guess I maybe could be a BatFan?

#50 Edited by ngroove (321 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's see.

I grew up watching 60s Batman, syndicated on Family Channel, thus first Batman book obtained when I started reading Batman in earnest, "Batman in the Sixties". Also have Showcase Presents Batman Vol.1-4. Despite collection of Showcases, a few Archives, Chronicles, and Batman in the Decade Series, otherwise, I LOATHE the "graphic novel", thus preferring the "real things", the comics, if affordable. Oldest comic I've got, a Detective Comics from 1963, and also hold a Batman 232 and 251 in collection.

Am a classic Batman reader, meaning I often prefer collecting his 60s to early-mid 80s adventures, don't care for Modern (Post Crisis) much - many stories - from Year One-On, just plain bores me. Although have a soft spot for Alan Grant, Knightfall, Hush, and Paul Dini, and an occassional today's Batman / Detective / Dark Knight / Batgirl / Catwoman / Arkham Unhinged, according to art /story quality, and which Bat-Villain is in it.

I occasionally watch Batman Animated Series, ONLY when it's on television, solely for time-killing purposes only, as I highly don't care for the show anymore, as I find it overrated, and it's a lot more serious (unfunny, uncartoony, boring) nature than true cartoons, such as Batman-wise, Batman: the Brave & the Bold.

Could not care any less about Bat-merchandise other than comics; why pay $20, even hundreds, on toys to statues, when it could be used instead on more comics?

Ohhh yeah; for the most part, only Batman I aknowledge as Batman is Bruce Wayne, Robin, mostly Dick Grayson, and Batgirl, 100% Barbara Gordon.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.