Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23623 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

What is your beef with Hush?

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Hush the novel, not the character.

What are the main reasons why a lot of people don't like it?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's one of my favorite Batman stories, but I differentiate "favorite" and "best".

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

It's one of my favorite Batman stories, but I differentiate "favorite" and "best".

That's actually a good answer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Nothing, I don't see why people hate it. It is a great book. Awesome art, Hush is cool, we get to see a ton or characters all meshed together nicely, and again, the art was awesome.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

Nothing, I don't see why people hate it. It is a great book. Awesome art, Hush is cool, we get to see a ton or characters all meshed together nicely, and again, the art was awesome.

Yeah.

I've seen a lot of people say that the only reason why people like it is the art.

If that is the only reason why someone likes it, so what?

Art is like 50% of the book.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Hype that didn't pan out for me. *shrugs*

Avatar image for deactivated-5a60370ee1024
    deactivated-5a60370ee1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's one of the worst Batman stories I've read in my entire life, and I've read some pretty bad ones, but the story of Hush takes the cake. The story is awful, the art is great, and everything else is contrived antics that Loeb loves to throw in. Especially that stupid ending with Riddler as the mastermind!

One of the worst aspects of the Hush character, is the fact that he literally Wayne's best friend that he has never mentioned, and we're supposed to accept that he is when he's never been spoken of.

username12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I liked it, it wasn't Knightfall or TDKR or sliced bread, I liked the Superman Batman fight, no matter who people say got the upper hand at the end.

Avatar image for deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3
    deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was a god awful story. Characters were thrown in for no real reason other than "JIM LEE IS DRAWING BATMAN CHARACTERS!!" So many characters appeared for no reason at all. Talia, Ra's, the whole Superman cast, Huntress, Nightwing, Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, Croc.

Batman was written extremely poorly. "Deep down Clark is a good person and deep down I'm not." How is he not a good person, Loeb? "I love her i love her i love her." Holy crap, Bruce, calm down. Surely Batman can control his emotions a little better than that. And he loves Selina for what reason? Oh, because Loeb says so. I almost forgot about when Batman nearly killed the Joker and he needed Gordon to pull his gun in him. Again, Batman has better control over his emotions.

Hush's motivation is absolutely hilarious. "I hate Bruce because his dad didn't let both of my parents die! Wahhwahh!"

Re-reading Hush was painful. The art does not save it in any way, shape, or form. I understand what Loeb and DC wanted to do. They wanted to have Lee draw as many Batman characters as possible, but it could've been executed in a much better manner instead of making sh*t up as the "story" progressed. Perhaps Loeb could've written smaller, self-contained stories. Idk, I'm just spitballing. Still more effort than Loeb put into trying to make a cohesive story.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I liked it but I don't get the hype.

Its the classic Loeb formula of decompressed plot, with guest stars. Hush motivations were inane imo.

I feel it is a great way to enter and learn the basics of Batman's lore.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@deathstroke52: No love nor hate, it's just a fun book to read with a midiocre storyline that is balance by guests, lots of vilains and action scenes.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't know that I have a "beef" with Hush. Rather that I just don't understand why anyone would think it's great, much less place it on a Top 25 Batman comic list. At best its just ok, and the two things I like most about it are the art and the fact that its a story where you get to see the majority of Batman's most well known Rogues. Beyond that, the story itself isn't anything spectacular. The main plot concerns a mystery which is paper thin from the start. So the story kind of falls apart right there, because you're wondering why these amazing detectives within can't figure it out. The writer pointing out that Thomas Elliot is a character that's never been mentioned before also doesn't help or make the story better, it makes it worse because even he's aware of the silliness going on. You then have him pushing Hush as some new big bad villain who knows who Bruce is, and has spent all this time watching and studying him. Stories like that work best (Same issue I have with Court of Owls) when the writer(s) build it up over actual time, hinting at and mentioning it here and there in previous works. Of course that didn't happen with Hush because the character was just created for this work.

As a villain Hush is also hyped up throughout the story as this guy that's basically running rings around Batman, whose plan Batman can't figure out and who he can't find. He's then working with, training, and manipulating every other villain that shows up. Yet when he and Batman finally meet for their big battle it's just a mediocre fight in which the guy reveals his ID and manages to escape into thin air. There's never really a point once he shows up where I feel like he was an actual threat, was scared of him, or really even felt that he was on the level of most of the other Rogues. Then the conclusion with the Riddler? What?! No, Nygma doesn't give a damn whether he's the only one that knows the answer to a riddle Bruce, and i'm certain that other people realized this, hence them very quickly having him forget about Bruce's ID after the fact.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tons of moments feel like that.
    Tons of moments feel like that.

Its fun and all.

But just that, is a fun story.

Nothing beyond that.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Spidey_Jackson

Because it felt like poorly written fanfiction.

And the art was medicore at best.

Beata

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.