Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23619 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

What to read?

Brad387

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Brad387

How should I get started with Batman and its universe? Which of the New 52 series should I read? They all feed into a greater Batman universe, right? If that's true, which order should I read them in?

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@brad387: Poor you, no one has replied :(

Well Batman had 3 eras that correspond to DC comics big events and reboot. The events are :

1. Crisis on infinite earth in 1986
    2. Flashpoint in 2011
    3. A new event is now on its way : convergence (2015)

From that you have :

1. the orginal or pre-crisis Batman (this includes the Golden, Siver and Bronze age Batmans)
    2. the modern or post-crisis or pre-flashpoint Batman
    3. new52 or post-flashpoint Batman

Then you also have stories that don't fit in any timeline

• Frank Miller's Dark Knight serie
    • Elseworld stories
    • Alternative earthes stories (earth-1, earth-2,...)

Here is a list you should look into (the important stories are in Bold) : http://www.comicvine.com/profile/batshrine/blog/batman-tpb-complete-chronology/79247/

If you want a quick overview of modern Batman you should read Batman: Hust (even if in my opinion there are much better stories).

Don't start with Grant Morisson's run, you need to know well Batman to get into them, but they are very good books.

New52 has a lot of Batfamily books. You can only read Batman main title to understand the main events. The other books are good reads too, I am pretty fan of the Batman and Robin title.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.