Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23645 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

What makes Batman an "Anti-Hero"?

CF12793

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CF12793

As far as anti-heroes go, I can understand why most people consider Wolverine, the Punisher and Deadpool at the top of their game. They've all had experiences in the past with killing and bloodshed, and have all done things they've regretted, and are even considered mostly dangerous and "bad" by people who work with them. But why is Batman considered an anti-hero? I mean, he's never killed, he does the right thing all the time, he has a great compassion for human life (even though he doesn't show it often.) Is it because he's so dark and unwilling to trust people? You could consider people like Tony Stark or Hank Pym "anti heroes" as they've done things in the past that doesn't exactly make them look too "heroic".

This isn't a thread started for debate reasons, just a curiosity. Thanks!

TripleJShift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By TripleJShift

I guess it's because of his image, and the way he gets things done. He dresses as a bat. Bats represent evil, and demonic forces. The Batman also is one of the most, if not, the most fearful heroes. He doesn't exactly come of as someone who loves humanity (though he does) His interrogation methods are't exactly 'safe' either. He's always playing the "bad cop," I guess these reasons put together, make him look dark, lethal, and fearful. Thus, making him an "anti-hero."

P.s He's a vigilante, and vigilantism is illegal. So, technically, he's a criminal.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By fodigg

Dupe thread: http://www.comicvine.com/batman/29-1699/what-makes-batman-an-anti-hero/92-714259/

FiMFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FiMFTW

@TripleJShift:

And what superhero ISN'T a vigilante?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.