Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23648 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

What's needed for a new Bat villian?

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By batshrine

So I am going to work under the assumption that a good Bat villain, is a reflection of some aspect of Batman in some way, whether its his use of fear (scarecrow), his iconography (man-bat), his duality (two-face), or maybe just his plain opposite (the joker). This reflection is typically done either in a gross exaggeration/perversion, a reversal of what Batman is, or a something like an ideal that Batman is that another villain exhibits equally.

So I propose that working under that assumption a new Bat villain would need to do one of two things:

1. Not be a rehash of another villain (the creation of another Anti-Batman with the existence of Wrath, Prometheus, Owlman, and Deathstroke and many more would make the character feel really boring since we aren't exploring anything new).

2. Explore a side of Batman that has not been explored much at all. For example the seeming need for a huge family, the lack of wanting to kill, or the law is something to defend.

Do you agree? And any villain you'd like to see, and what trait about Batman would that villain reflect?

I personally would love to see two particular villains.

A villain that creates their own "bat-family", that would just be fun!

I would also like a villain that attacks judges, cops, politicians that have made morally questionable decisions that Batman has done nothing about. Like the judge who decided to keep Joker alive. This will pose an interesting question for Batman's total trust in the law even though the law itself is not perfect.

Avatar image for blackhawk000111
    blackhawk000111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By blackhawk000111

I would like a villian which would have super powers of superman level because most of gotham villians dont have super powers, someone who could stand his own for a while against Justice League

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I've always hated the idea that (Batman's) villains need to be a sort of dark reflection of the hero they go against. I mean, sure, it works with a lot of villains and can lead to some interesting stories and thematic interpretations. But it really shouldn't be a prerequisite for a villain that he/she be some twisted version of an aspect of Batman. Two characters can have an interesting relationship and dynamic regardless of how similar or different the two are. It really just depends upon a) the writing and b) how strong/interesting the characters are.

I think that the best villain characters (the Joker, Poison Ivy, the Ventriloquist) start off as an embodiment of an ideal (fear of clowns, ecoterrorism, a fractured mind resulting from inability to express oneself) and then are given greater meaning as time passes. This includes the characters' dynamics with Batman. The Joker didn't start off as a character representing Batman's opposite. He underwent a great many changes over the years since his creation and reached the point he's at now through his continued interactions with Batman. The key to a lasting villain is a strong story with powerful writing. Not just that the character reflect the protagonist.

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By batshrine

@supbatz: It's not the a villain needs to be a reflection of Batman to be interesting or a good villain. But a villain that is a reflection of Batman allows the exploration of Batman's character a bit more indirectly. What happens if Batman went too far with this aspect? What happens when someone doesn't have this aspect of Batman? What happens if an aspect of Batman is in the wrong hands? These are all fascinating questions, that are like cannon what if/else world stories, only Batman gets to kick their butt!

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dr. Hurt, Professor Pig, Ra's al Ghul are different than the typical villains he deals with. I'd also like see Ozymandias type of villain or just make Luthor his enemy for a few years. A super powered (JL level) villain could also be cool.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@batshrine: Fair enough, having a villain who reflects a "What if Batman went too far in this particular area?"-mentality makes for some interesting stories. But I don't think it necessarily needs to be a prerequisite for all of his past, present, and future adversaries.

That being said, the idea of an adversary who has a "Family" similar to his does intrigue. It might be difficult for a writer to balance so many different prominent roles in one story-arc, but the idea sounds like it'd make for a great story.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Originality

Avatar image for blackhawk000111
    blackhawk000111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The new villian should be sane There are too many insane villians

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Muffin_Sangria

maybe a magic villian

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Nothing, we have too many villains already, lets try to bring back some old ones.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing, we have too many villains already, lets try to bring back some old ones.

Yeah I agree with this.

DCrunstheShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DCrunstheShow

good question...I can't add anything specific but charisma, and a personality people find interesting would be key

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.