Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23619 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

What to read after Final Crisis?

Nijis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Nijis

I was wondering what to read after Final Crisis. Specifically how the Bat family reacts to Bruce's death.

Specifically the comic with the events below

"After the events of Final Crisis, the Batman Family is in shambles with the apparent death of Bruce Wayne. Both Superman and Wonder Woman come to the Batcave to bring Dick Grayson and Tim Drake the cape and cowl Bruce was wearing during his apparent death. Alfred eventually joins to bring both Superman and Wonder Woman their favorite drinks. Feeling bad that he is still working at such an emotional time, Superman asks Alfred if he is alright. With a pause, Alfred states "Am I alright? No, sir. I am not. My son has died." Later, Alfred and Dick have a tearful and emotional conversation about not being ready for what they both knew would eventually happen. Despite Alfred's saddened state, he tells Dick that they must not have a funeral for Batman, if the world was to know that Batman had died, it would destroy the legacy that Bruce spent so much of his life creating, Batman must live. Instead of a funeral, the body that was recovered by Superman after Final Crisis was buried in an unmarked grave next to Thomas and Martha Wayne, with only Bruce's closest friends and allies knowing the location."

serpent222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By serpent222

I'm not sure about the part with Wonder Woman and Superman. The part with Alfred and Dick either happens in Battle for the Cowl or in Batman itself. As a more general answer for what you should read, I certainly recommend the following:

-Battle for the Cowl: Features Dick and Tim arguing over who takes over the mantle of Batman, while trying to figure out who has been posing as him. Has a lot of bat family tie ins.

-Red Robin: A fantastic 26 issue run of Tim Drake taking on the mantle of Red Robin and searching for evidence that Bruce is not dead.

-Batman 687-713 or so, and Detective comics 864-881, which covers Dick's time as Batman. The pre-52 run of Batman and Robin also features Dick as Batman and Damien as Robin.

Mediumguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mediumguy

@Nijis: @serpent222 said:

I'm not sure about the part with Wonder Woman and Superman. The part with Alfred and Dick either happens in Battle for the Cowl or in Batman itself. As a more general answer for what you should read, I certainly recommend the following:

-Battle for the Cowl: Features Dick and Tim arguing over who takes over the mantle of Batman, while trying to figure out who has been posing as him. Has a lot of bat family tie ins.

-Red Robin: A fantastic 26 issue run of Tim Drake taking on the mantle of Red Robin and searching for evidence that Bruce is not dead.

-Batman 687-713 or so, and Detective comics 864-881, which covers Dick's time as Batman. The pre-52 run of Batman and Robin also features Dick as Batman and Damien as Robin.

^This, Batman and Robin Must Die, and The Return of Bruce Wayne1-5

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By JakeN7

The obvious choice would be Batman: Battle for the Cowl. Some others would be Time and the Batman, Batman R.I.P, and the 4 Red Robin trades which chiefly deal with Tim in search of Bruce. You could also see how the Bat-Fam is without him. Try Batman: Life after Death for Dick's first adventure as Batman. But for an overall better story, get Grant Morrison's Batman and Robin run. It's what got me back into comics. Eventually you'll want to read about Bruce's return. I suggest Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne, Bruce Wayne: The Long Road Home, and Batman Incorporated.

But definitely start with Battle for the Cowl!

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SmashBrawler

The stuff with Superman and Wonder Woman happened in Batman 687, the first Batman issue after Battle for the Cowl.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read long shadows too

UncleEmu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Complete Grant Morrison Batman Run and Relevant Tie-ins (Pre-New 52)*

0) The Black Casebook(old Batman comics that Morrison references)

1) Batman and Son(Batman 655-658, 663-666)

2) The Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul ###

3) The Black Glove (Batman 667-669, 672 –675)

4) Heart of Hush (Batman #846-#850)

5) Batman RIP (Batman 676-678)

6) Robin (175-176)

7) Batman RIP(Batman 679-681)

8) Outsiders (11-13) ###

9) Nightwing (147-150)

10) Last Rites - Last Days of Gotham (Detective Comics 851, Batman 684)

11) RIP Missing Chapter(Batman 701)

12) Final Crisis(1-5)

13) Last Rites - Batman(Batman 682-683)

14) Final Crisis (6-7)

15) RIP Missing Chapter(Batman 702)

16) Whatever happened to the Caped Crusader (Batman 686, Detective Comics 853) ###

17) Last Rites - Nightwing (151-153)

18) Last Rites - Faces of Evil Epilogue (Detective Comics 852, Batman 685)

19) Robin (183)

20) Battle for the Cowl

21) Batman Reborn(Batman 687)

22) Batman and Robin (1-12)

23) The Return of Bruce Wayne (1-4)

24) The Road Home Prequel (Batman 703) ###

25) Time and the Batman (Batman 700)

26) Batman and Robin (13-14)

27) The Return of Bruce Wayne (5-6)

28) Batman and Robin (15-16)

29) The Road Home ###

30) Batman:The Return

31) Batman, Inc (1)

32) Batman and Robin (17-25) ###

33) Batman, Inc (2-8)

34) Batman, Inc - Leviathan Strikes!

### - it’s not necessary for understanding of the continuity, but everything on this list is worth

reading at least once just to say you have read it

* - an understanding of Final Crisis and the tie-ins to that would certainly help, and some people

would argue are relevant, but I only wanted to include Batman and Batfamily stuff on this list

Stronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Battle for the Cowl.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.